PDA

View Full Version : New guy, Royals fan...

High Mileage
06-12-2008, 11:09 PM
Be kind, please. Hard to believe now that my team was once 21-22. Anyways ventured over here a while back, just been lurking. The latest outburst by Ozzie caught my attention, and I've been watching the Sox a little closer lately. I've always been a fan of Crede, Konerko, and Frank Thomas. Oh, and Eight Men Out is my favorite baseball movie. I used to think I hated the White Sox, but now I have come to realize it is just the "Hawk" and his partner. Anyways thought I'd introduce myself...

ComiskeyBrewer
06-12-2008, 11:13 PM
Welcome. I'm a Brewers fan first(so i understand the pain you feel for your fanchise), and a Sox fan second. You guys have much flooding down by you?

DSpivack
06-12-2008, 11:16 PM
Welcome! The Royals are the only other AL Central team I can stand. :tongue:

That said, I do love me some Arthur Bryant's and KC Masterpiece.

High Mileage
06-12-2008, 11:20 PM
Welcome. I'm a Brewers fan first(so i understand the pain you feel for your fanchise), and a Sox fan second. You guys have much flooding down by you?

Damn you, I'm still pissed that we passed up on the chance to go to the NL!!! I'm actually in Salina, Kansas about 200 miles straight west of KC on I-70 (pretty much smack dab in the middle of KS). We had tornados everywhere around here, but only 1 did anything and it was at the very South part of town, didn't do much damage. The storm (and tornado(es) moved East though and completely destroyed Chapman, a small town about 20 miles to the east, and then hit Manhattan (K-State) and did some damage there as well. No flooding here.

Nellie_Fox
06-13-2008, 01:41 AM
Welcome. Just don't troll, and you'll find yourself among friends.

You'll find lots of people here who agree with your Hawk hate. I'm not among them, but they are plentiful.

High Mileage
06-13-2008, 03:44 AM
Welcome. Just don't troll, and you'll find yourself among friends.

You'll find lots of people here who agree with your Hawk hate. I'm not among them, but they are plentiful.
Yeah I definately come in peace. We have WGN here, and growing up I watched alot of Cubs and White Sox, and I always seemed to have a hatred for the Sox. Never knew why, then I watched a game against the Twins earlier this year, and I realized it was the TV analysts. I despise them more than the Braves crew...

WSox597
06-13-2008, 06:57 AM
Welcome aboard.

And you'll find quite a few people here who feel the two TV analysts have worn out their welcome.

I'm tired of Harrelson especially.

I've always had kind of a soft spot for the Royals, except for Hal Macrae (sp?), after the White Sox. They normally play the Sox pretty tough, too.

Like somebody else said, the Royals are the only other team in the division I don't hate.

DumpJerry
06-13-2008, 08:35 AM
The Royals have fans? Just kidding. I know some myself. Yeah, the other three.......

:welcome:

Can you teach Tiger and Twins fans how to behave? They're the most annoying ones to deal with. Royals fans never cause us to exercise our anger management skills at the ballpark.

MeteorsSox4367
06-13-2008, 11:24 AM
Welcome.

The Royals are my second-favorite AL team and George Brett was my favorite non-Sox player when I was a kid. I also have a 16x20 picture of Brett signed and framed hanging in my house.

In addition, KU is my favorite college team and the Chiefs are solidly in my NFL top eight.

As for the current Royals, your team plays in a beautiful ballpark and I think Alex Gordon is going to be a helluva player.

turners56
06-13-2008, 11:30 AM
Whatever you do, just don't act like Timberwolf and it'll be all good.

Thome25
06-13-2008, 11:53 AM
Welcome!! Glad to have ya!! As a side note, what is with all of the Hawk hate from the fans of opposing teams? There's alot of disdain for Hawk on the Tigers message board as well.

VeeckAsInWreck
06-13-2008, 12:11 PM
Welcome! I've been to Kauffman a couple of times. It's a nice ballpark but as a visiting fan I was not treated in the nicest way. :rolleyes: But it's cool I won't hold that against you.

If you want to talk baseball with passionate and knowledgeable people then you came to the right place. Don't let some of the crazies here scare you but it's all good.

I do have to ask, why do you hate Hawk? :scratch: I don't mean to hijack the thread but I'm curious.

I like Hawk and don't see or hear what the problem is. I know he gets ripped for being a "homer" but that's who he broadcasts for. It'd be one thing if he was a national broadcaster but he works for the White Sox and that's who he wants to see win. OK, I'm off my Hawk soap box now. :redface:

turners56
06-13-2008, 12:53 PM
Welcome! I've been to Kauffman a couple of times. It's a nice ballpark but as a visiting fan I was not treated in the nicest way. :rolleyes: But it's cool I won't hold that against you.

If you want to talk baseball with passionate and knowledgeable people then you came to the right place. Don't let some of the crazies here scare you but it's all good.

I do have to ask, why do you hate Hawk? :scratch: I don't mean to hijack the thread but I'm curious.

I like Hawk and don't see or hear what the problem is. I know he gets ripped for being a "homer" but that's who he broadcasts for. It'd be one thing if he was a national broadcaster but he works for the White Sox and that's who he wants to see win. OK, I'm off my Hawk soap box now. :redface:

I wonder if people hate the Cubs because of Ron Santo...

VeeckAsInWreck
06-13-2008, 01:52 PM

That's probably the reason WGN keeps Santo in the radio booth as opposed to TV.

ComiskeyBrewer
06-13-2008, 01:54 PM
Damn you, I'm still pissed that we passed up on the chance to go to the NL!!! I'm actually in Salina, Kansas about 200 miles straight west of KC on I-70 (pretty much smack dab in the middle of KS). We had tornados everywhere around here, but only 1 did anything and it was at the very South part of town, didn't do much damage. The storm (and tornado(es) moved East though and completely destroyed Chapman, a small town about 20 miles to the east, and then hit Manhattan (K-State) and did some damage there as well. No flooding here.

Yea, I never understood why they passed over that chance. BTW, i can't wait to go to your team's park in the next few years(my fiance's grandparents live in a small town 20 mins north of Lawrence, in Oskaloosa). It looks really nice.

soxpride724
06-13-2008, 02:28 PM
As most of the other posters have already said, the Royals are the one team I don't hate in this division. I can honestly say that I've never had a run in with a Royals fan....yet:smile:

jdm2662
06-13-2008, 02:34 PM
Be kind, please. Hard to believe now that my team was once 21-22. Anyways ventured over here a while back, just been lurking. The latest outburst by Ozzie caught my attention, and I've been watching the Sox a little closer lately. I've always been a fan of Crede, Konerko, and Frank Thomas. Oh, and Eight Men Out is my favorite baseball movie. I used to think I hated the White Sox, but now I have come to realize it is just the "Hawk" and his partner. Anyways thought I'd introduce myself...

Welcome to WSI. And, not too worry, there are plenty of people here who can't stand Hawk. I'm one of them. The mute button is your friend when you watch a Sox game.

soxpride724
06-13-2008, 02:37 PM
Welcome to WSI. And, not too worry, there are plenty of people here who can't stand Hawk. I'm one of them. The mute button is your friend when you watch a Sox game.

No doubt, I usually turn off the volume and turn on the Score.

High Mileage
06-13-2008, 04:23 PM
Welcome!! Glad to have ya!! As a side note, what is with all of the Hawk hate from the fans of opposing teams? There's alot of disdain for Hawk on the Tigers message board as well.

I would have to say it's gems like "He GONE", "They GONE", "Put it on the BOAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRDDDD........YYYYYYYYYESSSSSSSS S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Until this year, we didn't get many more Royals games here than we do Braves, or Cubs/White Sox.

As far as Kauffman Stadium, I can't wait for opening day next year, when the $250 million dollars worth of renovations and upgrades are complete. They are adding seating near the fountains, and hopefully bringing the fences in a bit...

http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/images/2007/08/25/jy4HQepF.jpg

More: http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/kc/ballpark/renovations.jsp

ondafarm
06-13-2008, 04:52 PM
I'm actually a fan of Trey Hillman. He was just starting in Japan when I was just finishing up so he actually offerred me a job. We've been in touch a few times since then and he's even offerred me tickets when his team comes to town. Since I'm related to a season ticket holder at USCF and on good terms with her, I don't really worry about that. Trey's guys have been improving and are not push overs anymore, but are prone to extended down periods.

Not that I root against the White Sox, but I can appreciate what the opposing manager is doing. Besides, last year Trey's Japanese team went up against my former team in the JPBC, and you can guess who I rooted for there.

Nellie_Fox
06-14-2008, 01:08 AM
... hopefully bringing the fences in a bit...
I wish someone would move their fences out. American baseball is being negatively impacted by everybody swinging for the fences. I'd like to see some ballparks that would cause the little guys to look at the dimensions and say "no way" and choke up on the bat and look to place the ball. Whatever happened to "place hitters?"

johnnyg83
06-14-2008, 01:23 AM
Kaufmann did moves their fences out -- in 06 IIRC.

The Peanut -- 50th & MAIN -- best sandwich I've ever had. The Triple BLT --- sensational. Screw BBQ -- get the GD BLT.

chisoxfanatic
06-14-2008, 01:42 AM
Hey, High Mileage! I recognize your name from your Royals forum you post at. I am registered as ChicagoGirl over there. Welcome to WSI...this is a great form to be a part of.

hsnterprize
06-14-2008, 10:13 AM
Welcome to the jungle. Your standard-issue vines you'll need to swing from your ceiling will arrive after you complete your 90-day probationary period. After that, you'll need the vines to swing yourself back to sanity after some of the posts you read here. :D::D::D::D::D:

Anyway, we're glad you're here. Like other posters said, as long as you don't troll, you're among friends. We're very passionate about our team, and we're unapologetic about it. Your Royals are on an upswing, and the renovations to Kauffman Stadium will only make the place look more beautiful than it already is.

BTW...George Brett has always been one of my favorite all-time players. He personified what Royals baseball...and baseball in general, is all about. It's a shame not too many modern players mimic his style. There would be a lot less "prima-donnas" and more people willing to grind it out and play the game properly if they followed George's lead.

infohawk
06-14-2008, 10:18 AM
Welcome to WSI!:D:

MHOUSE
06-14-2008, 05:30 PM
I go to school at Mizzou and I have to say that I like Royals fans a lot more than Cardinal Nation. Royals fans know their team and they know baseball. They also know their Chiefs football in and out while Ive never met a real St. Louis Rams fan, lol.

Most Cardinal "fans" are no better than Cub fans. They rave about Pujols and complain about everything else despite being one of the most successful franchises out there. It's most frat guys and sorority girls wearing jerseys and paying no attention to what's actually going on. Sorry to rant, bottom line: Royals fans are all right in my book. I've liked watching them this year. I don't hate them like I do the Twins and Jndjans.

turners56
06-14-2008, 05:49 PM
That's probably the reason WGN keeps Santo in the radio booth as opposed to TV.

As bad as Hawk is, Santo is about 20 times worse.

LongLiveFisk
06-14-2008, 06:02 PM

If you polled people who hate the Cubs as to why they hate them, I have a feeling Santo doesn't even make the Top 5.

turners56
06-14-2008, 06:14 PM
If you polled people who hate the Cubs as to why they hate them, I have a feeling Santo doesn't even make the Top 5.

Because there's so much to hate about them. :D:

MarySwiss
06-14-2008, 06:15 PM

Agreed. Santo is merely an irritant; kind of like a pumpkin seed in the ol' wisdom tooth. My #1 is bandwagon fans.

Maybe you should start a poll over on WTS?

turners56
06-14-2008, 06:26 PM
Agreed. Santo is merely an irritant; kind of like a pumpkin seed in the ol' wisdom tooth. My #1 is bandwagon fans.

Maybe you should start a poll over on WTS?

That would be a nice festivity during the cross-town rivalry.

IlliniSox4Life
06-14-2008, 06:42 PM
Hey, welcome to the board. We don't have any problems with fans of other teams here as long as they don't flame/troll, and from your first post, it seems like you well get along just fine. A lot of us actually appreciate the different viewpoints that people from different areas or with different team affiliations bring to the site.

As far as hating Hawk/DJ, I understand it. I'm not in the group of people that don't like him, but I can see where he would annoy you if you aren't a big Sox fan (and even if you are). DJ, on the other hand, isn't nearly as bad. His problem is that he is sort of like the baseball announcer equivalent of tofu. He doesn't really have a unique flavor himself, and he sort of absorbs the flavor of whoever is around him. When he's got a different partner than Hawk, he has a completely different feel. Being the younger and more novice guy, he seems to just let Hawk take over.

High Mileage
06-15-2008, 03:56 PM
Hey, High Mileage! I recognize your name from your Royals forum you post at. I am registered as ChicagoGirl over there. Welcome to WSI...this is a great form to be a part of.

Yeah they banned me until the All-Star break over some BS, a moderator there flat out lied about why I was banned, and the convo took place over PM's in the first place. Oh well though, spending as much time as I did on there only made it more frustrating how horribly they have been playing. My Dad registered over there not too long ago so he fills me in on the good stuff...
DJ, on the other hand, isn't nearly as bad. His problem is that he is sort of like the baseball announcer equivalent of tofu. He doesn't really have a unique flavor himself, and he sort of absorbs the flavor of whoever is around him. When he's got a different partner than Hawk, he has a completely different feel. Being the younger and more novice guy, he seems to just let Hawk take over.

Laugh. Out. Loud.

cwsfannick
06-16-2008, 09:48 PM
Welcome to WSI!!.

Still some big Ross Gload fans over here.

I have to admit I was surprised to see us have success off of Grienke. He has owned us lately.

Once again welcome. I think you will like this site.

High Mileage
06-17-2008, 03:33 AM
Welcome to WSI!!.

Still some big Ross Gload fans over here.

I have to admit I was surprised to see us have success off of Grienke. He has owned us lately.

Once again welcome. I think you will like this site.

Ross Gload has fans? Hell the majority of us were pissed that he got a 2-year contract this off-season, hopefully he'll be DFA'd anyday now...

Frater Perdurabo
06-17-2008, 07:30 AM
Ross Gload has fans? Hell the majority of us were pissed that he got a 2-year contract this off-season, hopefully he'll be DFA'd anyday now...

If you DFA him, we might be able to use him!

MiamiSpartan
06-17-2008, 10:19 AM
Welcome. I went to KU back in the early 80s, so I used to make it to a number of Royal games back then...

Oblong
06-17-2008, 10:35 AM
George Brett IS baseball. If you were trying to describe the perfect embodiment of a baseball player to a foreigner he'd be it.

I'm a Tigers fan and have been here for 2 years. It's a great place.

asindc
06-17-2008, 10:57 AM

Welcome to the board. Just don't be a troll like Timberwolf. You'll find a lot of Twins hate here (they play inside a building on carpet for goodness sakes!), Cubs hate, Jndians hate, Boston hate, and some Tigers hate, but not much KC hate.

As far as Hawk is concerned, I like him, but as an earlier poster said, it's easier to like him as a Sox fan. Count me among those who don't mind the play-by-play guy being a homer.

High Mileage
06-17-2008, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the kind words guys. I think we're about to sweep the Cardinals...

chisoxfanatic
06-17-2008, 05:18 PM
Thanks for the kind words guys. I think we're about to sweep the Cardinals...

I'm sorry; but, I hope not. I want the Cardinals winning that NL Central.

High Mileage
06-17-2008, 05:32 PM

No Pujols or Wainwright, going to be tough...

asindc
06-17-2008, 07:38 PM

Cards are playing over their heads. Sorry folks, no team but the Cubs are going to "win" that division. The Cubs will have to lose it. Which we all know they are capable of.

High Mileage
06-17-2008, 10:26 PM
KC up 2-1 in the 9th!!!

You guys want to make a deal? Gload for MacDougal??? :D:

Frater Perdurabo
06-17-2008, 10:35 PM
KC up 2-1 in the 9th!!!

You guys want to make a deal? Gload for MacDougal??? :D:

Done. :D:

High Mileage
06-18-2008, 12:46 AM
Done. :D:

I wish, at this point, I might even settle for Sisco...:shocked:

doublem23
06-18-2008, 01:57 AM
I wish, at this point, I might even settle for Sisco...:shocked:

I would be generous and give them both back to you. :cool:

High Mileage
06-18-2008, 10:46 PM

So...we've taken the first 2...:D:

rookie
06-18-2008, 11:08 PM
Going to KC in early August. My sister's fiance really wants to go to see a game (and he's a Cubs fan, but one of those who actually know baseball). I'm excited because I love seeing different parks (just got back from Coors). Plus I want to see the Negro League Hall of Fame, and of course the BBQ...

johnnyg83
06-18-2008, 11:40 PM
You must go to the PEANUT -- best BLT you'll ever have!

High Mileage
06-19-2008, 03:07 AM
Going to KC in early August. My sister's fiance really wants to go to see a game (and he's a Cubs fan, but one of those who actually know baseball). I'm excited because I love seeing different parks (just got back from Coors). Plus I want to see the Negro League Hall of Fame, and of course the BBQ...

Any idea when? I'll be there the 9th and 10th for games against the Twins. staying at the Sheraton...