PDA

View Full Version : Kurkjian's ironic Sox all star picks

Huisj
06-13-2008, 01:44 PM
Tim Kurkjian has a new article up about his picks for the all star game, and he gives some attention to some Sox players:

Backup C: Pierzynski
Starting 3B: Crede
Starting OF: Quentin

Pitchers: none

I find this interesting and ironic. It's the Sox' pitching staff that is leading the league in ERA and quality starts, and without that staff, this team would have nowhere near the record they have. Yet, all the national attention seems to go to the offense, which, as a whole, has been quite pathetic more that it's been good; it's those few weeks of being really good that have gotten all the attention.

RedHeadPaleHoser
06-13-2008, 01:48 PM
If he picks White Sox pitchers, how will Andy Pettite, Papelbon and Chamberlain make the team?

No teal implied. I am dead ****ing serious.

veeter
06-13-2008, 01:51 PM
I like Kurkjian, but who cares?

turners56
06-13-2008, 01:54 PM
If he picks White Sox pitchers, how will Andy Pettite, Papelbon and Chamberlain make the team?

With the pitchers he selected, I really don't think any of our starters fits. The guys he picked all have ERAs below 3. That won't last obviously, but the White Sox rotation is not full of aces, it's a collective effort in my opinion.

I love how the Cubs have no position players but have both Wood and Marmol from the bullpen. If Marmol and Wood can sneak in there, why not Linebrink and Jenks? :scratch:

LoveYourSuit
06-13-2008, 01:57 PM
Tim Kurkjian has a new article up about his picks for the all star game, and he gives some attention to some Sox players:

I find this interesting and ironic. It's the Sox' pitching staff that is leading the league in ERA and quality starts, and without that staff, this team would have nowhere near the record they have. Yet, all the national attention seems to go to the offense, which, as a whole, has been quite pathetic more that it's been good; it's those few weeks of being really good that have gotten all the attention.

The Sox starters have been awesome and provide quality start after quality start .... but Wins are sexy and our starters cannot pick up Ws because of our piss crap offense. At the end, Ws appear to be the biggest key to get you into the mid summer classic.

I rather our pitching staff take a rest for the allstar break.

Just me.

LoveYourSuit
06-13-2008, 02:00 PM
why not Linebrink and Jenks? :scratch:

I don't think Jenks is even top 5 in Saves for the AL and his stuff on this board has already been debated as not being that exposive guy we once knew as Bobby Jenks

Linebrink and even Dotel should get consideration for middle relief. For all the crap some give Dotel, 15Ks per 9 IPs is very impressive.

turners56
06-13-2008, 02:03 PM
I don't think Jenks is even top 5 in Saves for the AL and his stuff on this board has already been debated as not being that exposive guy we once knew as Bobby Jenks

Linebrink and even Dotel should get consideration for middle relief. For all the crap some give Dotel, 15Ks per 9 IPs is very impressive.

Still I'd take Jenks over Wood any day.

October26
06-13-2008, 02:06 PM
The Sox starters have been awesome and provide quality start after quality start .... but Wins are sexy and our starters cannot pick up Ws because of our piss crap offense. At the end, Ws appear to be the biggest key to get you into the mid summer classic.

Just me.

Very good point. In my opinion, the All-Star Game today has become a popularity contest to see what team has the most fans who vote the most. When I was a kid, I looked forward to seeing the best players in the game represent the National and American league teams. Now, it is a contest to see whether there are more Red Sox fans or Cub fans out there. How pathetic.

I agree that the more rest our pitching staff gets, the better. Having said all this, I will vote my brains out for Carlos Quentin, although I am a little nervous reading all of the threads about his hand injury? I still believe he deserves to go, even though he has been in a bit of a slump lately.

oeo
06-13-2008, 02:06 PM

All the geniuses "debate" this every year, and every year Jenks ends up proving them wrong and having a great season.

I guess the geniuses are not geniuses at all...

And honestly, Jenks has not been getting regular work this year, which could have something to do with his early problems.

LoveYourSuit
06-13-2008, 02:11 PM

By far. But the NL does not have the premier closers the AL has IMO. The competition is harder for Jenks to get in compared to Wood.

And to be fair, Wood has been surprisingly good so far. I had him losing his arm by May.

DumpJerry
06-13-2008, 03:20 PM
I don't think Jenks is even top 5 in Saves for the AL and his stuff on this board has already been debated as not being that exposive guy we once knew as Bobby Jenks.
The Save is the most overrated stat in baseball. The pitcher has no control over how many save opportunities he gets. Jenks is lights out with a great breaking fastball and 12-6 curve that just kills.

MetroPD
06-13-2008, 03:32 PM
For the long haul sure, but Wood has been excellent thus far this year. Bobby has lost his strikeout ratio seemingly (still gets the job done), but Wood is still sitting people down with regularity.

JB98
06-13-2008, 04:44 PM

The thing that makes the Sox pitching strong is the tremendous depth, both in the rotation and in the bullpen. There isn't any one single guy that wows you with his stats or his stuff, but there are 11 guys who are solid and getting the job done consistently.

I like Kurkjian's choices of Quentin, Crede and AJ. All three are deserving, IMO.

Chicken Dinner
06-13-2008, 05:51 PM
I don't have a problem not sending any pitchers. Keep them fresh.

SOXSINCE'70
06-13-2008, 05:56 PM

I agree!! I'd rather keep Linebrink,Dotel and Jenks ready for games in August and September.By Aug/Sept,
the north side Losers will be lucky if Carrie and Marmol's knuckles don't drag on the ground as they run
in from the bullpen.

MCHSoxFan
06-13-2008, 06:49 PM

Tell me about it.

Nellie_Fox
06-14-2008, 12:00 AM
I'd rather that the Sox pitchers get the rest.

RadioheadRocks
06-14-2008, 12:05 AM

Consider the source:

Eastern
Seaboard
Propaganda
Network

thedudeabides
06-14-2008, 01:50 AM
With the pitchers he selected, I really don't think any of our starters fits. The guys he picked all have ERAs below 3. That won't last obviously, but the White Sox rotation is not full of aces, it's a collective effort in my opinion.

I love how the Cubs have no position players but have both Wood and Marmol from the bullpen. If Marmol and Wood can sneak in there, why not Linebrink and Jenks? :scratch:

I don't really understand what that means, Some of them have pretty much been aces, and a collective effort? What are they all pitching at the same time? Each effort is mutually exclusive, I think you should look at a staff on an individual basis.

johnnyg83
06-14-2008, 01:59 AM
Repeat alert: Sox vs. Angels Sunday night game. Sign ESPN focuses in on the 9th inning says "redsox and yankees highlights next on sportscenter" the director and cameraman didn't realize it was a a slam and focus on the shot on the sign for a full two-count -- well done sox fans .... well done

MHOUSE
06-14-2008, 04:22 PM
I'm fine with the Sox staff having a few days off. IMO Jenks has been solid, but not flashy like freakshow K-Rod or a Redsox/Yankee like Pap and Rivera. Contreras and Floyd are extremely worthy, but we're the only ones that know that. Floyd has flirted with a no-no twice! Who cares about Andy Pettitte? lol I really hope Crede and Quentin go though, they have carried us.

Wood has been really good this year. I read he changed his grip on his slider to get more control. He's been lights out since a rough start. Marmol is filthy, but he's pitched 42 innings in 69 games. He might not have an arm to throw with come July thanks to Lou!

MarySwiss
06-14-2008, 04:57 PM

Just me.

I'd rather that the Sox pitchers get the rest.

Well, I think we finally found something most Sox fans can agree on!!!! :cool:

Gerry
06-14-2008, 05:13 PM
The thing that makes the Sox pitching strong is the tremendous depth, both in the rotation and in the bullpen. There isn't any one single guy that wows you with his stats or his stuff, but there are 11 guys who are solid and getting the job done consistently.

I like Kurkjian's choices of Quentin, Crede and AJ. All three are deserving, IMO.

Matt Thornton has some pretty amazing stats and stuff. The opposing batters are hitting something like .150 off him collectively. Dotel has the most K's of any AL reliever, Linebrink has (or had) the most holds of any AL reliever. All 3 of those guys have "wowed" me this year.

Britt Burns
06-14-2008, 10:07 PM
Repeat alert: Sox vs. Angels Sunday night game. Sign ESPN focuses in on the 9th inning says "redsox and yankees highlights next on sportscenter" the director and cameraman didn't realize it was a a slam and focus on the shot on the sign for a full two-count -- well done sox fans .... well done

:gulp:
Well done!

JB98
06-14-2008, 10:56 PM
Matt Thornton has some pretty amazing stats and stuff. The opposing batters are hitting something like .150 off him collectively. Dotel has the most K's of any AL reliever, Linebrink has (or had) the most holds of any AL reliever. All 3 of those guys have "wowed" me this year.

Middle relievers don't make the All-Star team, unless they play on a hyped team like the Yankees, Red Sox, Mets or Cubs.