PDA

View Full Version : Mariners fire GM Bavasi

Sockinchisox
06-16-2008, 03:28 PM
This should have been expected considering how bad the Mariners are this year.

Also on ESPN Radio they said Randolph might be canned today as well.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20080616&content_id=2941599&vkey=pr_sea&fext=.jsp&c_id=sea&partnerId=rss_sea

VeeckAsInWreck
06-16-2008, 03:40 PM
We should send him a thank you card for the Freddy Garcia and Matt Thornton deals. :wink:

palehozenychicty
06-16-2008, 03:41 PM
Honestly, he had been pretty bad for a few years now. The Beltre/Sexson deals are some of the worst signings this decade. Last year's surprising first half only got him some more time, but they're a mess.

palehozenychicty
06-16-2008, 03:41 PM
We should send him a thank you card for the Freddy Garcia and Matt Thornton deals. :wink:

Oh yeah..............:D:

goofymsfan
06-16-2008, 04:19 PM
Honestly, he had been pretty bad for a few years now. The Beltre/Sexson deals are some of the worst signings this decade. Last year's surprising first half only got him some more time, but they're a mess.

M's fans have wanted him canned for a looooooooooooooooooooooooong time. All I can say is it's about frickin' time! Now if only we finish cleaning house and get rid of Lincoln and Armstrong we might be able to improve. This year has been absolutely horrible to watch. There is no fight in the team, they are just going through the motions.

VeeckAsInWreck
06-16-2008, 04:21 PM
M's fans have wanted him canned for a looooooooooooooooooooooooong time. All I can say is it's about frickin' time! Now if only we finish cleaning house and get rid of Lincoln and Armstrong we might be able to improve. This year has been absolutely horrible to watch. There is no fight in the team, they are just going through the motions.

Sounds like the 2007 White Sox. With that said I send my deepest sympathies. :gulp:

goofymsfan
06-16-2008, 04:45 PM
Sounds like the 2007 White Sox. With that said I send my deepest sympathies. :gulp:

Without looking it up, me thinks the M's might be worse then the 2007 Sox in either case it is painful to watch. :whiner::whiner::whiner:

TDog
06-16-2008, 04:56 PM
It's funny, though, that many people outside of the Pacific Northwest expected the Mariners to be a serious contender this year.

asindc
06-16-2008, 05:01 PM
I'm not one to call for someone to get fired lightly, but this one does seem overdue. I still have trouble believing someone thought that highly of Sexton. If they trade Bedard, that would be a huge mistake.

goofymsfan
06-16-2008, 05:10 PM
I'm not one to call for someone to get fired lightly, but this one does seem overdue. I still have trouble believing someone thought that highly of Sexton. If they trade Bedard, that would be a huge mistake.

I don't see them trading Bedard...we gave up way too much to get him. I do hopefully see them getting rid of Richie.

Hitmenof77
06-16-2008, 05:18 PM
What about resigning Ichiro? He's under 300 this year and that contract will hurt them the next few years.

oeo
06-16-2008, 05:31 PM
What about resigning Ichiro? He's under 300 this year and that contract will hurt them the next few years.

First, he will probably be fine.

Secondly, they would have been dumb to not re-sign him. With the money he brings in, that contract won't hurt them.

getonbckthr
06-16-2008, 05:37 PM
Considering I doubt we would give up anything for Sexson, would he have any value to replace PK until he is healthy, then DH platoon with Thome? Or does he suck against lefties as well?

oeo
06-16-2008, 05:45 PM
Considering I doubt we would give up anything for Sexson, would he have any value to replace PK until he is healthy, then DH platoon with Thome? Or does he suck against lefties as well?

Why?

getonbckthr
06-16-2008, 05:51 PM
Why?
I dont know. Really just threw it out there.:smile:

Foulke You
06-16-2008, 05:52 PM
After adding Bedard, I really thought the M's would be able to hang with the Angels a bit this year. I still felt the Angels were deeper but I'm stunned at how poorly they've played. I feel bad for Ichiro though. He wanted to play for a contender badly and that 1 good year last year convinced him to stick around in Seattle and sign that extension with them and now he is stuck there for another rebuilding. I'd kill to have him at the top of our lineup but that ain't gonna happen.

I'd imagine that Arthur Rhodes, Washburn, Sexson, Vidro, and Ibanez will all be available. Anyone else I'm missing?

jabrch
06-16-2008, 06:04 PM
I'd imagine that Arthur Rhodes, Washburn, Sexson, Vidro, and Ibanez will all be available. Anyone else I'm missing?

Not a whole of of value there - even if those guys are free and Seattle eats salary.

I'd add Beltre and Silva to the list.

Foulke You
06-16-2008, 06:14 PM
Not a whole of of value there - even if those guys are free and Seattle eats salary.

I'd add Beltre and Silva to the list.
Ibanez has some value because he is a solid lefty bat and there are always teams looking for that at the deadline. Rhodes is another who can be moved because teams are always looking to add bullpen depth at the deadline as well. The fact that Arthur is a vet and is left handed makes him even more trade friendly. I agree about the rest of the guys though.

cws05champ
06-16-2008, 06:24 PM
Ibanez has some value because he is a solid lefty bat and there are always teams looking for that at the deadline. Rhodes is another who can be moved because teams are always looking to add bullpen depth at the deadline as well. The fact that Arthur is a vet and is left handed makes him even more trade friendly. I agree about the rest of the guys though.
I'd take Ibanez right now over Thome as our DH anyday.

Medford Bobby
06-16-2008, 07:35 PM

The last thing this team needs now is "clutch".....:o:

jabrch
06-16-2008, 08:51 PM

Minimizing your upside is not the best way to win even if it might mean minimizing your downside.

getonbckthr
06-16-2008, 09:04 PM
You know you look at his resume and all of a sudden you cherish having Kenny a little more.