PDA

View Full Version : training staff

ChiSoxFan7
06-13-2008, 12:32 PM
I'm a little green in this subject so i thought i would throw it to the board...

Do the whitesox have a phenomenol training staff, pick durable players, or are they just plain lucky...

1. In recent memory, they're hasn't been a total stirke of the injury bug as other teams have to deal with,

2. Players play hurt (Hawks explaination of TCQ, Crede, and Roawnd)

So i'm just wondering if our training staff is regarded as one of the best or if we get lucky?

CHIsoxNation
06-13-2008, 12:35 PM
I've heard Herm Schneider was a great trainer.

The Sun Times had an article on this recently. Ozzie gave a lot of praise to Herm and his staff.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/969619,CST-SPT-ssep25.article

Chez
06-13-2008, 12:48 PM
I'm sure Herm is great, but I think we've been lucky so far this season (knock on wood). Other years (e.g. the pitching staff in 2001), not so lucky.

RedHeadPaleHoser
06-13-2008, 12:49 PM
Dr. Pain gets alot of credit for giving Jim Thome his season back in 2006; it was Herm's stretching that Thome said helped him through the year, and they are exercises JT does to this day.

The Sox are fortunate to have one of the league's better trainers.

Paulwny
06-13-2008, 12:50 PM
I suspect every team and their PR Broadcasters claim they have the best or one of the best training staffs and training facilities in MLB.

KenBerryGrab
06-13-2008, 12:54 PM
But in the White Sox's case, it's true.

Go back to the way they helped Ellis Burks and his rehab. Bo Jackson, when no one said he would play again. And on and on. It's not bragging if it's a fact.

Chez
06-13-2008, 01:07 PM
But in the White Sox's case, it's true.

Go back to the way they helped Ellis Burks and his rehab. Bo Jackson, when no one said he would play again. And on and on. It's not bragging if it's a fact.

Good points. But if you are going to credit Herm for Ellis Burks and Bo Jackson, do you blame him for not being able to keep Pods on the field in '06 and '07? I'm sure Herm and his staff are excellent, but I can't give him all the credit for our good fortune in 2008 (nor will I blame him if we start losing players to injury).

ChiSoxFan7
06-13-2008, 01:08 PM
I suspect every team and their PR Broadcasters claim they have the best or one of the best training staffs and training facilities in MLB.

if this is directed towards Hawk's comment, he made no mention of herm in the comment about players playing hurt....

as an athelete, i was just referencing that in order to play hurt you msut have a training staff behind you who can tape, brace, hold out and rehab and sox players constantly seem to do it

Paulwny
06-13-2008, 01:29 PM
if this is directed towards Hawk's comment, he made no mention of herm in the comment about players playing hurt....

as an athelete, i was just referencing that in order to play hurt you msut have a training staff behind you who can tape, brace, hold out and rehab and sox players constantly seem to do it

No it wasn't directed at Hawk's comment, but he's previously mentioned, as has Farmer, that Herm and his staff are one of the best. My feeling is that every team and their broadcasters will say that they also have the best or one of the best in MLB.
This is probably true with all major league sports teams.

ChiSoxFan7
06-13-2008, 01:44 PM
:redneckyeah, but wouldn't it be amazing for a broadcaster to just come out and say someting along the lines of "wow, we may have the worst _____ ever."

DumpJerry
06-13-2008, 01:56 PM
1. In recent memory, they're hasn't been a total stirke of the injury bug as other teams have to deal with
I erased 2007 from my memory, too.

Seriously, though, we do have a rockin' training/conditioning staff!

Lip Man 1
06-13-2008, 05:01 PM
When you play 162 games just in the regular season, have to endure the endless travel, day games after night games and the physical nature of major league baseball you are going to have injuries. It's inevitable.

Granted MLB isn't the same pounding as the NFL, but you try throwing a baseball 100 times every five days for example!

The Sox staff appears to do whatever they can to prevent injuries with a personalized training/workout plan for every player.

But even with that, injuries happen, sometimes of the freak variety.

As good as the Sox have been, remember 2001 was ruined by all the injuries suffered by the pitchers in the 2nd half of 2000 and the off season surgeries, 2004 was ruined when Thomas and Ordonez went down in the second half and 2007 wasn't helped by the injuries suffered by many of the players.

Basically injuries are a crap shoot. You work to try to minimize them but you have to be prepared as an organization that sooner or later they will come.

Lip

ChiSoxFan7
06-13-2008, 05:07 PM
I erased 2007 from my memory, too.

Seriously, though, we do have a rockin' training/conditioning staff!

we played in 07?:redneck

oeo
06-13-2008, 05:29 PM
The Sox staff appears to do whatever they can to prevent injuries with a personalized training/workout plan for every player.

I think this is the biggest reason why we can stay so healthy. Every guy has their own training program for the offseason, and Herm tries to make sure they keep with it.