PDA

View Full Version : Moronotti's riding shotgun on the bandwagon...

Unregistered
05-06-2002, 06:45 AM
It's long, but I'll post it just in case Moronotti gets cold feet later in the day and decides to change it:
CITY'S PICK TO CLICK

May 6, 2002

BY JAY "DUMB ASS" MARIOTTI (sorry, couldnt resist.) SUN-TIMES COLUMNIST

They don't need gimmicks anymore. Funny how the White Sox want to stage outfield fan sleepovers and erect beer tents in the parking lot when, at long last, the baseball product is selling itself. Attention all barking dogs, conga-line dancers, bobblehead collectors and Elvis impersonators:

Stay home. The freak show is over.

Things are starting to get serious at Comiskey Park.

As I've advised the Sox forever, just contend and entertain and people will care. Not only are they showing signs of contending all season, they've blinded us with a five-week offensive barrage that goes against the grain of the latest major-league trends. If you haven't noticed, a day rarely passes without another pitcher flirting with a no-hitter. Home runs are down, scoring is down, and the embattled men on the mound finally are gaining some measure of revenge. One team that never has followed the crowd, though, is the Sox.

Despite the slow starts of Frank Thomas and other bashers, not to mention a rash of nasty weather hardly conducive to hitting baseballs, they've still managed a stunning 190 runs in only 31 games. It's by far the highest total in the majors, a 6.1 average that nearly doubles the output of the lame Cubs and has triggered whispers from familiar conspiracy theorists. Because most of the damage has come at Comiskey, where the Sox are 12-4 and hitting over .325, talk is surfacing again that sneaky operatives are stealing signs via (choose one): holes in the scoreboard, the TV broadcast booth, the owner's box, a snoop in the Robert Taylor Homes or the guy behind the churros stand down the left-field line.

Such chatter has been commonplace for years. One school of thought believes TV announcer Hawk Harrelson is the ringleader, a charge he has heatedly denied on and off the air. Oakland ace Tim Hudson, rocked Saturday night by the Sox, is among those who have publicly suspected dirty pool. Perhaps as a pre-emptive statement to the American League and certainly as a dig at the A's, Jerry Manuel denied any snooping after the Sox scored 16 runs in the first two weekend games, crediting batting coach Gary Ward for the latest bursts.

"People think we're doing some things under the table and so forth, but we're not,'' said Manuel, who, unlike some Sox operatives, wouldn't lie about these things. "Gary prepared them on what they would get on a certain pitch.''

More likely than cheating, the Sox are just damned good. Even as they lost 3-2 Sunday, they played a crisp, intriguing game, falling just short against the formidable triad of Barry Zito, Jim Mecir and Billy Koch. After looking butt-awful in Oakland the previous weekend, the Sox came home and won four of six over Seattle and the A's, two excellent clubs. There's no reason to think they aren't one of the league's best half-dozen teams and can't wage month-to-month combat in the AL Central with the Minnesota Twins, who are doing their best to confound the pathetic contraction efforts of Bud (Lite) Selig.

"It comes down to our pitching and defense,'' Sandy Alomar Jr. said. "If we catch the ball and our pitchers keep us in the game, you know we're going to hit.''

To say the Sox merely hit the ball insults their impact. More often than not, they flat out crush it, which is why they find themselves on a rarefied pace. If they don't have enough pitching to dream the impossible Chicago dream and reach the World Series, this still could be a historic season on the South Side. Having scored six or more runs 17 times--including six in double-digits--the Sox are on track to challenge the 1,000-run barrier.

It will surprise you to know, amid the scoring frenzy of the last decade, that only one team has cracked that mark in the last half-century. The Cleveland Indians did it three years ago with 1,009, leaving them fifth all-time. The 1931 New York Yankees top the list with 1,067. I'd give the Sox another couple of months, then stick a running tally on the Comiskey facade if they're still on pace. We've seen some boppers in this town, including the South Side Hit Men and the division champs two years ago, but this team may be the most potent. Kenny Williams may want to give Cubs boss Andy MacPhail a high-interest runs loan.

The best tribute I can give the Sox is that I have very little to complain about. As the Cubs toothpick their way to another heartbreak, the Sox are almost sure to carry the baseball summer. Much depends on the kid pitchers, with Jon Rauch already biting the dust. Williams may want to cut and paste this ledger of potential July acquisitions: Scott Erickson, Jeff Weaver and Omar Daal, among others on a lean list that includes undesirables like Chuck Finley and Mike ($121 million bust) Hampton.

But Kenny GM deserves some slack and patience after his cool handling of the Jim Parque farce. Rather than risk hearing more bush-league criticism from the whiny pitcher, Williams challenged him by recalling him from Charlotte and letting him put his fastball where his mouth is. Parque was promptly humiliated, with his Sox career probably ending on the night Mike Cameron shelled him for three homers and made history with four.

The failures of Rauch and Parque place even more pressure on Jon Garland and Dan Wright. But if the fans start to come, maybe Reinsdorf will realize he's creeping toward 70 and splurge a little on a veteran pitcher. He's at the ballpark virtually every day and night, as if trying to will his "lifelong dream'' of a championship. No doubt some fans still hold a grudge against him and his stadium, yet there's something about this team that slowly is melting the iceberg.

Hot bats, I'd say.

http://a548.g.akamaitech.net/7/548/869/e414cd222f6236/www.suntimes.com/images4/columnists/mariotti.jpg
"It hasn't been a full day if I haven't contradicted myself at least once!"*

DVG
05-06-2002, 07:15 AM
There it is, sportsfans. The day you've all known was coming.
Jay's officially hopped on board the bandwagon. Yesterday, he
wrote off the Cubs ("I'm conceding" he whined) today he gush-
es about how great the Sox look. I know a few people on this
board predicted that, so I would like to congratulate them and
give them the Woody Allen "two countries will go to war, but
only one will win" award for the easiest, can't miss, slamdunk
prediction of the year.

:moron

Hey, guys!!! and gals!!! Look, I know I called you and your team
scum last year, and I know I said you were all jealous of Sammy
and the Cubs, and I know I treated your team like a non-entity during Spring Training, but I take it all back!!!! Let's let bygones be bygones!!! The Sox are good!!!! No gimmicks, no freak show!!
The can flat out hit!!!! Oh sure, if Sammy and my Cubbies were
in first place I'd be slobbering all over them (and I just might if
they get hot!!!) but for now I need a winning team to hang my hat on!! All aboard the bandwagon!!!!!

So, whattaya say, guys and gals? Kiss and make up??

CerberusWG
05-06-2002, 08:17 AM
Oh no, he's on the wagon now?

Abandon Ship!

moochpuppy
05-06-2002, 09:18 AM

"Am I Dr. Jeckle or Mr. Hyde?"

Iwritecode
05-06-2002, 10:38 AM
As much as we complain about the moron being a bandwagon jumper, this may actually be a good thing. Attendance on Sat and Sun was 27,000+ each day. We hadn't gone over 25,000 since opening day. If the media finally gives the Sox some long overdue credit and start letting everyone know how bad the Cubs really are, then the casual fans out there that believe everything they read might actually show up at Comiskey a few more times this year to see what the team is really about. It looks like a few of them already are. We all know the chain reaction this could possibly start. More attendance means JR more willing to spend money on quality players. More money to spend means getting another quality starter. Another quality starter means... well, I won't get too ahead of myself here, but I'm sure you get my point... :D:

Cheryl
05-06-2002, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
A...More attendance means JR more willing to spend money on quality players. More money to spend means getting another quality starter. Another quality starter means...

It doesn't necessarily mean that. He'll have less of an excuse to not spend the money, but it doesn't follow that he'll spend it or that he'll spend it wisely.

LuvChiSox
05-06-2002, 04:35 PM
Moron's column is probably in response to the many people (most of whom are probably regulars here) who wrote to complain about his "writing". Perhaps S-T management finally woke up and told the moron to clean up his act. At least that's what I hope happened. But I'm by no means ready to welcome that pig onto the Sox bandwagon. He's done so much damage to the Sox organization and fans with his irresponsible drivel, that it will take more than one lousy column to convince me that this idiot is not a snake in the grass.

Huisj
05-06-2002, 04:44 PM
keep this in mind too--it's getting to the time of year when the weather will be more consistently nice too, and it's nearing summer. of course crowds will get bigger at games.

CubKilla
05-06-2002, 04:47 PM
Moronotti is so pathetic it almost borders on unbelievable. I had a feeling this was coming a few weeks ago when he referred to himself as a, if I'm not mistaken, "neutral sports columnist" while, at the time, bashing not only the Sox Organization, but the fans. Screw this jerk. DVG hit it right on the head.

voodoochile
05-06-2002, 05:38 PM
Jay is going to get on the bandwagon - we cannot prevent that, but he cannot have my shotgun seat. I claimed it several years ago and will not give it up to some whiny, two-faced jackass. He can sit with the pig-crap behind the straw...

doublem23
05-06-2002, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by Cheryl

It doesn't necessarily mean that. He'll have less of an excuse to not spend the money, but it doesn't follow that he'll spend it or that he'll spend it wisely.

:jaime
JR always spends his money wisely... Would you like fries with that?

cheeses_h_rice
05-06-2002, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Jay is going to get on the bandwagon - we cannot prevent that, but he cannot have my shotgun seat. I claimed it several years ago and will not give it up to some whiny, two-faced jackass. He can sit with the pig-crap behind the straw...

Nah, I think it's more like he's skitching on the Sox bandwagon. There's no way he could actually take a seat anywhere -- in the front cab or in the back -- without a coterie of angry Sox fans taking out their frustrations with an estimable selection of Louisville Sluggers on his ass.

Walnuts, Manos, the Choice, Burly-mon, K-Lo...I've always loved those guys!!!

Chisox353014
05-06-2002, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by DVG
There it is, sportsfans. The day you've all known was coming.
Jay's officially hopped on board the bandwagon. Yesterday, he
wrote off the Cubs ("I'm conceding" he whined) today he gush-
es about how great the Sox look. I know a few people on this
board predicted that, so I would like to congratulate them and
give them the Woody Allen "two countries will go to war, but
only one will win" award for the easiest, can't miss, slamdunk
prediction of the year.

I'm surprised he's getting on board this early. In 2000 I distinctly remember him writing a gushing article about us the Monday after we beat the Jindians and Yanks 7 straight (real tough to get on board the bandwagon after one of the greatest road trips in baseball history, huh?). That was in mid-June. He must really be down on his Flubbies to be hopping our train so fast.

Jerry_Manuel
05-06-2002, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Chisox353014
He must really be down on his Flubbies to be hopping our train so fast.

Yep.
Jay down on the Cub (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10234)

MarqSox
05-06-2002, 06:12 PM
Bandwagon jumper or not, I prefer those kind of columns to his usual fare. I don't know about you guys, but I'm willing to forgive (but not forget) Moron's past sins ...

FarWestChicago
05-06-2002, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
Bandwagon jumper or not, I prefer those kind of columns to his usual fare. I don't know about you guys, but I'm willing to forgive (but not forget) Moron's past sins ... Count me out. The Moron is the worst kind of scum there is in the media. His jumping on the Sox bandwagon only makes him more despicalble. :angry:

Iwritecode
05-06-2002, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

That's questionable there VC. I seem to remember you saying that serveral years ago you were rooting for a team that plays 8 miles north... :D:

jklm
05-06-2002, 07:01 PM
Moronitti is a disease (see Bears, Blackhawks and actually Cubs). Please kick him off our ship...

Prof.Redass
05-06-2002, 07:02 PM
You all seem to spend an inordinate amount of time discussing the ramblings of a hack writer with little talent,who reportedly has a feline living on top of his head and a propensity to disco.

Now don't you feel a just a wee bit silly?

voodoochile
05-06-2002, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode

That's questionable there VC. I seem to remember you saying that serveral years ago you were rooting for a team that plays 8 miles north... :D:

Don't make me come to Rockford and prove how much I am Sox fan... Your daughters would be awfully upset to see me open up a can of southside whoopass on you...

:D:

I distinctly recall claiming shotgun when the idea of a bandwagon first came up in the summer of 2000. I have not relinquished my seat and for proof, I offer the following post...

Shotgun (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?postid=11335#post11335)

Just look for the one by me. Now if that is the way I felt in August of last year, you damn well know I haven't given up that seat, but if Jay wants to wrestle me for it, I will be glad to feed him his cat... er hat... er whatever that thing is on top of his head...

:fluffy
"Don't look at me, I just work here..."

voodoochile
05-06-2002, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by Prof.Redass
You all seem to spend an inordinate amount of time discussing the ramblings of a hack writer with little talent,who reportedly has a feline living on top of his head and a propensity to disco.

Now don't you feel a just a wee bit silly?

Not as silly as Jay must feel each and every time he opens up his word processor and proceeds to produce that days drivel...

"I Love ShamMEMEME.... er... the Scum Sox.... er... The WH.... Wh... Wh.... (giggles)... White Sox... phew that was tough to say..."