PDA

View Full Version : Blue Jays beat the Cubs

doublem23
06-13-2008, 10:23 PM
Welcome to the American League, mother****ers.

gogosox16
06-13-2008, 10:26 PM
Haha yeah, I have someone staying with me who use to lives here but now in Texas playing on a semi pro baseball team for the summer and he is talking about how the Cubs are so good and that they could kill anyone in the American league and how they will destroy the Sox, and I've been letting him talk this crap and when he gets back from his games this weekend hopefully I can say that you guys just lost the series/swept by a last place team or something to get him pissed:smile:

CubsfansareDRUNK
06-13-2008, 10:36 PM
Another road loss...

DickAllen72
06-13-2008, 10:43 PM
:cheers:

Railsplitter
06-13-2008, 10:47 PM
The Jays wore those hideous powder blue ROAD unis from thier early days.

Scottiehaswheels
06-13-2008, 10:49 PM
Not to be a dick or anything, but they got 8 hits tonight off Burnett and company... Sadly, I think that is more than we hit that entire 4 game series in Toronto.

sox1970
06-13-2008, 10:51 PM
You never know what may happen between now and September. I want every other AL team to lose over the next 15 games--even to the Cubs.

doublem23
06-13-2008, 10:59 PM

What? Those jerseys are excellent.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2150/2347983686_4f5f853207_o.png

doublem23
06-13-2008, 11:00 PM
You never know what may happen between now and September. I want every other AL team to lose over the next 15 games--even to the Cubs.

The Cubs can beat up on the AL Central all they want, but who cares what they do against the East and West? Doesn't really matter too much to us.

sox1970
06-13-2008, 11:03 PM
The Cubs can beat up on the AL Central all they want, but who cares what they do against the East and West? Doesn't really matter too much to us.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/standings/wildcard.jsp

doublem23
06-13-2008, 11:09 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/standings/wildcard.jsp

Meh, we're in the driver's seat in the Central and that said, even if the Sox were right now added to the Wild Card standings, we wouldn't be leading. I'm not saying I'm giddy over the American League pounding on the ****ty NL again, but I won't lose sleep when the AL East doormats beat the Cubs.

sox1970
06-13-2008, 11:16 PM
Meh, we're in the driver's seat in the Central and that said, even if the Sox were right now added to the Wild Card standings, we wouldn't be leading. I'm not saying I'm giddy over the American League pounding on the ****ty NL again, but I won't lose sleep when the AL East doormats beat the Cubs.

I just think a lot can happen between now and the end of the season. There are a ton of teams that could conceivably be in the 84-88 win range. The better the AL does in interleague, the higher the win total that gets the wildcard.

And let's face it--the Cubs are a very good team, and they will be making the playoffs. I'll take any help they want to give us.

TDog
06-13-2008, 11:16 PM
Not to be a dick or anything, but they got 8 hits tonight off Burnett and company... Sadly, I think that is more than we hit that entire 4 game series in Toronto.

This intrigued me enough that I looked up the game play-by-play. The Cubs had the bases loaded and one out after a bases loaded single scored just one run to pull them within a run at 3-2. Theriot grounded into a doubleplay and neither team scored for the rest of the game. The Cubs actually looked to be doing a Sox-on-the-road impression tonight.

veeter
06-13-2008, 11:23 PM
Not to be a dick or anything, but they got 8 hits tonight off Burnett and company... Sadly, I think that is more than we hit that entire 4 game series in Toronto.The Sox didn't face Burnett.

veeter
06-13-2008, 11:24 PM

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2150/2347983686_4f5f853207_o.pngRoy looks thrilled.

scarsofthumper
06-13-2008, 11:46 PM
Great thread, or GREATEST thread?

HomeFish
06-13-2008, 11:59 PM
People in this thread are going to look silly if the Cubs take the next two. They're a team on fire right now and are still the favorites in that other league over there.

TomBradley72
06-14-2008, 12:03 AM
And let's face it--the Cubs are a very good team, and they will be making the playoffs.

Agreed.

The whole idea of a thread dedicated to them finally losing a game is kind of sad. They are the class of their league so far, and barring injury, should run away with thir division.

WhiteSox5187
06-14-2008, 12:10 AM
The Jays wore those beautiful powder blue ROAD unis from thier early days.
fixed it.

skobabe8
06-14-2008, 12:45 AM

Too baggy.

btrain929
06-14-2008, 12:51 AM

.......and we should know better than any team in baseball that it doesn't matter how many hits you have in a game, it's what you do with those hitters that get on base. They could have had 16 hits tonight......they still scored only 2 runs.

TheOldRoman
06-14-2008, 01:05 AM
They are the class of their league so far, and barring injury, should run away with thir division.Yeah, except for the fact that they are hitting the living crap out of the ball right now, Ryan Dempter who hasn't started regularly since 03 and has never been close to great has an era under 3. Oh, and they are still only 3.5 games up.

I am not saying they are a bad team, but I don't think they are nearly as good as many on here think. Dempter will cool way down, their offense (which is extremely streaky) will cool down somewhat, and they still have Lily, Marquis, and assorted other rubbish in their rotation. And lets not kid ourselves about Wood staying healthy the whole year. The Cubs are playing the best baseball this team will ever play, and they are 3 and a half games up. I am not saying they won't win the division, but they won't run away with anything.

WhiteSox5187
06-14-2008, 01:06 AM
Too baggy.
Agreed, most players wear their uniforms too baggy now (especially OC). That uniform also should be worn with stirrups which should just be mandatory on all MLB uniforms.

SOX LA Mikey
06-14-2008, 02:35 AM
Yes, but why are they wearing ROAD uniforms at home in the dome???:bandance:

thedudeabides
06-14-2008, 03:03 AM

I see it nearly impossible to beat a team dressed like that.

Juice16
06-14-2008, 07:26 AM

I agree, the Blue Jays current uniforms maybe the worst in baseball, but I like the throwbacks.

hose
06-14-2008, 08:33 AM
Toronto is one of my least favorite baseball teams of all time. I would just as soon see the Cubs kick their butts.

hose
06-14-2008, 08:45 AM
Toronto is one of my least favorite baseball teams of all time. I would just as soon see the Cubs kick their butts.

:o: man I got to go take a shower ... I feel dirty :redface:

munchman33
06-14-2008, 09:35 AM
People in this thread could care less if the Cubs take the next two. They're a team built on victories in an inferior league and are my favorite team in either league.

Fixed it for you.

getonbckthr
06-14-2008, 10:02 AM
Perfect world the AL wins 18 games a year in interleague play.:D:

It's Time
06-14-2008, 10:38 AM
Is this thread supposed to be in teal? A.J. Burnett wins a pitchers duel over a rookie, Sean Gallager (sp?) 3-2 and all of a sudden the Cubs can't beat the A.L.?

If I'm not mistaken, was this not the 1st interleague game for the Cubs as well?

I think this thread makes us look as if we are REALLY grasping at straws to find a flaw in the Cubs.

It's Time
06-14-2008, 10:51 AM
What's even more ironic is that Burnett may have just pitched himself on to the Cubs with that outing last night. He is one of the pitchers the Jays are shopping and the Cubs appear to have their sights set on him.

Nice.

ILuvThatDuck
06-14-2008, 10:56 AM
:whocares:

thedudeabides
06-14-2008, 11:09 AM
Is this thread supposed to be in teal? A.J. Burnett wins a pitchers duel over a rookie, Sean Gallager (sp?) 3-2 and all of a sudden the Cubs can't beat the A.L.?

If I'm not mistaken, was this not the 1st interleague game for the Cubs as well?

I think this thread makes us look as if we are REALLY grasping at straws to find a flaw in the Cubs.

What's even more ironic is that Burnett may have just pitched himself on to the Cubs with that outing last night. He is one of the pitchers the Jays are shopping and the Cubs appear to have their sights set on him.

Nice.

:whocares:

Agreed, agreed, and agreed.

ComiskeyBrewer
06-14-2008, 11:11 AM

Real men wear Powder Blue.

TomBradley72
06-14-2008, 11:58 AM
Yeah, except for the fact that they are hitting the living crap out of the ball right now, Ryan Dempter who hasn't started regularly since 03 and has never been close to great has an era under 3. Oh, and they are still only 3.5 games up.

I am not saying they are a bad team, but I don't think they are nearly as good as many on here think. Dempter will cool way down, their offense (which is extremely streaky) will cool down somewhat, and they still have Lily, Marquis, and assorted other rubbish in their rotation. And lets not kid ourselves about Wood staying healthy the whole year. The Cubs are playing the best baseball this team will ever play, and they are 3 and a half games up. I am not saying they won't win the division, but they won't run away with anything.

I agree they will cool off and return to earth...I just don't see the Cards, Astros or Brewers being a real threat to them. I hope I'm wrong.

HomeFish
06-14-2008, 01:51 PM
5-0 Cubs in the top of the third, with a chance for them to get more.

Lots of people in this thread look silly now.

1908<2005
06-14-2008, 01:51 PM
You said it.

They're certainly not going to have it easy against Halladay tomorrow.
I agree....oh wait.

Nice jinx by doublem. :rolleyes:

TommyJohn
06-14-2008, 01:56 PM
5-0 Cubs in the top of the third, with a chance for them to get more.

Lots of people in this thread look silly now.

You should know something about looking silly, with all the idiotic, dumbass
garbage you have posted.

ZombieRob
06-14-2008, 01:57 PM
It makes me sick to have to admit this. The Cubs will probably go to the W.S. there isn't a team in the N.L even in their class right now. Explosive lineups, career years, solid pitching and relief staff and seem to catch every break imaginable right now.IMO they probably make an example out of the Sox at Wrigley while the Sox probably take 2 out of 3 at the cell.

whitesoxfan
06-14-2008, 02:02 PM
They're a good team people. I think it's time to move past the denial stage already.

Sockinchisox
06-14-2008, 02:03 PM
It makes me sick to have to admit this. The Cubs will probably go to the W.S. there isn't a team in the N.L even in their class right now. Explosive lineups, career years, solid pitching and relief staff and seem to catch every break imaginable right now.IMO they probably make an example out of the Sox at Wrigley while the Sox probably take 2 out of 3 at the cell.

The Phillies look damn good.

DumpJerry
06-14-2008, 02:05 PM
I'm looking forward to it. After the Good Guys sweep them, it will end the debate for 10 years.

ZombieRob
06-14-2008, 02:06 PM
The Phillies look damn good.
So did the D backs when the Cubs played them. And the D backs basically got toyed with.

ZombieRob
06-14-2008, 02:07 PM
I'm looking forward to it. After the Good Guys sweep them, it will end the debate for 10 years.
I hope so .I just want to be able to read the paper and listen to the radio without the Sox getting it stuck up their ass'. If the Cubs win my main worry is the Sox whatever momentum they had or have will be gone.

turners56
06-14-2008, 02:09 PM
You said it.

They're certainly not going to have it easy against Halladay tomorrow.

Oh, the irony. It's 5-0 Cubs...

palehozenychicty
06-14-2008, 02:11 PM

I think that the Phils and Dbacks are a little more balanced overall. I also think that SOME team will come out of nowhere in that NL scrum and make moves. It's happened a lot this decade.

ZombieRob
06-14-2008, 02:16 PM
I think that the Phils and Dbacks are a little more balanced overall. I also think that SOME team will come out of nowhere in that NL scrum and make moves. It's happened a lot this decade.
I truly hope your right. I can't stand it anymore. It seems every team that plays the Cubs just ate some stupid soup before the game.

whitesoxfan
06-14-2008, 02:18 PM

For the last time, the Diamondbacks aren't that great of a team.

The Immigrant
06-14-2008, 02:21 PM
For the last time, the Diamondbacks aren't that great of a team.

True, but Webb and Haren will be pretty hard to beat in a playoff series.

voodoochile
06-14-2008, 02:23 PM
:threadsucks

I mean honestly, if you want to tout the amazing baseball ability of the flubbies, go post on a flubbie board. I'm tired of the same people who nightly trash the Sox game threads basically rooting for the flubbies in this forum.

You know who you are. This is your last warning. I'm going to take out the trash and that means the sorry crossdressing pieces of crap who seem to think the totally biased, utterly petty, completely unobjective doesn't mean anything anymore. I'm going to prove to you how wrong you are...

Get it?

Got it?

Good...

Cuck the Fubs
06-14-2008, 02:27 PM
Thank you Voodoo!

whitesoxfan
06-14-2008, 02:37 PM
True, but Webb and Haren will be pretty hard to beat in a playoff series.

Yeah, there's no denying that.

TomBradley72
06-14-2008, 02:49 PM
The Cubs MIGHT fade...starting pitching is still a little thin, law of averages says they won't keep up their home winning pct., Wood and Dempster holding up for the long haul is questionable, and they've had a serious horseshoe in their pocket all season. But I don't think they will, no real contenders/threats in their division or in the NL overall, and plenty of trade bait for another arm if/when they need it.

ranger_bob
06-14-2008, 02:49 PM
I mainly lurk and haven't posted here in awhile, but this thread is pretty comical. First, whether you are a Sox fan or not, it's pretty much sticking your head in the sand to deny that the Cubs are a damn good baseball team. Regardless of what league they play, they lead the majors in run difference as well as having the best record. That's not rooting for them; that's the fact. So, it's ironic, and I'm sure comical to Cubs fans that as soon as they drop a game to an AL team, that this thread pops up. Never mind that they were coming off a 4 game winning streak (the fifth so far this year of four or more games). Now, they have put up a 6 spot on Halladay while Marquis has held the Jays in check makes this thread even more ridiculous. Be biased as you want to be...that's every fans' right, but avoid stupidity...unless that's just unable. I hope I don't get banned for this, but if I do, oh well. Root for the Sox...root against the Cubs if you like....but like it or not, the Cubs have a damn good team this year and denying it just makes you look retarded.

Mod Edit: You got banned for using the word in red as a put down. See you in a week.

gobears1987
06-14-2008, 02:52 PM
*snip*

About ****ing time. :wooty:

splintersag
06-14-2008, 03:11 PM
Guys, it's time to acknowledge that the Cubs are actually good. You can ban all the Ranger fans that you want, but it can't be denied. The best record in the league, and currently a 6-0 lead against Halladay. The Cubs being great takes away nothing from the White Sox.

You don't have to be so stubborn, just accept the truth. We'll see who's better come October.

turners56
06-14-2008, 03:16 PM
Guys, it's time to acknowledge that the Cubs are actually good. You can ban all the Ranger fans that you want, but it can't be denied. The Cubs being great takes away nothing from the White Sox.

Nobody is saying they suck. We're just pointing out their flaws. Every team has flaws! And yes the Cubs being good does take away from the White Sox fandom, we have to hear Cubs fans talk petty nonsense about their team all day, while throwing in the Sox are not as good or something. In Chicago, baseball is not only a battle on the field, it's also a social battle.

And oh btw, the Great Jason Marquis is one hitting the Blue Jays. Are you Cubbies lovers happy now?

areilly
06-14-2008, 04:33 PM
People are going to start posting Cubs postgame threads now? Jesus Christ. I love a good Cubs loss as much as (and probably more than) anyone, but this is just pathetic.

ILuvThatDuck
06-14-2008, 07:31 PM
:threadsucks

I mean honestly, if you want to tout the amazing baseball ability of the flubbies, go post on a flubbie board. I'm tired of the same people who nightly trash the Sox game threads basically rooting for the flubbies in this forum.

You know who you are. This is your last warning. I'm going to take out the trash and that means the sorry crossdressing pieces of crap who seem to think the totally biased, utterly petty, completely unobjective doesn't mean anything anymore. I'm going to prove to you how wrong you are...

Get it?

Got it?

Good...

What he said. :thumbsup:

JB98
06-14-2008, 11:40 PM
The Cubs still ****ing suck. I just wanted to point that out. I'm tired of Sox fans talking about how great the Cubs supposedly are.

The Cubs aren't going to win the World Series, no matter what their fans tell you.

DickAllen72
06-14-2008, 11:55 PM
The Cubs still ****ing suck. I just wanted to point that out. I'm tired of Sox fans talking about how great the Cubs supposedly are.

The Cubs aren't going to win the World Series, no matter what their fans tell you.
Thank you.

getonbckthr
06-15-2008, 01:48 PM
2-0 3rd inning.

1908<2005
06-15-2008, 03:13 PM
So since you made this thread the Cubs win 2 in a row vs the Blue Jays and we are about to lose 2 to the Rockies.

The Critic
06-15-2008, 03:17 PM
So since you made this thread the Cubs win 2 in a row vs the Blue Jays and we are about to lose 2 to the Rockies.
Come on, slow down - one run down in the 4th isn't "about to lose".

1908<2005
06-15-2008, 03:35 PM
Of course I was just putting an anti-jinx on us :bandance:

The Critic
06-15-2008, 03:49 PM
Of course I was just putting an anti-jinx on us :bandance:

ahhhhh.....clever.....:D:

Better do another one, our guys just went down by a run again.

TomBradley72
06-15-2008, 04:01 PM

I don't know if they're great....but their .638 winning percentage is a pretty good indicator that they are a good team.

DickAllen72
06-15-2008, 04:27 PM
I don't know if they're great....but their .638 winning percentage is a pretty good indicator that they are a good team.
You're not a great team until you accomplish something. Being up 3.5 games in a ****ty division in June doesn't make you a great team.

getonbckthr
06-15-2008, 04:44 PM
You're not a great team until you accomplish something. Being up 3.5 games in a ****ty division in June doesn't make you a great team.
St. Louis also has 40 wins. Is that division really that ****ty?

DickAllen72
06-15-2008, 04:58 PM
St. Louis also has 40 wins. Is that division really that ****ty?
That whole league is ****ty.

getonbckthr
06-15-2008, 05:03 PM
That whole league is ****ty.
Well the worst team in that ****ty league just took 2 out of 3 in our house.

It's Time
06-15-2008, 05:07 PM
You just knew what was going to happen this weekend after this thread was started.

Embarrassing what happened this weekend.

getonbckthr
06-15-2008, 05:08 PM
You just knew what was going to happen this weekend after this thread was started.

Embarrassing what happened this weekend.
Losing 2 out of 3 at home to Colorado is embarressing.

DickAllen72
06-15-2008, 05:11 PM
Well the worst team in that ****ty league just took 2 out of 3 in our house.
What are you trying to say?

It's Time
06-15-2008, 05:15 PM

:redface:

jabrch
06-15-2008, 05:16 PM
Losing 2 out of 3 at home to Colorado is embarressing.

What team doesn't have this happen to them from time to time. Look at the two teams who are almost unanimously agreed upon as the #1 teams in each league. Boston lost 3 of 4 to Minny (who we swept). They lost 2 at Baltimore. They lost 2 of 3 at Seattle. Crap happens. The Cubs too have lost serieses to bad teams. Milwaukee (twice), Washington, Cinci, Houston, Pitt, LA....

We are still, despite this, 4.5 games up. We have the best team in our division and we are playing decent ball overall.

Yeah - it sucks to lose any series. But it sucks more if we weren't a good team.

I see no reason to believe we won't be contending all year.

getonbckthr
06-15-2008, 05:24 PM
What are you trying to say?
What i'm trying to say is that league isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

DickAllen72
06-15-2008, 05:50 PM
What i'm trying to say is that league isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be.
AL leads 44-34 over NL so far this season.

getonbckthr
06-15-2008, 05:52 PM
AL leads 44-34 over NL so far this season.
I wouldn't say that really proves anything. 5 games go a different way and its even. I agree that the AL is better than the NL, I just think we have see the difference at different depths.

Frater Perdurabo
06-15-2008, 06:01 PM
I wouldn't say that really proves anything. 5 games go a different way and its even. I agree that the AL is better than the NL, I just think we have see the difference at different depths.

Yeah, and five games the other way and it's total AL domination.

The AL is the better league, period.

getonbckthr
06-15-2008, 06:13 PM
Yeah, and five games the other way and it's total AL domination.

The AL is the better league, period.
Agreed but the seperation isn't like in past years. The gap is closing.

TomBradley72
06-15-2008, 06:40 PM

I didn't say they are a great team. Read the post.

Frater Perdurabo
06-15-2008, 06:51 PM
Agreed but the seperation isn't like in past years. The gap is closing.

I disagree. The gap may be closing this year, but in a year or two it will widen again. As long as the AL has über-high payroll teams (Yankees and Red Sox) who can afford to put multimillionaires on the bench and buy more talent to cover for their mistakes, the best free agent talent will tend to flow from from the NL to the AL. Moreover, AL teams either have to spend more or think better to keep up with the Boston and New York. These factors will keep the AL the stronger league indefinitely.

getonbckthr
06-15-2008, 06:56 PM
I disagree. The gap may be closing this year, but in a year or two it will widen again. As long as the AL has über-high payroll teams (Yankees and Red Sox) who can afford to put multimillionaires on the bench and buy more talent to cover for their mistakes, the best free agent talent will tend to flow from from the NL to the AL. Moreover, AL teams either have to spend more or think better to keep up with the Boston and New York. These factors will keep the AL the stronger league indefinitely.
Possibly but in the NL you got the Cubs and Mets willing to pay. Philly and Houston will most likely be willing to also pay big money. Teams like Arizona, Milwaukee and Florida like the new trend of long term to young players. Dodgers clearly based on contracts to Nomar, Jones, Pierre, Schmidt and Furcal are not afraid to spend either.

Frater Perdurabo
06-15-2008, 07:02 PM
Possibly but in the NL you got the Cubs and Mets willing to pay. Philly and Houston will most likely be willing to also pay big money. Teams like Arizona, Milwaukee and Florida like the new trend of long term to young players. Dodgers clearly based on contracts to Nomar, Jones, Pierre, Schmidt and Furcal are not afraid to spend either.

Yes, but those NL teams often are spending money on second-level free agent talent, after the Yankees and Red Sox get the best players.

You also have to consider the White Sox and Angels to be big spenders, too.

Plus, the Twins are probably the best-run organization in the league, and the A's are good at working within a limited budget, too.

getonbckthr
06-15-2008, 07:09 PM
Yes, but those NL teams often are spending money on second-level free agent talent, after the Yankees and Red Sox get the best players.

You also have to consider the White Sox and Angels to be big spenders, too.

Plus, the Twins are probably the best-run organization in the league, and the A's are good at working within a limited budget, too.
As is for the most part Florida and (maybe not this season) the Padres. Then you got Atlanta who is just a great organization. The problem was Steinbrenner didn't care what he spent and Boston realized they needed to match him. I think the new Steinbrenner's will be more responsible. Not to mention NY doesn't look as welcoming as it used to. I'm not sure many players wanna play for the NYY like in the past.

DickAllen72
06-15-2008, 07:28 PM
I didn't say they are a great team. Read the post.
I read it the first time. I know you didn't say they were great. You quoted JB98 stating that he is sick of everyone saying how great the Cubs supposedly are and you said you don't know if they are great but their record indicates that they are good.

Basically I was responding to both of you in the same post, but I probably should have quoted JB's post instead of yours. You can't be considered a great team until you accomplish something great. Being up a few games in June doesn't qualify a team for greatness.

So at this point I know they shouldn't be called great just yet. :wink:

Frater Perdurabo
06-15-2008, 08:14 PM
As is for the most part Florida and (maybe not this season) the Padres. Then you got Atlanta who is just a great organization. The problem was Steinbrenner didn't care what he spent and Boston realized they needed to match him. I think the new Steinbrenner's will be more responsible. Not to mention NY doesn't look as welcoming as it used to. I'm not sure many players wanna play for the NYY like in the past.

All right, then lets see which league has more perennial doormats.

In the AL, there are two: the Royals and Rangers. You can't call the Rays perennial doormats any more.

In the NL, there are between three and five: Pirates, Reds, Nats, Marlins (three decent seasons in their history; just that two of them happened to be WS champs!) and Giants (let's face it, after 2002 they've been terrible and Bonds was their only draw).

Lip Man 1
06-15-2008, 08:17 PM
Geton:

Houston no longer spends "big money."

Lip

getonbckthr
06-15-2008, 08:22 PM
Geton:

Houston no longer spends "big money."

Lip
Didn't they sign Carlos Lee, Kaz Matsui and trade for Miguel Tejada?

It's Time
06-15-2008, 08:24 PM
This thread is way off track now. The thread reads: "Blue Jays beat the Cubs".

After one game, White Sox fans have to see a thead like this and then the Cubs go out and toy with the Jays all weekend.

:redface:

Soxman219
06-15-2008, 08:49 PM
Listen guys, I hate the Cubs as much as the next Sox fan, but they handled the Jays easily while we couldn't even beat the Rockies at home. We need to stop making bad threads like this and stop caring what the Cubs do. If we keep doing that, then we our no better than the haters that said we couldn't win in '05. Karma will come back to bite us just like this thread did. We need to focus on the Pirates next and worry about the Cubs Friday morning.

white sox bill
06-16-2008, 07:29 AM
As much as I hate to admit it, the cubs most likely will win the NL Central...two division titles in a row, when was the last time WE did that? I see nothing wrong in admitting those guys are good. When WE had the best record in MLB 3 yrs ago, we weren't hanging disclaimers on us discounting our creditability.

It's only June but the cubs are running over anyone in thier way these days and I for one am not looking forward to the Uncivil War this weekend.

Viva Medias B's
06-16-2008, 08:29 AM
As much as I hate to admit it, the cubs most likely will win the NL Central...two division titles in a row, when was the last time WE did that? I see nothing wrong in admitting those guys are good. When WE had the best record in MLB 3 yrs ago, we weren't hanging disclaimers on us discounting our creditability.

It's only June but the cubs are running over anyone in thier way these days and I for one am not looking forward to the Uncivil War this weekend.

1993 and 1994. Oh, wait a minute.

white sox bill
06-16-2008, 10:03 AM
1993 and 1994*. Oh, wait a minute.

There ya go!:smile:

The Critic
06-16-2008, 11:15 AM
All right, then lets see which league has more perennial doormats.

In the AL, there are two: the Royals and Rangers. You can't call the Rays perennial doormats any more.

In the NL, there are between three and five: Pirates, Reds, Nats, Marlins (three decent seasons in their history; just that two of them happened to be WS champs!) and Giants (let's face it, after 2002 they've been terrible and Bonds was their only draw).

Wait. The Rays have half a good season and they can't be called perennial doormats any more, but the Marlins win TWO World Series and they still can?
:scratch:

ComiskeyBrewer
06-16-2008, 12:07 PM
Wait. The Rays have half a good season and they can't be called perennial doormats any more, but the Marlins win TWO World Series and they still can?

Not to mention that the Tigers have had 2 decent years in the past 15 and they aren't?

Frater Perdurabo
06-16-2008, 01:54 PM

The Rays have had been accumulating good players for a while but have been beaten by the big payroll Red Sox and Yankees. Now their roster has gotten good enough to be winning lots of games against their division. It's been a long process, but I think they are set up for several years of sustained success.

When the Marlins aren't winning the World Series, they are terrible.

Not to mention that the Tigers have had 2 decent years in the past 15 and they aren't?

The Tigers spend like a large market team now; they aren't doormats anymore.