PDA

View Full Version : Podsednik Rumor from Bruce Levine Yesterday

Brian26
06-15-2008, 12:25 PM
LeVine-Line says the Rockies are shopping Podsednik right now, and there's a team that has coveted him since mid-2007. This particular team currently has a leftfielder on the DL for the next six weeks and needs a leadoff hitter. The trade makes sense, but it would be a kick in the ass to Sox fans if it happens and it works out.

It's Time
06-15-2008, 12:27 PM
This is hilarious! A.J. Burnett wants to be a Cub and now Pods is possibly being coveted by them.

However, I don't see Pods as a fit on the Cubs. They will have Soriano back after the ASB.

getonbckthr
06-15-2008, 12:29 PM
LeVine-Line says the Rockies are shopping Podsednik right now, and there's a team that has coveted him since mid-2007. This particular team currently has a leftfielder on the DL for the next six weeks and needs a leadoff hitter. The trade makes sense, but it would be a kick in the ass to Sox fans if it happens and it works out.
I wouldn't give a damn. We have Quentin and Swisher both of which I prefer to Podsednik.

getonbckthr
06-15-2008, 12:29 PM
This is hilarious! A.J. Burnett wants to be a Cub and now Pods is possibly being coveted by them.

However, I don't see Pods as a fit on the Cubs. They will have Soriano back after the ASB.
CenterField and leading off.

Palehose Pete
06-15-2008, 12:56 PM
Well, if Levine(line) is reporting it, I'm discounting the accuracy of this news by about 99.99%.

jabrch
06-15-2008, 01:01 PM
but it would be a kick in the ass to Sox fans if it happens and it works out.

I'm not sure how...we let him go because we didn't need him. If he helps the Cubs - good for Scotty and good for the Cubs.

jabrch
06-15-2008, 01:02 PM
CenterField and leading off.

He'd be a terrible defensive CF - amongst the worst in baseball.

getonbckthr
06-15-2008, 01:04 PM
I think he would be just fine. He wasn't a liability in Milwaukee.

Scottiehaswheels
06-15-2008, 01:13 PM
They coveted him since mid '07 and he didn't get signed til when January? by the Rockies? Covet him my ass.

Brian26
06-15-2008, 01:23 PM
They coveted him since mid '07 and he didn't get signed til when January? by the Rockies? Covet him my ass.

Levine's choice of words can be debated, but the Podsednik-to-the-Cubs trade rumor was very alive around this time last year, so there definitely has been interest.

whitesoxfan
06-15-2008, 01:31 PM

He's even more valuable as an option off the bench and as a pinch runner.

TomBradley72
06-15-2008, 01:37 PM
I know I'm in the extreme minority...but I'd like to see Pods back with the Sox. I don't believe we need two back up infielders...so either Ozuna or Uribe are expendable (especially based on their playing time since Ramirez has come on ). I'd like Pods as a 5th OF, pinch runner off the bench, and occasional DH when we really want to inject some speed into the line up.

We are in desperate need of some "disruptive" speed that can truly pressure the other team's defense. This not an attempt to "re-create" 2005...I just cannot think of another player who can deliver that for us at a low price (ie. trade value). Pods fits that role better than any in-house alternatives (Owens, Richar, etc.).

WhiteSox5187
06-15-2008, 05:34 PM
I know I'm in the extreme minority...but I'd like to see Pods back with the Sox. I don't believe we need two back up infielders...so either Ozuna or Uribe are expendable (especially based on their playing time since Ramirez has come on ). I'd like Pods as a 5th OF, pinch runner off the bench, and occasional DH when we really want to inject some speed into the line up.

We are in desperate need of some "disruptive" speed that can truly pressure the other team's defense. This not an attempt to "re-create" 2005...I just cannot think of another player who can deliver that for us at a low price (ie. trade value). Pods fits that role better than any in-house alternatives (Owens, Richar, etc.).
I'd kinda like to see Pods back but it's strictly for sentimental reasons. He hasn't shown he can get on consistently enough to be that much of a force on the basepaths. We have no need for him right now.

getonbckthr
06-15-2008, 05:42 PM

Whether he is or isn't I don't know, but is the upgrade we will gain from Pods over that of Anderson, Owens and Richar worth the pieces we will give up?

WhiteSox5187
06-15-2008, 05:51 PM
Whether he is or isn't I don't know, but is the upgrade we will gain from Pods over that of Anderson, Owens and Richar worth the pieces we will give up?
I don't think you'd be losing any major pieces in order to acquire Pods right now.

Craig Grebeck
06-15-2008, 05:56 PM
I don't think you'd be losing any major pieces in order to acquire Pods right now.
There's a reason for that.

getonbckthr
06-15-2008, 05:58 PM
Some might argue losing any prospects is too much.

WhiteSox5187
06-15-2008, 06:13 PM
Some might argue losing any prospects is too much.
Who was the guy we got from the Phillies for Iguchi? That's about all it would take to get Pods right now...but there's no reason for him to be on our team.

AzureJazzMan
06-16-2008, 06:47 PM
I don't think that Pods would be the person we should go after on the Rockies. That boat sailed when Ozzie emphasized that Pods can't stay healthy.

The person that we could go after because he is being shopped around as well, is Willy Taveras. He is certainly younger than Pods, and quicker from what I saw. Ozzie even said not to waste time trying to pick him off stealing a base. That they couldn't do it. So that would be who I nominate...IF we actually go after someone in a trade.

tick53
06-16-2008, 07:24 PM
I wouldn't give a damn. We have Quentin and Swisher both of which I prefer to Podsednik.

You said it all Bro!

russ99
06-17-2008, 09:11 AM
I don't think that Pods would be the person we should go after on the Rockies. That boat sailed when Ozzie emphasized that Pods can't stay healthy.

The person that we could go after because he is being shopped around as well, is Willy Taveras. He is certainly younger than Pods, and quicker from what I saw. Ozzie even said not to waste time trying to pick him off stealing a base. That they couldn't do it. So that would be who I nominate...IF we actually go after someone in a trade.

As for Pods, even I as a huge fan realizes that his ship has sailed.

We really don't want Willy Tavarez. He's very similar to Owens, a slap hitter but with even less gap power. A large percentage of his hits are bunts and grounders to the left side that he beats out. He does have more speed than Owens, but is also shakier in the field. If Owens played full time, his stats would likely be equal to Tavarez, with maybe a slight decrease in SB for now while Jerry learns the ins and outs of the pitchers and catchers of the league.

Why give up assets when we already have Owens...

I'd rather see us acquire someone experienced with a decent batting average and OBP.