PDA

View Full Version : Steve Stone on PTI's Five Good Minutes

pierzynski07
06-12-2008, 12:45 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?videoId=3438612&categoryId=2957357&n8pe6c=2

Mostly about Ozzie, but some about the Cubs, and a look at a possible All-Chicago World Series.

Nellie_Fox
06-12-2008, 12:49 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?videoId=3438612&categoryId=2957357&n8pe6c=2

Mostly about Ozzie, but some about the Cubs, and a look at a possible All-Chicago World Series.He gave the all-Chicago WS a 50% probability. That's just crazy.

Stringer
06-12-2008, 01:06 AM
too bad Wilbon had to use 90 seconds for Cubbie talk

SMH

GregO23
06-12-2008, 05:05 AM
i dont want to see an all chicago world series. I might kill my bestfriend:redneck

fquaye149
06-12-2008, 05:31 AM
He gave the all-Chicago WS a 50% probability. That's just crazy.

I saw an article in BP that said it was a 97.4985% probability.

BRDSR
06-12-2008, 08:32 AM

LOL...I give the Sox about a 25% chance to make the World Series...at best. So he must be figuring on the Cubs having a 200% chance.

It's obviously their year.

kjhanson
06-12-2008, 09:20 AM
The current odds of both teams meeting in the World Series is just north of 5% right now. If you assume every playoff team has an equal shot of getting to the World Series (not true, but it will be the working assumption), the odds of two specific teams meeting is 6.25%. Thus, the 5% on June 12th is pretty big. Between now and October, that number really has nowhere to go but down.

fquaye149
06-12-2008, 09:52 AM
The current odds of both teams meeting in the World Series is just north of 5% right now. If you assume every playoff team has an equal shot of getting to the World Series (not true, but it will be the working assumption), the odds of two specific teams meeting is 6.25%. Thus, the 5% on June 12th is pretty big. Between now and October, that number really has nowhere to go but down.

Well, most people are giving the Cubs 100% in a weak NL (ignoring the fact that the Phillies are probably a better team).

That would mean, in fact, that they were giving the Sox a 25% chance (ignoring the fact that there aren't just 4 teams in the playoff hunt)

in any case :thbbt:

palehozenychicty
06-12-2008, 09:56 AM
Well, most people are giving the Cubs 100% in a weak NL (ignoring the fact that the Phillies are probably a better team).

That would mean, in fact, that they were giving the Sox a 25% chance (ignoring the fact that there aren't just 4 teams in the playoff hunt)

Indeed. I still think the Snakes are better as well. I am, though, having a hard time finding another team in the NL that comes out of nowhere to make a run e.g. Rockies, Astros

Palehose Pete
06-12-2008, 10:02 AM

I'm consider myself an optimist, but even I think there is a higher likelihood of seeing me riding a fire-breathing unicorn that poops gold bricks than seeing an all-Chicago WS in my life.

VeeckAsInWreck
06-12-2008, 10:21 AM
too bad Wilbon had to use 90 seconds for Cubbie talk

SMH

No kidding. If they had any Cubs announcer there would they ask him about the White Sox? Probably not.

areilly
06-12-2008, 10:32 AM
No kidding. If they had any Cubs announcer there would they ask him about the White Sox? Probably not.

What if said announcer used to work for the White Sox?

RedHeadPaleHoser
06-12-2008, 10:32 AM
I'm consider myself an optimist, but even I think there is a higher likelihood of seeing me riding a fire-breathing unicorn that poops gold bricks than seeing an all-Chicago WS in my life.

Is that the one in Italy that was in the news? :D:

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/06/12/europe/EU-GEN-Italy-Unicorn.php

VeeckAsInWreck
06-12-2008, 10:38 AM
What if said announcer used to work for the White Sox?

I get what you're saying but Stoney is not employed there anymore. Ron Santo also played for the Sox do you think they would ask him about about the White Sox?

ElmhurstMarcus
06-12-2008, 10:48 AM
On the score when Stoney is not doing white sox broadcasts, he still talks about both teams reguarly on the daily talk shows. He knows what he's talking about when it comes to both teams.

areilly
06-12-2008, 10:51 AM
I get what you're saying but Stoney is not employed there anymore. Ron Santo also played for the Sox do you think they would ask him about about the White Sox?

I think they would if it had been 100 years since the Sox had won it all and they were currently playing well, and Santo was known to be an expert and near-psychic on just about all things MLB-related.

In that light, a better example might be Harry Caray if he were still alive.

skottyj242
06-12-2008, 10:54 AM

That's apples and oranges buddy. Santo played for the Sox for what 115 games? Stone was associated with the Cubs for a long time and Wilbon is a known Cubs fan, I see no big deal in them "wasting" a minute talking about the Cubs. People just want to think conspiracy.

06-12-2008, 10:55 AM

Those are better odds than the Bulls had to win the lottery pick :D:

VeeckAsInWreck
06-12-2008, 10:59 AM
That's apples and oranges buddy. Santo played for the Sox for what 115 games? Stone was associated with the Cubs for a long time and Wilbon is a known Cubs fan, I see no big deal in them "wasting" a minute talking about the Cubs. People just want to think conspiracy.

http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/7720/tinfoilhat2cy2.jpg
MLB Satellites are trying to control our thoughts!

OK. I get it now. There is no conspiracy. That's what the Tribune and ESPN want you to believe!!!!

skottyj242
06-12-2008, 11:15 AM
http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/7720/tinfoilhat2cy2.jpg
MLB Satellites are trying to control our thoughts!

OK. I get it now. There is no conspiracy. That's what the Tribune and ESPN want you to believe!!!!

That kind of looks like Dump.

Palehose Pete
06-12-2008, 11:31 AM
Is that the one in Italy that was in the news? :D:

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/06/12/europe/EU-GEN-Italy-Unicorn.php

Nice!

Gerry
06-12-2008, 12:07 PM

I really don't think that's true. The Phillies play in an ever better ballpark to hit than the Cubs do, I think Utley has hit an obscene amount of his homeruns at home, just 3 or 4 on the road this season so far. It's a joke. The Cubs have the more balanced team, especially in the pitching department.

fquaye149
06-12-2008, 12:46 PM
I really don't think that's true. The Phillies play in an ever better ballpark to hit than the Cubs do, I think Utley has hit an obscene amount of his homeruns at home, just 3 or 4 on the road this season so far. It's a joke. The Cubs have the more balanced team, especially in the pitching department.

Who cares what ballpark they hit in. Their pitchers have to pitch in it too.

whitesoxfan
06-12-2008, 01:02 PM
Indeed. I still think the Snakes are better as well. I am, though, having a hard time finding another team in the NL that comes out of nowhere to make a run e.g. Rockies, Astros

People say the Cubs can't win on the road. The D'Backs have a BA of .215 on the road. They're not that great of a team.