PDA

View Full Version : The question of velocity...

Kilroy
05-06-2002, 11:01 AM
I was at the Sox/A's game Friday night when Buehrle tossed a gem and it made me wonder about something:

So much has been made of Parque's velocity (or lack of it) as he has been working in the 82 to 87 range on his fastball and hard breaking stuff. People saying you gotta have better than that to pitch in the majors.

But Buehrle goes from 83-87 on most pitches and brings his fastball at 89 max. He also will drop down to 71 on his breaking stuff.

So why isn't anyone complaining about Buehrle's velocity?

Duh.

Now, he's still recovering from surgery. When Parque was healthy, he could get it there at 93 on his fastball and he had pretty decent breaking stuff. I think there's 2 questions about him that need answered:

A. Will he get his arm strength back and velocity with it?
B. Will he ever learn to pitch without the velocity he used to have?

If he only does B, he can be effective at the speeds he's throwing at.

If he only does A, he can probably return to the half-way decent pitcher he used to be before injury and the David Wells effect.

If he does B, and then A happens, we might have another really good pitcher on our staff.

Randar68
05-06-2002, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Kilroy
I was at the Sox/A's game Friday night when Buehrle tossed a gem and it made me wonder about something:

So much has been made of Parque's velocity (or lack of it) as he has been working in the 82 to 87 range on his fastball and hard breaking stuff. People saying you gotta have better than that to pitch in the majors.

But Buehrle goes from 83-87 on most pitches and brings his fastball at 89 max. He also will drop down to 71 on his breaking stuff.

Duh.

Now, he's still recovering from surgery. When Parque was healthy, he could get it there at 93 on his fastball and he had pretty decent breaking stuff. I think there's 2 questions about him that need answered:

A. Will he get his arm strength back and velocity with it?
B. Will he ever learn to pitch without the velocity he used to have?

If he only does B, he can be effective at the speeds he's throwing at.

If he only does A, he can probably return to the half-way decent pitcher he used to be before injury and the David Wells effect.

If he does B, and then A happens, we might have another really good pitcher on our staff.

1) The public gun readings at Comiskey are about 2-3 mph slow this year.
2) Parque was never a finesse pitcher before, he had a sneaky-quick fastball and spotted it well at times
3) Buehrle can hit 92 with his fastball, watch gun readings at away games.....
4) Mark can throw 4 pitches for strikes, and he can throw his curve all the way down to the low 70's, making his lively fastball that much more effective. Parque, however, doesn't change speeds as much (currently about 85 down to 75) and can only reallt throw 2 pitches for strikes.

All in all, I agree with Tommy John....gun readings are overrated, but if you take that approach, Parque should never have been brought up because he couldn't get outs at AAA. If he never gets his velocity back, it'll take him a while to learn to get outs with what he has....

duke of dorwood
05-06-2002, 12:16 PM
And I think that all the ranting and raving about velocity regarding a particular pitcher makes it easier for other teams and hitters to know what to expect from a pitcher.

MattSharp
05-06-2002, 12:21 PM
I could care less about speed. Look at the stats. Parque gave up a ton of HRs in the minors and complained that he wasn't getting promoted. Then he comes up, gives up 14 hits, 9 ERs, and 6 HRs in 3 games, and 9 IP. That to me says more than a gun. He could throw 10 MPH if he was getting guys out, but he wasn't.....

Nellie_Fox
05-06-2002, 12:25 PM
Speed is never the issue; movement and location is. An 85 mph pitch, with movement, on the black, is hard to hit. 95 and straight, over the middle of the plate, will get killed by major league hitters.

FarWestChicago
05-06-2002, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
Speed is never the issue; movement and location is. An 85 mph pitch, with movement, on the black, is hard to hit. 95 and straight, over the middle of the plate, will get killed by major league hitters. :embree

Oh yeah! Who says so?

Clarkdog
05-06-2002, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy

Because Buehrle has incredible control, and hits his spots when he needs to. Parque wasn't and if you can hit spots then you have to challenge hitters, and you can't challenge anyone with an 84mph fastball.