PDA

View Full Version : AL Central: War of Attrition

infohawk
06-12-2008, 11:21 PM
In what may bode well for the Sox, it looks like the AL Central may become a contest to see which team can stay the most healthy.

The Tigers have lost Bonderman and Sheffield for some time. Dontrelle Willis didn't pan out this year, and is now in the minors.

The Indians have lost two starting pitchers to the DL, as well as Travis Hafner and Victor Martinez, the team leader in batting average.

Bottom line? These player losses will really hurt the Tigers and Indians as the season wears on. The Tigers may have swept this series from the Sox, but I don't expect them to turn anything around without 2/3 of their expected starting rotation and a so-so bullpen. I know Zumaya and Rodney are expected back, but it's unlikely that those two are going to be lights out right away. The Tigers need to slug the ball to win consistently, and I don't think they can do it with enough regularity over 3 1/2 months to overcome very mediocre pitching. Same for the Indians, and they haven't been able to hit yet.

I still think the biggest threat to the Sox is the Twins, and I'm not overly worried about them. They have a young and inexperienced starting rotation, as well as several offensively weak players in their lineup. On top of that, they don't play defense like the Twins we're used to seeing.

If the Sox pitching can stay healthy and consistent, I think they'll be playing in October regardless of the streaky offense.

gosox41
06-12-2008, 11:33 PM
If the Sox pitching can stay healthy and consistent, I think they'll be playing in October regardless of the streaky offense.

The consistent part is a big 'if'.

And if hit another dry spell for an extended period like we did in May, I think were screwed.

Bob

High Mileage
06-12-2008, 11:44 PM
Kansas City...?

btrain929
06-12-2008, 11:52 PM
Kansas City...?

.....is located in Missouri?

whitesox901
06-12-2008, 11:54 PM
agreed, the sox's division is thiers to lose

Noneck
06-12-2008, 11:57 PM

Also one in Kansas.

TommyJohn
06-13-2008, 12:13 AM

Everything's up-to-date there, so I understand.

voodoochile
06-13-2008, 12:18 AM
Everything's up-to-date there, so I understand.

I don't believe you, show me...

LoveYourSuit
06-13-2008, 12:37 AM
The AL Central... from the hype it was to now the battle of the healthiest tallest midget.

FireMariotti
06-13-2008, 12:52 AM
I think this month and the first week and a half of July will decide if the Sox are contenders or pretenders (sorry if that sounds too "ESPN").

6 of the next 7 series are in Chicago. Playing at home in the hot weather should spur some offense. If it doesn't, they're screwed. The pitching has been stellar, but one cannot realistically expect another long stretch of quality starts in the Cell under the hot sun.

I hate to admit it, but the two crosstown series coming up will say a lot about the state of the Sox. It has little to do with the fact that we are playing the Cubs. It has much more to do with the fact that we will be playing arguably the best team in baseball that can score runs in a hurry at home. The Sox will find out if their outstanding pitching staff (FEWEST RUNS SCORED IN THE MLB) can shut down a team that has scored more runs than anybody.

After July 6th, the end of this aforementioned stretch of games, if the Sox still hold a comfortable lead in the division (4-5 games at least), I'll feel very good about where they are at. If the Sox let anyone catch them or just implode, I cannot realistically expect them to make a run at another title. Let's hope that this past series in Detroit does not foreshadow what is to come.

High Mileage
06-13-2008, 01:30 AM
I'm hoping my Royals will make a run back towards .500, but if not, I'm looking forward to another top pick next year...:D:

Nellie_Fox
06-13-2008, 01:36 AM
The AL Central... from the hype it was to now the battle of the healthiest tallest midget.The "tallest midget" thing has just about been run into the ground.

gobears1987
06-13-2008, 02:52 AM
Herm Schneider could very well be a huge part of the difference as he seems to keep the players healthy.

gobears1987
06-13-2008, 02:53 AM
I'm hoping my Royals will make a run back towards .500, but if not, I'm looking forward to another top pick next year...:D:Just don't send us any more of your washed up relievers.:tongue:

(Clarification: Dotel is fine, It's Sisco and MacDougal that I'm not fond of)

LoveYourSuit
06-13-2008, 02:58 AM
The "tallest midget" thing has just about been run into the ground.

OK, then sensor it?

FireMariotti
06-13-2008, 03:01 AM
I'm hoping my Royals will make a run back towards .500, but if not, I'm looking forward to another top pick next year...:D:

:welcome:
Glad to see the Royals still have one supporter out there.:tongue:
I'm kidding of course. The Royals are my second most tolerable team in the AL next to the Sox. That has little to do with their recent futility, and much more to do with their stadium and fans, both of which are very classy.

I'm sorry to say that I don't think your Royals will do much this season. They looked competitive through May, but it seems to be falling apart right now. Anyways, here's to you and all the other die hards down there in KC country:gulp:.

Nellie_Fox
06-13-2008, 03:29 AM
OK, then sensor it?Where did I say anything about censoring it? If I had wanted to censor it, I would have.

I just think it's lame and tired.

High Mileage
06-13-2008, 03:41 AM
Just don't send us any more of your washed up relievers.:tongue:

(Clarification: Dotel is fine, It's Sisco and MacDougal that I'm not fond of)
We're glad they're gone, although I'm not real fond of Ross Gload...

Glad to see the Royals still have one supporter out there.:tongue:
I'm kidding of course. The Royals are my second most tolerable team in the AL next to the Sox. That has little to do with their recent futility, and much more to do with their stadium and fans, both of which are very classy.

I'm sorry to say that I don't think your Royals will do much this season. They looked competitive through May, but it seems to be falling apart right now. Anyways, heres to you and all the other die hards down their in KC country:gulp:.
Yes times are indeed tough. Ownership is finally spending some money, and we finally have somebody with some baseball knowledge running the show. I suppose as long as they don't lose 100 games we fans should just be happy. And Boulevard coming along as a sponsor has just added to the reason to drink during games... :gulp:

Bucky F. Dent
06-13-2008, 07:52 AM
The consistent part is a big 'if'.

And if hit another dry spell for an extended period like we did in May, I think were screwed.

Bob

That's where I think that having a veteran like Loaiza (assuming Coop can get his head together) sitting in the 'pen will really help. If Gavin or Danks starts to lose it, put them in the pen for a week at let Loaiza take their starts.

I think the Central is ours for the taking, but I would like to see us take it "going away" otherwise we could end up looking as foolish in the first round of the playoffs as our little friends to the North did last fall.:(:

EDIT::::Just read the thread related to the Loaiza release.......never mind.

Bucky F. Dent
06-13-2008, 07:59 AM
Let's hope that this past series in Detroit does not foreshadow what is to come.

I am not too worried about the foreshadowing of this week's series. We were due to hit another rough patch.

I suspect that Leyland had a fairly animated "Come to Jesus" meeting with the members of his team after they were embarassed by the tribe earlier this week.

As good as Leyland is, there are too many missing parts on that squad for him to be able to will them to wins for the remainder of the season.