PDA

View Full Version : More Starting Pitching?

Clarkdog
05-06-2002, 04:57 PM
A hypothetical:

If the White Sox were to look to acquire more help with thier starting pitching, who would you deal for, and who on the Sox roster would you trade?

The following names I have seen in the media as starting pitchers that could possibly be dealt come July.

I like the look of Weaver or Byrd in a Sox uniform, but it would likely take trading Carlos Lee to get either of them. Mixed emotions about that.

Chisox_cali
05-06-2002, 05:19 PM
Since this is hypothetical....

I chose Mike Hampton for a few reasons

-He's a lefty, in which we only have Burly as of now and I think we need another lefty in the rotation.

-He could really benefit from getting the hell out of Coors Field

-He has playoff experience

-Any package deal involving Rowand could snatch him away, The Rockies really want Aaron

Of course this is all hypothetical, we all know JR would NEVER pay his salary. So unless Mike is willing to take a humongous pay cut, I don't see it happenening. But of course it's all hypothetical.

Soxheads
05-06-2002, 05:23 PM
Jason Bere? ***?

Clarkdog
05-06-2002, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali

-Any package deal involving Rowand could snatch him away, The Rockies really want Aaron

I didn't know the Rockies were interested in Rowand. Where did you see that?

Clarkdog
05-06-2002, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by Soxheads
Jason Bere? ***?

No lie. When they bring Prior up, Bere is history. Not that I'd want him, but he'll be available.

Jerry_Manuel
05-06-2002, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by Clarkdog

They were trying to get him in either 2000 or 2001, and just this past off season the Sox had a 3-way deal done with the A's and Rockies. However, the Sox pulled out of the deal.

Clarkdog
05-06-2002, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

They were trying to get him in either 2000 or 2001, and just this past off season the Sox had a 3-way deal done with the A's and Rockies. However, the Sox pulled out of the deal.

Who else was involved in the deal from Oakland and Colorado?

Jerry_Manuel
05-06-2002, 05:30 PM
Who else was involved in the deal from Oakland and Colorado?

The Sox would have gotten Lidle, and I think Jack Crust would have gone to the A's.

Hopefully, Jack Crust exists, and I don't look like a complete ass :smile:

Chisox_cali
05-06-2002, 05:30 PM

I don't remember where I read it but it was talked about here on the board. I think it was a 3-way deal between the A's Sox and Rockies, involving Rowand Jack Cust and Cory Lidle. I don't remember the specifics but all I know is somehow we would have ended up with Lidle. It was kind of like that deal with Dye last year where he was originally traded to the Rockies who than traded him to the A's shortly after.

Chisox_cali
05-06-2002, 05:32 PM
DAMN! Jerry, I guess I was a little too slow today... :smile:

Huisj
05-06-2002, 05:35 PM
The Sox will not get Hampton. His contract is monstrous, and they'll never go for that. Plus, i'm not sure all of his problems are Coors induced--his control is terrible lately, and many say that it's because he can't get his mechanics down at all.

Chisox_cali
05-06-2002, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by Huisj
The Sox will not get Hampton. His contract is monstrous, and they'll never go for that. Plus, i'm not sure all of his problems are Coors induced--his control is terrible lately, and many say that it's because he can't get his mechanics down at all.

Well like I said it's all hypothetical...

doublem23
05-06-2002, 05:40 PM
JM - I'm pretty sure it's Cust, but we'll let kermit settle that one. :D:

Secondly, the only pitcher I'd like to see us nab from the Cubs is Leiber... And I don't really want him that much... After that, their staff is brutal. Juan Cruz and Mark Prior, cause interest, of course, but they aren't going anywhere, of course.

Lastly, I picked Erickson because he's pitched well thus far, and I think he could do some good things with a solid offense backing him up. He's a vet with play-off expierence.

Go Sox.

Jerry_Manuel
05-06-2002, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali
DAMN! Jerry, I guess I was a little too slow today... :smile:

I'm sure it's because you hear the Twins footsteps! :D:

Soxheads
05-06-2002, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by Huisj

We'd be better off getting him for his bat. We can DH him for Royce. I'm pretty sure DH dosen't have to be for the P.

Soxheads
05-06-2002, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

I'm sure it's because you hear the Twins footsteps! :D:

Oh yes, Jerry! I fear the Twins!

bc2k
05-06-2002, 09:41 PM
As much as I hate the little punk, I want Jeff Weaver for the playoff run this year and for many more. He resigned with Detroit in the offseason, his salary isn't obscene like Hampton's, personally I feel Weaver's salary is worth it.

I still have the April 2000 brawl on tape. I vividly remember Weaver backing away from a Sox player, then when 4 Tigers attack that one Sox player, Weaver steps back in and throws cheap shots. F'n puck. Combine Buehrle and Ritchie with Weaver and we have three quality pitchers for the playoffs.