PDA

View Full Version : *CONFIRMED* Russell Called Up

nevr say dye sox
06-12-2008, 05:28 PM
For what's its worth Adam Russell has been re called from Charlotte. Hopefully he see's some action this time.

PicktoCLick72
06-12-2008, 05:30 PM
Who did he replace?

nevr say dye sox
06-12-2008, 05:32 PM
not sure , however I just received word he's getting the call up. Maybe Loaiza?

doublem23
06-12-2008, 05:33 PM
Maybe Loaiza?

That would be... odd. :scratch:

Anyways, do you have a source? Or can you provide a link?

turners56
06-12-2008, 05:33 PM
Just what has Loaiza done to get sent down? :scratch:

SoxGirl4Life
06-12-2008, 05:34 PM
Just what has Loaiza done to get sent down? :scratch:

Good question. Uribe's the one doing nothing for the past two weeks off the DL

nevr say dye sox
06-12-2008, 05:37 PM
maybe Uribe, I only said Loaiza because that was the only one I could think of. However, Uribe makes sense. I don't have a linky however I just got off the phone with one of my buddies who knows him well.

chisoxmike
06-12-2008, 05:38 PM
...I just got off the phone with one of my buddies who knows him well.

Do you know otis? I sure he has the scoop.

doublem23
06-12-2008, 05:39 PM
Well, unless Konerko or somebody else is headed to the DL, the only three that seem to make sense are Loazia, Uribe, or Ozuna.

:waits patiently:

turners56
06-12-2008, 05:47 PM
Well, unless Konerko or somebody else is headed to the DL, the only three that seem to make sense are Loazia, Uribe, or Ozuna.

:waits patiently:

There's no way Pablo gets sent down. He's the ultra utility man.

TomBradley72
06-12-2008, 05:49 PM
Quentin going to the DL with the hand problems Hawk was talking about today? He's only hitting .172 over the last 7 days.

getonbckthr
I noticed Thome didn't play is he hurt/DL?

Lip Man 1
Could one of the Sox pitchers be hurt?

Or could Ozzie and Cooper be pulling a Piniella and changing up the rotation for the two Cub series??

Not Saying Russell would start one of those games but maybe working a guy on short rest with Russell as a stand by ready reserve and moving the original starter into the Cubs series rotation.

And I didn't know about Q's hand issues. Him and Konerko, sounds like an epidemic.

Lip

turners56
06-12-2008, 05:50 PM
Quentin going to the DL with the hand problems Hawk was talking about today? He's only hitting .172 over the last 7 days.

:whiner::whiner::whiner::whiner::whiner::whiner:

Please tell me you're lying.

JB98
06-12-2008, 05:50 PM

Even if that's the case, why do we need another pitcher? We have a good starting staff, with guys who get into the seventh inning consistently.

Why the hell do we need eight relievers?

turners56
06-12-2008, 05:51 PM
Even if that's the case, why do we need another pitcher? We have a good starting staff, with guys who get into the seventh inning consistently.

Why the hell do we need eight relievers?

Good point, if anything either Fields or Owens would get called up then.

SoxGirl4Life
06-12-2008, 05:51 PM

Speculating.. lol

TomBradley72
06-12-2008, 05:52 PM
They must be looking to add another arm for interleague play? Using more pitchers due to pinch hitting for relievers in the late innings?

JB98
06-12-2008, 05:53 PM
They must be looking to add another arm for interleague play? Using more pitchers due to pinch hitting for relievers in the late innings?

Maybe, but our next six games are at home - with American League rules. I could see them changing the roster if we were playing National League rules this weekend.

SoxGirl4Life
06-12-2008, 05:54 PM

We only have the Cubs and Dodgers series in NL parks. A little early for that, no?

doublem23
06-12-2008, 05:54 PM
I noticed Thome didn't play is he hurt/DL?

I doubt it, I'm sure Ozzie wanted Anderson in CF because Comerica's outfield is enormous and an OF of Quentin/Swisher/Dye would be tough to watch out there. If Anderson is in CF, then there's only 3 spots for 4 guys (Swisher, Dye, Konerko, Thome) to fill. Thome probably just sat because The Gambler is a southpaw.

TomBradley72
06-12-2008, 05:55 PM
Maybe, but our next six games are at home - with American League rules. I could see them changing the roster if we were playing National League rules this weekend.

You're right....that can't be the reason..maybe they're seeing that Loiza just doesn't have it any more.

WhiteSox5187

Hawk did say that CQ's hand was hurting him...which would explain his poor performance of late...but I figured he was just in a bit of a slump.

DickAllen72
On the pregame show Coop was saying that Loaiza's stuff isn't nearly what they need it to be. He said there is a predetermined amount of time they have to see if his stuff improves for the role they have in mind for him.

It didn't sound like his "predetermined time" was up yet but you never know.

WhiteSox5187
06-12-2008, 05:57 PM
On the pregame show Coop was saying that Loaiza's stuff isn't nearly what they need it to be. He said there is a predetermined amount of time they have to see if his stuff improves for the role they have in mind for him.

He didn't get it over eighty last time I saw him pitch but he's been effective when he's been used.

JB98

I haven't been impressed with Loaiza's stuff either, but if they're pulling the plug, that's awful quick.

SoxGirl4Life

I don't know if I was seeing things, but I thought he had some nasty breaking pitches last night. maybe his fastball is gone.

Lip Man 1
06-12-2008, 05:58 PM
I guess there's always the chance of a deal. Maybe Uribe is headed out?

Lip

Hitmen77
06-12-2008, 06:02 PM
Is there any confirmation that Russell is being called up? Source? Link?

WhiteSox5187
06-12-2008, 06:03 PM
I guess there's always the chance of a deal. Maybe Uribe is headed out?

Lip

Uribe for Roberts???

whitesoxfan
06-12-2008, 06:03 PM
If I had to guess, it would be Loaiza to the DL. It was said in the game thread during his last outing that he was only hitting around the low 80's.

Uribe getting DFA'd makes sense too. He hasn't played at all since he has come back from the DL, so I could see that.

SoxGirl4Life
06-12-2008, 06:04 PM

Rumor.

hi im skot
06-12-2008, 06:05 PM
So the original poster drops in with little to no information and disappears?

I'm not saying he's pulling an otis, but I'll believe this when I see it.

Sockinchisox
06-12-2008, 06:07 PM
I believe him, he said Russell was getting called up when Alexei had to stay back for the Toronto series before anyone else had it.

Tekijawa
06-12-2008, 06:26 PM
Maybe the poster IS Adam Russell

Lip Man 1
06-12-2008, 07:31 PM
With interleague play at home though for the next week why would the Sox call up another pitcher? Wouldn't that give them 12 on the roster? How many pitchers do they need?

Lip

ohthosechisox
06-12-2008, 09:17 PM

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080612&content_id=2902950&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

They just put this up on the Sox website, so there is truth to this post.

HomeFish
06-12-2008, 09:24 PM
Really, if you were going to make up a rumor, why make up this one?

Viva Medias B's
06-12-2008, 09:26 PM
The link indicates that Loaiza is expected to be released.

doublem23
06-12-2008, 09:27 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080612&content_id=2902950&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Looks like it's legit... BACK TO THE CLUBHOUSE!

JermaineDye05
06-12-2008, 09:29 PM
Cue the Esteban Loaiza appreciation thread...

Melido Perez
06-12-2008, 09:34 PM
is even hinting that Loaiza will be released. Thanks for stopping by Esteban!

cws05champ
06-12-2008, 09:35 PM
Wow, that wa sa quick experiment with Loaiza!! Really odd move that they sign him and release him a week later.

turners56
06-12-2008, 09:35 PM

I guess he just doesn't have the stuff. Can't they designate him for assignment?

WhiteSox5187
06-12-2008, 09:38 PM
Wow...they didn't really give Esteban much of a chance. Too bad. His career is done.

JB98
06-12-2008, 09:45 PM
When the Sox signed Loaiza, I think they were under the mistaken impression that he had been working out and throwing off a mound. In fact, he had not. He's essentially in spring training form, which came as a surprise to Don Cooper.

The Sox have decided they can't be patient with him. Certainly, a first-place ballclub cannot allow a pitcher to essentially conduct a rehabilitation assignment for himself at the big-league level.

Melido Perez
06-12-2008, 09:48 PM
Todd Ritchie is available, another #48.

DrCrawdad
06-12-2008, 09:51 PM
And in other news...

...Looks like Jerry Owens has a few hits tonight for Charlotte.

WhiteSox5187
06-12-2008, 09:52 PM
When the Sox signed Loaiza, I think they were under the mistaken impression that he had been working out and throwing off a mound. In fact, he had not. He's essentially in spring training form, which came as a surprise to Don Cooper.

The Sox have decided they can't be patient with him. Certainly, a first-place ballclub cannot allow a pitcher to essentially conduct a rehabilitation assignment for himself at the big-league level.

Could we send him down to charlotte or not?

A. Cavatica
06-12-2008, 09:53 PM
At least Loaiza got to end his career where he had the greatest success.

JB98
06-12-2008, 09:54 PM
Could we send him down to charlotte or not?

I don't think he'd be required to accept the assignment.

Noneck
06-12-2008, 09:56 PM
Unless Loaiza got hurt after he was signed, I don't understand why he was signed. This seems very strange.

pierzynski07
06-12-2008, 10:21 PM
I guess he just doesn't have the stuff. Can't they designate him for assignment?
Eh, why go through the process? People are DFA so they can spend a few days and decide what to do with the player, such as attempt a trade or encourage a minors assignment. But he's not going to the minors, and no team will trade for him, so you might as well just release him and move on.

MCHSoxFan
06-12-2008, 10:27 PM
We need...HITTING!!! Consistent HITTING!

However, I do like Russell.

thomas35forever
06-12-2008, 10:32 PM
I can't believe they'd give up on him so quickly. Guess they didn't want to find out when he might implode in the heat of a division race. Still, I think Russell will do things for us.

btrain929
06-12-2008, 10:36 PM
Unless Loaiza got hurt after he was signed, I don't understand why he was signed. This seems very strange.

Same reason why Mike Myers was picked up last year: to see if he had anything left in the tank to help us in the future.

He doesn't, so he's gone. It's not like any money put into Loaiza is going to cripple us from making any future moves.

No big deal in my eyes. We move on.....

doublem23
06-12-2008, 10:43 PM
We need...HITTING!!! Consistent HITTING!

However, I do like Russell.

The answer is not in our farm system.

Noneck
06-12-2008, 10:43 PM
Same reason why Mike Myers was picked up last year: to see if he had anything left in the tank to help us in the future.

He doesn't, so he's gone. It's not like any money put into Loaiza is going to cripple us from making any future moves.

Wasn't Myers 1st in the minors or sent there before he came to the Sox?

cws05champ
06-12-2008, 10:44 PM

Will he get a 2008 Championship ring? (half teal)

oeo
06-12-2008, 11:19 PM
Wasn't Myers 1st in the minors or sent there before he came to the Sox?

No, he signed a major league deal, with an option for this year. To which everyone went insane like it actually mattered.

I don't think it's the same situation as the Myers one. Myers was signed at the end of a season in which we were going nowhere while Loaiza was signed in June when we were in first place. They obviously believed that Loaiza could help the team. I just think they were surprised to see how crappy he was.

I didn't like the move from the start, but I do like that they're going to try to sustain the bullpen's success in any way that they can. If you don't get the job done, they'll find someone that can. MacDougal didn't do it...he's gone, Wassermann didn't...he's gone, Loaiza didn't look good...he's gone. I worry about whether Russell is going to throw strikes, so he may be gone soon, too.

DickAllen72
06-12-2008, 11:24 PM
I didn't like the move from the start, but I do like that they're going to try to sustain the bullpen's success in any way that they can. If you don't get the job done, they'll find someone that can. MacDougal didn't do it...he's gone, Wassermann didn't...he's gone, Loaiza didn't look good...he's gone. I worry about whether Russell is going to throw strikes, so he may be gone soon, too.
Next in line...paging Mr. Freddy Garcia.....:wink:

btrain929
06-12-2008, 11:28 PM
No, he signed a major league deal, with an option for this year. To which everyone went insane like it actually mattered.

I don't think it's the same situation as the Myers one. Myers was signed at the end of a season in which we were going nowhere while Loaiza was signed in June when we were in first place. They obviously believed that Loaiza could help the team. I just think they were surprised to see how crappy he was.

That is the part where I believe both moves are similar.

Hitmen77
06-12-2008, 11:54 PM
And in other news...

...Looks like Jerry Owens has a few hits tonight for Charlotte.

He's hitting .381 over the last 2 weeks.

LoveYourSuit
06-13-2008, 12:35 AM
People who are in shock about Esteban need to start watching baseball games more carefully. I called it out on yesterday's post game thread stating that the guy is dead meat. He did not throw a single pitch above 78 mph and his arm angle and body language was quite awful.

I assume the Sox had to pay him the league minimum of $400K or so .... if so, shame on White Sox scouting for even taking a chance on this. $400K is a good amount of money for 2 outings of service.

Chicken Dinner
06-13-2008, 12:41 AM
I guess we got a 1/3 of an inning more out of Loaiza than we did Jeff Nelson.

Craig Grebeck
06-13-2008, 12:49 AM
Good for him. Still an awful player.

KRS1
06-13-2008, 01:14 AM
I assume the Sox had to pay him the league minimum of $400K or so .... if so, shame on White Sox scouting for even taking a chance on this. $400K is a good amount of money for 2 outings of service.

Does he get the entirety of that, or just a prorated portion? I guess it all depends on the details.

Chicken Dinner
06-13-2008, 01:19 AM
Does he get the entirety of that, or just a prorated portion? I guess it all depends on the details.

I wouldn't think the Sox would be on the hook for anything if they released him. The Dodgers are stuck with that.

KRS1
06-13-2008, 01:28 AM
I wouldn't think the Sox would be on the hook for anything if they released him. The Dodgers are stuck with that.

Of course they Dodgers owe him whatever was left on his deal. I was wondering about whether the league minimum type deals, ala the one we gave him, are paid in full if a player is cut, or if it gets prorated according to the time he spent with the club?

rocky biddle
06-13-2008, 08:49 AM
In Gonzales' most recent mailbag, (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/askthewriter/cs-080604-ask-mark-gonzales-chicago-white-sox,0,3664638.story?page=2) he said that the Dodgers were paying a portion of Loazia's contract, so the Sox are on the hook for like $260K.

I don't know what they'll owe him if they cut him. I'm sure someone on here does though.

cws05champ
06-13-2008, 08:57 AM

I think Owens should have been brought up for interleague play. If Uribe is not even getting onto the field we need a guy that can bunt and pinch run that is a threat.

FedEx227
06-13-2008, 09:13 AM
People who are in shock about Esteban need to start watching baseball games more carefully. I called it out on yesterday's post game thread stating that the guy is dead meat. He did not throw a single pitch above 78 mph and his arm angle and body language was quite awful.

Did the White Sox scouts even watch his games this year? There's a reason the DODGERS, who need pitching in the worst way told him just to go away.

doublem23
06-13-2008, 09:37 AM

Did the White Sox scouts even watch his games this year? There's a reason the DODGERS, who need pitching in the worst way told him just to go away.

Bully for the pair of you... Had the Sox coaching staff turned Esteban around, it wouldn't have been the first time they did so.

Anyways, don't hurt your arm patting yourselves on the back.

The Immigrant
06-13-2008, 09:51 AM

Just the prorated portion. However, he still gets every last cent the A's and Dodgers owe him.

Esteban Loaiza rhp
3 years/$21.375M (2006-08), plus $7.5M 2009 club option

DFA by LA Dodgers 5/24/08, signed as a free agent 6/4/08 (White Sox pay pro-rated share of $0.39M major league minimum)
signed as a free agent 11/05
$3M signing bonus (paid over the life of the contract)
06:$5M, 07:$6M, 08:$7M, 09:$7.5M club option ($0.375M buyout)
claimed off waivers from Oakland 8/29/07 (Dodgers to pay $1.17M of remaining 2007 salary & assume responsibility for 2008 salary & 2009 option/buyout)http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/search?q=loaiza

jabrch
06-13-2008, 09:54 AM
Of course they Dodgers owe him whatever was left on his deal. I was wondering about whether the league minimum type deals, ala the one we gave him, are paid in full if a player is cut, or if it gets prorated according to the time he spent with the club?

Prorated...we paid hardly anything for Esteban.

FedEx227
06-13-2008, 09:54 AM
Bully for the pair of you... Had the Sox coaching staff turned Esteban around, it wouldn't have been the first time they did so.

I'm not giving myself any credit, I'm just curious what the Sox saw in him outside of "Hey, once before we made you good." That's really all I could see. His velocity has been garbage all year and the Dodgers cut him for a reason, it doesn't take a genius to see that.

But seeing it's pro-rated not too big of a deal. Just seems pretty lazy of our scouting department.

white sox bill
06-13-2008, 09:56 AM
Just the prorated portion. However, he still gets every last cent the A's and Dodgers owe him.

Esteban Loaiza rhp
3 years/$21.375M (2006-08), plus $7.5M 2009 club option

DFA by LA Dodgers 5/24/08, signed as a free agent 6/4/08 (White Sox pay pro-rated share of $0.39M major league minimum)
signed as a free agent 11/05
$3M signing bonus (paid over the life of the contract)
06:$5M, 07:$6M, 08:$7M, 09:$7.5M club option ($0.375M buyout)
claimed off waivers from Oakland 8/29/07 (Dodgers to pay $1.17M of remaining 2007 salary & assume responsibility for 2008 salary & 2009 option/buyout)
http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/search?q=loaiza (http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/search?q=loaiza)

Poor guy, if I see him on a street corner, I'll be sure to buy him a cup of coffee!

white sox bill
06-13-2008, 09:57 AM
Thank God we didn't bring him in during win/lose situations

doublem23
06-13-2008, 10:34 AM
Just seems pretty lazy of our scouting department.

They took a flyer on the guy, it cost the Sox hardly anything... Plus, Loaiza hadn't thrown for a while for Los Angeles before he was DFA'd, right? The Sox have had a pretty good track record of fixing guys other organizations had given up on (Contreras, Floyd), so what's the big deal? It's not like Esteban cost us a game in the standings.

MCHSoxFan
06-13-2008, 10:57 AM
The answer is not in our farm system.

I know. I was saying I like Russell. I always enjoyed seeing him in ST. I was just saying I am not going crazy because hitting is our issue.

slavko
06-13-2008, 11:06 AM
They took a flyer on the guy, it cost the Sox hardly anything... Plus, Loaiza hadn't thrown for a while for Los Angeles before he was DFA'd, right? The Sox have had a pretty good track record of fixing guys other organizations had given up on (Contreras, Floyd), so what's the big deal? It's not like Esteban cost us a game in the standings.

It was worth it, sure. I'm another one of the posters who saw the obvious his first time out on 6/6. He was 10 MPH slower than his big year here and speed is not an easy fix. Remember how he took Buehrle's start the last day of the season so he could set "The Mexican Pitching Record" (his term) with 21 wins, and did? We owed it to him.

LoveYourSuit
06-13-2008, 12:15 PM

Unless he is Ironman, how do you turn around a guy with a dead arm?

LoveYourSuit
06-13-2008, 12:19 PM
I'm not giving myself any credit, I'm just curious what the Sox saw in him outside of "Hey, once before we made you good." That's really all I could see. His velocity has been garbage all year and the Dodgers cut him for a reason, it doesn't take a genius to see that.

But seeing it's pro-rated not too big of a deal. Just seems pretty lazy of our scouting department.

Agree, I don't get what kind of physical they gave this guy.

Why not have him throw a bullpen session with a radar gun and see where he is at. All this was is a waste of time.

Thank God Dotel sucked it up that one night in extra innings when we beat KC, Esteban was the last guy standing in the pen.

No harm here, and the Sox did not lose a single game because of it.

nevr say dye sox
06-13-2008, 01:27 PM
for all the people who doubted my inside info shame on you. And to WSI next time I start a thread about a call up don't remove it because I don't have a link. I get my info first hand way before any media outlet, I wouldn't:dtroll: post it if I wasn't 100% sure.

Daver
06-13-2008, 01:49 PM
for all the people who doubted my inside info shame on you. And to WSI next time I start a thread about a call up don't remove it because I don't have a link. I get my info first hand way before any media outlet, I wouldn't:dtroll: post it if I wasn't 100% sure.

Now you are going to tell me how the staff should do their job?

You're kidding right?

nevr say dye sox
06-13-2008, 01:56 PM
If your asking for advice Daver...I'd be more than happy to help you!

Chez
06-13-2008, 02:12 PM

This is not going to end well.

spiffie
06-13-2008, 02:16 PM
:cower::cower::cower::cower::cower::cower::cower:: cower::cower:

I'm gonna miss that guy...

KenBerryGrab
06-13-2008, 02:17 PM
Why do we bring up Russell and not Broadway?

VeeckAsInWreck
06-13-2008, 02:20 PM
This is not going to end well.

:popcorn:

white sox bill
06-13-2008, 02:27 PM
Little friendly banter between members:smile:

Huisj
06-13-2008, 02:54 PM

I advise others to hold off on taking your advice until you're able to find the missing apostrophe . . . maybe it ran off to find the Esteban Loaiza cutter of yore.

nevr say dye sox
06-13-2008, 03:09 PM
First piece of advice, hire Huisj as grammer chair of WSI, he seems to have a lot of time on his hands to notice when I didn't use an apostrophe.

sox1970
06-13-2008, 04:20 PM
Loaiza is on the DL.

MetroPD
06-13-2008, 04:21 PM
He should have learned to throw the frisbee, then instead of a gong we could have morroco's playing or something.......

turners56
06-13-2008, 04:26 PM
Loaiza is on the DL.

Yea, I heard that too.

CHIsoxNation
06-13-2008, 04:42 PM
Yea, I heard that too.

Just came across the official release on their website.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20080613&content_id=2907115&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

I'm kind of glad they didn't give up on him just yet. I thought it was a good move adding another veteran arm. It's just too bad he wasn't ready to start throwing yet.

JB98
06-13-2008, 05:39 PM
Why do we bring up Russell and not Broadway?

Because we need a relief pitcher, not a starter.

Chez
06-13-2008, 05:45 PM
The press release states that Russell will wear #61. I can't believe that the Sox are finally releasing Jesus Pena's old number! :smile:

Huisj
06-13-2008, 05:52 PM
First piece of advice, hire Huisj as grammer chair of WSI, he seems to have a lot of time on his hands to notice when I didn't use an apostrophe.

My dad would be proud if that happened--he's an editor. I love grammar. :D:

Beware of the dreaded comma splice.

Lip Man 1
06-13-2008, 05:53 PM
This move give Loaiza time to work himself back into shape. I'm glad too the Sox didn't just flat out cut him....no harm in keeping him around.

Best to take a wait and see approach and see what happens after he's thrown regularly again.

Lip

MCHSoxFan
06-13-2008, 07:35 PM
This is all because Loaiza is hurt! Just said on CSN.

Frater Perdurabo
06-13-2008, 10:46 PM
This move give Loaiza time to work himself back into shape. I'm glad too the Sox didn't just flat out cut him....no harm in keeping him around.

Best to take a wait and see approach and see what happens after he's thrown regularly again.

Lip

Lip, you always have been a fan of signing the aging vet to see if you can squeeze out a few more good innings. :D: