PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Sunday Postgame Thread - Revolting Rox beat Revolting Sox

Frater Perdurabo
06-15-2008, 04:47 PM
Discuss.

Nice job working the bases loaded in the bottom of the ninth, but Captain Clutch can't come through this time.

Sockinchisox
06-15-2008, 04:48 PM
It's not over yet.

Edit: Ok, now it is.

Maybe the off day will help.

delben91
06-15-2008, 04:53 PM
Hold on tight everyone, this'll be epic.

Wheeeeeeeeeee!

cleanwsox
06-15-2008, 04:54 PM
Got some hits, but couldn't score. Shocking.

TommyGavinFloyd
Happy Father's Day everyone. Hope you all have plenty of beverages to forget about the Sox performance both today and over the past week.

The house of cards is swaying

thomas35forever
Not much to say except the offense blew again. Rest up tomorrow and be ready for Tuesday.

russ99
Okay, we've lost 5 of 6. Despite some hitting Friday and today the offense still stinks. Ozzie rant time? :tongue:

We'd better wake up or the Cubs will kick our butts next weekend.

SoxSpeed22
Offense sucks, blah blah blah.

getonbckthr
06-15-2008, 04:55 PM
Well that was pure crap!

Droso5
This is the team we have been seeing since the 2nd half of 2006, so please people, don't go crazy and say they should play any different. Take a deep breath, get off the ledge, put the whiskey down...it is what it is.

BadBobbyJenks
What can you say that hasn't been said before?

Time to fire up the barbecue and forget about the Sox until Pittsburgh comes to town.

Frankie5Angels
Typical Whitesox. Base hit ties it and Crede is swinging for the Dan Ryan.

Rdy2PlayBall
Okay, we've lost 5 of 6. Despite some hitting Friday and today the offense still stinks. Ozzie rant time? :tongue:I hope so, I want him to say whats building up in side me right now! :angry:

Frater Perdurabo
This is a game where the ability to manufacture runs really would have been handy.

But the Sox just don't have the ability to do this.

It's a combination of the way the roster is constructed, the way the talent is coached, and of what this organization values overall.

DickAllen72
We have to just tip our caps to a tough opponent. On a positive note, it was great to have Thome back in the lineup.

Tough series coming up against those scrappy Pirates. Let's hope the Sox can pull out a victory against their tough left handers.

hose
06-15-2008, 04:56 PM
It's hard to believe that this is a first place ball club.

home run or nothing:angry:

delben91
They were taking the ball the other way. Stacked up 11 or 12 hits. Were generally patient.

I know I'll be labeled a moron, but color me encouraged by today, despite the result.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled ranting.

DrCrawdad
Got some hits, but couldn't score. Shocking.

11 LOB.

Sox Left For Dead (this series)

Woofer
If that ball hits the ground we probably win there.

BadBobbyJenks
We have to just tip our caps to a tough opponent. On a positive note, it was great to have Thome back in the lineup.

Tough series coming up against those scrappy Pirates. Let's hope the Sox can pull out a victory against their tough left handers.

I can't wait to tip my cap to the great Gorzelanny....

JermaineDye05
06-15-2008, 04:57 PM
Our pitchers need to hold runners better. That's one thing.

Our hitters need to quit pressing and string together some hits.

Our team needs to beat last place ballclubs.

Our fans need to get off OC's ass, I swear I'm gonna go nuts if I hear one more knock on him when he makes an out. The bunt single was a good idea, and he would have had it if the 3rd baseman didn't make a great barehanded play on him.

Droso5
06-15-2008, 04:57 PM
What can you say that hasn't been said before?

Time to fire up the barbecue and forget about the Sox until Pittsburgh comes to town.

Which would be an excellent opportunity for our Mighty White Sox to make the Pirates look like world beaters? If they can be made to look like fools by a bad Tigers team and an awful Rockies team, I'm not holding out much hope for the Pirates to right this ship.

Jerome
06-15-2008, 04:58 PM
offense sucks, this is frustrating, etc.

it will be interesting to see which previously unknown Pirates pitcher pulls out a Cy Young performance

LoveYourSuit
Hold on tight everyone, this'll be epic.

Wheeeeeeeeeee!

as it should be when your team sucks ass.

Frater Perdurabo
This is the team we have been seeing since the 2nd half of 2006, so please people, don't go crazy and say they should play any different.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

KW has assembled a bullpen and rotation that is good enough to win a World Series.

But the offense is just horribly inconsistent, and it's that way as a result of poor design and poor coaching.

WhiteSox5187
Wow. Simply wow. This offense is baaaaaaadd bad bad bad bad bad!! Anyone who thought the Sox division title was inevitable after that Minnesota series better think again, this season isn't over yet and Detroit appears to be waking up. This is just awful. Throw on top of this bad loss that Konerko might be hurt and CQ is hurting and we're in a rough spot.

soxrme
06-15-2008, 04:59 PM
Stupid lineup, what is Dye doing running in 7th, Thome striking out on two good pitches. If Quentin and Konerko hurt get Fields and maybe Eldred up here now. Why is Logan pitching to the right hander? Two games to one of the worst teams in the NL. Hope the Pirates don't sweep us.

delben91
06-15-2008, 05:00 PM
This is just awful.

Man first place sucks!!! I wish we were in last place!!!

WhiteSox5187
They were taking the ball the other way. Stacked up 11 or 12 hits. Were generally patient.

I know I'll be labeled a moron, but color me encouraged by today, despite the result.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled ranting.
Oh we can hit, but we can't drive them in...but when you build a team around a homerun, that's what happens.

LITTLE NELL
Meanwhile Detroit and Cleveland keep inching closer to us, this will be 4 team race before long.

LoveYourSuit
06-15-2008, 05:01 PM

:rolleyes:

Yup, one of the worst records in baseball ... please.

It's like when the brooms came out against Detroit, everyone was banking on this series and the Pirates series for a rebound..... what now?

BadBobbyJenks
Stupid lineup, what is Dye doing running in 7th, Thome striking out on two good pitches. If Quentin and Konerko hurt get Fields and maybe Eldred up here now. Why is Logan pitching to the right hander? Two games to one of the worst teams in the NL. Hope the Pirates don't sweep us.

Yes the lineup was the reason we lost.

Yes Eldred is the answer!

DickAllen72
If Konerko is hurt bring up Owens to take BA's spot on the bench, start BA and Swisher takes over at 1B. It's probably a better lineup like that anyway.

Rdy2PlayBall
Were still in first place by 4.5 games... and Ozie is saying how good we did right now... if he's happy I think were in good shape. :bandance:

Brian26
The Sox were mentally defeated in the bottom of the 4th inning when they only scored one run and left the bases loaded, and the camera showed Contreras shaking his head in disgust right before they went to the commercial break. Sure enough, he gave that run right back in the next inning.

I don't care how good of a bunt Cabrera put down in the 9th, the theory behind trying to get a bunt hit in the bottom of the 9th when you're down by two runs and have a slow-footed guy at the plate is flawed. The only reason you can defend it in hindsight is because he luckily put down the perfect bunt.

delben91
Hope the Pirates don't sweep us.

0-90 from here on out.

Book it.

I'm headed to Vegas.

It's Time
06-15-2008, 05:02 PM
We have to just tip our caps to a tough opponent. .

:?::?::?::?:

voodoochile
06-15-2008, 05:02 PM
as it should be when your team sucks ass.

Trolling, see you in a month.

WhiteSox5187
06-15-2008, 05:03 PM
It's nice to see that the "If you point out any faults of the White Sox you're a dark cloud!" force is out today...we've just lost five out of six to two very bad teams right now. IF we win those games we're running away with the divison. I don't think it's going out on a limb to say "We can't keep playing this way, if we do, we're in for a longer season than we thought." But maybe if we all think positively we'll turn it around! :rolleyes:

Brian26
06-15-2008, 05:03 PM
Stupid lineup, what is Dye doing running in 7th

I was listening to the radio at that point. I assumed it was a botched hit and run. Was that a straight steal?

Frater Perdurabo
06-15-2008, 05:04 PM
I don't care how good of a bunt Cabrera put down in the 9th, the theory behind trying to get a bunt hit in the bottom of the 9th when you're down by two runs and have a slow-footed guy at the plate is flawed. The only reason you can defend it in hindsight is because he luckily put down the perfect bunt.

Agreed. I can definitely see bunting to advance the runner if you're down by one in an effort to tie the game, because tying the game against the opposing closer is a huge momentum shifter and psychological blow.

But down by two? Ugh.

RockJock07
06-15-2008, 05:04 PM
Wow, how do you follow a 7 game win streak, you go 1-5. Kenny needs to start thinking about what he needs to by the trade deadline. He doesn't have alot to work with but this is what he's good at what he does.

Konerko is hurt now and noboby is sounding to positive about it so that's another thing to deal with.

BadBobbyJenks
06-15-2008, 05:05 PM

Oh, OC is slow footed. Well when you put it that way....

Tragg
Why does Ozzie put Ramirez in center and Anderson in left? Isn't Anderson the superior outfielder by far?

Swisher's prolonged slump really hurts this team...he was a balanced hitter who could get on base and hit for power. But with a coaching staff that believes in free swinging (except for occasional lip-service otherwise) and a GM who wants OBP, offensive problems and the inability to resolve them aren't that unexpected. Ramirez could be a real nice player - who on this coaching staff his teaching him the strike zone and how to take pitches?

The answer isn't more emphasis on hacking - that was last year's "solution" that resulted in baseball's worst offense.

DickAllen72

Records shmecords. Colorado is a very tough opponent. Thome, Konerko and Swisher don't have good records this year either yet everyone agrees that they are three of the best hitters in baseball. Just wait until they get it going. :wink:

SoxandtheCityTee
06-15-2008, 05:06 PM

And yet this pitcher is 10-3 on a team that's way under .500.

And I don't follow the NL but they looked to me like a team with some talented bright spots that's been playing very badly, and now they're playing better. Not really shocking. There's quite a bit of that going around.

Rdy2PlayBall
It's nice to see that the "If you point out any faults of the White Sox you're a dark cloud!" force is out today...we've just lost five out of six to two very bad teams right now. IF we win those games we're running away with the divison. I don't think it's going out on a limb to say "We can't keep playing this way, if we do, we're in for a longer season than we thought." But maybe if we all think positively we'll turn it around! :rolleyes:Detroit isn't a bad team.

DickAllen72
Why does Ozzie put Ramirez in center and Anderson in left? Isn't Anderson the superior outfielder by far?

Swisher's prolonged slump really hurts this team...he was a balanced hitter who could get on base and hit for power. But with a coaching staff that believes in free swinging (except for occasional lip-service otherwise) and a GM who wants OBP, offensive problems and the inability to resolve them aren't that unexpected. Ramirez could be a real nice player - who on this coaching staff his teaching him the strike zone and how to take pitches?
Because Ramirez can't play LF and Anderson plays all three OF positions well.

WhiteSox5187
Wow, how do you follow a 7 game win streak, you go 1-5. Kenny needs to start thinking about what he needs to by the trade deadline. He doesn't have alot to work with but this is what he's good at what he does.

Konerko is hurt now and noboby is sounding to positive about it so that's another thing to deal with.
To be fair we don't know how long Konerko is out, do we? He might be able to play Tuesday. Having said that though, this team needs some sort of balance like it is nobody's buisness. This "Home run or nothing" approach hasn't worked in Kenny's previous seven years at the helm, why would it work now???

Frater Perdurabo

I don't want any player to get injured. But given the way Paulie had been hitting, if this means BA gets more starts, this could benefit the offense.

Put Paulie on the DL, let him do a rehab stint in Charlotte, and have him stay there until he starts hitting well.

jabrch
06-15-2008, 05:07 PM
The only reason you can defend it in hindsight is because he luckily put down the perfect bunt.

Actually, I think excellent execution is a great way to defend any move.

getonbckthr
Wost part of this weekend, Detroit looming at 6 back.

infohawk
This is the team we have been seeing since the 2nd half of 2006, so please people, don't go crazy and say they should play any different. Take a deep breath, get off the ledge, put the whiskey down...it is what it is.
Spot on statement. Unless KW does something very dramatic, which would include moving one or two of our middle-of-the-order hitters for a guy or two who can add another dimension to a one-dimensional line-up, this is what we've got for the rest of the year. The hot streaks better be long and well-timed!

By the way, it might not be a bad thing that Paulie might be headed to the DL. Besides resting that oblique he injured today, he can rest that bone bruise in his hand. He's clearly not been the kind of hitter he should be for several weeks now.

russ99
06-15-2008, 05:08 PM
If Konerko is hurt bring up Owens to take BA's spot on the bench, start BA and Swisher takes over at 1B. It's probably a better lineup like that anyway.

No, I'd think BA keeps his spot on the bench (or still in the outfield with Uribe on the bench) and the Sox give Owens a shot at the leadoff/CF spot. It wouldn't hurt to see what we have in-house at that spot before making a deal.

I'd also like to see Thome hit a lot smarter. There's nothing wrong with an opposite field single. All he's seems to be doing lately is walking, striking out or (rarely) hittng a homer.

WhiteSox5187
06-15-2008, 05:09 PM
Detroit isn't a bad team.
They were eleven out when we played them and about what? Ten games under .500? That's pretty bad to me. And they were hurting when we went in there too.

BadBobbyJenks

People can't think rationally when they get a chance to slam Orlando.

It's Time
I really thought Joe was going to get a knock there. This was a frustrating series and embarrassing.

They need to take the series from the Pirates.

Frater Perdurabo
06-15-2008, 05:11 PM
Here's an interesting irony:

The Sox have the second-worst record of all the first place team.

The Sox also have the second-largest lead for first place.

In both instances they trail the Diamondbacks, who have a worse record but a bigger lead in their division.

I definitely am happier about the size of our lead than I am upset about our record in comparison to the other division leaders. So I'm still more of an optimist than a pessimist.

I just wish our hitters were hitting better, that's all.

delben91
06-15-2008, 05:13 PM
Here's an interesting irony:

The Sox have the second-worst record of all the first place team.

The Sox also have the second-largest lead for first place.

In both instances they trail the Diamondbacks, who have a worse record but a bigger lead in their division.

I definitely am happier about the size of our lead than I am upset about our record in comparison to the other division leaders. So I'm still more of an optimist than a pessimist.

I just wish our hitters were hitting better, that's all.

11 hits today, much more patience at the plate, all against a starter for the Rockies who had 9 wins on a team with only 28 total? This isn't progress? Am I the only one eating Crazy Flakes for breakfast again or something?

Frater Perdurabo
06-15-2008, 05:13 PM
No, I'd think BA keeps his spot on the bench (or still in the outfield with Uribe on the bench) and the Sox give Owens a shot at the leadoff/CF spot. It wouldn't hurt to see what we have in-house at that spot before making a deal.

If you want a leadoff hitter, sign Lofton.

Owens just isn't very good.

I'd like to see Owens really start to hit well, bunt for hits well, and take walks well, in Charlotte, before I ask him to do those things for the Sox.

russ99
06-15-2008, 05:17 PM
If you want a leadoff hitter, sign Lofton.

Owens just isn't very good.

I'd like to see Owens really start to hit well, bunt for hits well, and take walks well, in Charlotte, before I ask him to do those things for the Sox.

Uh, no thanks. On a skill level basis, Owens is just as good as a 40 year old Lofton, without the crappy attitude. The only difference is that Owens is an unproven hitter. He also looked pretty good this spring before his injury.

My point being, why not take a shot and see what we have there before going outside the organization?

BTW: Ozzie said he wasn't optimistic with Paul's injury (strained oblique/ribcage) on the postgame show, so we can at least assume a 15-day DL stint, retroactive to today.

Rdy2PlayBall
06-15-2008, 05:17 PM
Don't worry, we are NOT the worst team in first place. Arizona has less wins than us! :cool:

cheezheadsoxfan
06-15-2008, 05:18 PM
11 hits today, much more patience at the plate, all against a starter for the Rockies who had 9 wins on a team with only 28 total? This isn't progress? Am I the only one eating Crazy Flakes for breakfast again or something?

I'll take any rays of sunshine I can get. And the Twinkies lost.

Frater Perdurabo
06-15-2008, 05:19 PM
Don't worry, we are NOT the worst team in first place. Arizona has less wins than us! :cool:

That's fewer wins, not less. :tongue:

WhiteSox5187
You see, the point of the game is get more RUNS than the other team, not hits. And in that objective, we failed. And we failed that objective the previous night as well and several other occasions. It is becoming quite irksome now to some. Especially those who are worried that may be a trend entering it's second full season.

Law11
I'll take any rays of sunshine I can get. And the Twinkies lost.

Woo-Hoo we've lost 5/6 and only lost 2 games in the division.
There is a silver lining..

voodoochile
06-15-2008, 05:20 PM

Swish or Uribe get their line drives down or 6 feet to either side and the Sox probsbly win.

WhiteSox5187
06-15-2008, 05:20 PM
Worst first place team is an oxymoron, you're still in first! I'd gladly be the worst first place team at the end of the year. What's so maddening though is we could play up to about half of our potential offensively, we're one of the BEST teams in baseball. And we're not doing that!

Tragg
06-15-2008, 05:22 PM
Uh, no thanks. On a skill level basis, Owens is just as good as a 40 year old Lofton, without the crappy attitude. The only difference is that Owens is an unproven hitter. He also looked pretty good this spring before his injury.

That's a huge difference considering that lack of hitting and leadoff is the great need. owens isn't a good defender either.
And he can't drive the ball a lick and doesn't take pitches, so he's dependent on his slaps squirting through. If he can't obp at .350 minimum, he's a liability....and he hasn't shown he can come close to that.

The Sox tried this approach last year - players who could slap, hack, make outs where Ozzie told them to. It was a disaster.

Tragg
06-15-2008, 05:24 PM
When a move requires near perfect execution to succeed, it's a questionable move.

BadBobbyJenks
06-15-2008, 05:29 PM
Swish or Uribe get their line drives down or 6 feet to either side and the Sox probsbly win.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1927331&postcount=38

WhiteSox5187
06-15-2008, 05:30 PM
If Konerko is on the DL for an extended period, and assuming you call up Owens, where would he play? CF? What happens with Quentin then (assuming his hand isn't warranting a trip to the DL)? So would your lineup look like:

Owens - CF
Cabrera - SS
Quentin - LF
Dye - RF
Thome - DH
Swisher - 1B
AJ - C
Crede - 3B
Alexei - 2B

Truth be told I'd rather see Anderson out there in CF...I don't know, we'll have to wait and see.

Jerko
06-15-2008, 05:36 PM
The Sox were mentally defeated in the bottom of the 4th inning when they only scored one run and left the bases loaded, and the camera showed Contreras shaking his head in disgust right before they went to the commercial break. Sure enough, he gave that run right back in the next inning.

That bunt was the worst play of the game IMO. RP comes in and is greeted immediately by a line shot hit from Uribe of all people, and we piss away an out with that ****in bunt with a L-L matchup with AJ up next. Awful ****in call IMO. The one time I wish the bunt didn't work. OC was hitting the ball hard all night and he ****in bunts down 2. Awful. (note: I didn't read this thread so I apologize now if I stole somebody's thunder. That bunt call sucked ass.

October26
06-15-2008, 05:36 PM
I'd like to wish all the dads out there including my dad a Happy Father's Day! I'm disappointed the Sox couldn't get us a win today, but still hopeful that they can turn things around. This team is definitely all or nothing (last week they won 7 straight, this week the Sox lost 5 out of 6).

I hope the upcoming week brings us more wins. Enjoy the rest of the day, everybody.

LITTLE NELL
06-15-2008, 05:38 PM
Whats with this talk of Konerko on the DL, did this happen today.Nothing on Sox website.

October26
06-15-2008, 05:40 PM
Whats with this talk of Konerko on the DL, did this happen today.Nothing on Sox website.

On the Sox radio post game show, they are saying that Paulie has a strained oblique muscle. Nothing official about him going on the DL has been announced yet.

BRDSR
06-15-2008, 05:46 PM
Were still in first place by 4.5 games... and Ozie is saying how good we did right now... if he's happy I think were in good shape. :bandance:

Right. Ozzie's thoughts are a good measure of reality.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: this offense cannot ever compete with the best pitching in baseball and are sometimes stymied by the worst. If it makes the playoffs, the results will be pathetic. Think 2000-pathetic.

MCHSoxFan
06-15-2008, 05:49 PM
Well that was pure crap!

Yes. Yes it was. I saw Pods today and we talked. He thanked me for saying I miss him. I also saw Ozzie after is post-game press show and I wanted to say...But I didn't.

WhiteSox5187
06-15-2008, 05:53 PM
Right. Ozzie's thoughts are a good measure of reality.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: this offense cannot ever compete with the best pitching in baseball and are sometimes stymied by the worst. If it makes the playoffs, the results will be pathetic. Think 2000-pathetic.
This offense is streaky. One week it will be red hot and the next ice cold. It was like that in 2000 and as the playoffs started, we were ice cold. If this team makes the playoffs (and that's no sure thing) but if we do and we go in there and our offense starts to click we could do some major damage. Just ask Colorado last year. In order to do well in the playoffs you have to be good enough to get in and lucky enough to get hot at the right time.

Frater Perdurabo
06-15-2008, 05:57 PM
Think 2000-pathetic.

The 2000 lineup was better than this 2008 edition. The 2000 team hit .286. Paulie hit .298; Frank, Maggs and Lee and Herbert Perry all hit over .300. Five players had more than 30 doubles. Five hit more than 20 homers. Five stole more than ten bases each.

This team might have one regular hit .300 for the year and just one guy with double digit stolen bases.

I would give up my left nut to have this offense produce like the 2000 offense, especially to pair it up with this rotation and bullpen!

whitesox901
06-15-2008, 06:01 PM
well we had the cold week..now its time for the hot one. day off should help. lets get em tuesday!

russ99
06-15-2008, 06:02 PM
If Konerko is on the DL for an extended period, and assuming you call up Owens, where would he play? CF? What happens with Quentin then (assuming his hand isn't warranting a trip to the DL)? So would your lineup look like:

Owens - CF
Cabrera - SS
Quentin - LF
Dye - RF
Thome - DH
Swisher - 1B
AJ - C
Crede - 3B
Alexei - 2B

Truth be told I'd rather see Anderson out there in CF...I don't know, we'll have to wait and see.

I'd probably go with:

Owens - CF
Cabrera - 2B
Swisher - 1B
Dye - RF
Quentin - LF
Thome - DH
A.J. - C
Crede - 3B
Alexei - 2B

And if Owens was good enough to break camp with the team this spring before his injury, why is he suddenly not now, especially with the poor alternative of Lofton.

If the Sox get a solid leadoff hitter, I'd be all for sending Owens down for the rest of the season to work on his hitting, but as of now, he's the best option we have to get more speed in the lineup, and the logical call-up if Konerko has to go on the DL.

Don't forget, we also have 6 games in NL parks next week...

MCHSoxFan
06-15-2008, 06:06 PM

Sure feels like this. We maybe in 1st, but I doubt for long. EVERY team but us and KC is heating up. Also, we are now 1-5 and we are playing DET & COL. WOW! After we played MIN I was soooo pumped. Now, this team can go straight to...

October26
06-15-2008, 06:15 PM
Sure feels like this. We maybe in 1st, but I doubt for long. EVERY team but us and KC is heating up. Also, we are now 1-5 and we are playing DET & COL. WOW! After we played MIN I was soooo pumped. Now, this team can go straight to...

MCH:

I'm sending you some positive energy across the internet. Stay positive. I know it is easy to get down on our Sox after they have won 1 game and lost 5 this past week, but I say to you now: baseball is a very long season where there will be ups and downs. I know you love the Sox as much as I do, so stay the course. There will be better days ahead for us and our team.

Sincerely,
October26

whitesox901
06-15-2008, 06:17 PM
MCH:

I'm sending you some positive energy across the internet. Stay positive. I know it is hard to get down on our Sox after they have won 1 game and lost 5 this past week, but I say to you now: baseball is a very long season where there will be ups and downs. I know you love the Sox as much as I do, so stay the course. There will be better days ahead for us and our team.

Sincerely,
October26

Big ups too you man! you got me thinking good agian :cool:

EdHerman12
06-15-2008, 06:23 PM
:hawk-------> "Nothing you can do when a team comes in and gets all the dad gum breaks!

kevingrt
06-15-2008, 06:37 PM
Two very non-descript, ugly offensive performances in a row versus what was a terrible pitching staff in Colorado is not good. We need to turn this around and take the Pittsburgh series before heading north.

TomBradley72
06-15-2008, 06:47 PM

No way. No way. No way. Quentin/Owens/Dye would give us the worst defensive outfield in the majors.

kitekrazy
06-15-2008, 06:48 PM
Spot on statement. Unless KW does something very dramatic, which would include moving one or two of our middle-of-the-order hitters for a guy or two who can add another dimension to a one-dimensional line-up, this is what we've got for the rest of the year. The hot streaks better be long and well-timed!

Every GM sees what we see, and it's a false hope they would be naive to take our homer or nothing hitters.

We have pitching and I'd rather not get rid of that. That's what any GM will want.

This team hits or doesn't hit as a group. That may indicate a problem of coaching.

I'm not sure this team will be good enough to win it all this year even trying to make a mid season trade.

TomBradley72
06-15-2008, 06:52 PM
Crede's approach was very disappointing in that 9th inning AB. He was going for the longest, most upper cut swing that's possible, when a single ties the game, and puts the winning run in scorig position. You can't get a hit every time....but if he just used the same approach he took earlier in the game when he singled to right center...he had a better chance.

MCHSoxFan
06-15-2008, 06:53 PM
MCH:

I'm sending you some positive energy across the internet. Stay positive. I know it is easy to get down on our Sox after they have won 1 game and lost 5 this past week, but I say to you now: baseball is a very long season where there will be ups and downs. I know you love the Sox as much as I do, so stay the course. There will be better days ahead for us and our team.

Sincerely,
October26

Thank you. I feel a ton better now.

peeonwrigley
06-15-2008, 06:53 PM
What a wretched weekend. This team can be infuriating.

MCHSoxFan
06-15-2008, 06:54 PM
Crede's approach was very disappointing in that 9th inning AB. He was going for the longest, most upper cut swing that's possible, when a single ties the game, and puts the winning run in scorig position. You can't get a hit every time....but if he just used the same approach he took earlier in the game when he singled to right center...he had a better chance.

GREAT point.

MCHSoxFan
06-15-2008, 06:56 PM
Some people are talking about they wish that they would have the 2000 offense. Put it like this, I would just love to have 2005 pitching with the FIRST half of 2006 offense. Please, make it happen! :smile:

getonbckthr
06-15-2008, 07:51 PM
I have no problem with OC's bunt in the 9th. He was trying to get a hit and make something happen.

infohawk
06-15-2008, 08:04 PM
I have no problem with OC's bunt in the 9th. He was trying to get a hit and make something happen.
It was a terrific bunt, and took an equally terrific play to record the out.

Soxman219
06-15-2008, 08:25 PM
Well, we had a bad week two weeks ago, a great week last week, and a bad week this week. So that would mean that next week would be a good week, right?:smile:

Chilli Palmer
06-15-2008, 09:25 PM
Trolling, see you in a month.

Sorry Jim. They sucked today period.

JB98
06-15-2008, 09:39 PM

I agree. My sister and I were talking on the way out of the Cell, and we both agreed that Crede was trying for a grand slam instead of a base hit. He was out in front of Fuentes' pitch and appeared to catch it off the end of the bat from our vantage point.

Like all Sox fans, I'm very disappointed in this weekend's results. At least they had their opportunities today. I'm always far more irritated when they go quietly into the night, as they did on Saturday. Throughout today's game, you felt like the Sox had a chance. They just couldn't get the big hit at the key time to turn this game around. It's frustrating.

gobears1987
06-15-2008, 10:27 PM
I don't know what to say other than this team can be really good or really bad depending on the week. I'd just like consistency.

Chicken Dinner
06-15-2008, 10:28 PM
It looked to me that the Rockies exploited every weakness we have perfectly.

voodoochile
06-15-2008, 10:29 PM
Sorry Jim. They sucked today period.

That's a different statement and I don't want to have this discussion in public. You want to e-mail or PM me, feel free.

MCHSoxFan
06-15-2008, 10:35 PM
Well, we had a bad week two weeks ago, a great week last week, and a bad week this week. So that would mean that next week would be a good week, right?:smile:

Oh, I sure hope sooo! I am goona be there on Thursday awaiting the sweet sweep! :cool:

MCHSoxFan
06-15-2008, 10:36 PM
It was a terrific bunt, and took an equally terrific play to record the out.

You said it sir!

Lip Man 1
06-15-2008, 11:15 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-080615-slumping-offense-chicago-white-sox,1,616147.story

Contains Ozzie quotes

Lip

Nellie_Fox
06-16-2008, 02:46 AM
To be fair we don't know how long Konerko is out, do we? He might be able to play Tuesday.Not likely, with an oblique muscle strain. Those are known to hang on.

Put Paulie on the DL, let him do a rehab stint in Charlotte, and have him stay there until he starts hitting well.Rehab assignments are limited, twenty days max if I remember correctly.

delben91
06-16-2008, 07:20 AM
Put Paulie on the DL, let him do a rehab stint in Charlotte, and have him stay there until he starts hitting well.

Should've traded him to the Angels!!!!!! :gah:

:tongue:

Blueprint1
06-16-2008, 10:58 AM
This team is frustrating to watch. I really don't know how bad or good we are. Sometimes we look like the best team in baseball. Sometimes we lose look like the worst team in baseball. Its a real :scratch:

spiffie
06-16-2008, 11:05 AM
This team is frustrating to watch. I really don't know how bad or good we are. Sometimes we look like the best team in baseball. Sometimes we lose look like the worst team in baseball. Its a real :scratch:
We're exactly the team you would expect from that. A slightly above average group, benefitting from some very good pitching, but hamstrung by an extremely inconsistent offense that is seemingly utterly incapable of adjusting.

Before the year began I said the Sox would need to flip a coin 10 times and have it come up heads 9 or 10 of those in order to be a great team. Right now they're around 6-7 times. For every success they've gotten where there was a question mark (Danks, Floyd, Dotel, Linebrink, Quentin, Ramirez, Crede, Contreras) they have had some rather hard to deal with failures (Konerko, Swisher, Cabrera, Thome, Uribe) that have kept them from really moving into that upper echelon. They needed everyone firing on all cylinders to move into the group of teams who look like real World Series contenders (Angels, Red Sox, Cubs), instead hanging out in that group of teams who have legitimate playoff hopes, but don't seem equipped to go all the way barring a major change.

voodoochile
06-16-2008, 11:38 AM
We're exactly the team you would expect from that. A slightly above average group, benefitting from some very good pitching, but hamstrung by an extremely inconsistent offense that is seemingly utterly incapable of adjusting.

Before the year began I said the Sox would need to flip a coin 10 times and have it come up heads 9 or 10 of those in order to be a great team. Right now they're around 6-7 times. For every success they've gotten where there was a question mark (Danks, Floyd, Dotel, Linebrink, Quentin, Ramirez, Crede, Contreras) they have had some rather hard to deal with failures (Konerko, Swisher, Cabrera, Thome, Uribe) that have kept them from really moving into that upper echelon. They needed everyone firing on all cylinders to move into the group of teams who look like real World Series contenders (Angels, Red Sox, Cubs), instead hanging out in that group of teams who have legitimate playoff hopes, but don't seem equipped to go all the way barring a major change.

Just to be picky, is Cabrera still considered a failure? I'd be hard pressed to make that argument personally. Also, Uribe wasn't supposed to be on the team, so counting him as a failure seems picky. He's not part of this team if Richar is healthy to start the season and won't be here much past the trade deadline because the Sox will put him through waivers and trade him for Alpo to feed Reinsy's dog if they have to.

ondafarm
06-16-2008, 11:56 AM
. . . For every success they've gotten where there was a question mark (Danks, Floyd, Dotel, Linebrink, Quentin, Ramirez, Crede, Contreras) they have had some rather hard to deal with failures (Konerko, Swisher, Cabrera, Thome, Uribe) that have kept them from really moving into that upper echelon. They needed everyone firing on all cylinders to move into the group of teams who look like real World Series contenders (Angels, Red Sox, Cubs), instead hanging out in that group of teams who have legitimate playoff hopes, but don't seem equipped to go all the way barring a major change.

They seem equipped to go all the way, but I think the coaching/ management has been helping much at all.

My one consistent issue with Walker as the hitting coach is that he doesn't seem to prepare the team for the different issues hitting will face. Not that I don't think Walker isn't trying, not that he doesn't know, but for whatever reason, the messages aren't getting through. This team still seems to choke against left-handed soft-tossers or breaking ball pitchers. Without going into detail, there are things you can do to mitigate that, but I see very few of the Sox hitters doing any of them. I recall seeing Walker do some of them when he played.

Management, I mean Ozzie. Okay, Ozzie is not the worst manager I've ever seen because the Sox have had some real terrible ones. Jerry Manuel leaps to mind. But Ozzie has shown time and again he can't manage pitching. While he seems solid on boosting his guys confidence, there are times when you just have to listen to the catcher and the pitching coach and not send the guy out there for one more inning. Ozzie always errs on the side of confidence and that is not winning baseball.

And what the heck is with these whacked out lineups that Ozzie insists on playing? Putting Ramirez in CF yesterday cost the Sox big time (probably the game) but Ozzie insisted on Uribe playing second the whole weekend. Sorry, but that is dumb. I like Uribe, but he allowed his lacksidasical attitude to erode his position and trotting him out there for loyalties sake is counter-productive.

pierzynski07
06-16-2008, 12:04 PM
Um, Uribe was a last minute addition when Paulie was scratched.

hi im skot
06-16-2008, 12:10 PM
And what the heck is with these whacked out lineups that Ozzie insists on playing? Putting Ramirez in CF yesterday cost the Sox big time (probably the game) but Ozzie insisted on Uribe playing second the whole weekend. Sorry, but that is dumb. I like Uribe, but he allowed his lacksidasical attitude to erode his position and trotting him out there for loyalties sake is counter-productive.

I assume you're referring to Alexei's ill-advised throw home early in the game that allowed a runner to advance to second? Yeah, that was a bad move.

However, Anderson made a spectacular play in left that was a big moment in the game. Ramirez has experience playing center, so I don't have a problem with him getting an occasional start out there.

Yesterday was rough with the last-minute line-up shuffle. With Quentin already resting and Konerko being a last-minute scratch, we were without two of our big bats. We still should have won, but the circumstances certainly weren't helpful.

By the way, Uribe made some solid contact that the RF was playing perfectly, and Colorado's infield was throwing some major leather. Swisher got robbed at least once, and Cabrera should have had an RBI single that was somehow kept in the infield and kept the runner (Alexei?) at third. We got robbed at least four or five times.

A rough day all around. I'm hopeful they can have their way with the Pirates and take some momentum into Wrigley. If the Sox struggle on the northside, I'm worried that, despite JB98's theory, I think we're in for a long summer.

WagMan
06-16-2008, 12:16 PM
On a side note to the disappointing game that was played yesterday, I was disappointed in the promotions for Kids Day. We made the effort, as did a lot of families, to get down to the Cell as the gates opened at 11:05 to participate in Kids Day festivities. Well, as the gates were opening, they announced that "Due to the inclement weather, the players will not be signing autographs today." Inclement weather? I can understand an hour earlier as the storms rolled through, but as the gates opened, there was nothing but warmth and sunshine.

So, because there was no BP, all the kids crammed down by the dugout hoping a Sox player would pop out and still sign something for them. A few did which was nice to see. Gavin Floyd signed for a long time after his bullpen session which was great for the kids. He even stopped to take pictures and threw out a "happy father's day." Class act on his behalf.

Anyway, it just didn't seem to have the usual flair and excitement of a Kids Day, especially on Father's day.

PatK
06-16-2008, 12:36 PM
If Paulie is really hurt, he needs to be put on the DL STAT!!!!

I don't want to see like last year where we wasted a roster spot on Dye by not playing him when he was obviously too hurt to play. Granted, it was a different situation because of his contract status at the time, but this time they have to make that move.

Although I'm mad that this was a series the Sox should have won, you can't really rip on the Rockies as being so terrible. Remember, they faced the Sox in Arizona and are pretty familiar with them.

I think people are really getting made because the Cubs swept them recently and we lost 2 of three- but the Cubs didn't face the same lineup we did due to injuries.

Let's hope they regroup on the off day and take out our frustrations on the Pirates.

ondafarm
06-16-2008, 01:37 PM
Paulie has been hurt, his thumb has kept him from being the same guy since San Francisco. I think 15 days of DL would fix major problems for him. DL guys can still take BP.

ondafarm
06-16-2008, 01:39 PM
. . . Ramirez has experience playing center, so I don't have a problem with him getting an occasional start out there. . .

So did Crazy Carl but he didn't belong in CF. Alexei has very good speed, but just like Pods, isn't a CF.

hi im skot
06-16-2008, 02:26 PM
So did Crazy Carl but he didn't belong in CF. Alexei has very good speed, but just like Pods, isn't a CF.

Wasn't CF one of Alexei's main positions in Cuba?

spiffie
06-16-2008, 02:49 PM
Just to be picky, is Cabrera still considered a failure? I'd be hard pressed to make that argument personally. Also, Uribe wasn't supposed to be on the team, so counting him as a failure seems picky. He's not part of this team if Richar is healthy to start the season and won't be here much past the trade deadline because the Sox will put him through waivers and trade him for Alpo to feed Reinsy's dog if they have to.
I think considering the Sox thought they were trading for a guy who could hit 300/340/400, give gold glove defense, and be a leader on the field in the clubhouse, and instead they've gotten below average (though improving) production at the plate, some rather shoddy defense, some very odd baserunning implying a lack of focus, and has been something of a malcontent in the clubhouse. I strongly suspect that if Kenny Williams thought this was what he was getting that he would have spent his trading chips differently this offseason. Perhaps failure is overly perjorative, but so far in my opinion he has come up tails if we continue the coin flip analogy. If he has another month or two of hot production then talk to me.

As for Uribe, I don't count his performance against Williams so much as simply a fact in assessing the Sox as they stood to open the year. Whether they wanted him there or not, the Sox had Uribe in the starting lineup for 33 of the first 41 games, so his performance as a sub 200 hitter has to be factored in, especially since he has again started 3 straight games, and may start more. I would however bet you a dollar that when the Sox play their last game of the year Juan Uribe is still on the roster. Face it, he is Rasputin.

The Immigrant
06-16-2008, 02:59 PM
I think considering the Sox thought they were trading for a guy who could hit 300/340/400, give gold glove defense, and be a leader on the field in the clubhouse, and instead they've gotten below average (though improving) production at the plate, some rather shoddy defense, some very odd baserunning implying a lack of focus, and has been something of a malcontent in the clubhouse.

Care to elaborate?

It's Dankerific
06-16-2008, 03:17 PM
Care to elaborate?

Um, have you been watching the games? Im not the OP but OC's defense has been weak at best. a few rare gems to go along with some hugely disappointing defense. just recently, remember when he didn't cover 2nd when Alexei went to get a ball in short right? Alexei had the ball there in time and OC was looking at the stars or something. His excellent plays are as often as you would hope a GG's errors would be.

It's Dankerific
06-16-2008, 03:18 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-080615-slumping-offense-chicago-white-sox,1,616147.story

Contains Ozzie quotes

Lip

I'm more interesting in the writer's note that like most of the team, Thome has had hot and cold streaks. When exactly was Thome's hot streak? game 1 against CC?

The Immigrant
06-16-2008, 03:29 PM
Um, have you been watching the games? Im not the OP but OC's defense has been weak at best.

Calling Cabrera's defense "weak at best" is kind of silly, but hey - who am I to argue with someone who watches the games? :rolleyes:

There are objective analyses out there that rank Cabrera among the top defensive SS in the AL this year, so I was hoping the OP could elaborate on his opinion.

spiffie
06-16-2008, 03:34 PM
Calling Cabrera's defense "weak at best" is kind of silly, but hey - who am I to argue with someone who watches the games? :rolleyes:

There are objective analyses out there that rank Cabrera among the top defensive SS in the AL this year, so I was hoping the OP could elaborate on his opinion.
Well, considering how this site feels about any sort of "analysis" I think I can move past this relatively quickly. Defense is widely acknowledged to be something that is almost unquantifiable in any meaningful way.

That said, for someone who was advertised as one of the best defensive shortstops in the game in the field, he simply has not been impressive. Again perhaps tying in with lack of focus he has just plain botched a surprising amount of plays. Perhaps I am spoiled with Uribe, who even when he was being slow and lazy still played a better SS than Cabrera has this year. I wouldn't call him "weak at best", but I would say that it has been no better than average. Some good plays sprinkled in with some head-slappers. He hasn't been the SS equivalent of Mackowiak in CF or anything, just that for something that supposedly is one of his bigger assets it has not lived up to expectations in this viewer's opinion. And to steal the mindset of so many of the folks here, I don't need stats or analysis, I can watch the games and tell who is good. :cool:

It's Dankerific
06-16-2008, 03:35 PM

Probably helps to call the official scorer every time you make an error.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

It's Dankerific
06-16-2008, 03:38 PM
Calling Cabrera's defense "weak at best" is kind of silly, but hey -

weak at best", but I would say that it has been no better than average.

When the player in question has played THIS SEASON as the 3rd best SS on the team, I think weak is an accurate description of his abilities. I'm ready to start the Alexei show at SS.

ondafarm
06-16-2008, 04:00 PM
Wasn't CF one of Alexei's main positions in Cuba?

SS was his main position.

ondafarm
06-16-2008, 04:07 PM
That said, for someone who was advertised as one of the best defensive shortstops in the game in the field, he simply has not been impressive.

I guess we have very different standards because he has impressed me. He gets to far more balls than Uribe was capable of, his reading of pitch location and moving to where the ball will be hit as the pitch is being thrown (and be right consistently) is something I've seen in fewer than half a dozen defenders in my life. That he doesn't make a ton of outstanding looking plays is really just part of his prowess.

His bat was disappointing, but he's been on a tear and his BA is definitely approaching where it should be.

hi im skot
06-16-2008, 05:38 PM
SS was his main position.

My bad.

DickAllen72
06-16-2008, 06:06 PM
By no means should Cabrera be considered a "failure" anymore, although he sure seemed like he was going to be after the first month or so.

However I still consider him a disappointment because I had much higher expectations from him. I realize that I probably was under false impressions, because I had this image of him as a very "baseball smart" player who was a slick fielder, a tough out, a great handler of the bat, and a clutch hitter. That's why I was happy with the trade for Garland.

After watching him for a few months with the Sox, I'd say he's not a very "smart" player at all, is average to slightly above average in the field, is a decent hitter but nothing special, and his "bat handling" abilities are average at best. He is a pretty good baserunner. I don't think he's the team leader type he was made out to be either. I'd give him a C+ to maybe a B- as a total package.

TomBradley72
06-16-2008, 06:47 PM
By no means should Cabrera be considered a "failure" anymore, although he sure seemed like he was going to be after the first month or so.

However I still consider him a disappointment because I had much higher expectations from him. I realize that I probably was under false impressions, because I had this image of him as a very "baseball smart" player who was a slick fielder, a tough out, a great handler of the bat, and a clutch hitter. That's why I was happy with the trade for Garland.

After watching him for a few months with the Sox, I'd say he's not a very "smart" player at all, is average to slightly above average in the field, is a decent hitter but nothing special, and his "bat handling" abilities are average at best. He is a pretty good baserunner. I don't think he's the team leader type he was made out to be either. I'd give him a C+ to maybe a B- as a total package.

I agree....I'd probably give him a B+ as our SS in general...but vs. expectations and what justifies trading Garland...B-/C+ sounds about right.

He seems to have pretty regular "brain cramps" on the basepaths, the leadership thing has been non-existent, nothing to note when it comes to bat handling or speed. He's a .270 hitting SS with an average/below average arm, who doesn't make many errors.

Madscout
06-17-2008, 01:02 AM
The thing that gets me is that he always looks to be out there for his numbers. Especially in the field. I have seen more than one occasion that he will call other people off a fly ball even though they have a better play on it (happened with quinten where carlos slowed down because orlando was charging at the fly that carlos had a better play on) just because he wants the put out or something. He is looking for a big fat contract, and he doesn't care or think it will be from us. I just don't know about the guy.

ondafarm
06-17-2008, 04:04 PM
The thing that gets me is that he always looks to be out there for his numbers. Especially in the field. I have seen more than one occasion that he will call other people off a fly ball even though they have a better play on it (happened with quinten where carlos slowed down because orlando was charging at the fly that carlos had a better play on) just because he wants the put out or something. He is looking for a big fat contract, and he doesn't care or think it will be from us. I just don't know about the guy.

You are looking at him do his job. The three guys in charge on a baseball diamond are a) shortstop b) CF c) catcher.