PDA

View Full Version : Paplebitch says RedSox have more payback for Rays

Domeshot17
06-13-2008, 11:39 AM
HAHAHA, I love when guys try to act tough, especially ones who love to dance and make fools of themselves when they win games. I guess they feel like they owe the Rays from last time, and that Crisp isn't a dirty ass player.

Personally I think the Red Sox got off easy. Crisp got one in the thigh, not up near the helmet for a cheap slide. Im not for head hunting, but if the Red Sox throw at a Rays guy, You gotta put one in the ear of either Crisp or Manny.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3441390

(Edit: Not sure if the filter works on titles or not, so I just typed it out, if this is wrong feel free to retitle)

hi im skot
06-13-2008, 11:50 AM
Papelbitch? Really?

EDIT: Although he does come off as a complete douche.

turners56
06-13-2008, 11:52 AM
I love it when ego-filled players on ego-filled teams try to spark something stupid.

soxpride724
06-13-2008, 12:34 PM
I hope the Rays take that division from those *******s.

fquaye149
06-13-2008, 12:40 PM
HAHAHA, I love when guys try to act tough, especially ones who love to dance and make fools of themselves when they win games. I guess they feel like they owe the Rays from last time, and that Crisp isn't a dirty ass player.

Personally I think the Red Sox got off easy. Crisp got one in the thigh, not up near the helmet for a cheap slide. Im not for head hunting, but if the Red Sox throw at a Rays guy, You gotta put one in the ear of either Crisp or Manny.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3441390

(Edit: Not sure if the filter works on titles or not, so I just typed it out, if this is wrong feel free to retitle)

I don't know if this would annoy me as much if it weren't Papelbon and the Red Sox, but frankly, :shrug:

This is very annoying from a pipsqueak like Papelbon

At least when Pedro tackled Don Zimmer it was funny

CashMan
06-13-2008, 12:44 PM
This is very annoying from a pipsqueak like Papelbon

Stats from the pipsqueak:

2006 Bos 59 0 0 0 68.1 40 8 7 3 13 75 4 2 35 1 6 0.92
2007 Bos 59 0 0 0 58.1 30 12 12 5 15 84 1 3 37 2 3 1.85
2008 Bos 29 0 0 0 29.1 23 11 6 2 3 36 2 2 19 0 2 1.84

I would want him on my team, but that is just me.

fquaye149
06-13-2008, 12:45 PM

2006 Bos 59 0 0 0 68.1 40 8 7 3 13 75 4 2 35 1 6 0.92 2007 Bos 59 0 0 0 58.1 30 12 12 5 15 84 1 3 37 2 3 1.85 2008 Bos 29 0 0 0 29.1 23 11 6 2 3 36 2 2 19 0 2 1.84

Oh are you saying Papelbon's a good pitcher? I was unaware. He doesn't get much press.

CashMan
06-13-2008, 12:48 PM
Oh are you saying Papelbon's a good pitcher? I was unaware. He doesn't get much press.

All I am saying is, he he put up John Rocker #ers and talked, then call him a bitch, but if he is putting those #ers up, he can talk all he wants. He is backing it up.

thedudeabides
06-13-2008, 12:50 PM
I feel like I need to get it under control, but my hate for Boston sports is out of control. My brother, who is moving back to Chicago next month from Boston, has said time and time again the way they treat sports is like having 12 windsocks. F 'em. Sorry Fens, but it's the truth. Please do your best to stop it.

RedHeadPaleHoser
06-13-2008, 12:52 PM

I hope Boston looks over their shoulders all year because of the Rays. I'd like to see the Rays take it to them.

VeeckAsInWreck
06-13-2008, 01:09 PM
Papelbon is a good reliever but his need to be in the spotlight is very annoying.

I do hope another fight breaks out between the two teams. Then Johnny Gomes can pop him in his mouth. I don't know if you guys have noticed but Gomes loves to run in to fights. In spring training he ran from right field to get in on a fight at second base and if you watch the Coco Crisp/James Shields brawl Gomes starts throwing punches as Navarro took down Crisp.

kraut83
06-13-2008, 01:14 PM
I hope Boston looks over their shoulders all year because of the Rays. I'd like to see the Rays take it to them.

I at least want to see a team other than the Yankees breathing down their necks in September. IMO, Toronto has a shot to be there as well.

turners56
06-13-2008, 01:19 PM
Papelbon is a good reliever but his need to be in the spotlight is very annoying.

I do hope another fight breaks out between the two teams. Then Johnny Gomes can pop him in his mouth. I don't know if you guys have noticed but Gomes loves to run in to fights. In spring training he ran from right field to get in on a fight at second base and if you watch the Coco Crisp/James Shields brawl Gomes starts throwing punches as Navarro took down Crisp.

Gomes is having side effects from taking roids 3 years ago. The side effect: roid rage. He loves running in from right field to start an altercation. It's his "thang".

VeeckAsInWreck
06-13-2008, 01:23 PM
Gomes is having side effects from taking roids 3 years ago. The side effect: roid rage. He loves running in from right field to start an altercation. It's his "thang".

It's his "thang" all right. If there was an All-Brawl Team he'd be the right fielder. I know Kyle Farsnworth would be the relief pitcher.

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/topstory/sports/farnsworth_wilson0626.jpg

Paul Wilson can attest to it.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/2003/06/19/cubs_reds_brawl/farnsworth.jpg

getonbckthr
06-13-2008, 01:42 PM
I hope the 1st pitch from Tampa in their next series is thrown over the hitters head. Not at the head but a nice warning shot over the head.

DumpJerry
06-13-2008, 01:58 PM

2006 Bos 59 0 0 0 68.1 40 8 7 3 13 75 4 2 35 1 6 0.92
2007 Bos 59 0 0 0 58.1 30 12 12 5 15 84 1 3 37 2 3 1.85
2008 Bos 29 0 0 0 29.1 23 11 6 2 3 36 2 2 19 0 2 1.84

Give me Jenks over that twit any time.

fquaye149
06-13-2008, 02:00 PM
All I am saying is, he he put up John Rocker #ers and talked, then call him a bitch, but if he is putting those #ers up, he can talk all he wants. He is backing it up.

I didn't call him a bitch. I called him a pipsqueak.

There's a lot of people out there who hate Manny even though Manny has put up hall of fame numbers his whole career.

I don't see why two years of excellent pitching requires me to respect Papelbon as a person.

edit: And yes, I know he's a big guy. I don't know why I called him a pipsqueak. I guess he strikes me as a pipsqueak

turners56
06-13-2008, 02:03 PM
It's his "thang" all right. If there was an All-Brawl Team he'd be the right fielder. I know Kyle Farsnworth would be the relief pitcher.

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/topstory/sports/farnsworth_wilson0626.jpg

Paul Wilson can attest to it.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/2003/06/19/cubs_reds_brawl/farnsworth.jpg

That fight was hilarious. Farnsworthless actually proved him self worthy by tackling the crap out of Wilson.

LoveYourSuit
06-13-2008, 02:15 PM

I don't.

I want to be the the team that punches those clowns in the mouth just like we did in 2005. And please give me Berman for 3 games on ESPN so he can go home crying again.

VenturaFan23
06-13-2008, 02:28 PM
And please give me Berman for 3 games on ESPN so he can go home crying again.

No thanks. Once was one too many.

Hitmenof77
06-13-2008, 02:38 PM

This isn't about the ****er talking and backing it up. It's about him saying he would throw at the Rays for payback. That's bull****, especially from a closer who in the AL who will never come to bat.

chaerulez
06-13-2008, 02:47 PM

He can say what he wants because he puts up good numbers?

So Chase Utley can say whatever he feels and act like an ass because he is a very good player, but Juan Uribe can't comment on a similar situation?

BigPapaPump
06-13-2008, 02:58 PM
I'd like to hear what Fenway has to say about this.

twsoxfan5
06-13-2008, 02:58 PM
This has nothing to do with how he plays, but rather how he acts. He is a clown, and all of Red Saux nation are clowns. You can respect a player for how good he is and also hate the way he acts. For me this holds true for many MLB players.

turners56
06-13-2008, 03:19 PM
I don't.

I want to be the the team that punches those clowns in the mouth just like we did in 2005. And please give me Berman for 3 games on ESPN so he can go home crying again.

That was god awful. He sounded so pissed and bewildered when the White Sox took that 3rd game in Boston. Seriously, why was he doing baseball games anyways?

BTW, this year's ALDS games are on TBS.

MarySwiss
06-13-2008, 06:05 PM
I don't.

Every time I think about "Oh, NOOOOOO!", I get this big grin going. Can't help it!

No thanks. Once was one too many.

"Oh, NOOOOOO!" Let's do it again.

That was god awful. He sounded so pissed and bewildered when the White Sox took that 3rd game in Boston. Seriously, why was he doing baseball games anyways?

BTW, this year's ALDS games are on TBS.

Well, maybe Boomer the homer will get hired by TBS by then. We can but hope!

turners56
06-13-2008, 06:07 PM
Every time I think about "Oh, NOOOOOO!", I get this big grin going. Can't help it!

"Oh, NOOOOOO!" Let's do it again.

Well, maybe Boomer the homer will get hired by TBS by then. We can but hope!

"OH NOOOOO! Through his legs! Everyone's safe!"

I mean come on, how can you get anymore biased on National TV? That's like the kind of homerism Hawk displays. However, Hawk isn't doing these games on ESPN...

soxpride724
06-13-2008, 06:09 PM
"OH NOOOOO! Through his legs! Everyone's safe!"

I mean come on, how can you get anymore biased on National TV? That's like the kind of homerism Hawk displays. However, Hawk isn't doing these games on ESPN...

Yeah and Rik Sutclife was the voice of reason when he told him they gotta remain impartial.

Gregory Pratt
06-13-2008, 06:33 PM
Give me Jenks over that twit any time.

I like Bobby too, but this is silly.

Madscout
06-13-2008, 06:57 PM
I like Bobby too, but this is silly.
Both pitchers have gotten it done on the big stage. Bobby has learned to pitch. Papy is still a thrower.

Bobby will be a presence in you bullpen for years, helping young guys feel comfortable. Papy will whine about his contract and act like a premadonna.

Bobby will be able to get guys our when his stuff has faded. Papy?

Gregory Pratt
06-13-2008, 07:04 PM
Both pitchers have gotten it done on the big stage. Bobby has learned to pitch. Papy is still a thrower.

Bobby will be a presence in you bullpen for years, helping young guys feel comfortable. Papy will whine about his contract and act like a premadonna.

Bobby will be able to get guys our when his stuff has faded. Papy?

I don't know where you got the idea that Papelbon is a mere flamethrower. He has excellent secondary pitches, and he will be fine as he loses MPH because his other pitches are excellent. I don't know whether or not Jenks is a better clubhouse presence -- I doubt it, but I don't think he's "worse" as neither seems to be a problem (even if Jenks was as a young man) -- but Papelbon's contract demands almost certainly weren't a big deal to his teammates. Most players believe in the trickle-down effect of big contracts, and certainly the agents/union believe it. Besides, Jenks is no gaurantee to "be a presence in you [sic] bullpen for years" because, uh, he has screws in his elbow.

Any argument that says Jenks is better to have than Papelbon is faulty and made from the heart, not the head. And it's silly. Papelbon is greater than Jenks by any measure, and that's not an insult to him.

/cues the "But has he ever retired blah blah blah hitters in a row?!?!?!" non-point

turners56
06-13-2008, 07:05 PM
Yeah and Rik Sutclife was the voice of reason when he told him they gotta remain impartial.

I loved that time when Sutclife was drunk and went into the San Diego studio. He rambled about nonsense forever. It was hilarious.

Madscout
06-13-2008, 07:20 PM
I don't know where you got the idea that Papelbon is a mere flamethrower. He has excellent secondary pitches, and he will be fine as he loses MPH because his other pitches are excellent. I don't know whether or not Jenks is a better clubhouse presence -- I doubt it, but I don't think he's "worse" as neither seems to be a problem (even if Jenks was as a young man) -- but Papelbon's contract demands almost certainly weren't a big deal to his teammates. Most players believe in the trickle-down effect of big contracts, and certainly the agents/union believe it. Besides, Jenks is no gaurantee to "be a presence in you [sic] bullpen for years" because, uh, he has screws in his elbow.

Any argument that says Jenks is better to have than Papelbon is faulty and made from the heart, not the head. And it's silly. Papelbon is greater than Jenks by any measure, and that's not an insult to him.

/cues the "But has he ever retired blah blah blah hitters in a row?!?!?!" non-point

I won't point out the blah blah blah hitters stat, but I will point out the only stats that matter.

102 vs 91 games saved in career Jenks vs Papy

4 vs 4 games saved in post season, Jenks vs. Papy (Papy has had two vs. Jenks's 1)

Mr. White Sox
06-13-2008, 07:30 PM
Papelbitch? Really?

EDIT: Although he does come off as a complete douche.

I prefer Papelsmear.

chaerulez
06-13-2008, 08:14 PM
Papelbon might be the better pitcher than Jenks but he's also the bigger dochue bag.

RadioheadRocks
06-13-2008, 08:19 PM
It's still relatively early in their careers; as far as who is better only time will tell.

fquaye149
06-13-2008, 08:29 PM
I won't point out the blah blah blah hitters stat, but I will point out the only stats that matter.

102 vs 91 games saved in career Jenks vs Papy

4 vs 4 games saved in post season, Jenks vs. Papy (Papy has had two vs. Jenks's 1)

And Papelbon has one less year under his belt as a closer. Take away Jenks's 6 saves in 2005 and you have 96-91. Negligible, especially considering how much better Papelbon's other numbers are.

So yes, you made an excellent argument for why Papelbon is a better relief pitcher. Even though I'm sure that wasn't your intention.

I'm glad we have Jenks, but Papelbon is pretty clearly a better pitcher, and doesn't seem to be waning in his ability to save games the way Bobby is hinting at

Madscout
06-13-2008, 08:39 PM
And Papelbon has one less year under his belt as a closer. Take away Jenks's 6 saves in 2005 and you have 96-91. Negligible, especially considering how much better Papelbon's other numbers are.

So yes, you made an excellent argument for why Papelbon is a better relief pitcher. Even though I'm sure that wasn't your intention.

I'm glad we have Jenks, but Papelbon is pretty clearly a better pitcher, and doesn't seem to be waning in his ability to save games the way Bobby is hinting at
Not negligible if you consider that Papelbon has played on considerably over .500 teams his entire career. Jenks had a 70 win team last year, and he still put up 40 saves, 3 more than a closer who went to the world series. They both get the job done. Both are elite closers.

fquaye149
06-13-2008, 08:58 PM
Not negligible if you consider that Papelbon has played on considerably over .500 teams his entire career. Jenks had a 70 win team last year, and he still put up 40 saves, 3 more than a closer who went to the world series. They both get the job done. Both are elite closers.

Um...ok. You can only pitch as well as you can pitch.

It's not as if Bobby has pitched better than Papelbon. Papelbon DOESN'T have more saves than Bobby--if anything playing for a better team has HURT his save numbers.

I don't have the numbers for save opportunities, but I would suspect they both convert the same proportion of saves.

So you have to look at the other categories. Papelbon gives up much fewer runs than Jenks. Period.

Their save numbers are similar, their K numbers are similar (though Papelbon has the edge) but Papelbon's runs numbers are much much much much much better than Jenks--and unlike Jenks he has been consistently exceptional at not giving up runs (unlike Jenks, who faltered significantly in 2006 and this year in terms of giving up a significant amount of runs)

Jenks has given up 73 R (69 of them ER) in 200.3 innings. Papelbon has given up 42 runs (35 of them ER) in 190 innings. No comparison.

Papelbon has never given up more than 12 R a season (11, 8, 12, in 2005-2007)

Jenks has never given up FEWER than 15 R a season (15, 32, 20 in 2005-2007)

It's really not even close. It's debatable who's having a better year this year, though....I don't have time to look at if Papelbon's 5 UER are inherited runs or the results of errors

Madscout
06-13-2008, 09:25 PM
Um...ok. You can only pitch as well as you can pitch.

It's not as if Bobby has pitched better than Papelbon. Papelbon DOESN'T have more saves than Bobby--if anything playing for a better team has HURT his save numbers.

I don't have the numbers for save opportunities, but I would suspect they both convert the same proportion of saves.

So you have to look at the other categories. Papelbon gives up much fewer runs than Jenks. Period.

Their save numbers are similar, their K numbers are similar (though Papelbon has the edge) but Papelbon's runs numbers are much much much much much better than Jenks--and unlike Jenks he has been consistently exceptional at not giving up runs (unlike Jenks, who faltered significantly in 2006 and this year in terms of giving up a significant amount of runs)

Jenks has given up 73 R (69 of them ER) in 200.3 innings. Papelbon has given up 42 runs (35 of them ER) in 190 innings. No comparison.

Papelbon has never given up more than 12 R a season (11, 8, 12, in 2005-2007)

Jenks has never given up FEWER than 15 R a season (15, 32, 20 in 2005-2007)

It's really not even close. It's debatable who's having a better year this year, though....I don't have time to look at if Papelbon's 5 UER are inherited runs or the results of errors
How many of Bobby's runs have come when he has had to pitch the 8th and the 9th because he didn't have anybody around him that could shut the door? The Red Sox pen was stellar last year, with a quality set-up man in front of Pap. Their pen wasn't that bad in 06 either.

In contrast, the sox pen deteriorated in the second half of 06, when we were trying to find roles for guys with little sucess. 07 was absolute dog ****.

They both shut the door. I don't like ERA in every situation, because it makes it seem as if a pitcher is pitching in a vacuum. I like a pitcher that knows what his job is and does it. To me, they are equal. If you can find me a save percentage that says different, then I'll go with that.

whitesox901
06-13-2008, 09:35 PM

AMEN TO THAT!

fquaye149
06-13-2008, 09:50 PM
How many of Bobby's runs have come when he has had to pitch the 8th and the 9th because he didn't have anybody around him that could shut the door? The Red Sox pen was stellar last year, with a quality set-up man in front of Pap. Their pen wasn't that bad in 06 either.

Jenks only had about 7 extra appearances per year and a similar amount of innings. So I would suggest that that if anything, Papelbon had more multiple inning appearances.

In contrast, the sox pen deteriorated in the second half of 06, when we were trying to find roles for guys with little sucess. 07 was absolute dog ****.

See above

They both shut the door. I don't like ERA in every situation, because it makes it seem as if a pitcher is pitching in a vacuum. I like a pitcher that knows what his job is and does it. To me, they are equal. If you can find me a save percentage that says different, then I'll go with that.

That's why I didn't point out ERA at all.

Saves for Papelbon

2006 35/41
2007 37/40
2008 19/21

Saves for Jenks

2006 41/45
2007 40/46
2008 15/18

comparable. The problem is Jenks's inconsistency. It is what it is. I'm glad Jenks was the one who won us a WS because Papelbon's a punkass, but then again, I see a lot more consistency and dominance from Papelbon over the last 3 years, and Papelbon hasn't lost much velocity or seen a decline in stats this year (although, I really really am curious why he has 6 UER...I guess I could check out the gamelogs, but I'm tired)

TheOldRoman
06-14-2008, 12:21 AM
I never wish injury on anyone, but I would like to see Papelbon take 5-10 line drives off the groin. He is a huge douche bag.