PDA

View Full Version : Brad Eldred

Lillian
06-15-2008, 07:58 AM
I was very impressed with this guy at Spring Training, and he is having another tremendous Minor League season at Charlotte. It's interesting to note that he is hitting almost exactly the same vs both Righties and Lefties.
His average is almost identical, and he's averaging a homer per 10 at bats against both. His 24 homers and 18 doubles in just 253 at bats give him a Slugging Percentage of .628.

Why not put Paulie on the DL, and call him up? He has always hit at the Minor League level, and is still young enough to have a future. He'll just turn 28 next month. He was injured and lost a lot of playing time in both 2006 and 2007, but he seems to be fine now.

btrain929
06-15-2008, 07:39 PM
At the beginning of the day, I think this wasn't even an option the Sox would consider. But while Paulie was in the game before today's game, he pulled something in his oblique. Now, you have to say it's definitely an option.

Craig Grebeck
06-15-2008, 08:19 PM
No thanks.

TomBradley72
06-15-2008, 08:20 PM
At the beginning of the day, I think this wasn't even an option the Sox would consider. But while Paulie was in the game before today's game, he pulled something in his oblique. Now, you have to say it's definitely an option.

I don't think it is. Swisher is a much better option than Eldred. And Anderson is a better option in CF than Swisher. So Swisher is out 1st Baseman until PK comes back. If PK goes on the DL...my guess is Ozzie will go for some speed off the bench, especially with games at the NL parks coming up.

Chilli Palmer
06-15-2008, 09:34 PM
No thanks.

Thanks for the contribution.

oeo
06-15-2008, 09:40 PM
Thanks for the contribution.

Eldred is a career minor leaguer. He's not very good.

No thanks.

DumpJerry
06-15-2008, 11:55 PM
Lillian, you posted this about six hours before Paulie hurt himself.

Did you put a hit on him?

munchman33
06-16-2008, 12:31 AM
No thanks.

I don't think it is. Swisher is a much better option than Eldred. And Anderson is a better option in CF than Swisher. So Swisher is out 1st Baseman until PK comes back. If PK goes on the DL...my guess is Ozzie will go for some speed off the bench, especially with games at the NL parks coming up.

Eldred is a career minor leaguer. He's not very good.

No thanks.

I'd be willing to bet he'd hit big league pitching better than BA would.

Daver
06-16-2008, 12:47 AM

And field what position?

You are making yourself look like a fool, it may be your best talent.

Lillian
06-16-2008, 06:44 AM
Lillian, you posted this about six hours before Paulie hurt himself.

Did you put a hit on him?

I was suggesting that Paulie be put on the DL for the hand injury. This just makes the argument stronger.

Lillian
06-16-2008, 08:15 AM
I've been watching his progress at Charlotte all season, through the daily box scores. I went back and took a look at the daily log of his performance.
Here are some interesting facts:

He hit 5 homers in April, 14 in May and 5 so far in June.
He has had just 2 multi-homer games, with 2 in each of them.
He has 16 homers in his last 36 games, which is a 72 homer season pace.

Conclusions:
He has been pretty consistent, as opposed to simply being in a hot streak.
He has improved since the first month of the season, and has been very consistent for the last 6 weeks.

Eldred is a very big, strong man. When I watched him in Spring Training he didn't seem to be swinging for the fences, but hit some balls a very long way.

I don't think that it's fair to call him a "career minor leaguer", which would be to suggest that he has had a long career in the minors, and had proven that he couldn't be successful in the Majors.
Remember, he was injured almost the entire year in 2006.
The year before, 2005, he hit 12 homers, and 9 doubles in just 190 at bats for the Pirates, and combined for 40 homers in just 469 at bats between AA, AAA, and the Majors.

In 2004 he hit 38 homers in 482 at bats between AA and AAA.
His Minor League batting averages were very respectable in those seasons:
.301 in 2004
.297 in 2005

As I mentioned in a previous post, his split stats are remarkably similar. This is not a guy who needs to be platooned.

He'll turn 28 next month, and is still young enough to have a future.
His defense is not considered a liability at 1st. He has even been playing some outfield, though none of us would ever want to see that!
Why not put him in the mix at 1st and DH? With Paulie on the DL, and Swisher and Thome struggling, it just seems reasonable to give Eldred a shot.
The best home run weather is here, and this team needs something to get it jump started.
Eldred would make a great story, wouldn't he?

TomBradley72
06-16-2008, 09:45 AM

I'll take that wager. Anderson is hitting .250 against major league pitching this year, Eldred (28 y.o. and still in AAA is not a good sign) is hitting .265 against AAA pitching. He'll never be called up...but if he is...you're on.

DumpJerry
06-16-2008, 11:23 AM
I was suggesting that Paulie be put on the DL for the hand injury. This just makes the argument stronger.
I know. I was just teasing you because of your timing for starting the thread.

Can you please start a thread titled "When will the Sox go on a 30 game winning streak?" I think it will do wonders for morale.

cws05champ
06-16-2008, 12:05 PM
I've been watching his progress at Charlotte all season, through the daily box scores. I went back and took a look at the daily log of his performance.
Here are some interesting facts:

He hit 5 homers in April, 14 in May and 5 so far in June.
He has had just 2 multi-homer games, with 2 in each of them.
He has 16 homers in his last 36 games, which is a 72 homer season pace.

Conclusions:
He has been pretty consistent, as opposed to simply being in a hot streak.
He has improved since the first month of the season, and has been very consistent for the last 6 weeks.

Eldred is a very big, strong man. When I watched him in Spring Training he didn't seem to be swinging for the fences, but hit some balls a very long way.

I don't think that it's fair to call him a "career minor leaguer", which would be to suggest that he has had a long career in the minors, and had proven that he couldn't be successful in the Majors.
Remember, he was injured almost the entire year in 2006.
The year before, 2005, he hit 12 homers, and 9 doubles in just 190 at bats for the Pirates, and combined for 40 homers in just 469 at bats between AA, AAA, and the Majors.

In 2004 he hit 38 homers in 482 at bats between AA and AAA.
His Minor League batting averages were very respectable in those seasons:
.301 in 2004
.297 in 2005

As I mentioned in a previous post, his split stats are remarkably similar. This is not a guy who needs to be platooned.

He'll turn 28 next month, and is still young enough to have a future.
His defense is not considered a liability at 1st. He has even been playing some outfield, though none of us would ever want to see that!
Why not put him in the mix at 1st and DH? With Paulie on the DL, and Swisher and Thome struggling, it just seems reasonable to give Eldred a shot.
The best home run weather is here, and this team needs something to get it jump started.
Eldred would make a great story, wouldn't he?
You make good points but fail to mention that he strikes out 4 times as much as he walks(76K in 257AB), he does not play good defense at 1st. He's your classic AAAA player...eats up AAA, not good enough for the majors.
He is another all or nothing type swinger which we do not need....I would rather Owens come up and see what he can do to spark the offense especially going into NL parks for interleague play.

munchman33
06-16-2008, 08:12 PM
And field what position?

You are making yourself look like a fool, it may be your best talent.

What the heck are you talking about, they're putting Konerko on the DL? :?:

munchman33
06-16-2008, 08:15 PM
I'll take that wager. Anderson is hitting .250 against major league pitching this year, Eldred (28 y.o. and still in AAA is not a good sign) is hitting .265 against AAA pitching. He'll never be called up...but if he is...you're on.

Are we just talking about batting average? Eldred could conceivably surpass BA in home runs in one game...

Daver
06-16-2008, 08:16 PM
What the heck are you talking about, they're putting Konerko on the DL? :?:

You put Eldred at first over Swisher?

I'm just damn glad you make absolutely no decisions for the White Sox.

Seriously.

munchman33
06-16-2008, 08:18 PM
You put Eldred at first over Swisher?

I'm just damn glad you make absolutely no decisions for the White Sox.

Seriously.

No, I'm leaving Swisher in center.

I could care less about BA's defense right now. We can't score runs. Are you going to argue that BA helps our offense more than Eldred? Or for that matter, anyone else in AAA?

There are probably pitchers in the minor leagues that can hit better than BA can.

Daver
06-16-2008, 08:21 PM
No, I'm leaving Swisher in center.

I could care less about BA's defense right now. We can't score runs. Are you going to argue that BA helps our offense more than Eldred? Or for that matter, anyone else in AAA?

There are probably pitchers in the minor leagues that can hit better than BA can.

BA has a higher batting average than Swisher, Thome, and Konerko right now, and Eldred strikes out at rate that rivals the league leaders, he's just what the Sox need.

Have you ever heard the term if you had a brain you could take it out and play with it?

munchman33
06-16-2008, 08:33 PM
BA has a higher batting average than Swisher, Thome, and Konerko right now, and Eldred strikes out at rate that rivals the league leaders, he's just what the Sox need.

Have you ever heard the term if you had a brain you could take it out and play with it?

He also has a .391 slugging percentage. He's also struck out in more that 20% of his at bats, striking out more than 4 times more often then he walks.

Yeah, he's the answer. If the question is "how can we make the offense worse?"

I don't mind if you hate me, but you don't have to do it while trying to defend such a listless offensive player.

doublem23
06-16-2008, 08:43 PM
Is Josh Fields ready to play? Because I'd rather see him.

munchman33
06-16-2008, 08:43 PM

Me too.

KRS1
06-16-2008, 08:53 PM

He's on the DL with a sore knee.

Sockinchisox
06-16-2008, 08:57 PM
He's on the DL with a sore knee.

Where'd you see that? He's active on Charlotte's roster and played yesterday.

jabrch
06-16-2008, 09:00 PM
This is the height of stupidity...although everytime I say that, someone manages to prove me wrong...

Brad Eldred? Ya all must be kidding me.

munchman33
06-16-2008, 09:11 PM
This is the height of stupidity...although everytime I say that, someone manages to prove me wrong...

Brad Eldred? Ya all must be kidding me.

Hey, it's slim pickin's down there. We have to call someone up, and he's having the best year down there.

I still say he's a better offensive player than Brian Anderson. Eldred might be one dimensional, but Brian has a zero dimensional offensive game.

Frater Perdurabo
06-16-2008, 09:48 PM
but Brian has a zero dimensional offensive game.

This is a zero dimensional argument. You now have zero dimensional credibility.

munchman33
06-16-2008, 10:05 PM

Care to qualify that? Either part? Seriously, I'd like to hear a reasonable arguement that either:

1.) Eldred has no power
2.) Brian Anderson can hit

Go ahead, I'm waiting. Any evidence at all that's he's been even an average MLB bat.

Still waiting.

*crickets*

Thought so.

Craig Grebeck
06-16-2008, 10:14 PM
Care to qualify that? Either part? Seriously, I'd like to hear a reasonable arguement that either:

1.) Eldred has no power

Go ahead, I'm waiting. Any evidence at all that's he's been even an average MLB bat.

Still waiting.

*crickets*

Thought so.

Good thing offense isn't everything. Anderson's an elite defensive CF, that gives him value Eldred couldn't hold a candle to.

munchman33
06-16-2008, 10:27 PM
Good thing offense isn't everything. Anderson's an elite defensive CF, that gives him value Eldred couldn't hold a candle to.

Just stop and listen to the argument. No one is saying that. We are talking about improving the offense. In what universe is a Swisher/Anderson OFFENSIVE combination greater than what a Swisher/Eldred OFFENSIVE combination? None. And that's what I'm arguing.

Craig Grebeck
06-16-2008, 10:42 PM
Just stop and listen to the argument. No one is saying that. We are talking about improving the offense. In what universe is a Swisher/Anderson OFFENSIVE combination greater than what a Swisher/Eldred OFFENSIVE combination? None. And that's what I'm arguing.
Ok. I could also say that the Anderson/Swisher defensive contribution makes up for the difference. It's not a gulf. Eldred is not Fields. He is not even Jack Cust -- hell, he's nowhere near Cust.

munchman33
06-16-2008, 10:47 PM
Ok. I could also say that the Anderson/Swisher defensive contribution makes up for the difference. It's not a gulf. Eldred is not Fields. He is not even Jack Cust -- hell, he's nowhere near Cust.

But we're not having a problem with giving up runs because of Swisher in center. Our pitching staff has been so good we could throw Thome in center and we still wouldn't give up many runs.

We're having a problem scoring runs. And now we're losing Konerko from the lineup. The argument is purely offense. And Eldred would be the call over BA. Granted, I'd take Fields over Eldred. But Fields is hurt.

jabrch
06-16-2008, 10:55 PM

HA HA HA....POTW!

Mr. White Sox
06-16-2008, 11:03 PM

To me, that's akin to putting Mackowiak in CF in 2006. Anderson (and his superior defense) rode the pine in favor of a guy who was supposed to be an offensive upgrade. Now, that's not to say that Eldred won't pull a Dunn and go crazy up here, but it's incredibly, unbelievably unlikely. I think upper-bound expectations are a .230-.240 avg with 10-12 HR in the 2nd half. Is that all that much better than Brian? Maybe over a full season with 550+ ABs, Eldred could somehow break out and go .250 with 30+ HR, but again, it's unlikely, and it's just as risky as sticking any other failed major leaguer with LTP out in the lineup.

I say just stick with what's working on the defensive end, use Swisher at 1B and, if necessary, stick Eldred there on occasion with Paulie out just to see what he can do.

jabrch
06-16-2008, 11:08 PM
I say just stick with what's working on the defensive end, use Swisher at 1B and, if necessary, stick Eldred there on occasion with Paulie out just to see what he can do.

Stick Eldred in the minors...and keep him there.

KRS1
06-16-2008, 11:12 PM
In what universe is a Swisher/Anderson OFFENSIVE combination greater than what a Swisher/Eldred OFFENSIVE combination? None. And that's what I'm arguing.

The universe where Brad has looked horrible in the majors, and the same one where the runs Brian takes away with his D are more beneficial than the occasional HR in between strikeouts every three AB's that Brad brings to the plate.

Lillian
06-16-2008, 11:14 PM
It has been interesting reading all of your posts. It does seem a little unfair to blithely reject Eldred as a "AAAA" player, or career minor leaguer, who couldn't hit Major League pitching.
He has only had a total of 236 Big League at bats over just two seasons.
Even then, while his average was pretty bad, it was better in 2005, before the thumb injury. I think that his struggles last year, in his limited 46 at bats, were attributable to his having missed almost the entire previous year, and his slow recovery from the injury. The rest of his Major League at bats were all in 2005, and they weren't that bad.

Look, the guy was considered the Pirates top power hitting prospect for a couple of years before the injury, from which he has now clearly recovered.
He had put up great numbers before his injury, and is on a pace to surpass them this year.

He may, or may not pan out, but his production is nothing to sneer at. 19 doubles, 24 homers, and 67 RBI's in less than half a season, while hitting .267 against both righties and lefties, is pretty impressive to me. He is also regarded as a decent fielding First baseman.

munchman33
06-16-2008, 11:21 PM
It has been interesting reading all of your posts. It does seem a little unfair to blithely reject Eldred as a "AAAA" player, or career minor leaguer, who couldn't hit Major League pitching.
He has only had a total of 236 Big League at bats over just two seasons.
Even then, while his average was pretty bad, it was better in 2005, before the thumb injury. I think that his struggles last year, in his limited 46 at bats, were attributable to his having missed almost the entire previous year, and his slow recovery from the injury. The rest of his Major League at bats were all in 2005, and they weren't that bad.

Look, the guy was considered the Pirates top power hitting prospect for a couple of years before the injury, from which he has now clearly recovered.
He had put up great numbers before his injury, and is on a pace to surpass them this year.

He may, or may not pan out, but his production is nothing to sneer at. 19 doubles, 24 homers, and 67 RBI's in less than half a season, while hitting .267 against both righties and lefties, is pretty impressive to me. He is also regarded as a decent fielding First baseman.

Don't bother, they aren't listening.

Daver
06-16-2008, 11:21 PM
He is also regarded as a decent fielding First baseman.

Decent compared to what?

He is better than a cardboard cutout of Frank Thomas, but the difference is marginal at best.

munchman33
06-16-2008, 11:23 PM
Decent compared to what?

He is better than a cardboard cutout of Frank Thomas, but the difference is marginal at best.

Good defense at first base is about as important as having a dominant 13th pitcher on your staff.

Frater Perdurabo
06-16-2008, 11:23 PM

1.) Eldred has no power

Still waiting.

*crickets*

Thought so.

Right now, BA has a higher batting average than PK, Thome and Swisher.

Right now, BA has a higher slugging percentage than PK and Swisher.

Right now, in less than half the ABs, BA has just two fewer doubles than PK and Swisher, and just three fewer than Thome.

Right now, he's hitting .250 on the year, .300 in the Sox last ten games and .333 in June. He also hit .300 in April. He had a bad May. Paulie, Swisher and Thome have had a bad season.

He's also so good with the glove that his CF defense prevents hitters from getting on base because he plays short and can turn some singles into outs, turns some balls that otherwise would be XBHs into singles and therefore prevents runs from scoring.

I have no problem promoting Brad Eldred as a backup 1B and DH/PH, but frankly, I think Swisher is a better option than Eldred at 1B. And putting Swisher at 1B allows you to upgrade the CF defense. And based on performance this year, putting BA in the lineup is an offensive upgrade, too.

Frater Perdurabo
06-16-2008, 11:27 PM
Sorry, munch. I'm going with Daver on this one.

If BA was hitting like he did during the first half of 2006, you'd have an argument. But not this year.

munchman33
06-16-2008, 11:27 PM

Right now, in less than half the ABs, BA has just two fewer doubles than PK and Swisher, and just three fewer than Thome.

Right now, he's hitting .250 on the year, .300 in the Sox last ten games and .333 in June. He also hit .300 in April. He had a bad May. Paulie, Swisher and Thome have had a bad season.

He's also so good with the glove that his CF defense prevents hitters from getting on base because he plays short and can turn some singles into outs, turns some balls that otherwise would be XBHs into singles and therefore prevents runs from scoring.

I have no problem promoting Brad Eldred as a backup 1B and DH/PH, but frankly, I think Swisher is a better option than Eldred at 1B. And putting Swisher at 1B allows you to upgrade the CF defense. And based on performance this year, putting BA in the lineup is an offensive upgrade, too.

And BA, terrible as he has been, has been overperforming compared to his career norms. Whereas the other guys are performing well below their career norms. I'm not the world's biggest Swisher fan, but he's shown flashes lately that are way above anything BA could provide.

The only way BA is hitting .250 for the year is if he gets sent down now.

munchman33
06-16-2008, 11:28 PM
Sorry, munch. I'm going with Daver on this one.

If BA was hitting like he did during the first half of 2006, you'd have an argument. But not this year.

He's hitting .250 with no power...

Lillian
06-17-2008, 12:00 AM
Decent compared to what?

He has a Minor League career fielding percentage of .991 at First.
He is not a bad fielding first baseman. On what are you basing your opinion?

jabrch
06-17-2008, 12:14 AM
Wasserman had something like a 0.00 ERA in 13 appearances before being called up - and got shelled.

Brad Eldred is less appropriate to be on a major league roster than Wasserman.

KRS1
06-17-2008, 12:17 AM

Judging a player's fielding ability by his fielding percentage is like judging a meal based on it's picture. It doesn't tell you the balls that the average fielder would get to that he didn't, or the ball that he didn't pick on bad throws. There are things you have to see/experience in person in order to judge, and fielding ability is one of those things.

munchman33
06-17-2008, 12:18 AM
Wasserman had something like a 0.00 ERA in 13 appearances before being called up - and got shelled.

Brad Eldred is less appropriate to be on a major league roster than Wasserman.

http://people.mozilla.com/~schrep/ApplesAndOranges.jpg

TomBradley72
06-17-2008, 12:22 AM

Thank you for posting this. About 90% of the negative assessments of BA are based on 2006-2007, he deserved to go into the doghouse for those 2 years, but he's obviously turned the corner. Still has some holes in his swing, etc....but he's played well this year and is improving and learning as you'd expect from a young player

I also think there have been some pretty good points to not dismiss Eldred entirely and if PK was out for the season...calling him up might make sense. But for a 15 day trip to the DL (if it happens), I'd rather add some speed off the bench (w/games at NL parks coming up) more than another slow footed slugger. I don't see how in that two week period Eldred is a better option for us than the Anderson in CF/Swisher at 1B combination.

Lillian
06-17-2008, 06:46 AM
Judging a player's fielding ability by his fielding percentage is like judging a meal based on it's picture. It doesn't tell you the balls that the average fielder would get to that he didn't, or the ball that he didn't pick on bad throws. There are things you have to see/experience in person in order to judge, and fielding ability is one of those things.

Of course you're right about needing to see a guy play. I did have that opportunity during the 3 weeks I spent in Tucson. He didn't display any glaring deficiencies. Have you seen him play much?

Frater Perdurabo
06-17-2008, 07:37 AM
And BA, terrible as he has been, has been overperforming compared to his career norms. Whereas the other guys are performing well below their career norms. I'm not the world's biggest Swisher fan, but he's shown flashes lately that are way above anything BA could provide.

The only way BA is hitting .250 for the year is if he gets sent down now.

Career norms? BA just had his 500th MLB at bat!

His "career norm" is heavily influenced by his bad first full season. He's on an upward trend.

I think you simply despise BA and never want to see him even have an opportunity to succeed with the Sox.

Some fan you are.

BigPapaPump
06-17-2008, 08:32 AM
Career norms? BA just had his 500th MLB at bat!

His "career norm" is heavily influenced by his bad first full season. He's on an upward trend.

I think you simply despise BA and never want to see him even have an opportunity to succeed with the Sox.

Some fan you are.

I agree. BA now and Ba of 2006 are completely different people not only because he is swinging the bat better, but he has also matured alot as a person and teammate.

Craig Grebeck
06-17-2008, 09:01 AM
So what is he doing so well down there? He has an 18/77 BB/K ratio. That's horrendous in such a bad league.

btrain929
06-17-2008, 09:15 AM
Good defense at first base is about as important as having a dominant 13th pitcher on your staff.

Thank you. You guys are acting like Eldred would be playing CF. Miguel Cabrera and Victor Martinez are examples of players that play below average defense at their regular position, have stepped in at 1B, and do a decent job.

What's the worst that can happen? He comes up for 2 weeks and either dominates and gives us an offensive spark, or he sucks (like Konerko probably would have done) and he goes back down. Eldred, Swisher, and BA can all rotate between 1B, CF, and the bench of course no Eldred in CF, but you know what I mean), giving them all good playing time as well as rest/days off/good hitter to come off the bench.

Every one else down there is either sucking or hurting. He's having a great year. Give him a shot.

oeo
06-17-2008, 09:22 AM
Thank you. You guys are acting like Eldred would be playing CF. Miguel Cabrera and Victor Martinez are examples of players that play below average defense at their regular position, have stepped in at 1B, and do a decent job.

What's the worst that can happen? He comes up for 2 weeks and either dominates and gives us an offensive spark, or he sucks (like Konerko probably would have done) and he goes back down. Eldred, Swisher, and BA can all rotate between 1B, CF, and the bench of course no Eldred in CF, but you know what I mean), giving them all good playing time as well as rest/days off/good hitter to come off the bench.

Every one else down there is either sucking or hurting. He's having a great year. Give him a shot.

Not only will Eldred come in with bad defense, when we have a good defender at 1B in Swisher, he would come in with a bad bat. Where are we going to put his fat ass in the lineup?

I thought we wanted to shy away from homerun or nothing...this guy is the epitome of homerun or nothing. He is not good, he never will be.

I hope we get a farm system in the next couple years, so we can stop hearing about how a 28-year-old minor league journeyman can help jumpstart the team. If Eldred was worth a damn, he wouldn't be in the Sox system this year.

btrain929
06-17-2008, 09:55 AM
Not only will Eldred come in with bad defense, when we have a good defender at 1B in Swisher, he would come in with a bad bat. Where are we going to put his fat ass in the lineup?

I thought we wanted to shy away from homerun or nothing...this guy is the epitome of homerun or nothing. He is not good, he never will be.

I hope we get a farm system in the next couple years, so we can stop hearing about how a 28-year-old minor league journeyman can help jumpstart the team. If Eldred was worth a damn, he wouldn't be in the Sox system this year.

Bad defense at SS is scary. Bad defense at 1B is not that bad, just because of the limited chances he'll get during a game. I'm not saying he can definitely help the team, but with Konerko going down, and him doing his job offensively down in Charlotte. Is giving him a week or two to see if anything has clicked with him and see if we can get a hot streak out of him that bad of an idea?

TomBradley72
06-17-2008, 10:29 AM
Bad defense at SS is scary. Bad defense at 1B is not that bad, just because of the limited chances he'll get during a game. I'm not saying he can definitely help the team, but with Konerko going down, and him doing his job offensively down in Charlotte. Is giving him a week or two to see if anything has clicked with him and see if we can get a hot streak out of him that bad of an idea?

I think it is a bad idea. I don't want him playing in any of the 6 Cubs games, too much pressure for a AAA player. I don't want him playing at Los Angeles because I would want BA in CF at Dodger Stadium. Then PK comes off the DL in time for the Cleveland series.

Some speed off the bench is a better use of the roster spot for the next two weeks.

Craig Grebeck
06-17-2008, 10:44 AM
We really don't have any good options in Charlotte speed-wise. Owens has been horrible on the basepaths this season.

jabrch
06-17-2008, 10:54 AM
I just can't believe there is any support for bringing Brad Eldred up. I'd rather bring Julio Franco back.

Tragg
06-17-2008, 11:18 AM
Bring Richar up and dump Uribe or Ozuna. Play BA in Center
Forget Eldred - he's an organizational minor leaguer.

Malgar 12
06-17-2008, 11:38 AM

I saw him a couple of years ago in Altoona. He is a horrible first baseman. No range, hands made out of stone, and no ability to dig bad throws out of the dirt.

btrain929
06-17-2008, 11:49 AM
Bring Richar up and dump Uribe or Ozuna. Play BA in Center
Forget Eldred - he's an organizational minor leaguer.

He hasn't had any serious playing time in the bigs since '05, so you don't know that to be 100% true. It IS possible that players improve while in the minors and can turn out to be serviceable. Eldred has improved on all of his stats from last year.

Now he may be brought up and might suck, batting .090 with 2 hrs and 20 K's, but I think with his offensive numbers in AAA, he at least deserves a look if Konerko goes on the DL. Worst case scenario, he sucks, he goes back to AAA, and it's confirmed that he's a AAAA player or an organizational minor leaguer. It's not like he's going to be stealing anyone's playing time: Konerko is probably (should) head for the DL, Quentin has hand issues, and we can always do defensive replacements at the end of the game putting BA in CF and Swish at 1B.

I still haven't heard a reason why he doesn't deserve a look for a week or 2.

Lillian
06-17-2008, 01:50 PM
The hyperbole here is sometimes ridiculous. One person says that a 27 year old player, second in the league in slugging percentage, is worthless and too old to be anything but a journeyman minor leaguer. Yet the same people will argue that another 27 year old hitting .259, with no extra base hit capability is a good candidate to be brought up for his speed, when he has been caught 10 out of 27 attempts, playing in the very same league.
Either the League is so bad that you can't really evaluate a player at all, or the performance is at least somewhat indicative of their ability. But here, we want to dismiss one guy's production because it's only AAA. Then someone else asserts that another player is great, even though his production is horrible, even in the same bad league. Which is it?

It seems a lot of people overstate their case in these discussions. Lots of arguments have merit here, but they lack a little credibility with such strong statements, regarding questions of such great subjectivity.

Isn't it possible that someone else's opinion might have merit? Jeesh!!!!

jabrch
06-17-2008, 02:20 PM

That depends largely on what someone else's opinion is.

DSpivack
06-17-2008, 02:21 PM
The hyperbole here is sometimes ridiculous. One person says that a 27 year old player, second in the league in slugging percentage, is worthless and too old to be anything but a journeyman minor leaguer. Yet the same people will argue that another 27 year old hitting .259, with no extra base hit capability is a good candidate to be brought up for his speed, when he has been caught 10 out of 27 attempts, playing in the very same league.
Either the League is so bad that you can't really evaluate a player at all, or the performance is at least somewhat indicative of their ability. But here, we want to dismiss one guy's production because it's only AAA. Then someone else asserts that another player is great, even though his production is horrible, even in the same bad league. Which is it?

It seems a lot of people overstate their case in these discussions. Lots of arguments have merit here, but they lack a little credibility with such strong statements, regarding questions of such great subjectivity.

Or this a third, more likely possibility: Both of them suck and neither warrants a call-up. Dewayne Wise was just called up.