PDA

View Full Version : The Moron Column Count '02: Flubs 14, Sox 6

cheeses_h_rice
05-06-2002, 11:03 AM
Give some props to Voodoochile for picking up on this in Jay's last favorable column...he really was prepping his way to get on the bandwagon, and this column confirms it. Notice his use of the phrase "this could be a historic season" -- if the Sox win it all, or go further than they have since '59, Jay comes out looking like a genius.

So how come the ratio of Moron columns about the Sox & Cubs is still 2.33 to 1?

:moron

Uh, you must be talking about that other Sun-Times sports columnist, Ray Lariotti.

__

I give this one a "4" for the Sox. The sign-stealing crap...where did that come from?

5=Extremely positive
4=positive
3=equal parts positive and negative
2=negative
1=extremely negative

That makes the totals (columns/points/average points):

Flubs 14/50/3.57
Sox 6/19/3.17

http://www.suntimes.com/output/mariotti/cst-spt-jay06.html

City's pick to click

May 6, 2002

BY JAY MARIOTTI SUN-TIMES COLUMNIST

They don't need gimmicks anymore. Funny how the White Sox want to stage outfield fan sleepovers and erect beer tents in the parking lot when, at long last, the baseball product is selling itself. Attention all barking dogs, conga-line dancers, bobblehead collectors and Elvis impersonators:

Stay home. The freak show is over.

Things are starting to get serious at Comiskey Park.

As I've advised the Sox forever, just contend and entertain and people will care. Not only are they showing signs of contending all season, they've blinded us with a five-week offensive barrage that goes against the grain of the latest major-league trends. If you haven't noticed, a day rarely passes without another pitcher flirting with a no-hitter. Home runs are down, scoring is down, and the embattled men on the mound finally are gaining some measure of revenge. One team that never has followed the crowd, though, is the Sox.

Despite the slow starts of Frank Thomas and other bashers, not to mention a rash of nasty weather hardly conducive to hitting baseballs, they've still managed a stunning 190 runs in only 31 games. It's by far the highest total in the majors, a 6.1 average that nearly doubles the output of the lame Cubs and has triggered whispers from familiar conspiracy theorists. Because most of the damage has come at Comiskey, where the Sox are 12-4 and hitting over .325, talk is surfacing again that sneaky operatives are stealing signs via (choose one): holes in the scoreboard, the TV broadcast booth, the owner's box, a snoop in the Robert Taylor Homes or the guy behind the churros stand down the left-field line.

Such chatter has been commonplace for years. One school of thought believes TV announcer Hawk Harrelson is the ringleader, a charge he has heatedly denied on and off the air. Oakland ace Tim Hudson, rocked Saturday night by the Sox, is among those who have publicly suspected dirty pool. Perhaps as a pre-emptive statement to the American League and certainly as a dig at the A's, Jerry Manuel denied any snooping after the Sox scored 16 runs in the first two weekend games, crediting batting coach Gary Ward for the latest bursts.

"People think we're doing some things under the table and so forth, but we're not,'' said Manuel, who, unlike some Sox operatives, wouldn't lie about these things. "Gary prepared them on what they would get on a certain pitch.''

More likely than cheating, the Sox are just damned good. Even as they lost 3-2 Sunday, they played a crisp, intriguing game, falling just short against the formidable triad of Barry Zito, Jim Mecir and Billy Koch. After looking butt-awful in Oakland the previous weekend, the Sox came home and won four of six over Seattle and the A's, two excellent clubs. There's no reason to think they aren't one of the league's best half-dozen teams and can't wage month-to-month combat in the AL Central with the Minnesota Twins, who are doing their best to confound the pathetic contraction efforts of Bud (Lite) Selig.

"It comes down to our pitching and defense,'' Sandy Alomar Jr. said. "If we catch the ball and our pitchers keep us in the game, you know we're going to hit.''

To say the Sox merely hit the ball insults their impact. More often than not, they flat out crush it, which is why they find themselves on a rarefied pace. If they don't have enough pitching to dream the impossible Chicago dream and reach the World Series, this still could be a historic season on the South Side. Having scored six or more runs 17 times--including six in double-digits--the Sox are on track to challenge the 1,000-run barrier.

It will surprise you to know, amid the scoring frenzy of the last decade, that only one team has cracked that mark in the last half-century. The Cleveland Indians did it three years ago with 1,009, leaving them fifth all-time. The 1931 New York Yankees top the list with 1,067. I'd give the Sox another couple of months, then stick a running tally on the Comiskey facade if they're still on pace. We've seen some boppers in this town, including the South Side Hit Men and the division champs two years ago, but this team may be the most potent. Kenny Williams may want to give Cubs boss Andy MacPhail a high-interest runs loan.

The best tribute I can give the Sox is that I have very little to complain about. As the Cubs toothpick their way to another heartbreak, the Sox are almost sure to carry the baseball summer. Much depends on the kid pitchers, with Jon Rauch already biting the dust. Williams may want to cut and paste this ledger of potential July acquisitions: Scott Erickson, Jeff Weaver and Omar Daal, among others on a lean list that includes undesirables like Chuck Finley and Mike ($121 million bust) Hampton.

But Kenny GM deserves some slack and patience after his cool handling of the Jim Parque farce. Rather than risk hearing more bush-league criticism from the whiny pitcher, Williams challenged him by recalling him from Charlotte and letting him put his fastball where his mouth is. Parque was promptly humiliated, with his Sox career probably ending on the night Mike Cameron shelled him for three homers and made history with four.

The failures of Rauch and Parque place even more pressure on Jon Garland and Dan Wright. But if the fans start to come, maybe Reinsdorf will realize he's creeping toward 70 and splurge a little on a veteran pitcher. He's at the ballpark virtually every day and night, as if trying to will his "lifelong dream'' of a championship. No doubt some fans still hold a grudge against him and his stadium, yet there's something about this team that slowly is melting the iceberg.

Hot bats, I'd say.

Chisox353014
05-06-2002, 11:42 AM
As I've advised the Sox forever, just contend and entertain and people will care.

This is such a ridiculous statement. How exactly does he do his "advising". Does he leave messages on JR's machine? Slip notes under Rob Gallas' door? And here we all thought he was a pariah at Comiskey. It turns out he's got his own Sox hotline!
As far as I can tell, his idea of advice is to repeatedly slam the Sox and Comiskey and then complain and wonder why there are so many empty seats. He's focusing on winning in this column, which is fine, but the Sox are a team that needs all the help it can get to draw fans. Why not embrace the promotions and goofy commercials the way he does the "magic" of Wrigley Field.

Williams may want to cut and paste this ledger of potential July acquisitions: Scott Erickson, Jeff Weaver and Omar Daal, among others on a lean list that includes undesirables like Chuck Finley and Mike ($121 million bust) Hampton.

Careful, Kenny. This is the same guy who begged the Flubs to get Fred McGriff and all but declared a World Series berth if they did so. And we all know how that turned out.

TimChamp
05-06-2002, 11:54 AM
I thought that this was a weird quote from that article...

But if the fans start to come, maybe Reinsdorf will realize he's creeping toward 70 and splurge a little on a veteran pitcher.

I'm not quite sure what "splurge" means here... :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

RedPinStripes
05-06-2002, 01:44 PM
I guess the sox got the idea from the polo grounds to steal signs?

FarWestChicago
05-06-2002, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
Give some props to Voodoochile for picking up on this in Jay's last favorable column...he really was prepping his way to get on the bandwagon, and this column confirms it. Notice his use of the phrase "this could be a historic season" -- if the Sox win it all, or go further than they have since '59, Jay comes out looking like a genius.Oh Gawd, the next thing you know Boston will be on the bandwagon. This is horrible, but to be expected. I, for one, am so much happier when he shows his true colors and admits he bleeds Blue Rock and hates the Sox.

:fluffy

The putz listened to me for once. I told him the Sox rule!