PDA

View Full Version : A.J. Burnett basically says he wants to be traded to the Cubs

It's Time
06-15-2008, 11:58 AM
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/cubs/1006767,CST-SPT-cubnt15.article

:rolleyes:

I am going to go out on a limb and say the media has once again planted the seed by asking a question: "How would you like to play for the Cubs?"

The media has no shame, do they?

getonbckthr
06-15-2008, 12:08 PM

I am going to go out on a limb and say the media has once again planted the seed by asking a question: "How would you like to play for the Cubs?"

Chance to play for the current best team in baseball: X
Chance to play in the best city in the world: X
Chance to be on the team to break a 100 yr draught: X
Whats wrong with Burnett wanting to be traded there?

Craig Grebeck
06-15-2008, 12:12 PM

I don't really see your point. The Cubs are anxious for SP -- the Jays are said to be shopping him around. How does that make the media shameful?

DickAllen72
06-15-2008, 12:13 PM
It seems like no matter how bad the Cubs track record is, they still are the favored team of the media, fans and players f almost every city. :scratch:

jabrch
06-15-2008, 12:17 PM
I think the Cubs really need a guy who can go more than 5 innings - but the good news about him is that if he does opt out, whomever has him gets high compensation for him. The bad thing is that if he doesn't opt out, he has 2 years and 24mm left. He's got a 5 ERA this year and has a long history of not going full seasons or lots of innings. In 7 years as a full time starter, he's got 2 seasons with 200 IP. Frankly, I'm not so sure Burnett is an improvement over Marquis/Gallagher enough to bounce that guy off the playoff rotation. And if the Cubs aren't getting a guy they know will be a post season calibre starter, then they are making a huge mistake.

Burnett would be cheaper than Sabathia - but the team that gets CC will be getting the far better player. If the goal is to win it all, it isn't close.

getonbckthr
06-15-2008, 12:20 PM
I think the Cubs really need a guy who can go more than 5 innings - but the good news about him is that if he does opt out, whomever has him gets high compensation for him. The bad thing is that if he doesn't opt out, he has 2 years and 24mm left. He's got a 5 ERA this year and has a long history of not going full seasons or lots of innings. In 7 years as a full time starter, he's got 2 seasons with 200 IP. Frankly, I'm not so sure Burnett is an improvement over Marquis/Gallagher enough to bounce that guy off the playoff rotation. And if the Cubs aren't getting a guy they know will be a post season calibre starter, then they are making a huge mistake.

Burnett would be cheaper than Sabathia - but the team that gets CC will be getting the far better player. If the goal is to win it all, it isn't close.
I would assume the order the CUbs look at trading chips would be:
CC (need to resign however)
Bedard (If Seatlle really makes him available)
Meche
Burnett

twentywontowin
06-15-2008, 12:24 PM
It seems like no matter how bad the Cubs track record is, they still are the favored team of the media, fans and players f almost every city. :scratch:

People love the underdog. The Cubs have been the underdog for 100 years. I don't see how people can't grasp this concept.

They're the team that everyone wants to win because of their history of losing, because you know the story behind it would be great. And even as White Sox fans, you have to admit that when they finally do win it all, it's probably going to be one of the biggest sports moments in at least half a century with everyone pulling for them.

That's the job of the media, to hype the story to read articles.

Simple business.

getonbckthr
06-15-2008, 12:26 PM
People love the underdog. The Cubs have been the underdog for 100 years. I don't see how people can't grasp this concept.

They're the team that everyone wants to win because of their history of losing, because you know the story behind it would be great. That's the job of the media, to hype the story to read articles.

Simple business.
Thats why many believe the day they win the World Series will in fact be the worst day for the Cub franchise. Then all of a sudden there is no mystique, there is no more curse, no more loveable loser syndrome. At that point they become like everyone else. The only day worse than that would be the last game at Wrigley.

dickallen15
06-15-2008, 12:53 PM
Thats why many believe the day they win the World Series will in fact be the worst day for the Cub franchise. Then all of a sudden there is no mystique, there is no more curse, no more loveable loser syndrome. At that point they become like everyone else. The only day worse than that would be the last game at Wrigley.
Many thought the same thing would happen when the Red Sox won. It didn't happen. As far as Burnett, a team signs him to a huge contract and now he publicly states how he would like to be on another team that was not willing to give him the same deal at the time. I find that wrong. Shut your mouth and pitch for the Blue Jays.

jabrch
06-15-2008, 01:08 PM
Meche
Burnett

I don't think they NEED to resign CC. He will be getting a ton of $ and they already have a lot of payroll in a few players. They could give up 3 top prospects for Sabathia, knowing they will get two draft picks in return and then make a run at it this year.

Outside of Vitters, their farm is loaded with questionable players.

pythons007
06-15-2008, 01:49 PM
Meche
Burnett

The Mariners GM would surely get fired if he ended up trading Bedard. They gave up the farm in the offseason to get this guy. NO WAY IN HELL HE WILL BE AVAILABLE!

As for the Cubs, I think the sky is the limit for their salary and any available pitcher that will be available the Cubs will be looking at him:
A.) The owner is trying to sell the team
B.) They haven't won a World Series in 100 years
C.) Cubs win the World Series that will surely drive the price of the team up

getonbckthr
06-15-2008, 01:52 PM
The Mariners GM would surely get fired if he ended up trading Bedard. They gave up the farm in the offseason to get this guy. NO WAY IN HELL HE WILL BE AVAILABLE!

As for the Cubs, I think the sky is the limit for their salary and any available pitcher that will be available the Cubs will be looking at him:
A.) The owner is trying to sell the team
B.) They haven't won a World Series in 100 years
C.) Cubs win the World Series that will surely drive the price of the team up
I just saw rumblings that he might be. I can't imagine the Mariners GM (Bavasi?) being there next season. It doesn't really matter how much salary is taken on by the Cubs this season a team will still buy them. All it might do is give Cuban a better chance at it as he is on record as saying he will do whatever and pay whatever to get them.

Dick Allen
06-15-2008, 02:40 PM
Sure, doesn't everybody want to play for the cubs?********!!!

06-15-2008, 02:42 PM
I don't think they NEED to resign CC. He will be getting a ton of $ and they already have a lot of payroll in a few players. They could give up 3 top prospects for Sabathia, knowing they will get two draft picks in return and then make a run at it this year.

Why would ownership care if CC is resigned? They are going to sell the franchise anyways.

The Critic
06-15-2008, 03:22 PM
Many thought the same thing would happen when the Red Sox won. It didn't happen. As far as Burnett, a team signs him to a huge contract and now he publicly states how he would like to be on another team that was not willing to give him the same deal at the time. I find that wrong. Shut your mouth and pitch for the Blue Jays.

The Cubs winning it all could only "hurt" if they didn't stay competitive. The Red Sox have been title contenders every year since 2004, and of course won it again last year. The Cubs lose that loveable loser mystique only if they win the Series and then immediately become losers again. Their fans wouldn't embrace them anymore, I think.
Then again, the Cub phenomenon defies logic, so who knows?

It's Time
06-15-2008, 08:48 PM
He is going to have his teammates pack his bags if he keeps this up. If I were the Jays, I'd trade his ass tomorrow. :o:

http://www.nationalpost.com/sports/story.html?id=590167

getonbckthr
06-15-2008, 08:58 PM
What sucks for Toronto and is good, if they choose that route, for the Cubs is that if your a team looking for pitching are you gonna put together an offer for Toronto knowing where he wishes to be? As far as the Cubs go what they need to give up probably went down. For Toronto their demands lowered.

jabrch
06-15-2008, 09:26 PM
Why would ownership care if CC is resigned? They are going to sell the franchise anyways.

Because value is a relative term....and if you just rent him for 3 months, and don't win it all, you have gotten the short end of the stick.

getonbckthr
06-15-2008, 09:30 PM
Because value is a relative term....and if you just rent him for 3 months, and don't win it all, you have gotten the short end of the stick.
Trading for and extending the contract of CC does 1 thing, it makes the odds of Cuban buying the Cubs greater. He will stop at nothing to get them, he said so.

FedEx227
06-15-2008, 09:59 PM
Trading for and extending the contract of CC does 1 thing, it makes the odds of Cuban buying the Cubs greater. He will stop at nothing to get them, he said so.

Cool, then when the owners vote and say "No" it won't mean a god damn thing.

getonbckthr
06-15-2008, 10:01 PM
Cool, then when the owners vote and say "No" it won't mean a god damn thing.
Ya but if he ends being the only one left they will let him in. If they vote "no" it can possibly get very ugly with lawsuits and such.

Jaffar
06-16-2008, 09:57 AM
Maybe they can get Burnett just in time for him to hit the DL and go on to lead the league in simulated wins.

jabrch
06-16-2008, 10:10 AM
Ya but if he ends being the only one left they will let him in. If they vote "no" it can possibly get very ugly with lawsuits and such.

I'm fairly sure the MLB Owners Agreement is fairly secure. When Sam Zell purchased the Trib and the Cubs, he was bound to a contract. He can sue anyone he wants - but that won't change things.

If Zell chose to engage in a protracted legal battle, he'd end up losing and delay being able to cash in on the Cubs and possibly the park for a while. There's no upside to him to try and fight MLB and their antitrust exemption.

spiffie
06-16-2008, 10:31 AM
Better he be traded to the Cubs than to the Tigers.

palehozenychicty
06-16-2008, 11:15 AM
Maybe they can get Burnett just in time for him to hit the DL and go on to lead the league in simulated wins.

Seriously.

chaerulez
06-16-2008, 11:18 AM
I also do not believe if they trade for CC they have to resign him. It depends how much they give up. If the mortage their entire farm system for CC, then yes it looks foolish if they don't lock him up. I imagine though, when it comes out down to it the Cubs won't enter a bidding war over CC for this reason. However if they were somehow to get CC with only giving up one top prospect and not multiple, I don't think their is any pressure for them to resign him, just win the World Series.

jabrch
06-16-2008, 11:49 AM
I also do not believe if they trade for CC they have to resign him. It depends how much they give up. If the mortage their entire farm system for CC, then yes it looks foolish if they don't lock him up. I imagine though, when it comes out down to it the Cubs won't enter a bidding war over CC for this reason. However if they were somehow to get CC with only giving up one top prospect and not multiple, I don't think their is any pressure for them to resign him, just win the World Series.

I can't see that happening. If the Indians don't trade him, they will get a pick between 16 and about 60 and then another between 30 and 45. Two high draft picks + CC for the stretch run should be worth more than just 1 prospect given what the Cubs have in their system right now. If there had a Jay Bruce type prospect, that would be different, but their best prospect is their #1 from last years draft (Vitters) and it drops significantly from there. Pie and Patterson have lost a ton of value. Same with the two Seans. Soto is not tradeable. They have some second tier pitching prospects - like Veal or Ceda - but not anything that will get them CC.

Jaffar
06-16-2008, 01:43 PM
I can't see that happening. If the Indians don't trade him, they will get a pick between 16 and about 60 and then another between 30 and 45. Two high draft picks + CC for the stretch run should be worth more than just 1 prospect given what the Cubs have in their system right now. If there had a Jay Bruce type prospect, that would be different, but their best prospect is their #1 from last years draft (Vitters) and it drops significantly from there. Pie and Patterson have lost a ton of value. Same with the two Seans. Soto is not tradeable. They have some second tier pitching prospects - like Veal or Ceda - but not anything that will get them CC.

Since the Roberts deal never happened they have all those prospects to trade for him. :redneck

SoxSpeed22
06-16-2008, 02:11 PM
The Tigers don't have the ammo to acquire another player after the Cabrera/Willis trade. Most of the Cubs' young players are already on the team, so their farm system does not look great. Most of the teams are playing their top prospects by now, so farm systems don't look as strong. They could get good pitchers with their current system.

jabrch
06-16-2008, 02:55 PM
The Tigers don't have the ammo to acquire another player after the Cabrera/Willis trade.

They can trade Porcello now. I'm sure he'd be sufficient if the Tigers were willing to part with him and pay the full amount of that contract that would have normally been considered signing bonus.

It's Dankerific
06-16-2008, 03:42 PM
I'm fairly sure the MLB Owners Agreement is fairly secure. When Sam Zell purchased the Trib and the Cubs, he was bound to a contract. He can sue anyone he wants - but that won't change things.

If Zell chose to engage in a protracted legal battle, he'd end up losing and delay being able to cash in on the Cubs and possibly the park for a while. There's no upside to him to try and fight MLB and their antitrust exemption.

Yeah, a billionaire like Zell can't make any waves in the court house or on capitol hill.

palehozenychicty
06-16-2008, 03:42 PM
They can trade Porcello now. I'm sure he'd be sufficient if the Tigers were willing to part with him and pay the full amount of that contract that would have normally been considered signing bonus.

They could, but that would be real crazy. I hope they do it. :cool:

RadioheadRocks
06-19-2008, 06:39 PM

They're the team that everyone wants to win because of their history of losing, because you know the story behind it would be great. And even as White Sox fans, you have to admit that when they finally do win it all, it's probably going to be one of the biggest sports moments in at least half a century with everyone pulling for them.

That's the job of the media, to hype the story to read articles.

Simple business.

Yeah, let's all cheer for a totally overexposed ****box team because the media tells us to. :rolleyes:

There's a reason we call them sheep.

Carolina Kenny
06-19-2008, 08:16 PM

Bingo