PDA

View Full Version : Mets dump Randolph and others, Jerry Manuel takes over as interim manager

ChiWhiteSox1337
06-17-2008, 04:47 AM
After winning last night's ballgame against the Angels 9-6, the Mets fired Willie Randolph, pitching coach Rick Peterson, and their first base coach Tom Nieto. I don't think Randolph getting fired was all that surprising, the thing that caught my attention was that Jerry Manuel managed to keep his job and get promoted to the role of interim manager. I wish him the best of luck with this talented yet underachieving bunch!

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/17/sports/baseball/17cnd-mets.html?ref=baseball

Railsplitter
06-17-2008, 06:18 AM
The best thing that can happen for the Mets is for Manuel to be a place holder for the rest of the season.

Frater Perdurabo
06-17-2008, 06:29 AM
No reason to do anything but wish Manuel the best.

DumpJerry
06-17-2008, 06:53 AM
Well, it's now clear that Mets' management does not lurk at WSI. If they did, they might see my username and make an inquiry about its source.:tongue:

DrCrawdad
06-17-2008, 07:21 AM
No reason to do anything but wish Manuel the best.

Best wishes Jerry The Gent! I hope the Mets win the NL East and then IF the Cubbies win the NL Central that the Mets crush them with Jerry The Gent managing them.

the1tab
06-17-2008, 07:51 AM
The Mets apparently fired Randolph at 3:15 AM EST by press release only AFTER he had fielded questions about the game and his pending firing after the game. The GM, Omar Minaya, was not available for comment when the firings were announced.

This just makes you appreciate a class organization like the White Sox (and Cubs, and most of the rest of professional sports). As Scott Van Pelt said on Mike & Mike this morning, someone in their front office needs to "grow a pair" and do something right. This is a joke. They fly the guy 3,000 miles to play one game and then fire him in the middle of the night after all the NY papers have been run and sent out? Are you serious?

How about this. Omar can sit there and watch a bunch of 20-somethings with more talent than perhaps even they know suck for 9 months. He can be the sounding board for the media. He can be responsible for their inability to close games. He can be on the hook when they're out at the clubs late enough that the only other thing happening in NY City is... the Mets firing people. And then he can tell us with a straight face why he flew Willie Randolph three thousand miles and fired him at 3 AM.

spawn
06-17-2008, 07:54 AM
The Mets apparently fired Randolph at 3:15 AM EST by press release only AFTER he had fielded questions about the game and his pending firing after the game. The GM, Omar Minaya, was not available for comment when the firings were announced.

This just makes you appreciate a class organization like the White Sox (and Cubs, and most of the rest of professional sports). As Scott Van Pelt said on Mike & Mike this morning, someone in their front office needs to "grow a pair" and do something right. This is a joke. They fly the guy 3,000 miles to play one game and then fire him in the middle of the night after all the NY papers have been run and sent out? Are you serious?

How about this. Omar can sit there and watch a bunch of 20-somethings with more talent than perhaps even they know suck for 9 months. He can be the sounding board for the media. He can be responsible for their inability to close games. He can be on the hook when they're out at the clubs late enough that the only other thing happening in NY City is... the Mets firing people. And then he can tell us with a straight face why he flew Willie Randolph three thousand miles and fired him at 3 AM.
Classless move by Mets management. Everyone knew it was only a matter of time before Randolph was fired. But to have the guy fly out to California and then release the news at 3:00 in the morning is a joke.

peeonwrigley
06-17-2008, 07:58 AM
Jerry!

the1tab
06-17-2008, 08:01 AM
Classless move by Mets management. Everyone knew it was only a matter of time before Randolph was fired. But to have the guy fly out to Seattle and then release the news at 3:00 in the morning is a joke.

They're in Los Angeles. If they fired him in Seattle, the story wouldn't have broken yet... mostly because they aren't playing much baseball up there.

However, Seattle might be an easy landing spot for Randolph. Thoughts?

palehozenychicty
06-17-2008, 08:10 AM

The Wilpons have been doing this for a long time and it shows in the uneven performance of this franchise despite having a top payroll. Poor leadership personifies the Metropolitans to a tee, and it starts at the top.

I_Liked_Manuel
06-17-2008, 08:20 AM
best of luck to jerry

Roadblock Jones
06-17-2008, 08:32 AM
The Mets deserve whatever hammering they will get for orchestrating the whacking this way, even though I am sure they did it with the idea that it would be more dignified for Willie. That's how out-of-touch they are.

Beyond that there are not too many tears to shed. The team has been at sea for more than a year.

Can someone give me a few things I'll like about Jerry? And why will I hate him?

the1tab
06-17-2008, 08:34 AM
I pray for Jerry Manuel.

The poor guy got roasted in Chicago for being boring... and now he's taking over the Mod Edit: This is a violation of the language filters, just type the word and let the filter do its job - sh**storm called the Mets? I wouldn't wish that job on my worst enemy.

eriqjaffe
06-17-2008, 08:36 AM
This just makes you appreciate a class organization like the White Sox (and Cubs, and most of the rest of professional sports). As Scott Van Pelt said on Mike & Mike this morning, someone in their front office needs to "grow a pair" and do something right. This is a joke. They fly the guy 3,000 miles to play one game and then fire him in the middle of the night after all the NY papers have been run and sent out? Are you serious?Yeah, at least the Sox only made Fisk travel to Cleveland before cutting him. :wink:

Jeckle2000
06-17-2008, 08:36 AM
Jerry Manual wasn't a bad manager in the beginning if I recall. He just got lazy. I just hope this time around is better for him.

ondafarm
06-17-2008, 08:37 AM
I like Willie Randolph. He was a hard-nosed player and an intelligent guy with class. I wish him the best.

I think Omar did something classless by firing him this way.

I wish Jerry luck, especially because they are playing the Angels right now.

VenturaFan23
06-17-2008, 08:38 AM
best of luck to jerry

They better Come Ready to Play!

guillen4life13
06-17-2008, 08:56 AM
They better Come Ready to Play!

You better Bring Your A Game!

DumpJerry
06-17-2008, 08:59 AM
It doesn't matter this season. The Phillies are running away with this one all the way to the World Series (sorry Crawdad, Homefish and all the other Cub fans who post here).

Viva Medias B's
06-17-2008, 09:03 AM
If the Mets do not rebound, how long before we see...

:firejerry

...on Met message boards?

the1tab
06-17-2008, 09:05 AM
If the Mets do not rebound, how long before we see...

:firejerry

...on Met message boards?

I'll throw the over/under at the 4th of July...

Takers?

WhiteSox5187
06-17-2008, 09:37 AM
Well, I think that something needed to be done with Willie just for the players, he needed a vote of confidence or to be fired or something, but as another poster noted, this has been the Wilpon's way of operating for a long time. I also think by using the press release Minaya was saying more or less that he didn't want to do this, but was forced to. I am curious to see how the Mets respond now that they have that cloud gone from hanging over their head, there's a lot of talent on that roster. If they can get to .500 I wouldn't count them out making a run at the division or the Wild Card...having said that though I'm not so sure Jerry Manuel is the right choice either. He always had the most talent in the AL Central (with the exception of maybe early on, from 1998-2000ish) and could never get it done. We'll see.

palehozenychicty
06-17-2008, 10:10 AM
I like Willie Randolph. He was a hard-nosed player and an intelligent guy with class. I wish him the best.

I think Omar did something classless by firing him this way.

I wish Jerry luck, especially because they are playing the Angels right now.

Omar is just following orders from the Wilpons, namely Fred's son, Jeff. He wanted Willie out ever since last September, and hasn't been thrilled with Willie from the beginning. I hope that Jerry does well, but I doubt they'll keep him.

ondafarm
06-17-2008, 10:24 AM
Omar is just following orders from the Wilpons, namely Fred's son, Jeff. He wanted Willie out ever since last September, and hasn't been thrilled with Willie from the beginning. I hope that Jerry does well, but I doubt they'll keep him.

Unless specificly ordered to fire him today by press release or something like that, I'd still have hopped a plane, gotten to the stadium and talked to him first and then held a press conference.

Tragg
06-17-2008, 10:25 AM
I like Randolph too. Somebody has to take the blame, though.
That was a flawed team from day 1.

RKMeibalane
06-17-2008, 11:28 AM
:jerry

*TINKER* *TINKER* *TINKER*

the1tab
06-17-2008, 11:31 AM
I think Randolph will manage in the bigs again, and soon. Look at some teams that might be in the market to make a change... like Seattle. That would be a perfect fit for Willie: owner w/ deep pockets, talented players, NO MEDIA and owners that don't mess w/ the team. The Wilpons undermined his authority from the word go and expected him to overcome it. Too bad.

Anyone else looking at Jose Reyes and David Wright think... I remember Dwight Gooden and Darryl Strawberry....

kittle42
06-17-2008, 01:37 PM
:jerry

*TINKER* *TINKER* *TINKER*

"Let's see...can Raul Casanova play SS?"

Foulke You
06-17-2008, 02:00 PM
The Mets deserve whatever hammering they will get for orchestrating the whacking this way, even though I am sure they did it with the idea that it would be more dignified for Willie. That's how out-of-touch they are.

Beyond that there are not too many tears to shed. The team has been at sea for more than a year.

Can someone give me a few things I'll like about Jerry? And why will I hate him?
Jerry's years on the South Side were interesting to say the least. Manuel is definitely a very likeable guy which bought him more time than other managers that came through here. Jerry's strength is his even keeled nature which usually got him a lot of clubhouse respect because he was easy to play for. It can also be viewed as a weakness since it was his even keeled nature that also got him in hot water with a lot of Sox fans and media because there were times where it appeared that he just didn't care or have that burning desire to win. If that apathetic nature got him in trouble in Chicago, I tend to think New Yorkers and their media will eat him alive. During losing streaks in April or May he'd trot out the tired "well, y'know, we have lots of baseball to be played here and guys are still getting their arms stretched out and blah blah blah"

Another thing that drove Sox fans mad was his constant tinkering with the lineup. We're talking new lineups just about every day and players playing in positions they shouldn't be playing. (Jose Valentin played CF for the Sox at one time under Jerry Manuel!) He would inexplicably bench a red hot player in favor of a .200 hitting bench player on a regular basis. Jerry also didn't know how to handle the pitching staff and he had a very quick hook with young starting pitchers like Jon Garland who never learned how to pitch out of jams under Jerry because they'd get yanked in the 5th inning at the first sign of trouble.

Overall, my take on Jerry as a manager is that he is a good "point A to point B" manager and not the right fit for a mostly veteran "win now" team like the Mets. If you have a young developing team, he can get them ready for prime time for some other manager to come in a couple years later and win with them. He just doesn't know how to maximize the talent he has on the roster with veterans. Jerry's best year with us was 2000 which was a low expectation team and a lot of young players. The 2003 White Sox had high expectations and should have definitely made the playoffs and possibly gone deep in them with the talent they had but Jerry just managed us right out of the title in the final 2 weeks of the season. I think his skills overall are much better suited for bench coach than a manager. Jerry's x's and o's strategy leaves much to be desired. In the playoffs in 2000, he was completely outmanaged by Lou Pinella. That being said, I don't hate Jerry Manuel...I just don't think he is the right guy for a head managerial job. Mets fans should hope the tag of "interim" is placed on him.

ondafarm
06-17-2008, 03:01 PM
Jerry's years on the South Side were interesting to say the least. Manuel is definitely a very likeable guy which bought him more time than other managers that came through here. Jerry's strength is his even keeled nature which usually got him a lot of clubhouse respect because he was easy to play for. It can also be viewed as a weakness since it was his even keeled nature that also got him in hot water with a lot of Sox fans and media because there were times where it appeared that he just didn't care or have that burning desire to win. If that apathetic nature got him in trouble in Chicago, I tend to think New Yorkers and their media will eat him alive. During losing streaks in April or May he'd trot out the tired "well, y'know, we have lots of baseball to be played here and guys are still getting their arms stretched out and blah blah blah"

Another thing that drove Sox fans mad was his constant tinkering with the lineup. We're talking new lineups just about every day and players playing in positions they shouldn't be playing. (Jose Valentin played CF for the Sox at one time under Jerry Manuel!) He would inexplicably bench a red hot player in favor of a .200 hitting bench player on a regular basis. Jerry also didn't know how to handle the pitching staff and he had a very quick hook with young starting pitchers like Jon Garland who never learned how to pitch out of jams under Jerry because they'd get yanked in the 5th inning at the first sign of trouble.

Overall, my take on Jerry as a manager is that he is a good "point A to point B" manager and not the right fit for a mostly veteran "win now" team like the Mets. If you have a young developing team, he can get them ready for prime time for some other manager to come in a couple years later and win with them. He just doesn't know how to maximize the talent he has on the roster with veterans. Jerry's best year with us was 2000 which was a low expectation team and a lot of young players. The 2003 White Sox had high expectations and should have definitely made the playoffs and possibly gone deep in them with the talent they had but Jerry just managed us right out of the title in the final 2 weeks of the season. I think his skills overall are much better suited for bench coach than a manager. Jerry's x's and o's strategy leaves much to be desired. In the playoffs in 2000, he was completely outmanaged by Lou Pinella. That being said, I don't hate Jerry Manuel...I just don't think he is the right guy for a head managerial job. Mets fans should hope the tag of "interim" is placed on him.

I think you are being overly supportive of JM. I thought he was the worst manager to win any accolades I'd ever seen.

asindc
06-17-2008, 03:04 PM
I think you are being overly supportive of JM. I thought he was the worst manager to win any accolades I'd ever seen.

I don't think he was nearly that bad. The team generally won more than they lost with him. He's just not a good "get-over-the-hump" guy.

ondafarm
06-17-2008, 03:09 PM
I don't think he was nearly that bad. The team generally won more than they lost with him. He's just not a good "get-over-the-hump" guy.

He treated veteran players like Cub Scouts, he was absolutely clueless as to when to change pitchers or how to manage the staff, his batting orders made absolutely no sense, he'd uncontrollably bench hot guys, he'd play guys out of position and he didn't believe in putting the best defensive team on the field.

Apart from that, he didn't get teams over the hump.

Lip Man 1
06-17-2008, 03:13 PM
And let's not forget one of the stupidest comments of all time courtesy of Manager Gandhi: "The first half of the season is for playing everyone, the second half is for winning..."

:?:

Lip

whitesox901
06-17-2008, 03:49 PM
I was hoping for Randolf to go, I wanted to see Jerry manage the Mets

RKMeibalane
06-17-2008, 04:30 PM
And let's not forget one of the stupidest comments of all time courtesy of Manager Gandhi: "The first half of the season is for playing everyone, the second half is for winning..."

:?:

Lip

I remember that "clear as day." What bothered me the most about his saying that was the fact that he was more or less admitting that he wasted the first three months of the season ****ing around with the lineup, even as other teams were playing to win each and every time out. Did he honestly believe that the Sox weren't going to be held accountable (in the standings) for their losses from April-June?

chisoxfanatic
06-17-2008, 04:31 PM
Well, it's now clear that Mets' management does not lurk at WSI. If they did, they might see my username and make an inquiry about its source.:tongue:
What, all this time, I was thinking you were referring to the Chairman of the Board! :wink:

Good luck to him, and hopefully he can rejuvenate that team. It would be great for more NL teams to bulk up to make things harder on the northsiders.

AZChiSoxFan
06-17-2008, 04:52 PM

well, at least he never went out to make a pitching change w/o anyone warming up in the pen.

gobears1987
06-17-2008, 05:05 PM
well, at least he never went out to make a pitching change w/o anyone warming up in the pen.
So Manuel is the tallest midget then. (sorry Terry Bevington, you suck)

RKMeibalane
06-17-2008, 05:27 PM
So Manuel is the tallest midget then. (sorry Terry Bevington, you suck)

Agreed. Comparing Manuel to Terry Bevington isn't helping the argument of the JM apologists.

soxfanreggie
06-17-2008, 05:40 PM
This will do nothing to help the Mets' problems. They will severely underachieve this year for the payroll they have and try to make a splash hiring in the off-season. Ky guess, Jerry Manuel will not be retained for '09. Just a guess...

Roadblock Jones
06-17-2008, 08:10 PM
Thanks for the opinions.

I know it's one thing to talk a good game and quite another to execute it, but I have to say I was very impressed with Manuel's introductory press conference, following as it did a pitiful and embarrassing attempt at spin control from Minaya. He's the only guy who could save Minaya now!

It was encouraging to hear Manuel spot several weaknesses on the team under Randolph -- they ran/bunted too much for negligible offense gains; the bullpen roles were poorly defined; players were ragged; and the third base coach sucked at coaching third-base. These problems were pretty obvious to most Mets fans but would never have been acknowledged and acted on by a stubborn, prideful guy like Randolph.

Frontman
06-17-2008, 08:24 PM
The lamest explanation of the timing is that Omar didn't want Willie to be in his Mets uniform when he was fired; as that might be embarrassing to both Willie and the organization.

Hard to say that the good guy in all of this was Randolph, as the team obviously was lost to him; but he really comes off as a martyr with this one. Minaya better get the Mets to the Series in 2009 to get the stink of how he handled this off his hands.

HebrewHammer
06-17-2008, 10:26 PM
I hope he still has these...

http://www.mccullochs.on.ca/acatalog/250315.jpg

It might take a bit more effort to nod off at Shea than it did at The Cell.

jabrch
06-17-2008, 10:28 PM
Thanks for the opinions.

I know it's one thing to talk a good game and quite another to execute it, but I have to say I was very impressed with Manuel's introductory press conference, following as it did a pitiful and embarrassing attempt at spin control from Minaya. He's the only guy who could save Minaya now!

It was encouraging to hear Manuel spot several weaknesses on the team under Randolph -- they ran/bunted too much for negligible offense gains; the bullpen roles were poorly defined; players were ragged; and the third base coach sucked at coaching third-base. These problems were pretty obvious to most Mets fans but would never have been acknowledged and acted on by a stubborn, prideful guy like Randolph.

Come back in 90 days...You will be begging for Randolph's return.

Jerome
06-18-2008, 12:01 AM
Don't these teams ever check WSI before making moves? You're telling me that in the year 2008 both Dusty Baker AND Jerry Manuel will have managing jobs again?

HebrewHammer
06-18-2008, 12:50 AM
Don't these teams ever check WSI before making moves? You're telling me that in the year 2008 both Dusty Baker AND Jerry Manuel will have managing jobs again?

While Cito Gaston is still unemployed.