PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Sox Throw Rox & Come Back to Win 5-4 Thread

Frater Perdurabo
06-13-2008, 10:39 PM
How about that home cooking! 4-0 so far in interleague play!

BA and Cabrera with solo shots! Uribe comes through in the clutch!

Too bad for Floyd: 4 hits, 4 solo homers. Good job by the pen, even though Pods made it interesting.

Bottom line: Sox win!

:)

mealfred13
Oh dear god. Nearly soiled myself at the end there. Great comeback!

CubsfansareDRUNK
:bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance: SOX WIN!!!

DickAllen72
06-13-2008, 10:41 PM
Uribe comes through big in his triumphant return to the starting lineup as the Sox eek out a close win against NL celler dweller Rockies! :bandance::bandance::bandance:

hawkjt
No 4 game losing streaks!! Nice job,Juan and Bobby.

Mohoney
If this bullpen stays healthy, nobody in the AL Central can touch us.

HomeFish
06-13-2008, 10:42 PM
This is a game the 2007 White Sox lose.

HomeFish
06-13-2008, 10:43 PM
If this bullpen stays healthy, nobody in the AL Central can touch us.

Minnesota goes double digits in Milwaukee tonight.

Frater Perdurabo
06-13-2008, 10:43 PM
This is a game the 2007 White Sox lose.

I think this is the most positive thing you've ever written! :D:

FielderJones
06-13-2008, 10:44 PM
Yet another game where the Sox trail in the 7th and come back to win! Some clutch 2-out hitting from Uribe. :gulp:

voodoochile
Nice ugly little win,,,

:winner

:supernana:

:)

whitesox901
caught the bottem 8th and on, but the ending made me nervious, but what hellova comeback, sox win! :D:

**** YOU DETROIT!, **** YOU MINNESOTA!

Madscout
And remain 6 games behind our sox.

Mohoney
06-13-2008, 10:45 PM

And gained nothing in the standings for their efforts. I stick by what I said.

Frankfan4life
This feels good!! We really needed this win today. But, a series win would feel even better. The Sox need to start clicking on all cylinders again.

Railsplitter
By winning, the Sox have once again made it safe for dancing fruit. :bandance:

Carolina Kenny
06-13-2008, 10:46 PM
the alc is due to destroy the nl.

this game never seemed out of doubt. the roky's are just not a good club.

UofCSoxFan
06-13-2008, 10:46 PM
Sox prove the old addage that solo home runs don't beat you.

TDog
06-13-2008, 10:48 PM
Leave it to a team that scores four runs on four solo homers to leave the tying run on third with a strikeout to end the game.

The Sox played a pretty good game tonight. I saw the Gamecast replay of the game-winning hit, and it would have been truly tough luck if that had been turned into an inning-ending out. Pierzyinski nailed that pitch. Without that run, th Sox instead would have come up with a thrilling bottom-of-the-ninth win.

The Sox tonight had one inning with scoring opportunities and capitalized, although Anderson and Quentin failed to get hits with runners in scoring position. Scoring with the bases loaded and one out is not automatic by any means.

Great win. You wouldn't know it from the game thread, but it was a great win. I never had any doubt.

PeteWard
06-13-2008, 10:48 PM
Is Thome hurt or just being rested?

Rdy2PlayBall
06-13-2008, 10:50 PM
Sox win! 5 runs is a lot better than 1! 5 is a good number, I'm good with that. XD

------------------------------------

Minnesota KILLED the Brewers... Maybe the NL (NL central) needs to face some more AL Central teams huh? :P Can't wait to see the Sox play the Cubs! :D

Mohoney
06-13-2008, 10:51 PM

2 LH starters in a row is a good excuse to get him a couple days off. Good move by Ozzie, IMO.

cheezheadsoxfan
06-13-2008, 10:51 PM
Leave it to a team that scores four runs on four solo homers to leave the tying run on third with a strikeout to end the game.

The Sox played a pretty good game tonight. I saw the Gamecast replay of the game-winning hit, and it would have been truly tough luck if that had been turned into an inning-ending out. Pierzyinski nailed that pitch. Without that run, th Sox instead would have come up with a thrilling bottom-of-the-ninth win.

The Sox tonight had one inning with scoring opportunities and capitalized, although Anderson and Quentin failed to get hits with runners in scoring position. Scoring with the bases loaded and one out is not automatic by any means.

Great win. You wouldn't know it from the game thread, but it was a great win. I never had any doubt.

Come from behind is always great. I'm even happy for Uribe. :D:

TDog
06-13-2008, 10:52 PM

Does that mean their win will count double in the standings?

Not that you are a reliable source. In the game thread, you had the Sox losing three games this weekend tonight.

Soxman219
06-13-2008, 10:54 PM

Don't worry, Minnesota won't score more than 3 runs for the rest of the series. They are known for that.

Looks like Friday the 13th is lucky for the Sox. Thank god we have a fantastic bullpen. Uribe comes in the clutch. Great win and let's win the series tomorrow.:bandance:

delben91
06-13-2008, 10:57 PM
Sox got the W, and that's all that matters. Do it again tomorrow boys.

GO SOX

hawkjt
06-13-2008, 10:57 PM
Ozzie said Thome was ''stiff'' ... and he may sit him again tomorrow. I hope he is careful with any back problems. He could still have a big second half if he is healthy.

ohthosechisox
06-13-2008, 10:58 PM

Ozzie said in the post game that he was a little sore, but he could be available tomorrow.

Great win tonight! I'm happy for Uribe.

DickAllen72
06-13-2008, 10:59 PM
Both. Ozzie said Thome has a stiff back and might not play tomorrow either. Said it wasn't serious though.

whitesox901
06-13-2008, 11:03 PM
Both. Ozzie said Thome has a stiff back and might not play tomorrow either. Said it wasn't serious though.

better sit, better safe than sorry

veeter
06-13-2008, 11:16 PM
I'm happy for Juan, because he's no where near as bad as some people make him out to be. He saved our bacon against the Orioles, in that suspeded game, and he really came through tonight. And the bullpen is simply nasty.

MCHSoxFan
06-13-2008, 11:16 PM
Sox Win On My Birthday!!! I Went Outside To Watch The Fireworks Show. Man! It Was Great! IMO, BEST Game In 2008. If We Win Tomorrow, We WILL Sweep. I Mean, C'mon! We Got Jose Sunday! :D:

Lip Man 1
06-13-2008, 11:23 PM
Nice come from behind win.

For the 5th time this season the Sox win when trailing going into the 7th inning or later and in each time they took the lead in the 7th inning.

Lucky number seven...

They found a way to get it done despite only getting six hits and that's all that counts.

Also this game is a textbook example of how much a team needs a good bullpen. Colorado had a lead, the pen couldn't hold it...Sox got the lead, they did.

Lip

JB98
06-13-2008, 11:24 PM
The American League is 7-2 so far tonight in Interleague play.

It's very important that the Sox continue to do well against National League clubs, because odds are our competition will do well.

HomeFish
06-13-2008, 11:26 PM
Also this game is a textbook example of how much a team needs a good bullpen. Colorado had a lead, the pen couldn't hold it...Sox got the lead, they did.

The second guy they put in there threw the ball well. If he came into the 7th first the Rox probably win tonight.

Lip Man 1
06-13-2008, 11:35 PM
Which doesn't change the point that Colorado's "bullpen" pissed away the lead, while the Sox bullpen HELD the lead.

:rolleyes:

Lip

JB98
06-13-2008, 11:36 PM
Which doesn't change the point that Colorado's "bullpen" pissed away the lead, while the Sox bullpen HELD the lead.

:rolleyes:

Lip

I'm pretty sure Pierzynski is glad to get the game-winning hit off Herges. For it was Tomko and Herges who tried to ruin AJ's career in San Francisco.

Herges sucks.

voodoochile
06-13-2008, 11:41 PM
The second guy they put in there threw the ball well. If he came into the 7th first the Rox probably win tonight.

Yeah and if my uncle had boobs he'd be my aunt...

TomBradley72
06-13-2008, 11:59 PM
Nice to see BA with the HR and within a foot or two of a clutch hit down the 1B line.

Mohoney
06-14-2008, 12:02 AM

If Lip is rolling HIS eyes at your negativity, that's a pretty serious indictment.

russ99
06-14-2008, 12:19 AM
Just got back. Awesome, awesome game. Best one I've been to since the Red Sox extra inning affair in '06.

I don't think I've ever seen a Sox starter allow only 4 hits and have all of them be homers.

The comeback was sweet, especially Juan coming through in the clutch after a gutty at-bat. He certainly has a place on this team, though I'm still inclined to see Alexei get the majority of the playing time.

A.J. getting the lead run in on a iffy play against his old smear-mate in S.F. - sweet justice.

I said it before, I'll say it again, Scott Linebrink is epic. Worth every penny.

Which brings me to the top of the ninth. To all you classless jerks that booed Pods, thanks. Hopefully tomorrow's crowd will be more mindful of what he did for us in '05 and to a lesser extent in '06 and '07.

I have to say it was quite unnerving for me, a huge Pods fan, to see Pods work his way into a Sox pitcher's head like he did for us so many times. (even though he was really out on one of the pickoffs) I'm glad that Scott got his SB vindication without affecting the final outcome. Best of luck in the future, dude, but I gotta cheer against you now.

End result, Sox win and fireworks for everyone! :D:

johnnyg83
06-14-2008, 12:26 AM
Man, I didn't hear the booing. That's so disappointing. Why would you boo him? Cleveland and Thome I understand (but in no way condone for all he did for that franchise) Seattle and ARod I understand. Drew in Philadelphia I understand.

WE CUT PODS! We did. It was our choice. Damn. I'm disappointed to hear that.

PeteWard
06-14-2008, 12:34 AM
Just got back. Awesome, awesome game. Best one I've been to since the Red Sox extra inning affair in '06.

I don't think I've ever seen a Sox starter allow only 4 hits and have all of them be homers.

The comeback was sweet, especially Juan coming through in the clutch after a gutty at-bat. He certainly has a place on this team, though I'm still inclined to see Alexei get the majority of the playing time.

A.J. getting the lead run in on a iffy play against his old smear-mate in S.F. - sweet justice.

I said it before, I'll say it again, Scott Linebrink is epic. Worth every penny.

Which brings me to the top of the ninth. To all you classless jerks that booed Pods, thanks. Hopefully tomorrow's crowd will be more mindful of what he did for us in '05 and to a lesser extent in '06 and '07.

I have to say it was quite unnerving for me, a huge Pods fan, to see Pods work his way into a Sox pitcher's head like he did for us so many times. (even though he was really out on one of the pickoffs) I'm glad that Scott got his SB vindication without affecting the final outcome. Best of luck in the future, dude, but I gotta cheer against you now.

End result, Sox win and fireworks for everyone! :D:

How was that "iffy"? Cabrera was in there by a mile.

PeteWard
06-14-2008, 12:35 AM
Man, I didn't hear the booing. That's so disappointing. Why would you boo him? Cleveland and Thome I understand (but in no way condone for all he did for that franchise) Seattle and ARod I understand. Drew in Philadelphia I understand.

On the broadcast all I heard were cheers.

ArkanSox
06-14-2008, 12:37 AM
Great comeback, solid pen, Juanderful job, big win.

My pig Latino isn't very good, but I'm pretty sure that Ozzie called Jim Thome a stiff in his post game interview. :devil:

ArkanSox

chisoxfanatic
06-14-2008, 12:50 AM
Believe me, I heard enough boos for him to disgust me. It was not right. The guy was all class and had some of the hugest moments in Sox history.

I didn't expect Uribe to do what he did in getting that clutch hit to put us ahead for good. It seems that, when you'd least expect it, he comes through in the clutch! Good for him, and good for the Sox getting another come-from-behind win, Jenks holding it down at the end.

btrain929
06-14-2008, 12:55 AM
Believe me, I heard enough boos for him to disgust me. It was not right. The guy was all class and had some of the hugest moments in Sox history.

I didn't expect Uribe to do what he did in getting that clutch hit to put us ahead for good. It seems that, when you'd least expect it, he comes through in the clutch! Good for him, and good for the Sox getting another come-from-behind win, Jenks holding it down at the end.

I was there, and I agree. I wanted to throw my drink at some people 1 section over that were booing their heads off. I think the overall timing and usage of Pods there kind of threw us off, and it was hard to respond. I obviously cheered loud for him, but were in a 1-run game, bottom 9, 2 outs, and he's pinch running. He was representing the only threat to us to mess up this win. I think if he was leading off a game from the beginning, the results would have been different.

Either way, like I said, I cheered him, and he definitely deserved it.

Nellie_Fox
06-14-2008, 12:56 AM
The second guy they put in there threw the ball well. If he came into the 7th first the Rox probably win tonight.And if a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his ass when he jumped.

You just couldn't let it go with a positive post, could you?

06-14-2008, 01:13 AM
And if a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his ass when he jumped.

You just couldn't let it go with a positive post, could you?

You're just fueling his fire...

WagMan
06-14-2008, 01:31 AM
I, too, was rather disappointed to hear all the booing for Pods when he entered the game. I was the only in in our section (520) who was cheering for him. How close was he to being tagged out on one of the throw overs? Obviously couldn't catch any replays while at the game.

Overall, great game to be at. It was mentioned before, but I've never been to a game where every hit we gave up was a home run and nothing else. :scratch: But, I'll take it!

The Milkman
06-14-2008, 01:37 AM
1. How often is Uribe going to play...obviously, Alexei is a better option. Do we keep Uribe as Ozuna's 2nd rate clone? That doesn't seem like a good fit even though i'm sure we couldn't get a bucket of fungo bats for him.
2. I think if Pods comes into the game in a different situation, I think the ovation is completely different. That basehit in the 9th took the life out of the crowd and I think everyone was a little on edge. If he gets a starting nod or gets to the plate, I think the ovation is 93% positive.

Thoughts?

TheOldRoman
06-14-2008, 01:39 AM
I was there, and I agree. I wanted to throw my drink at some people 1 section over that were booing their heads off. I think the overall timing and usage of Pods there kind of threw us off, and it was hard to respond. I obviously cheered loud for him, but were in a 1-run game, bottom 9, 2 outs, and he's pinch running. He was representing the only threat to us to mess up this win. I think if he was leading off a game from the beginning, the results would have been different.

Either way, like I said, I cheered him, and he definitely deserved it.You are right, it was a weird situation. It was unexpected, they announced casually that he was pinch running, and nobody expected it. I jumped up and cheered loudly, and the people around me cheered pretty loudly, too. I didn't hear any boos myself.

But it was a weird situation. I'm sure he will start one of the games this series, and I'm sure the Sox have a tribute video for him. However, with him as a PR, they can't stop the game and roll it in the middle of an inning. I know that if he came up to bat, he would have gotten a much louder cheer. My GF was upset about the situation. Here was a player she loved, and she couldn't root against him, but couldn't root against the Sox, either. I am just glad Bobby got the last out.

gobears1987
06-14-2008, 01:56 AM
Floyd didn't pitch a bad game, the ball was just flying out of there.

gobears1987
06-14-2008, 02:02 AM

You were at the game so you didn't see the replay, but Pods was safe. I thought he was out at first, but he wasn't. The throw beat Pods, but it was slightly off the mark so Swisher had to sweep to his right and by the time Swisher made contact with Pods, he was back at 1st.

gobears1987
06-14-2008, 02:03 AM
I heard cheers too. I heard the cheers when they put him in before they showed it on TV. I knew instantly that they must have put Pods in.

jabrch
06-14-2008, 02:04 AM
Floyd didn't pitch a bad game, the ball was just flying out of there.

4 hits...none of them stayed in the park. That's not a bad game - but it is concerning. As the weather heats up, we will score more. We also may give up more. But you won't win many games if your SP gives up 4 HRs.

That said, Floyd looked decent. The ball was just jumping today.

DumpJerry
06-14-2008, 02:27 AM
This means nothing. The previous night, Minnesota lost 12-2.

But why should facts get in the way of a good Dark Cloud?

The Immigrant
06-14-2008, 07:46 AM
That said, Floyd looked decent. The ball was just jumping today.

He lost his release point in the inning in which he gave up two runs. He just couldn't locate any of his pitches and was relying too much on his fastball, which he was leaving up. He was lucky too, because Quintanilla's ball was caught three feet in front of the fence in left. The other two HRs were mistakes by Floyd - he left a meatball over to plate the Stewart the first time, and Howpe jumped all over a hanging breaking ball that was waist high and center plate. Young pitchers will do that.

Having said all that, he pitched well enough to get the win and his walk/strikeout ratio remains stellar. I look forward to watching his next start.

Ava83
06-14-2008, 08:47 AM
I'm pretty sure Pierzynski is glad to get the game-winning hit off Herges. For it was Tomko and Herges who tried to ruin AJ's career in San Francisco

I was at the game and AJ when he crossed first did this happy fist dance thing...He was fired up. That was great!

I did not hear anyone booing for Pods and I was in (as always when I go) in section 113...hmm

You all know if I recall correctly all three games I have gone to have been come from behind deals?

But it was a great game and the weather was PERFECT

KyWhiSoxFan
06-14-2008, 10:13 AM

I would be more concerned about Detroit than Minnesota, if what you're implying is Minny is the threat. Detroit will eventually get its act together and make a run.

It's Time
06-14-2008, 11:00 AM
Need to sweep this team right out of town. I am still miffed by all the boo birds for Pods, considering how huge he was in bringing a series title to town.

TomBradley72
06-14-2008, 11:55 AM
I wouldn't mine seeing Pods as a mid season pick up..assuming we wouldn't have to give up much to get him. It would be great to have a "disruptive' guy like him coming off the bench.

Tragg
06-14-2008, 12:10 PM
Podesednik hasn't done anything to deserve a booing.
I'm not much of a fan of using serious resources for midseason pickups, but how could Podsednik cost anymore than Iguchi (and that cost was a lowly regarded pospect) as a midseason pickup?

MarySwiss
06-14-2008, 12:23 PM
Need to sweep this team right out of town. I am still miffed by all the boo birds for Pods, considering how huge he was in bringing a series title to town.

I couldn't make out any booing, but I was watching the MLB.TV feed. I was really surprised to hear that he was booed, and I have to believe it was some casual fans. I was at the game when Frank came back in 2006, and the ovations brought tears to my eyes--although he didn't have to hit two home runs!

The game's on regular TV out here today, and I'm hoping Pods cracks the starting lineup, so I can see the reception he gets. I'm sure Sox fans will be loud. :smile:

GlassSox
06-14-2008, 12:38 PM
We were in 538 when Pods came in and there were cheers from our area and I did not hear any boos. Boos obviously were not very classy and not deserved by Pods. :scratch:

We will be there again tonight and if/when Pods plays he will get our applause. :cool:

Good game and thanks Juan.

TDog
06-14-2008, 01:41 PM
Podesednik hasn't done anything to deserve a booing. ...

He doesn't deserve a video tribute when he comes up to bat, either.

Scott Podsednik was an important part of the 2005 team, but he isn't coming back to the Sox.

HomeFish
06-14-2008, 01:49 PM

Who was suggesting that?

I'll be at the game tonight and I'll clap when Podsednik is introduced and when he comes to bat for the first time. I did the same for Miguel Olivo when he came here with KC.

DumpJerry
06-14-2008, 02:03 PM

Scott Podsednik was an important part of the 2005 team, but he isn't coming back to the Sox.
Why not? Big Frank got one and there is virtually no chance of him returning to the team as a player.

A lot of us have great memories of what Pods did for us in 2005. Granted, if you look at quantity, Frank has him beat big time.

turners56
06-14-2008, 02:15 PM
I thought this game was lost after the 6th. Good ol' Juan Uribe...
Maybe Juan was lurking these forums and heard me along with many other members say that if the White Sox acquire a leadoff hitter in the outfield, he would be the one to go instead of Anderson. Motivation Juan, MOTIVATION!

JUAN URIBE = SEMI-USEFUL. :)

MarySwiss
06-14-2008, 02:15 PM
Why not? Big Frank got one and there is virtually no chance of him returning to the team as a player.

A lot of us have great memories of what Pods did for us in 2005. Granted, if you look at quantity, Frank has him beat big time.

Besides, I for one appreciate any opportunity we have of reliving any part of 2005. That's why I replay my DVDs so much. And I know I'm not the only one. :cool:

ChiSoxGirl
06-14-2008, 02:57 PM

I was in 115 and there were nothing but boos for Pods when he was announced as the pinch-runner and I was really disappointed. But not from me... I cheered him loudly and gave him the love he deserved. Maybe it would've been different if he would've been in the starting lineup. :shrug:

Side note: I waited 'til last night to debut my game-worn Podsednik jersey from the Sox Garage Sale at SoxFest. :wink:

MCHSoxFan
06-14-2008, 02:58 PM
Besides, I for one appreciate any opportunity we have of reliving any part of 2005. That's why I replay my DVDs so much. And I know I'm not the only one. :cool:

True. I watch Sox Pride sooo often!

TDog
06-14-2008, 03:09 PM
Who was suggesting that?

I'll be at the game tonight and I'll clap when Podsednik is introduced and when he comes to bat for the first time. I did the same for Miguel Olivo when he came here with KC.

One would think you clapped when Carlos Gomez came up against the Sox last week. But I digress.

The suggestion was from TheOldRoman. I thought it was a silly suggestion. The Frank Thomas tribute was one thing. The man was the face of the White Sox franchise for a period of its history that included building up to the 1993 team and rebuilding to the 2000 team, both of which were built around his bat. Scott Podsednik played three seasons for the Sox. He was a catalyst for the offense in 2005, but his next two seasons were forgettable.

In baseball, players move around. They always have. Jon Garland did more for the Sox in his career than Podsednik, and I don't believe he justifies a video tribute either. Maybe a message on the scoreboard to remind fans who don't know their Sox history. Good fans always remember former players. I wouldn't even applaud Frank Thomas if he came in against the White Sox, though, because I think that would be showing disrespect to the current team, but I would consider it bad form to boo a former player (most former players anyway -- Jose Paniagua would probably be on the top of the list of exceptions).

Tribute videos for opposing players are and should be a rare thing.

TomBradley72
06-14-2008, 03:16 PM
In baseball, players move around. They always have. Jon Garland did more for the Sox in his career than Podsednik, and I don't believe he justifies a video tribute either. Maybe a message on the scoreboard to remind fans who don't know their Sox history. Good fans always remember former players. I wouldn't even applaud Frank Thomas if he came in against the White Sox, though, because I think that would be showing disrespect to the current team, but I would consider it bad form to boo a former player (most former players anyway -- Jose Paniagua would probably be on the top of the list of exceptions).

Tribute videos for opposing players are and should be a rare thing.

I can see your point. But I think Pods had a very special bond with the fans during his three years with the WSox. He was a huge catalyst for the team during the regular season of 2005, the fans really rallied to vote him on to the All Star team, and his huge HR and overall performaance in the post season...a short stay, but very high impact, and sometimes it's "intangible"..but some players really connect with the fans. I think Pods was one of those players. I don't think they should do a tribute video...but not inappropriate if they chose to.

As far as I know, walk off homers to win a World Series game at home for the White Sox are a pretty rare accomplishment. And with all due respect to Frank Thomas (I was there for his return with Oakland and gave him a standing ovation very AB)...he never delivered anything near that in his two post seasons (1993,2000) with the White Sox. (I'm bracing for the onslaught of hostility that remark will bring).

TomBradley72
06-14-2008, 03:17 PM

If we decide to add a speed element off the bench...I'd rather have Pods than Owens.

turners56
06-14-2008, 03:24 PM
If we decide to add a speed element off the bench...I'd rather have Pods than Owens.

Then it'll be just like 2005! Minus Aaron Rowand :whiner:. His ghost is still there though!

TDog
06-14-2008, 06:23 PM
... I don't think they should do a tribute video...but not inappropriate if they chose to.

As far as I know, walk off homers to win a World Series game at home for the White Sox are a pretty rare accomplishment. ...

Fortunately, I believe White Sox management has enough baseball sense to consider a tribute video inappropriate. Taking nothing away from Podsednik, and certainly it is beyond classless to boo him, but he is Julio Cruz plus one phenonmenal postseason moment.

Since 1903 (since the dawn of civilization for that matter) there has been just the one game-ending World Series home run hit by a White Sox player. In the 1919 World Series, Chick Gandil hit a 10th-inning single to score Buck Weaver with the winning run in Game 6 against the Reds, but the game was played in Cincinnati. That was the only World Series game prior to 2005 that the White Sox won by scoring in their last at bat.