PDA

View Full Version : Kenny Lofton to the Sox?

Law11
06-13-2008, 10:58 AM
ESPN is reporting in its daily MLB rumbligs that the Sox have inquired about KL but he's looking for 2.5-3 mil and the Sox have a different number in mind.

Thoughts..

Rocky Soprano
06-13-2008, 10:59 AM
Where is he going to play?

We dont need Lofton.
What's next? A phone call to the Alomar bros?

MCHSoxFan
06-13-2008, 11:00 AM

We dont need Lofton.

You said it!

hi im skot
06-13-2008, 11:01 AM
This doesn't even remotely make sense.

MCHSoxFan
06-13-2008, 11:03 AM
This doesn't even remotely make sense.

No. No it doesn't.

turners56
06-13-2008, 11:03 AM
Unless there is an injury to a regular, this deal doesn't make sense. Although we did see what Kenny Lofton did for the Indians last year.

spiffie
06-13-2008, 11:04 AM
This can only mean Carl Everett is soon to follow.

thedudeabides
06-13-2008, 11:05 AM
I'm thinking this should be in the clubhouse. Anyway, I can't see any way this happens. He wasn't very well liked the first time around.

turners56
06-13-2008, 11:06 AM

The amount of prospects Kenny wasted on Carl and Roberto was sickening. Good thing none of them turned out to be any good and Everett actually helped the Sox win the Series in 05.

MeteorsSox4367
06-13-2008, 11:07 AM
Wasn't there just a similar thread about Lofton last week or two weeks ago? Anyway, as for signing Lofton, thanks but no. I'd rather see Mackowiak misplaying flyballs into triples than see Lofton back.

Maybe Kenny can put a call into Jeff Abbott's people and see how he's doing.

thedudeabides
06-13-2008, 11:07 AM
Cool that was my 1,000 post. Although a lot of them shouldn't count considering they were either uninformed, useless to the discussion, or just plain dumb.

MCHSoxFan
06-13-2008, 11:08 AM
I'm thinking this should be in the clubhouse. Anyway, I can't see any way this happens. He wasn't very well liked the first time around.

This IS in the Clubhouse section.

palehozenychicty
06-13-2008, 11:08 AM
No. Please no. :o:

voodoochile
06-13-2008, 11:09 AM
This IS in the Clubhouse section.

Not anymore...

MCHSoxFan
06-13-2008, 11:09 AM
Not anymore...

I knew you were gonna move it to WTS! :D:

soxpride724
06-13-2008, 11:35 AM
Pass on Lofton, we have jerry Owens in Charlotte.

VeeckAsInWreck
06-13-2008, 11:41 AM
ESPN is reporting in its daily MLB rumbligs that the Sox have inquired about KL but he's looking for 2.5-3 mil and the Sox have a different number in mind.

Thoughts..

This is what Kenny Lofton is worth to the White Sox

http://www.mountainelectric.com/Pocket.jpg

The Kenny Lofton experience on the south side didn't work in 2002, why would it help now?

guillen4life13
06-13-2008, 11:46 AM
This is what Kenny Lofton is worth to the White Sox

http://www.mountainelectric.com/Pocket.jpg

The Kenny Lofton experience on the south side didn't work in 2002, why would it help now?

Because our second best starting pitcher in 2002 was supposed to be Todd Ritchie. Lofton wasn't the reason the 2002 wasn't that good.

VeeckAsInWreck
06-13-2008, 11:59 AM
Because our second best starting pitcher in 2002 was supposed to be Todd Ritchie. Lofton wasn't the reason the 2002 wasn't that good.

You're right it wasn't Lofton's fault the 2002 season was bad. Many other players were responsible for that. But let's not go down that part of memory lane now.

If Lofton brings his asking price down then I'd be willing to take a chance on him but then what happens with our outfield? Who sits to make room for Lofton?

hi im skot
06-13-2008, 12:01 PM

Now that I could support!

ode to veeck
06-13-2008, 12:22 PM
Lofton's asking way too much for his services. When he's healthy, he can be a real spark plug, as he was in early '02 for the Sox, but then he was not healthy and still trying to play and the offense after mid may just sucked with or without him (while they had been leading the league is the 1st 1/4 of season or so). A bona fide leadoff would be a nice thing to have on the bench, as it compliments the rest of the South Side Lumber co. really well, Pods healthy and with confidence was another good example of strong leadoff really getting the fast ball long ball hitting Sox O ouut the chute. As for Kenny, he needs to be realistic on salary and be happy to play somehwere and he's gonna stay with Barriods in limbo.

fquaye149
06-13-2008, 12:37 PM

We dont need Lofton.

CF
:scratch:

Kenny Lofton at leadoff
Cabrera
Quentin
Dye

:shrug:

I'm not saying we ought to do it, but "where would he play"?

It's not like he had a particularly awful year last year. Actually he had about as good a year as Roberts, minus a few SB's

http://www.baseball-reference.com/l/loftoke01.shtml

doublem23
06-13-2008, 12:43 PM
CF
:scratch:

Kenny Lofton at leadoff
Cabrera
Quentin
Dye

:shrug:

I'm not saying we ought to do it, but "where would he play"?

It's not like he had a particularly awful year last year. Actually he had about as good a year as Roberts, minus a few SB's

http://www.baseball-reference.com/l/loftoke01.shtml

I think he meant more who sits if we sign Lofton?

turners56
06-13-2008, 12:49 PM

That's the question I posed too.

Lofton's numbers last year were great, it really wouldn't hurt to sign him at a cheaper price. And btw, the dude is better than Owens, even in his late 30s. Maybe this is the leadoff hitter the White Sox needed. Who knows. :shrug:. A consistent offense always has a good leadoff hitter.

munchman33
06-13-2008, 12:53 PM
Pass on Lofton, we have jerry Owens in Charlotte.

There are a number of reasons to pass on Lofton, from age to contract demand, but Jerry Owens is NOT one of those reasons. Lofton at 40+ is better than Jerry Owens at any age.

fquaye149
06-13-2008, 01:00 PM

Move Swisher to supersub and let people like Dye, Quentin, Thome, and Konerko get periodic rests.

This isn't 2005, where there was literally no place to put Griffey. There is plenty of room for an OF who, despite being older than we might like, has still shown he can hit and play the outfield

06-13-2008, 01:17 PM
Move Swisher to supersub and let people like Dye, Quentin, Thome, and Konerko get periodic rests.

This isn't 2005, where there was literally no place to put Griffey. There is plenty of room for an OF who, despite being older than we might like, has still shown he can hit and play the outfield

Excellent point. In fact Guillen stated a few days ago, now that the weather's warming up, expect to see more playing time for the bench guys.

I guess the main issue still remains who would they drop from the roster? They seem to like a 12 man pitching staff. That leaves Uribe, Ozuna, or Anderson ... unless someone is DL'd.

KenBerryGrab
06-13-2008, 01:19 PM
Kenny is well-known for his great attitude.

fquaye149
06-13-2008, 01:21 PM
Excellent point. In fact Guillen stated a few days ago, now that the weather's warming up, expect to see more playing time for the bench guys.

I guess the main issue still remains who would they drop from the roster? They seem to like a 12 man pitching staff. That leaves Uribe, Ozuna, or Anderson ... unless someone is DL'd.

as much as I like Anderson, if Lofton were signed, he could probably move Anderson to AAA until we had a gauge if Lofton would be effective in CF.

I don't think that would be the end of the world

thedudeabides
06-13-2008, 01:39 PM
as much as I like Anderson, if Lofton were signed, he could probably move Anderson to AAA until we had a gauge if Lofton would be effective in CF.

I don't think that would be the end of the world

First off, I don't understand the constant talk about Swisher being a supersub? (not that it came from you fquaye).

I rarely agree with them, but your different point of view is always fun.

Your now on my ignore list.

whitesoxfan
06-13-2008, 01:55 PM

Took the words right out of my mouth.

I'd be for this. He's always been a 2nd half player as well.

cbrownson13
06-13-2008, 01:55 PM
Why in the world would we get Kenny Lofton? Jerry Owens offers the same damn thing at a much lower price and isn't a known problem in the clubhouse.

turners56
06-13-2008, 02:01 PM
Why in the world would we get Kenny Lofton? Jerry Owens offers the same damn thing at a much lower price and isn't a known problem in the clubhouse.

Jerry Owens didn't hit .296 with a .370 OBP last year now did he?

veeter
06-13-2008, 02:23 PM

I don't think that would be the end of the worldI agree. This rumor might show that KW can't stand the bi-polar ride, the offense takes us on, either. So if not Lofton, somebody may be coming. As far as who to send down or get rid of, we just might need Juan. Cabrera's ankle has been sore. And if anything happened to him, I'd like Juan for defense at short or second. I wouldn't mind seeing OC rest a little anyway, despite him playing great ball.

veeter
06-13-2008, 02:24 PM
Why in the world would we get Kenny Lofton? Jerry Owens offers the same damn thing at a much lower price and isn't a known problem in the clubhouse.Down the stretch, Lofton's experience makes him a much, much more viable option.

soxpride724
06-13-2008, 02:33 PM
After reading some other posts I have changed my stance on Lofton. I wouldn't consider it a bad move, as Owens might just need more time in AAA. I just don't know who they would plan to ship down or place on the DL.

VeeckAsInWreck
06-13-2008, 02:37 PM
After reading some other posts I have changed my stance on Lofton. I wouldn't consider it a bad move, as Owens might just need more time in AAA. I just don't know who they would plan to ship down or place on the DL.

I hate to say this but Brian Anderson would be the odd man out. Do you really think KW would send Swisher to AAA? The only way for BA to be on the big league club with Kenny Lofton around would be if TCQ or Dye went on the DL.

soxpride724
06-13-2008, 02:40 PM
I hate to say this but Brian Anderson would be the odd man out. Do you really think KW would send Swisher to AAA? The only way for BA to be on the big league club with Kenny Lofton around would be if TCQ or Dye went on the DL.

No way they send Swisher to AAA. I like Brian Anderson for his defensive skills late in the game, but would take Loftons OBP over BA's defense.

turners56
06-13-2008, 02:50 PM

Uribe is the odd man out I would say. Swisher is versatile enough to be a infielder. Pablo and Alexei are versatile as well, so if Orlando was to go down with injury, Alexei can move over to short and Pablo can play 2nd. Anderson can stay, Uribe hasn't played a game in what seems like 30 days.

fquaye149
06-13-2008, 02:58 PM
First off, I don't understand the constant talk about Swisher being a supersub? (not that it came from you fquaye).

I rarely agree with them, but your different point of view is always fun.

Your now on my ignore list.

It doesn't seem to me that Swisher plays CF all that well. However, he CAN play 4 different positions (plus DH). That means that although I don't think he demands to have a regular position, that his versatility allows us to use him in the lineup every day.

Imagine we got Lofton somehow. This would be a pretty nice situation

Day 1: OF of Quentin, Lofton, Dye, Konerko at 1B, Thome DH
Day 2: OF of Quentin, Lofton, Dye, Konerko at 1B, Swisher DH (against a lefty?)
Day 3: OF of Quentin, Lofton, Swisher, Konerko at 1B, Thome DH)
Day 4: OF of Quentin, Swisher, Dye, Konerko at 1B, Thome DH
Day 5: OF of Swisher, Lofton, Dye, Konerko at 1B, Quentin DH
Day 6: OF of Quentin, Lofton, Dye, Swisher at 1B, Thome DH
Day 7: OFF

Everybody gets a day off, once a week, but the lineup's never missing more than one of our regular players.

It coudl be nice. Then again, it might be a bad idea. that's the reason why there's lots of supersub talk--Swisher's pretty versatile, AND he isn't hitting so well that you have to say "don't get him out of his groove". If anything playing around the ballpark might shake him up a little.

The Immigrant
06-13-2008, 02:58 PM
Uribe is the odd man out I would say.

Uribe is a sunk cost but provides insurance in case of an injury. Anderson becomes the 5th outfielder if Lofton is signed, and that's too much of a luxury on a 25-man roster.

VeeckAsInWreck
06-13-2008, 03:17 PM
Uribe is the odd man out I would say. Swisher is versatile enough to be a infielder. Pablo and Alexei are versatile as well, so if Orlando was to go down with injury, Alexei can move over to short and Pablo can play 2nd. Anderson can stay, Uribe hasn't played a game in what seems like 30 days.

What other infield positions can he play besides 1B? I'm sorry but BA is the odd man out. There is no need for a team to have 5 outfielders.

turners56
06-13-2008, 03:58 PM
What other infield positions can he play besides 1B? I'm sorry but BA is the odd man out. There is no need for a team to have 5 outfielders.

That's the only position he can play on the IF, but it's still a infield position. I'm saying Uribe is really worthless to the team right now. At least Anderson is a good defensive replacement. All Uribe can do is play D, but there's two guys in Ramirez and Cabrera who are better than him at their respective positions on defense and offense.

munchman33
06-13-2008, 04:02 PM

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=1926437#post1926437

VeeckAsInWreck
06-13-2008, 04:08 PM
That's the only position he can play on the IF, but it's still a infield position. I'm saying Uribe is really worthless to the team right now. At least Anderson is a good defensive replacement. All Uribe can do is play D, but there's two guys in Ramirez and Cabrera who are better than him at their respective positions on defense and offense.

Brian Anderson is on this team for that reason too. Me saying that BA is the odd man out is not to slight him in any way. The only reason Uribe stays and Anderson goes is because of the positions they play. If the Sox were planning on signing a veteran infielder who could get on base then I'd be with you in saying that Uribe is the odd man out. But in this hypothetical instance BA would have to keep sharp in Charlotte.

High Mileage
06-13-2008, 04:10 PM
I really think Lofton should just be happy he's getting a call, and sign for whatever he is offered. Doesn't seem like he's in much of a position to be making demands...

voodoochile
06-13-2008, 04:13 PM
I really think Lofton should just be happy he's getting a call, and sign for whatever he is offered. Doesn't seem like he's in much of a position to be making demands...

Really? So maybe someone has their starting CF go down with an injury in the next few months and is willing to add a few million to the Sox offer and prorated it comes out to a lot more money. Why would he rush for peanuts now?

turners56
06-13-2008, 04:13 PM
Brian Anderson is on this team for that reason too. Me saying that BA is the odd man out is not to slight him in any way. The only reason Uribe stays and Anderson goes is because of the positions they play. If the Sox were planning on signing a veteran infielder who could get on base then I'd be with you in saying that Uribe is the odd man out. But in this hypothetical instance BA would have to keep sharp in Charlotte.

Brian can actually hit above .200 this season, Juan is not keeping up his part of the deal at .198.

turners56
06-13-2008, 04:15 PM

If that's the case, why don't we give Barry Bonds a call? Most likely, these guys are either going after records or some extra money, I really don't think they enjoy playing as much as they did 20 years ago, due to their obviously old age. You still need to give these jobless players a good amount of money, they won't jump on your ship for free obviously.

VeeckAsInWreck
06-13-2008, 04:21 PM
Brian can actually hit above .200 this season, Juan is not keeping up his part of the deal at .198.

Again, I'm not doggin' Brian. I'm just saying that IF Lofton were to join the team he would be the one to go because there is no way that a team carries 5 OF's. It's like carrying three catchers. Unless Swisher starts taking infield practice at 2B, SS and 3B then there is no way that BA stays no matter how good his D and his .253 AVG is.

munchman33
06-13-2008, 04:22 PM

Yeah, they'll go back and forth like that the whole year, too. They're beoth .220 hitters.

VeeckAsInWreck
06-13-2008, 04:23 PM
If that's the case, why don't we give Barry Bonds a call? Most likely, these guys are either going after records or some extra money, I really don't think they enjoy playing as much as they did 20 years ago, due to their obviously old age. You still need to give these jobless players a good amount of money, they won't jump on your ship for free obviously.

Barry's not getting a call because he's not a CF who can get on base and lead off. That's what the Sox need, this offense has gone the whole season without a "true" leadoff hitter. The one we used to have will be wearing a Rockies uniform tonight.

turners56
06-13-2008, 04:23 PM
Again, I'm not doggin' Brian. I'm just saying that IF Lofton were to join the team he would be the one to go because there is no way that a team carries 5 OF's. It's like carrying three catchers. Unless Swisher starts taking infield practice at 2B, SS and 3B then there is no way that BA stays no matter how good his D and his .253 AVG is.

The Angels have 5 OFers...

Guerrero, Hunter, Matthews, Anderson, and Rivera.

turners56
06-13-2008, 04:25 PM
Barry's not getting a call because he's not a CF who can get on base and lead off. That's what the Sox need, this offense has gone the whole season without a "true" leadoff hitter. The one we used to have will be wearing a Rockies uniform tonight.

That wasn't my point, my point was talking about the guy who said Lofton should come here on minimum wage and that he should be happy we're even calling him.

High Mileage
06-13-2008, 04:25 PM
Really? So maybe someone has their starting CF go down with an injury in the next few months and is willing to add a few million to the Sox offer and prorated it comes out to a lot more money. Why would he rush for peanuts now?

We're almost 70 games into the season. If somebody has an OF go down, they are plenty of options, not just Kenny Lofton.

voodoochile
06-13-2008, 04:30 PM
We're almost 70 games into the season. If somebody has an OF go down, they are plenty of options, not just Kenny Lofton.

Well, that's your opinion. His is different. Also as the pennant race shakes out a team might want to add some speed and a veteran bat off the bench, especially if they aren't that deep in the OF.

jcw218
06-13-2008, 08:02 PM
The Angels have 5 OFers...

Guerrero, Hunter, Matthews, Anderson, and Rivera.

Yes the Angels might have 5 OFers...but one of them usually is the dh for the game.

Maybe Thome would be the odd man out

Nellie_Fox
06-14-2008, 01:45 AM
... btw, the dude is better than Owens, even in his late 30s.He's 41. Pass.

WhiteSox5187
06-14-2008, 01:57 AM
He's 41. Pass.
I agree. The guy isn't the base stealing threat he once was. He might still be able to hit a bit and get on, but don't fool yourselves into thinking that he'll be akin to what Pods was in '05. His best days are behind him.

Dick Cutter
06-14-2008, 02:33 AM
lookie here:

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/player?categoryId=85346

News: Podsednik might be traded to the Cubs, the Denver Post reports. [- (javascript:playerImpact();)]
Impact: The North Siders need some outfield help, with an unsettled center field situation and an injury to their starting left fielder (Alfonso Soriano). Podsednik is buried on the Rockies' bench, so a trade would be good for his fantasy value.

I'd rather have him back on the South Side...

Nellie_Fox
06-14-2008, 03:52 AM
I'd rather have him back on the South Side...In place of whom?

hose
06-14-2008, 08:43 AM
If Lofton does come to the Sox he should DH and lead off.

In the bigger ball parks have BA play center, move Swish to first , Paulie to DH and Lofton on the bench for a pinch running role.

Bench Thome for the most part and let him walk after the season ends. I don't want the Sox tied into Thome's option for next season based on '08 abs.

fquaye149
06-14-2008, 10:03 AM
He's 41. Pass.

But at the age of 40 he played in 130 games, almost had 500 AB, played the OF well, hit .296 with 7 HR, 25 2B, 6 3B, walked 56 times while only striking out 51 times, and stole 23 bases.

He's not the ideal choice, but he could be a good leadoff hitter (about as good as Brian Roberts, give or take a few points here or there) if he's close to as good as he was last year.

If Kenny goes and checks him out and he looks to be still spry, why not?

The Immigrant
06-14-2008, 10:24 AM
If Kenny goes and checks him out and he looks to be still spry, why not?

Because he's a jagoff? :dunno:

russ99
06-14-2008, 10:31 AM

Seriously, he burned every bridge when he was here. I seriously doubt Kenny would want him back after that experience, plus he's much older now.

Pods on the north side would absolutely kill me.

fquaye149
06-14-2008, 10:35 AM

Fair enough :shrug:

Frater Perdurabo
06-15-2008, 08:08 AM
If Lofton does come to the Sox he should DH and lead off.

Yes, I think that's the way to go. And I'd keep BA in CF four games per week.

hose
06-15-2008, 09:06 AM
Yes, I think that's the way to go. And I'd keep BA in CF four games per week.

The Sox have to address the lead off spot , might as well give Lofton a shot....not many other options .....:(:

TomBradley72
06-15-2008, 01:40 PM
The Sox have to address the lead off spot , might as well give Lofton a shot....not many other options .....:(:

I'd take Pods over Lofton. Assuming it wouldn't take a whole lot to get him.

getonbckthr
06-15-2008, 01:45 PM
I'd take Pods over Lofton. Assuming it wouldn't take a whole lot to get him.
Well pros/Cons:
PROS
Pods: younger, cheaper $$$ wise, good clubhouse guy
K-LO: free agent, solid OF'r
CONS
Pods: defensive concern, would cost us talent, injury concern
K-LO: Rather expensive, clubhouse concerns, older

High Mileage
06-15-2008, 03:50 PM
What did Lofton do when he was with the Sox?

VeeckAsInWreck
06-16-2008, 11:15 AM

From what I remember he played on an underachieving White Sox team in 2002 and got traded to the eventual NL Champion Giants at the trade deadline. Perhaps there was some bad stuff that my memory has to decided to block. :scratch:

btrain929
06-16-2008, 11:30 AM
I still want Reggie Willits.

chisoxmike
06-16-2008, 11:34 AM

Wasn't Lofton one of the players that said "We're basically playing for pride now."?

That '02 team was a disaster. They were predicted to run away with the central and at the end of May, they were swept by the Yankees at home that started a nose dive from first place. The rest of that season was some of the biggest uninspired baseball I didn't see until last year.