PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday: Paulie on 15 day DL, Wise up

ChiSox89
06-15-2008, 07:34 PM
according to suntimes.com, konerko could be heading to the DL with a strained muscle near his rib cage. if so, who would be brought up. fields? owens? eldred?

DickAllen72
06-15-2008, 07:37 PM
My guess would be Owens. BA could start in CF with Owens taking his spot as fourth OFer. Or possibly they can platoon in CF.

MCHSoxFan
06-15-2008, 07:37 PM
My guess would be Owens. BA could start in CF with Owens taking his spot as fourth OFer. Or possibly they can platoon in CF.

I'll take it!

DumpJerry
06-15-2008, 07:41 PM
according to suntimes.com, konerko could be heading to the DL with a strained muscle near his rib cage. if so, who would be brought up. fields? owens? eldred?
Whomever gets the most votes on the inevitable WSI poll asking the same question.

getonbckthr
06-15-2008, 07:57 PM
This might end up being a good thing. You never want to see one of your players get hurt, but for Paulie this might enable him to just get away for a while. Heel that hand and forget the pressure and learn to enjoy the game again. Lineup wise losing PK right now is not gonna hurt the lineup. Pujols and Soriano are blows this isn't.

Frater Perdurabo
06-15-2008, 08:08 PM
Yes. Paulie vintage 2006 on the DL is a major blow.

"Mendoza" Paulie on the DL does not hurt the lineup.

Swisher plays 1B and Anderson starts in CF. I guess I'd be OK with Owens as the 4th OF, pinch runner, and occasional DH.

If Paulie goes on the DL and then heals, then he should do a rehab stint in Charlotte. And he should stay on that rehab stint until he starts hitting with some authority.

Lip Man 1
06-15-2008, 08:15 PM
It'll give him time to heal his hand.

Lip

WhiteSox5187
06-15-2008, 09:26 PM
It'll give him time to heal his hand.

Lip
That's what I was thinking too. I also hope this day off helps Carlos a bit as he has been struggling mightly of late and I'm not sure if it's just a slump (it does happen to everyone I know) or if it's hand related (as Hawk has hinted).

JB98
06-15-2008, 09:59 PM
Yes. Paulie vintage 2006 on the DL is a major blow.

"Mendoza" Paulie on the DL does not hurt the lineup.

Swisher plays 1B and Anderson starts in CF. I guess I'd be OK with Owens as the 4th OF, pinch runner, and occasional DH.

If Paulie goes on the DL and then heals, then he should do a rehab stint in Charlotte. And he should stay on that rehab stint until he starts hitting with some authority.

I think the maximum time for a rehab stint is two weeks. Does anyone know for certain?

getonbckthr
06-15-2008, 10:00 PM
I think the maximum time for a rehab stint is two weeks. Does anyone know for certain?
15 days. I believe they can retro it to the last game he played in.

JB98
06-15-2008, 10:28 PM
15 days. I believe they can retro it to the last game he played in.

Well, yeah, that's the rule for the disabled list. But that's not what I'm asking.

Once an injured veteran is ready to go on a rehab assignment, how long can he stay at AAA without being optioned or subjected to waivers?

gogosox16
06-15-2008, 10:40 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080615&content_id=2939255&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

MCHSoxFan
06-15-2008, 10:41 PM
Most likely. Still, NOT happened yet.

gogosox16
06-15-2008, 10:42 PM
Most likely. Still, NOT happened yet.
this would suck. Who would we call up? Fields?

MCHSoxFan
06-15-2008, 10:46 PM

Not sure. Swish will most likely play 1B. So, today's line-up with TCQ (Maybe).

eriqjaffe
06-15-2008, 10:47 PM
this would suck. Who would we call up? Fields?Probably another middle reliever.

Maybe that shouldn't be in teal.

Seriously? I can see Owens getting the call with Swisher filling in at first base until Paulie's back. Outfield of Quentin, BA and/or Owens and Dye.

JB98
06-15-2008, 10:48 PM

I would guess the choices would be Owens, Wise or Eldred. I don't think they'd call up Fields. He needs to play 3B, and that position isn't open at the big-league level.

If Konerko heads for the DL, Swisher is likely the 1B. That opens a spot in the outfield. They may just play BA everyday, but even if they do that, they'll need more backup in the OF.

thomas35forever
06-15-2008, 11:00 PM
Chris Rongey said Eldred would make the most sense, and I agree with him. He can play first as well as the outfield. I still don't think Owens will fit anywhere in our current outfield. Yes, Quentin is struggling, but Owens would be anything but an upgrade over who we have out there.

MCHSoxFan
06-15-2008, 11:07 PM
Probably another middle reliever.

Maybe that shouldn't be in teal.

Seriously? I can see Owens getting the call with Swisher filling in at first base until Paulie's back. Outfield of Quentin, BA and/or Owens and Dye.

That is why I am thinking, too.

MetroPD
06-15-2008, 11:08 PM
Charlie Haeger Baby!

MCHSoxFan
06-15-2008, 11:09 PM
I would guess the choices would be Owens, Wise or Eldred. I don't think they'd call up Fields. He needs to play 3B, and that position isn't open at the big-league level.

If Konerko heads for the DL, Swisher is likely the 1B. That opens a spot in the outfield. They may just play BA everyday, but even if they do that, they'll need more backup in the OF.

I though Wise was gone (From the White Sox completely). Or, was he just sent back down from AAA?

Daver
06-15-2008, 11:12 PM
Chris Rongey said Eldred would make the most sense, and I agree with him. He can play first as well as the outfield. I still don't think Owens will fit anywhere in our current outfield. Yes, Quentin is struggling, but Owens would be anything but an upgrade over who we have out there.

Brad Eldred doesn't play first well, and he is far better at it than he is in the outfield.

MCHSoxFan
06-15-2008, 11:13 PM
Brad Eldred doesn't play first well, and he is far better at it than he is in the outfield.

He played a lot in ST, right? I know his name, but I am pretty sure I saw him a lot in ST.

thomas35forever
06-15-2008, 11:14 PM
Charlie Haeger Baby!
No. Absolutely not. Have you seen his AAA numbers? I'll be a Cubs fan before I want him up here.

Daver
06-15-2008, 11:15 PM
He played a lot in ST, right? I know his name, but I am pretty sure I saw him a lot in ST.

I dunno, I didn't watch more than one ST game.

MCHSoxFan
06-15-2008, 11:16 PM
No. Absolutely not. Have you seen his AAA numbers? I'll be a Cubs fan before I want him up here.

I wouldn't go that far (You were obviously do that to show how much you hate him). However, I never really liked him. Also, the same old ?, you the hell is gonna catch him? Is Toby gonna be the starter? About Donny? Really, why is still here?

MCHSoxFan
06-15-2008, 11:17 PM
I dunno, I didn't watch more than one ST game.

Thanks. Just wondering. I think I did seem him a lot, however. Not a big deal whatsoever.

Noneck
06-15-2008, 11:21 PM
If not Eldred, who backs up Swisher? Hall, Thome, Dye?

Daver
06-15-2008, 11:23 PM
Really, why is still here?

I can think of two reasons right off the top of my head.

It takes skill to catch a knuckleballer, if you have a catcher that can do it, you are succeeding in developing a position player.

A good knuckleballer can be unhittable if he is on his game, he could be throwing beachballs and the hitters won't be able to hit it.

Stringer
06-15-2008, 11:25 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing what Jerry could do considering the state of the offense

MCHSoxFan
06-15-2008, 11:28 PM
I can think of two reasons right off the top of my head.

It takes skill to catch a knuckleballer, if you have a catcher that can do it, you are succeeding in developing a position player.

A good knuckleballer can be unhittable if he is on his game, he could be throwing beachballs and the hitters won't be able to hit it.

Right. I totally agree. But, as I said before, as of now, we got nobody woh can catch it. AJ was just resigned for 3 years, too.

MCHSoxFan
06-15-2008, 11:28 PM

I agree.

Madvora
06-15-2008, 11:30 PM
I know what you mean. Whenever they get to playing like this I want to drop the whole team and try some new stuff out.
I can't imagine that the offense could perform any worse than it is now. However, Owens is only one person.

JB98
06-16-2008, 12:29 AM
I though Wise was gone (From the White Sox completely). Or, was he just sent back down from AAA?

Wise accepted his assignment to AAA. He's back with Charlotte.

Rdy2PlayBall
06-16-2008, 12:57 AM
I think that depends, how long is Quentin out?

06-16-2008, 02:02 AM
http://media.msnbc.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/050616/050616_everett_vmed_6a.widec.jpg

How about Everett?

Frater Perdurabo
06-16-2008, 07:36 AM

So you're saying he's a DH? :D:

cws05champ
06-16-2008, 08:38 AM
So you're saying he's a DH? :D:
His best defensive poistion is DH. :smile:

I think it should be Owens, not Eldred. Although Eldred is hitting for power (24HR, 18 2B) he also strikes out 4X as much as he walks. Do we need ANOTHER all of nothing hitter? We need a guy that can spark the offense in other ways, with speed, ability to bunt and hopefullly get on base. With Swish playing 1st base he should not need a back up for a couple weeks and we could platoon Owens/BA.

stl_sox_fan
06-16-2008, 09:19 AM
I'm pulling for Owens just for the minute possibility of raising the abysmal .35 SB/game average they got going on right now.

hawkjt
06-16-2008, 09:37 AM
I say Owens...he is hitting close to .400 over his last 15 games.
Platoon BA and Owens in center, Swish at first.

salty99
06-16-2008, 09:44 AM
Wow if we call up Eldred there will be 4 first basemen on the roster, Swisher, Eldred, Thome, and Toby Hall!

:redneck

WhiteSox5187
06-16-2008, 01:54 PM
I think that depends, how long is Quentin out?
Quentin is hurting but I haven't heard anything about putting him on the DL. KONERKO might wind up on the DL.

StepsInSC
06-16-2008, 03:14 PM
Why oh why did we trade Chris Carter!!!?!?!?

aryzner
06-16-2008, 03:24 PM
After seeing Taveras steal 5 in one game the other day, I'd be interested to see Jerry Owens on the basepaths to try and swipe a few for the Sox. I miss seeing us stealing bases.

Sockinchisox
06-16-2008, 03:24 PM
Quentin is hurting but I haven't heard anything about putting him on the DL. KONERKO might wind up on the DL.

According to the Sox website, Quentin will be back in the lineup tomorrow.

AJ Hellraiser
06-16-2008, 03:26 PM
If Konerko were to land on the DL, what would that mean for interleague games in NL parks?

With the pitcher in the lineup and Konerko's bat out, a lineup with both Swisher, Anderson and pitcher could have 3 automatic outs depending on how those 2 are hitting...

Not that he's been much better, but do we dare try Thome at 1B?

Stringer
06-16-2008, 04:06 PM
I know what you mean. Whenever they get to playing like this I want to drop the whole team and try some new stuff out.
I can't imagine that the offense could perform any worse than it is now. However, Owens is only one person.

With all the surprises this season ( Quentin and Ramirez) maybe Jerry comes through for us.

You never know

It's Dankerific
06-16-2008, 04:46 PM
If Konerko were to land on the DL, what would that mean for interleague games in NL parks?

With the pitcher in the lineup and Konerko's bat out, a lineup with both Swisher, Anderson and pitcher could have 3 automatic outs depending on how those 2 are hitting...

Yeah, Anderson hasn't gotten a hit in like a game.

Frater Perdurabo
06-16-2008, 04:52 PM
Yeah, Anderson hasn't gotten a hit in like a game.

No kidding. I'll never understand why people still think that this is April-June 2006. Yes, Anderson sucked as a hitter then. But he's been solid this year.
:scratch:

Foulke You
06-16-2008, 05:09 PM
No kidding. I'll never understand why people still think that this is April-June 2006. Yes, Anderson sucked as a hitter then. But he's been solid this year.
:scratch:
He is hitting .250. I think that qualifies as Ted Williams-esque for our team.:tongue:

Foulke You
06-16-2008, 05:12 PM
Ozzie was quoted in the Sun Times as saying that Thome would only pinch hit in NL parks this year. The reasoning is that they lost Jim to back injuries for 2 weeks after he played some interleague games in the field at 1B in 2007. I don't know if the Konerko injury changes his mind but knowing Ozzie, I expect to see Swisher at 1B just about every day.

Sockinchisox
06-16-2008, 08:19 PM
This is purely speculation but if Konerko does land on the DL, based on tonights lineup for Charlotte, Fields would be the one called up (If he's not injured).

Owens and Eldred are both playing.

whitesox901
06-16-2008, 08:36 PM
This is purely speculation but if Konerko does land on the DL, based on tonights lineup for Charlotte, Fields would be the one called up (If he's not injured).

That would be sweet

DickAllen72
06-16-2008, 10:21 PM

Owens and Eldred are both playing.
Fields is back on the DL, according to a poster on another Sox message board.

Madscout
06-17-2008, 12:49 AM
He is hitting .250. I think that qualifies as Ted Williams-esque for our team.:tongue:
He is hitting .250 off the bench with very limited time. In his last 10 games he is hitting .300.

Jeckle2000
06-17-2008, 09:33 AM
I was never a fan of Brian Anderson but he has showed me a lot this year. He deserves the additional playing time as far as I'm concerned.

Jaffar
06-17-2008, 12:09 PM
Wise has been recalled per a score report update thing but no report about PK going on the DL.

Noneck
06-17-2008, 12:14 PM
Wise has been recalled per a score report update thing but no report about PK going on the DL.
Wise makes sense with 6 games in NL parks coming up, he can bunt and pinch run. If something comes up with Swisher I guess they have to go with Hall, Thome or Dye.

balke
06-17-2008, 12:14 PM

Haha, why? I guess it'll help avoid any Jerry Owens conroversy at least if true.

Daver
06-17-2008, 01:47 PM
Haha, why? I guess it'll help avoid any Jerry Owens conroversy at least if true.

Probably because Jerry Owens isn't very good at playing baseball.

sox1970
06-17-2008, 01:57 PM
Owens was injured in CF today. He came out of the game.

VeeckAsInWreck
06-17-2008, 02:00 PM
Owens was injured in CF today. He came out of the game.

Yikes! That guy can't catch a break. :(:

whitesox901
06-17-2008, 02:08 PM
just got a text from White Sox Moble, Konerko to 15 Day DL, brought up Wise

scarsofthumper
06-17-2008, 02:16 PM
Was just gonna post this too.

It's funny, the last time I went to a game, Uribe was put on the DL and Wise was called up, now it's Konerko and Wise.

White City
06-17-2008, 02:25 PM
So we get a free audition of the following scenario:

CF Anderson
1B Swisher
DH Konerko

Now obviously, Konerko won't be the DH while he is on the DL. But Thome won't be playing in those NL games, so Brian gets a real chance -- no excuses -- to stake his claim for a starting spot. Here's hoping he is worthy of it, and shows it unequivocally to Ozzie and Kenny.

Then, when Paulie is ready to go, Swisher becomes the super-sub, sharing time at LF, CF, 1B, DH. Anderson owns CF. And Thome gets waived.

Or, Anderson stinks up the joint, he stays the fourth outfielder, and we keep Thome for the remainder of the year.

Either way, no one's feelings have to be hurt to find out which option is better.

SoxGirl4Life
06-17-2008, 02:27 PM

According to the suntimes, this is his first trip ever to the DL.

DumpJerry
06-17-2008, 02:28 PM
Read (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20080617&content_id=2945884&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws) all about it.

Paulie out, Wise up.

Wise is speed.

Jimmy Piersall
06-17-2008, 02:30 PM
According to the suntimes, this is his first trip ever to the DL.

Hopefully he gets healthy and rested and we get the old
dependable Paulie upon his return.You know,the one who
drives in runs and hits for a decent average.

kba
06-17-2008, 02:39 PM
Yikes! That guy can't catch a break. :(:

I doubt they were planning to bring up Owens today anyway, since he was starting a 1:00 pm game in Richmond.

PorkChopExpress
06-17-2008, 02:39 PM
Read (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20080617&content_id=2945884&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws) all about it.

Paulie out, Wise up.

Wise is speed.

He may be 0-6 this year, but if I recall, his first full game against Cleveland, he hit a couple of laser beams, but got robbed by good fielding. Let's hope he can get some of those through this time. It would be nice to see this guy succeed while he is here.

aryzner
06-17-2008, 02:42 PM
God I hope this is of some help to Paulie and he comes back 100% the Paul Konerko we all know and love, and he starts hitting the snot out of the ball.

SoxGirl4Life
06-17-2008, 02:45 PM
God I hope this is of some help to Paulie and he comes back 100% the Paul Konerko we all know and love, and he starts hitting the snot out of the ball.

I still love Paulie.. he's been a good guy for the Sox for a long time. I feel really bad for him.

VeeckAsInWreck
06-17-2008, 02:56 PM
I doubt they were planning to bring up Owens today anyway, since he was starting a 1:00 pm game in Richmond.

I didn't think they were going to bring him up but when you think about it. Coming into this season the Sox were pretty much handing him a job but due to injury and the breakout of THE Carlos Quentin he has been relegated to being back in the minors. Now he has an injury to contend with on top of all that. I don't know how superstitious he is but I would not break anymore mirrors or get near any black cats if I was Owens.

The Immigrant
06-17-2008, 02:57 PM
He may be 0-6 this year, but if I recall, his first full game against Cleveland, he hit a couple of laser beams, but got robbed by good fielding. Let's hope he can get some of those through this time. It would be nice to see this guy succeed while he is here.

Let's just hope he doesn't get any plate appearances while he's here. He is AAA filler.

VeeckAsInWreck
06-17-2008, 02:59 PM

Paulie out, Wise up.

Wise is speed.

I noticed in the article that it was mentioned that Wise will be wearing #31. I hope he doesn't tarnish that number. Think of the greats that donned it before. Greg Norton, Jose Canseco....Ben Davis!

JB98
06-17-2008, 03:04 PM

I don't think Owens just got hurt today either. My guess is he aggravated his old injury.

Owens is 17-for-27 in steals this season. That's a horrible percentage. His legs haven't been healthy all year. The only thing he can do is run, and his one skill has been neutered. I don't see any scenario where he helps the 2008 Sox.

btrain929
06-17-2008, 03:07 PM
Remember when in spring training Konerko went about a month batting .500?

Ahhhh, the good ole days.....

balke
06-17-2008, 03:08 PM
Probably because Jerry Owens isn't very good at playing baseball.

Yes, he and Haeger both. Doesn't explain why the called up Wise though, who also isn't very good at playing baseball.

Between two bags of crap though you'd think they'd pick the bag who's faster. Moot point with the injury though.

tony1972
06-17-2008, 03:31 PM

This is terrible (for the other team's pitcher's) who's going to Ground into 3 Double Plays a Game with the Bases Loaded ?:o:

nevr say dye sox
06-17-2008, 03:37 PM
Bring Getz up, move Alexi to SS, DFA Uribe, and give Orlando a break.

Rdy2PlayBall
06-17-2008, 03:44 PM
That stinks! Even though hes not his normal self this year, he could spring back any time. :(: At least it's only 15 days, but we can't be having our players get injured, that will kill us. Quentin is saying his hand hurts, but I think thats just because hes in a little slimp. =\

--- Were probably just going to see more Uribe at second and Swisher at first. I don't think they will bring anyone up.

areilly
06-17-2008, 03:48 PM
Let's just hope he doesn't get any plate appearances while he's here. He is AAA filler.

Maybe in a blowout or something, but your wish will probably come true. Swisher to 1B, Anderson CF?

kobo
06-17-2008, 03:49 PM
That stinks! Even though hes not his normal self this year, he could spring back any time. :(: At least it's only 15 days, but we can't be having our players get injured, that will kill us. Quentin is saying his hand hurts, but I think thats just because hes in a little slimp. =\

--- Were probably just going to see more Uribe at second and Swisher at first. I don't think they will bring anyone up.
:scratch: They are bringing up Wise.

voodoochile
06-17-2008, 03:56 PM

:gah:

Are you serious? Cabrera is hitting .290 over the last 30 days. Why would you bench him now?

Are we suddenly playing for next year with a 4.5 game lead in early June?

Rdy2PlayBall
06-17-2008, 03:57 PM
:scratch: They are bringing up Wise.I guess thats better than nothing! :P I was just going off the first post, I didn't know any details. :P

VeeckAsInWreck
06-17-2008, 04:04 PM
:gah:

Are you serious? Cabrera is hitting .290 over the last 30 days. Why would you bench him now?

Are we suddenly playing for next year with a 4.5 game lead in early June?

You have to remember that you're responding to the person who had a thread about a month ago all about bringing up Getz.

I don't think Paulie going to the DL is going to affect the team as much as some people think. This will be a good time for him to recover and also for Swish to play his actual position more and it'll also finally give BA a chance to prove himself on a daily basis.

It may get bumpy but this is going to be a fun ride folks!

Woofer
06-17-2008, 04:10 PM
While the timing is bad for a DL trip, (missing the Cubs series) hopefully we can still win some of these games. Maybe this rib injury will be a blessing in disguise, as his thumb will hopefully be 100 percent. If we are going anywhere this year, we will need Paulie to help get us there.

BadBobbyJenks
06-17-2008, 04:16 PM

OC sux, his defense sux, his leadership sux blah blah blah

chisoxfanatic
06-17-2008, 04:17 PM
Two positives I see coming from this:

1. PK can get some much-needed rest to get that hand back to normal and get back to his regular playing ways.
2. BA gets increased playing time.

doublem23
06-17-2008, 04:39 PM
Two positives I see coming from this:

1. PK can get some much-needed rest to get that hand back to normal and get back to his regular playing ways.
2. BA gets increased playing time.

Awesome. This team is definitely in need of a guy with a .680 OPS.

nevr say dye sox
06-17-2008, 04:39 PM
I'm not saying make Getz your everyday 2B, but we know Uribe will not be here next year. Send Uribe down, bring Getz up and see if we have anything there. I have a feeling that this kid has the tools to be a really good bench player for years to come. Why not see if he could help us now without the pressure to perform when we have Alexi.

doublem23
06-17-2008, 04:41 PM
I'm not saying make Getz your everyday 2B, but we know Uribe will not be here next year. Send Uribe down, bring Getz up and see if we have anything there. I have a feeling that this kid has the tools to be a really good bench player for years to come. Why not see if he could help us now without the pressure to perform when we have Alexi.

Because, if you haven't noticed, the Sox are in FIRST PLACE, ergo there is pressure to perform. I'm not willing to waste PT on rookies right now when we have two good middle IF and one serviceable one.

Cuck the Fubs
06-17-2008, 04:43 PM
I think this will help everyone...Paulie needs the rest to get himself right.

Swisher may get into a comfort zone playing a comfy position.

Anderson will get 15 days worth of playing time to kick in some stellar defense and get his average up.

Could be a fun next couple of weeks!

chisoxfanatic
06-17-2008, 04:45 PM

Give the guy a break. He doesn't get regular playing time, yet he's on average produced more in total than others. BA's defense alone accounts for a ton of productivity. I'm glad BA will get more PT.

hawkjt
06-17-2008, 04:45 PM
According to the radio reports, Wise is starting in center tonite. BA sits.
Is wise a lefty? If so, this makes some sense, I guess.
Next two nites the bucs start lefties so then BA can start in center.

nevr say dye sox
06-17-2008, 04:47 PM
so instead your happy about Wise being called up? Who, like Uribe will probably not be on the team next year. :scratch:

SoxGirl4Life
06-17-2008, 04:52 PM
According to the radio reports, Wise is starting in center tonite. BA sits.
Is wise a lefty? If so, this makes some sense, I guess.
Next two nites the bucs start lefties so then BA can start in center.

I think he does bat left

hi im skot
06-17-2008, 04:53 PM

Sending Uribe down makes zero sense.

Also, you better believe there's pressue for him to succeed...we're in the middle of a pennant race. IN FIRST PLACE.

salty99
06-17-2008, 04:54 PM
OC, SS;
AJ, C;
Quentin, LF;
Thome, DH;
Dye, RF;
Swisher, 1B;
Crede, 3B;
Ramirez, 2B;
Wise, CF.
Vazquez pitching.

PorkChopExpress
06-17-2008, 04:54 PM

He's starting in CF tonight.

kobo
06-17-2008, 04:57 PM
so instead your happy about Wise being called up? Who, like Uribe will probably not be on the team next year. :scratch:
There is no need for Getz right now when there 3 guys who can play SS and 2B. With Swisher moving to first they need another OF and Wise is the guy.

voodoochile
06-17-2008, 05:08 PM
Because, if you haven't noticed, the Sox are in FIRST PLACE, ergo there is pressure to perform. I'm not willing to waste PT on rookies right now when we have two good middle IF and one serviceable one.

Especially since we'll be down two big bats (even if they are struggling) for all the away NL games.

eriqjaffe
06-17-2008, 05:08 PM
There is no need for Getz right now when there 3 guys who can play SS and 2B. With Swisher moving to first they need another OF and Wise is a warm body.Fixed that for you.

voodoochile
06-17-2008, 05:11 PM

First, why start the clock ticking on him?

Second, will Ozzie play him?

Third, why mess with his head when he can just as easily get some PT in September?

Like it or not, Getz is probably not in the long term plans for the Sox at 2B given the number of players who are in front of him for the slot including newly drafted and college WS stud Beckham.

We get it, you like Getz. Time to get over it...

ondafarm
06-17-2008, 05:37 PM
First, why start the clock ticking on him?

Second, will Ozzie play him?

Third, why mess with his head when he can just as easily get some PT in September?

Like it or not, Getz is probably not in the long term plans for the Sox at 2B given the number of players who are in front of him for the slot including newly drafted and college WS stud Beckham.

We get it, you like Getz. Time to get over it...

I was thinking about that.

1) agree, 2) who knows, 3) agree
4) now, I'm thinking.

About 4) Getz is a solid 2B, probably not much of a SS. Alexei is probably with the Sox as long as he wants to be and certainly as long as OG manages. But he will almost certainly move to SS. OC will be gone. Beckham looks great, but I want to see him with a wooden bat and I'd like to see him get more than 500 minor league AB. That's a season and a half. So effectively, the Sox have a spot for Getz for two years possibly, at least a year, next year. September call up doesn't sound bad. Richar hasn't proven in a lot of minds that he can hit ML pitching.

Can he prove to be respectable trade bait in that time, or is he utility/ stopgap after that? Or is he really insurance in case Beckham doesn't meet expectations?

All viable questions in my mind.

Next year OC and JU are gone, so I figure he'll get a better than average shot then. DR and he will duel it out with the loser staying in AAA.

voodoochile
06-17-2008, 06:16 PM
I was thinking about that.

1) agree, 2) who knows, 3) agree
4) now, I'm thinking.

About 4) Getz is a solid 2B, probably not much of a SS. Alexei is probably with the Sox as long as he wants to be and certainly as long as OG manages. But he will almost certainly move to SS. OC will be gone. Beckham looks great, but I want to see him with a wooden bat and I'd like to see him get more than 500 minor league AB. That's a season and a half. So effectively, the Sox have a spot for Getz for two years possibly, at least a year, next year. September call up doesn't sound bad. Richar hasn't proven in a lot of minds that he can hit ML pitching.

Can he prove to be respectable trade bait in that time, or is he utility/ stopgap after that? Or is he really insurance in case Beckham doesn't meet expectations?

All viable questions in my mind.

Next year OC and JU are gone, so I figure he'll get a better than average shot then. DR and he will duel it out with the loser staying in AAA.

Richar has shown the promise of being able to hit major league pitching, but is off to a slow start after coming back from his injury. Hope he didn't rush it. Also, he showed as good a range as Ramirez at 2B last year with the natural instincts that come from having grown up playing the position. Unless Richar completely fails to start hitting again, I'd have to believe that Getz is behind him on the depth chart long term - though short term Getz might get a call before Richar due to the injury/lack of production after coming back.

However, I admit all I know about Getz is what I see in the numbers. I was impressed with Richar in his limited PT last summer and feel a combination of him and Ramirez or him and Cabrera (with Ramirez moving to CF full time) would be a great middle infield defensively. I'm not expecting to see any of that this year until September or unless Richar starts simply tearing the cover off the ball in the next few weeks.

WhiteSox5187
06-17-2008, 06:25 PM
Right now this team needs a guy who can hit and get on base, I don't care if it's all singles.

Madscout
06-17-2008, 06:32 PM
OC, SS;
AJ, C;
Quentin, LF;
Thome, DH;
Dye, RF;
Swisher, 1B;
Crede, 3B;
Ramirez, 2B;
Wise, CF.
Vazquez pitching.
What the ****, ozzie?

WhiteSox5187
06-17-2008, 07:05 PM
What the ****, ozzie?
Why Wise is starting and Anderson sits on the bench I don't get...although, he has started the past how many games in a row?

06-17-2008, 07:26 PM
Why Wise is starting and Anderson sits on the bench I don't get...although, he has started the past how many games in a row?
Fair enough question. My guess is Snell is a righty and Wise hits left.

balke
06-17-2008, 07:38 PM
I knew he was going to do this. Ozzie is an idiot. You can't give him a single crap player or he'll play them as much as possible.

Frater Perdurabo
06-17-2008, 07:54 PM
BA hits RHP better than LHP.

I think stats are overused and overrated. But they do have their place, especially when trying to take advantage of splits in platoon situations, when to rest players, etc..

Unfortunately, I don't think Ozzie pays any attention at all to stats or splits. He did the same thing with Thornton in 2006 and 2007; he continued using Thornton more against lefties even though Thornton was clearly better against righties than lefties.

gobears1987
06-17-2008, 08:00 PM
I knew he was going to do this. Ozzie is an idiot. You can't give him a single crap player or he'll play them as much as possible.
What gives you room to call Ozzie an idiot? He's won a World Series as a manager, what have you done in baseball?

balke
06-17-2008, 08:01 PM
What gives you room to call Ozzie an idiot? He's won a World Series as a manager, what have you done in baseball?

Well, more an expression of what I think of the move. He's a good manager overall. I just think Wise hit .000 while up here, and is a career .197 hitter. I doubt him being a lefty gives him the edge to be a starter overall.

kevingrt
06-17-2008, 08:03 PM

It doesn't matter what we have done in baseball. You should have listened to Silvy rip apart a caller last week about that on his show. But still why the hell is Wise starting? Didn't he play enough in Charlotte?

cws05champ
06-17-2008, 08:19 PM
It doesn't matter what we have done in baseball. You should have listened to Silvy rip apart a caller last week about that on his show. But still why the hell is Wise starting? Didn't he play enough in Charlotte?
3 of the next 4 pitchers are leftys, and I think Brian starts all four of those games. Why not get Wise in now for a game to get some confidence when he has to come off the bench?

Daver
06-17-2008, 08:21 PM

I called Ozzie an idiot before he won a world series, just because he has I should change my opinion?

Did he manage a world series winner, or did the players win despite the manager?

Tragg
06-17-2008, 08:26 PM
Ozzie's keen eye for talent had the depth chart for the last outfield spot this way: Owens, Ramriez, Quentin, Anderson. Almost exactly opposite of what a depth chartg based on baseball skill would be. Swing at everything batting is "aggressive".
His ostracization of Anderson in 06 and 07 (and other players) is and was ridiculous.

Brian26
06-17-2008, 09:13 PM
Did he manage a world series winner, or did the players win despite the manager?

The players won despite the lucky manager that year.

Brian26
06-17-2008, 09:19 PM

So nobody can criticize a manager unless they've won a championship in professional baseball? Well, that excludes 99.99999% of the population (and that might be a conservative estimate).

KyWhiSoxFan
06-17-2008, 09:19 PM
Wise should not have been called up. He brings nothing to the equation. You're subbing Wise for Konerko in effect, gaining nothing in average or anything special to the batting order. I would rather they have called up someone like Getz to see if he can get on base at a decent percentage (if Owens or Fields were not available).

Brian26
06-17-2008, 09:27 PM
3 of the next 4 pitchers are leftys, and I think Brian starts all four of those games. Why not get Wise in now for a game to get some confidence when he has to come off the bench?

I think Ozzie was scarred as a player by seeing Mike Huff and Bob Zupcic get too many starts with the early 90s Sox, and now he's healing his soul as a manager. Thankfully Timo Perez is nowhere this team right now.

Brian26
06-17-2008, 09:29 PM
Wise should not have been called up. He brings nothing to the equation.

He should have been called up because Swisher is effectively becoming an infielder now to replace PK. We're short an extra emergency outfielder who can play all three positions. The argument is that Wise should not be starting.

pierzynski07
06-17-2008, 10:04 PM
"Double A washout." That was great.

A. Cavatica
06-17-2008, 10:05 PM
Ozzie had Ramirez in center, Anderson in left in the last game. He has Wise in center tonight.

This is the same manager who had Anderson DHing and one of our worst outfielders in center last year (though I'm now forgetting whom).

Anderson's getting some playing time, so it's not like he's in the doghouse again -- but why on Earth do you not play your all-World centerfielder in center and hide the guys who are defensive liabilities?

Ozzie's an idiot, World Series notwithstanding.

Frater Perdurabo
06-17-2008, 10:25 PM
Ozzie had Ramirez in center, Anderson in left in the last game. He has Wise in center tonight.

This is the same manager who had Anderson DHing and one of our worst outfielders in center last year (though I'm now forgetting whom).

Anderson's getting some playing time, so it's not like he's in the doghouse again -- but why on Earth do you not play your all-World centerfielder in center and hide the guys who are defensive liabilities?

Ozzie's an idiot, World Series notwithstanding.

Ozzie really values infield defense, evidenced by his loyalty to Uribe. But he just doesn't seem to "get" outfield defense. Maybe it's because as a shortstop, he never turned around to look at how his teammates were positioned?

Brian26
06-17-2008, 10:27 PM

Ozuna.

April 21 at Comerica. Erstad in CF, Ozuna in LF, Anderson as the DH.

Frater Perdurabo
06-17-2008, 10:34 PM
Ozuna.

April 21 at Comerica. Erstad in CF, Ozuna in LF, Anderson as the DH.

Ahh yes. A brilliant defensive arrangement given the large gaps in Comerica. :kukoo:

Nellie_Fox
06-18-2008, 01:18 AM
I'm not saying make Getz your everyday 2B, but we know Uribe will not be here next year. Send Uribe down, bring Getz up and see if we have anything there. I have a feeling that this kid has the tools to be a really good bench player for years to come. Why not see if he could help us now without the pressure to perform when we have Alexi.If you're going to make these kind of posts, you ought to at least research the MLB rules on sending players down. Uribe has too many years of Major League service; he cannot be sent down without his permission. They have to keep him or release him, and he gets paid either way.