PDA

View Full Version : TCQ slump

JermaineDye05
06-16-2008, 04:02 PM
So in the past couple of weeks TCQ's avg has dropped about 30 points. I'm just wondering if anyones heard anything, I believe I heard from someone on here that he hurt his hand. If this is the case I could understand the struggles as trying to swing with through that pain is pretty difficult. Hopefully he can get himself out of it, he seems like the kind of player who would be really hard on himself if he continues to struggle. If the league has made adjustments (which I'm sure they have), I'm sure he'll figure them out. They had tried making adjustments to him in the homestand and he promptly served to balls into right field, not sure if that was before or after his hand injury though.

Stringer
06-16-2008, 04:08 PM
Yeah, they talked about swelling on his hand

Carlos has played an awfully long time without a rest

I hope the 2 days are enough to get him back to his May form

VeeckAsInWreck
06-16-2008, 04:09 PM
According to the team's website (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080615&content_id=2934101&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws) TCQ has always suffered from a strange thumb ailment. Hopefully the two days off are just what he needs.

jenn2080
06-16-2008, 04:10 PM
Trade him

eriqjaffe
06-16-2008, 04:12 PM
TCQ has always suffered from a strange thumb ailmentHe probably sprained it while dragging around the offensive dead weight.

aryzner
06-16-2008, 04:15 PM
I like Carlos' attitude from what I can see.

With the way that he gets angry with himself when he K's or gets out, he looks to me like the kind of player who will look to make the necessary adjustments to start hitting again after (I would assume) the league's pitchers have made adjustments now that they know what he can do at the plate.

He couldn't hit like that forever, I think we all knew that. I think that he'll come out of his current little slump he has going on and do quite well once again. You can just see that he WANTS to do well. He has that fire in him.

VeeckAsInWreck
He probably sprained it while dragging around the offensive dead weight.

ZING! :D:

The article does talk about how much pressure he puts on himself so your teal comment may not be that far off.

soxrme
He has also been around the league now and pitchers are adjusting. He now has to adjust to them. A couple of days off cannot hurt though.

Sockinchisox
06-16-2008, 04:25 PM
Trade him

Umm...teal?

aryzner
06-16-2008, 04:27 PM
Umm...teal?
I think the obviousness of it made teal not necessary.

doublem23
06-16-2008, 04:28 PM
Umm...teal?

Did that really need to be asked?

Anyways, I hope this is just a bump in the road, but the part of me that is eternally pessimistic can't shake the thought that the reason Arizona dumped his extraordinary talent for some schmo in A-ball was because he could never stay healthy.

Get better soon, TCQ.

UofCSoxFan
06-16-2008, 06:28 PM
I like Carlos' attitude from what I can see.

With the way that he gets angry with himself when he K's or gets out, he looks to me like the kind of player who will look to make the necessary adjustments to start hitting again after (I would assume) the league's pitchers have made adjustments now that they know what he can do at the plate.

He couldn't hit like that forever, I think we all knew that. I think that he'll come out of his current little slump he has going on and do quite well once again. You can just see that he WANTS to do well. He has that fire in him.

Would you say he has the fire and the passion?:rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong I like TCQ a lot, but I think the arguement that a guy wants it more than others b/c he visably gets upset is way too played out. I'd take a guy with the demeanor like Jon Garland over a Carlos Zambrano everyday if they had equal talent, although some people need to see someone kick equipment to know they care. Here's a fact: most major league players got to where they are not only because they had talent, but becuase they wanted it more than anyone else, they worked at it more than anyone else, and they are very very competitive. Conversely there are a ton of guys with talent that don't make it to the pros. The people that just show up and succeed at the major league level are few and far between.

A prime example of what I'm talking about is Manny Ramiriez. Some people like to paint him as lazy b/c he seems to take the game lightly, but all you hear from players is how he lives in the batting cages and is a pretty big competitor...I mean hell the guy has two WS rings and is a first ballot HOFer.

Again, I like TCQ alot b/c he is a good player, not that he cares more than say a more subdued Jermaine Dye.

DickAllen72
06-16-2008, 06:40 PM
Maybe Carlos should go back to standing closer to the plate like he was doing up until the past couple of weeks. Why tamper with success?

WhiteSox5187
06-16-2008, 06:48 PM
I think that if there is a problem with his hand he should sit down for a couple of days and maybe even go to the DL. If it's just a slump, i'm not that worried about it, he'll eventually come out of it.

Stringer
06-16-2008, 07:36 PM
Maybe Carlos should go back to standing closer to the plate like he was doing up until the past couple of weeks. Why tamper with success?

He was getting hit by a lot of pitches before he got hot

:D:

DickAllen72
06-16-2008, 08:05 PM
He was getting hit by a lot of pitches before he got hot

He was getting hit by a lot of pitches before he went cold.

chisoxfanatic
06-16-2008, 10:22 PM
I personally wouldn't worry about TCQ here. He's just in a bit of a funk after basically carrying this team for 1.5 months. It happens. He'll get right back at it soon enough!

GregO23
06-16-2008, 11:31 PM
what does T in TCQ mean?:redneck

chisoxfanatic
06-16-2008, 11:44 PM

THE

GregO23
06-17-2008, 04:42 AM
THE
thank you friend

russ99
06-17-2008, 08:56 AM

I've also noticed that his stance is a bit off from earlier this season. He's doing more of a Bagwell-like stance lately, rather than being a bit more upright, and the "bounce" isn't as prominent.

Jeckle2000
06-17-2008, 09:26 AM
I think Carlos will be fine when it all comes down to it. He's been too good of a hitter at every level he's been at to suddenly not be able to adjust now. He might not hit .300 this year but .270-.280 isn't out of the question.

asindc
06-17-2008, 11:38 AM
Would you say he has the fire and the passion?:rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong I like TCQ a lot, but I think the arguement that a guy wants it more than others b/c he visably gets upset is way too played out. I'd take a guy with the demeanor like Jon Garland over a Carlos Zambrano everyday if they had equal talent, although some people need to see someone kick equipment to know they care. Here's a fact: most major league players got to where they are not only because they had talent, but becuase they wanted it more than anyone else, they worked at it more than anyone else, and they are very very competitive. Conversely there are a ton of guys with talent that don't make it to the pros. The people that just show up and succeed at the major league level are few and far between.

A prime example of what I'm talking about is Manny Ramiriez. Some people like to paint him as lazy b/c he seems to take the game lightly, but all you hear from players is how he lives in the batting cages and is a pretty big competitor...I mean hell the guy has two WS rings and is a first ballot HOFer.

Again, I like TCQ alot b/c he is a good player, not that he cares more than say a more subdued Jermaine Dye.

Glad someone else here sees it that way. I actually believe that some of the "hard-nosed" traits some guys display are contrived. Not in TCQ's case, though. I've seen interviews of him while he was calm that gave me the impression this guy wants to be great and is willing to work at it. I think the tempermental displays, even if genuine, give some fans some solace that the guy does in fact care. Me, I look at the actual play and results, personality aside.

MeteorsSox4367
06-17-2008, 11:45 AM
Another thing I like about TCQ is he seems like his humility is very genuine. When he hit the walkoff bomb against the LAA, he talked about how great the pitching was and how big a win it was for the team.

Humble and talented. I think TCQ has a bright future ahead of him.

The Dude
06-17-2008, 01:55 PM

Terrible or Troublesome I believe.

The Dude
06-17-2008, 02:00 PM
Trade him

Nah, just DFA him and bring up Owens! Move BA to left and everyone is happy!:bandance:

Metalthrasher442
06-18-2008, 03:38 PM
Is there a better time to get hot again then say the next team we face????

He'll be fine.

chisoxmike
06-18-2008, 10:43 PM
WSI's very own pdimas caught The Carlos Quentin's home run from tonight.

:gulp:

He should have gave it to a kid.

sox1970
06-18-2008, 10:46 PM

He should have thrown it back, and let a player hand deliver it to a precious little child that will have a life-long memory.

Dub25
06-18-2008, 10:46 PM
I blame the slump on the Daily Southtown. Ever since they started the Q-Tips for Quentin his average has gone down. For those who don't know, the Southtown has a pre-printed letter to send to Terry Francona to put him on the All Star team. You're suppose to include a Q-Tip with it.

chisoxmike
06-18-2008, 10:52 PM

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x26/ballstein12/paco2.jpg <-----a unregistered production

(itsnotrequired in the white shirt behind him, thinking of a way to steal the ball)

BadBobbyJenks
06-18-2008, 11:00 PM
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x26/ballstein12/paco2.jpg

Awesome. Good for him, just once I want to catch a foul ball or if possible a home run.

gogosox16
06-18-2008, 11:01 PM
Awesome. Good for him, just once I want to catch a foul ball or if possible a home run.
Same. That has been my dream since a kid to get one but now if I were to get one, I would cherish it for a moment and then find some young kid and give it to them.

voodoochile
06-18-2008, 11:21 PM
I have to admit that just tonight I was starting to get a bit nervous, but then he had the two hits including the bomb and I feel better. I am sure he does too...:D:

Lip Man 1
06-18-2008, 11:31 PM
THROW IT BACK!

LOL (Just kidding!)

In all my years, all the games I've been to, even if I was there three hours ahead of time for BP and very few folks were in the park, I never got a ball.

Lip

chisoxmike
06-18-2008, 11:34 PM
The closest I've ever been was one that bounced off a guy's hot dog tray in front of me on 4/17/03 off the bat of Carlos Lee. I had the day off school and went to the game and sat in the outfield. There were like 9,000 people there for a cold, April afternoon game a few days after that guy attacked the first base umpire.

BadBobbyJenks
06-18-2008, 11:38 PM
Back when I was a youngin, 8 or 9, my dad would get dugout seats behind the Cubs visiting dugout. I would cheer on whoever was playing them that day and one game Ozzie Smith threw me a ball and signed it for me.

But I am greedy I want a live action ball:D:

PeteWard
06-18-2008, 11:46 PM
Cleveland loses!:smile:

Mohoney
06-18-2008, 11:54 PM
I think Carlos will be fine when it all comes down to it. He's been too good of a hitter at every level he's been at to suddenly not be able to adjust now. He might not hit .300 this year but .270-.280 isn't out of the question.

Neither is 40 jacks. Or 110 RBI.

So far, all indications point to this guy being the second coming of Magglio. I'll give him some slack for a bad 2 weeks, considering he CARRIED this team's offense for 2 months.

doublem23
06-19-2008, 12:17 AM
So far, all indications point to this guy being the second coming of Magglio. I'll give him some slack for a bad 2 weeks, considering he CARRIED this team's offense for 2 months.

Definitely... That homer tonight jumped off his bat... He didn't really swing exceptionally hard nor did it looked like he hit it especially great, but boy did he put a charge into it.

pdimas
06-19-2008, 12:25 AM
That ball tonight was a liner. I had a piece of pizza and my hand and the box in the other not to mention my mouth was still full. I thought about catching it barehanded for a second then thought better of it (with my luck it would have bounced off my hand into the row in front of my and my hand would have hurt like hell). A few inches higher and INR would have been a eunich (sic?)

pdimas
06-19-2008, 12:26 AM
Same. That has been my dream since a kid to get one but now if I were to get one, I would cherish it for a moment and then find some young kid and give it to them.

Gonna give it to my 1 year old nephew who was asleep when I got home. He loves baseball and hockey. He is also my godson.

Nellie_Fox
06-19-2008, 01:24 AM
So far, all indications point to this guy being the second coming of Magglio.With MUCH better hair!

Mohoney
06-19-2008, 01:28 AM
With MUCH better hair!

IMO, we're not allowed to count Magglio's Detroit Tiger, AC Slater Schmelby in this debate. We're referring to White Sox tenure only, and Magglio was clean cut when he was here, in fact, probably more clean cut than Carlos Quentin's 5 o'clock shadow.

Nellie_Fox
06-19-2008, 02:17 AM
IMO, we're not allowed to count Magglio's Detroit Tiger, AC Slater Schmelby in this debate. We're referring to White Sox tenure only, and Magglio was clean cut when he was here, in fact, probably more clean cut than Carlos Quentin's 5 o'clock shadow.But that is still a great head of hair that TCQ is sporting.

scarsofthumper
06-19-2008, 02:17 AM
The only ball I ever got at a major league game was handed to me when I was about 8 years old by my all time favorite Sox player at the time, Bobby Thigpen. To be honest, that game was 22 years ago today.