PDA

View Full Version : *Official* "Why the hell are we losing to Detroit?" 6/11/08 Postgame Thread

Viva Medias B's
06-11-2008, 09:20 PM
Uh, what is going on here guys?

turners56
06-11-2008, 09:22 PM
Bad approach at the plate, bad umpiring at second, Placido Polanco, Miguel Cabrera, and Magglio Ordonez are hurting us. And oh yeah, Verlander is back.

HangWiffum
06-11-2008, 09:23 PM
the sox are who we thought they were. totally inconsistent. i never thought they'd continue to hit like they did. we looked pretty bad these past 2 games. but bad starting pitching and home run or nothing offense will do that to a team.

Gammons Peter
league wide trend, win at home and lose on the road. Allstar game is gonna be HUGE this year for WS home field

turners56
Tomorrow = must win. Who would of thought? Even though Detroit will be 8 games back if we do get swept, we don't need them to get more momentum than they already have.

WSox597
06-11-2008, 09:24 PM
It looks like a temporary return to the "I forgot how to play baseball" of a few weeks ago.

At least I hope it's temporary. You have to wonder how it's possible to look so good for several games, and then look so bad for several games. I can't explain it.

The wonderful umpire's call at second base didn't help, but it wasn't what lost them the game. That was one of the more blatant blown calls I've seen in my life.

JB98
Just bad hitting tonight. Need a more patient approach tomorrow. Rogers is going to try to get us out with the usual array of crap just out of the zone.

Verlander was getting us out with breaking balls and changeups just out of the zone. We should expect more of the same tomorrow.

Make an adjustment, Sox.

Tragg
Good question.

What's the point of 111 pitches when he's giving up 10 hits in 6 innings? Use the pen.

Patrick134
Verlander had a decent outing, but helped by a lot of pop-ups. That blown call at 2nd in the 9th was huge only in the sense that with 2 on nobody out, Verlander would have been nervous, and the bullpen would have been used.

whitesoxfan
That was fast.

Salvage the series tomorrow and head back home to face some bad teams. Cleveland has cut the Twinkies lead to 1 in the 8th.

Stringer
This game was in the deep freezer in the 6th inning and yet I continued to watch

WTH!

Those quick first three innings didn't help at all

JB98
06-11-2008, 09:25 PM
Tomorrow = must win. Who would of thought? Even though Detroit will be 3 games back if we do get swept, we don't need them to get more momentum than they already have.

No.

whitesoxfan
Good question.

What's the point of 111 pitches when he's giving up 10 hits in 6 innings? Use the pen.

111 pitches in June is normal. The game was looking bad anyway, so save the pen as much as you can for tomorrow.

Patrick134
Tomorrow = must win. Who would of thought? Even though Detroit will be 3 games back if we do get swept, we don't need them to get more momentum than they already have.

Please don't throw out "must-win" in this situation. Not even remotely close by any stretch of the imagination.

Woofer
06-11-2008, 09:27 PM
1 run and only 4 hits + some bad umpiring = another loss. Must win tomorrow, or my depression from the Tampa Bay series will return.:mad:

chisoxfanatic
This goes in the 60 games you're gonna lose column. They just weren't there tonight.

BigPapaPump
We need an Ozzie rant to get back on track:rolleyes:

Viva Medias B's
Tomorrow = must win. Who would of thought? Even though Detroit will be 8 games back if we do get swept, we don't need them to get more momentum than they already have.

Fixed it for ya.

chisoxfanatic
06-11-2008, 09:28 PM
We need an Ozzie rant to get back on track:rolleyes:
:tealpolice:

BigPapaPump
06-11-2008, 09:30 PM
:tealpolice:

you beat me to it......Sorry

ElmhurstMarcus
06-11-2008, 09:31 PM
Come on guys, must win tomorrow? Thats a joke.

Frater Perdurabo
06-11-2008, 09:36 PM
No, it's not a must-win.

But it would be good to salvage a win and go into interleague home games with some momentum.

Corpseball returned tonight.

ms620
06-11-2008, 09:37 PM
Yea this being a must win really is a joke. Along with the dude who said that they are not trying.

thomas35forever
06-11-2008, 09:38 PM
Anderson was safe at second. The ump just Denkingered the call.

Since we've had Verlander's number for so long, maybe the guys felt they could have a mashfest against him tonight. Not to be.

Let's win tomorrow and pray Cleveland comes back tonight.

JB98
06-11-2008, 09:39 PM
No, it's not a must-win.

But it would be good to salvage a win and go into interleague home games with some momentum.

Corpseball returned tonight.

The importance of tomorrow's game is we need Mark Buehrle to pitch well in back-to-back outings. This Good Mark, Bad Mark stuff has gone on far enough.

Good Mark appeared last Saturday against Minnesota. I'd like him to stay for awhile, because we need him.

Patrick134
06-11-2008, 09:40 PM
Anderson was safe at second. The ump just Denkingered the call.

Since we've had Verlander's number for so long, maybe the guys felt they could have a mashfest against him tonight. Not to be.

Let's win tomorrow and pray Cleveland comes back tonight.

I don't think we've reached the praying point yet. It's not bad if the tribe loses either.

Corlose 15
06-11-2008, 09:40 PM
Very disappointing two games here in Detroit. They've got a chance to essentially knock the Tigers out of the race and they haven't come through. Its especially disappointing with how bad Robertson was coming in.

Tomorrow isn't a must win but its pretty important in terms of stemming some of Detroit's momentum. You don't want them feeling good about themselves and you never want to get swept in the division. I still don't feel good about Detroit's pitching but if that lineup of theirs gets hot you never know. Its best to let the giants sleep.

PicktoCLick72
06-11-2008, 09:41 PM
Are we connected to an asylum? Must win? Please get a grip.

ms620
06-11-2008, 09:42 PM
The importance of tomorrow's game is we need Mark Buehrle to pitch well in back-to-back outings. This Good Mark, Bad Mark stuff has gone on far enough.

Good Mark appeared last Saturday against Minnesota. I'd like him to stay for awhile, because we need him.

ABSOLUTELY AGREE

JB98
06-11-2008, 09:42 PM
I don't think we've reached the praying point yet. It's not bad if the tribe loses either.

I'd rather have the Tribe lose. Unlike Minnesota, Cleveland has enough starting pitching to make a significant run.

BadBobbyJenks
06-11-2008, 09:44 PM
Damn its game 7 tomorrow? How long was I in a coma?

Frater Perdurabo
06-11-2008, 09:47 PM

I'd like to see more Good Mark, too. Good Mark brings wins.

kittle42
06-11-2008, 09:48 PM
Seriously, do some of you realize the season is 162 games long?

Oh, wait, I forgot. There were people watching the standings the first week of the season.

Also, you should be hoping Cleveland loses against Minnesota, in my opinion, for the same reasons others here have stated. Minnesota is no threat.

ms620
06-11-2008, 09:50 PM
One glaring positive I got out of this game: Brian Anderson is looking very good. Not saying he should be a starter. But he is turning into a very good Sub.

chisoxmike
06-11-2008, 09:51 PM
Tomorrow is not a must in terms of the game being "the season" or anything like that. But I would say it would be a good idea to win tomorrows game because you don't want the Tigers to sweep you and then think they're a good team. There's still a lot of season left.

soxpride724
06-11-2008, 09:52 PM
Better win tomorrow or another rant is warranted. ****in Detroit!

Noneck
06-11-2008, 09:52 PM
I'd like to see more Good Mark, too. Good Mark brings wins.
I want to see the guy paid as the stopper, act as the stopper.

chisoxfanatic
06-11-2008, 09:53 PM

No, it is not. Ozzie shouldn't go on a rant even if they do get swept. His selective ranting is more effective than constant ranting when a thing or two don't go their way.

ms620
06-11-2008, 09:53 PM
Tomorrow is not a must in terms of the game being "the season" or anything like that. But I would say it would be a good idea to win tomorrows game because you don't want the Tigers to sweep you and then think they're a good team. There's still a lot of season left.

I agree it would be very nice to win tomorrow. But just remember how many "must win games" they had in '05 that they didnt win.

Vernam
06-11-2008, 09:54 PM
Damn its game 7 tomorrow? How long was I in a coma?:roflmao:

My DVR recorded the afternoon replay of yesterday's game and skipped today's game. :angry: I got a little excited when Ramirez stole 2B again off Rodriguez, but then I saw Jose pitching and realized I'd been hosed.

So I guess I'll reserve comment on today's actual game, other than to say we've been spoiled for several years by the Sox's dominance of Detroit. So maybe those guys were due for some payback. Doesn't mean they'll climb back in the race any more than it means we'll fall out of it.

Vernam

turners56
06-11-2008, 09:55 PM
Fixed it for ya.

I fixed it for myself about a minute ago :).

soxpride724
06-11-2008, 09:55 PM
No, it is not. Ozzie shouldn't go on a rant even if they do get swept. His selective ranting is more effective than constant ranting when a thing or two don't go their way.

I know, and I try to tell myself that, but this was OUR series to take, Detroit has been terrible.

Patrick134
06-11-2008, 09:56 PM

The Tigers have slumped mightly, and had some injuries, but they are a very good team, and they knew it before this Sox series. The Sox knew it too.

Frater Perdurabo
06-11-2008, 09:56 PM
One glaring positive I got out of this game: Brian Anderson is looking very good. Not saying he should be a starter. But he is turning into a very good Sub.

I'll go on record and say BA should be getting four starts per week, with Swisher getting the other 2-3 starts per week and also getting starts at 1B, RF, LF and DH when opposing starting pitchers pose matchup problems for PK, JD, TCQ or JT.

chisoxfanatic
06-11-2008, 09:57 PM
I know, and I try to tell myself that, but this was OUR series to take, Detroit has been terrible.

Even a goddess has a bad hair day.

turners56
06-11-2008, 09:57 PM
Damn its game 7 tomorrow? How long was I in a coma?

It's not that if we don't win, the season's over, it's the fact that we don't want Detroit to get all giddy and start thinking they're good. This Detroit team was mentally down when we got into town, they've been mentally down all season. Waking them up is like giving the Sox some actual competition in the division.

BadBobbyJenks
06-11-2008, 09:58 PM

Theres only so many times Ozzie can go to the whip.

We play Colorado and Pittsburgh after this. It is no big deal if we lose tomorrow and I have some serious doubts about us hitting Rogers.

soxpride724
06-11-2008, 09:59 PM
It's not that if we don't win, the season's over, it's the fact that we don't want Detroit to get all giddy and start thinking they're good. This Detroit team was mentally down when we got into town, they've been mentally down all season. Waking them up is like giving the Sox some actual competition in the division.

Hurt them while they are already hurt. I know, you don't want this team to have any momentum.

BadBobbyJenks
06-11-2008, 10:00 PM

Hurt them while they are already hurt. I know, you don't want this team to have any momentum.

Like our momentum of 7 straight carried us right through Detroit?

Soxman219
06-11-2008, 10:01 PM
The Sox are on a five game road losing streak. Winning at home is great but if you want to be an elite team, you must win on the road. Detroit was bound to win a series against us sometime so I'm not a worried. I am worried however how inconsisent we get after we get a winning streak. It's always a 8 game win streak, then a 3 game losing streak.

Let's get a win tomorrow and come back home on a winning note.

Stringer
06-11-2008, 10:01 PM

bingo

PhillipsBubba
06-11-2008, 10:03 PM
We are bold. We are brave. We are Marist. And we're proud of our glorious name.

M-A-R-I-S-T, Gooooooooooooooo Redskins!

Class of 1970 here!:gulp:

turners56
06-11-2008, 10:04 PM
Like our momentum of 7 straight carried us right through Detroit?

It should of. :shrug: :redneck

Lip Man 1
The Sox have also yet to score over four runs in a game in those past five road games.

Very disappointing past few nights and a quick turnaround time tomorrow.

Just get it done.

Lip

soxpride724

X2

turners56
06-11-2008, 10:05 PM
The Sox have also yet to score over four runs in a game in those past five road games.

Very disappointing past few nights and a quick turnaround time tomorrow.

Just get it done.

Lip

Good thing we have 6 more home games after the game tomorrow.

PhillipsBubba
06-11-2008, 10:05 PM
Time for Ozzie to go postal on the pitchers!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

turners56
06-11-2008, 10:06 PM
X2

To add on to that, we did somewhat carry it over, had it not been for some terribly bad mental mistakes. Don't forget, we had 12 hits last night. It's not like we struggled for 4 runs on 6 hits.

turners56
06-11-2008, 10:07 PM

Javy has had two very mediocre/bad starts of late. Maybe it's that time of year.

PhillipsBubba
06-11-2008, 10:10 PM

Sorry guys, just a little levity to break the tension!:bandance:

JB98
06-11-2008, 10:12 PM
I'll go on record and say BA should be getting four starts per week, with Swisher getting the other 2-3 starts per week and also getting starts at 1B, RF, LF and DH when opposing starting pitchers pose matchup problems for PK, JD, TCQ or JT.

I don't think so. Swisher was a huge part of that seven-game winning streak. He's going to come back to his career norms. We lived through the slump. Now, we might as well benefit from his rebound.

I like BA right where he is. He's being used as a late-inning defensive replacement when the Sox have the lead. That's a role he excels in. I do think Brian is the guy who can give a spot start when we face a pitcher that another hitter in the lineup struggles against.

Take tonight, for example. Paulie is 3-for-24 lifetime against Verlander. Ozzie chose wisely in giving Konerko a break tonight. He plugs Brian in, and BA was one of the few Sox to play well tonight.

I still think Anderson is right where he belongs. He's been used in places where he can succeed, and he's doing a good job in a part-time role. I think BA is our 10th man, not Swisher. Nick is an everyday guy in my mind.

Tragg
06-11-2008, 10:16 PM
I'd say a couple of starts per week...although I am curious as to what he'd do with a lot of starting because he's had some good games this year and is clearly improved.

It's Time
06-11-2008, 10:21 PM
It's the kind of series that could get Detroit on a long roll if they sweep. That's why tomorrow is a big game, but certainly not a must win.

ms620
06-11-2008, 10:25 PM
I'd say a couple of starts per week...although I am curious as to what he'd do with a lot of starting because he's had some good games this year and is clearly improved.

I think use him exactly how Ozzie is using him. Spot start him, defensive replacement. He is there in case they suffer any injuries and reshuffle. As the season goes on, he will become more and more valuable if he can perform when called upon.

kittle42
06-11-2008, 10:27 PM

This thread generally sucks, so I will take this opportunity, finally...

It's "should have." There is no "should of."

Frontman
06-11-2008, 10:29 PM
This was terrible baseball tonight. Last night at least they got some hits, but this game was horrid.

WhiteSox5187
06-11-2008, 10:36 PM
Well, this team is nothing if not inconsistent. We're going to pound the hell out of the ball for two weeks and then go ice cold for stretches of a time. That's just the way this team is built.

Having said that we ran into some really good pitching today and the Tigers' bats appear to be coming alive again. Not a whole lot we can do about that. I am somewhat unnerved by two poor pitching performances in a row, but I'm not going to sweat that. Let's win tomorrow and then go home and beat up on Colorado and Pittsburgh.

WhiteSox5187
06-11-2008, 10:39 PM
Seriously, do some of you realize the season is 162 games long?

Oh, wait, I forgot. There were people watching the standings the first week of the season.

Also, you should be hoping Cleveland loses against Minnesota, in my opinion, for the same reasons others here have stated. Minnesota is no threat.

How many times have we said that in June only to see them go on to play in October while we stay home? Like you said, this season is a 162 games long, and a lot of things can happen, including the Sox falling apart. I'm not saying that's what's going to happen, but don't lull yourself into a false sense of security. This division isn't wrapped up by any means.

SluggersAway
06-11-2008, 10:40 PM
This thread generally sucks, so I will take this opportunity, finally...

It's "should have." There is no "should of."

I am mortified to read that “should of” could possibly be considered correct usage!!! What the hell is the world coming to?!?!? Oh, I already know - a nation of illiterate, inarticulate idiots.

SluggersAway
06-11-2008, 10:42 PM
Well, this team is nothing if not inconsistent. We're going to pound the hell out of the ball for two weeks and then go ice cold for stretches of a time. That's just the way this team is built.

Inconsistent? Ice cold for stretches of a time?

You can tell that from only two games in Detroit with pitchers that looked to be getting back to form?

JB98
06-11-2008, 10:47 PM
How many times have we said that in June only to see them go on to play in October while we stay home? Like you said, this season is a 162 games long, and a lot of things can happen, including the Sox falling apart. I'm not saying that's what's going to happen, but don't lull yourself into a false sense of security. This division isn't wrapped up by any means.

Not at all, but Cleveland is the team to worry about.

Minnesota's rotation: Hernandez, Blackburn, Baker, Slowey, Perkins
Cleveland's rotation: Sabathia, Carmona, Lee, Byrd, Laffey

Which do you think is more capable of a long winning streak?

The Twins don't have Santana and Hunter anymore. This is a new era in the American League Central.

Knowing kittle42's posting record, I'm confident he is not printing any playoff tickets yet.

WhiteSox5187
06-11-2008, 10:51 PM
Not at all, but Cleveland is the team to worry about.

Minnesota's rotation: Hernandez, Blackburn, Baker, Slowey, Perkins
Cleveland's rotation: Sabathia, Carmona, Lee, Byrd, Laffey

Which do you think is more capable of a long winning streak?

The Twins don't have Santana and Hunter anymore. This is a new era in the American League Central.

Knowing kittle42's posting record, I'm confident he is not printing any playoff tickets yet.

I'm not saying that he is, but I'm just saying not to count Minnesota out right now either. Truth be told I'm equally as worried about Cleveland as I am about Minnesota and I wouldn't be shocked to see Detroit make a run at us some point this year. I (and everyone else here I hope) really want to put as much ground between us and everyone else. That way if we struggle for a couple of weeks (like we did when went up to Toronto and Minnesota) we come back from that nightmare and still have a five game lead over everyone.

BadBobbyJenks
06-11-2008, 10:54 PM
I'm not saying that he is, but I'm just saying not to count Minnesota out right now either. Truth be told I'm equally as worried about Cleveland as I am about Minnesota and I wouldn't be shocked to see Detroit make a run at us some point this year. I (and everyone else here I hope) really want to put as much ground between us and everyone else. That way if we struggle for a couple of weeks (like we did when went up to Toronto and Minnesota) we come back from that nightmare and still have a five game lead over everyone.

Minnesota sucks. I can say with 100% confidence they will not be in the race on September 1st.

Pear-Zin-Ski
06-11-2008, 10:56 PM
This was terrible baseball tonight. Last night at least they got some hits, but this game was horrid.

Amen!

Speaking of inconsistent...how about OC's defense?

It sure would be nice to have Dye DH once in a while and have BA out there to speed up our outfield...JD has really hurt us with those slow legs in RF from time to time....

As if it isn't already obvious to everyone the key for us this year is for our starters to keep the opposition to 3 runs or less...it sure would be nice for some decent patient hitting to return....

Go get em tomorrow guys....

LoveYourSuit
06-11-2008, 11:24 PM
My biggest concern about this team right now is their lack of focus when playing on the road. It appears that most of their mental breakdowns, bad defense, and bad baserunning all take place when playing road games.

A true World Series contender usually plays solid fundamental baseball on the road. I was reading a stat the other day that we went 52-29 on the road in 2005... WOW!!!

kobo
06-11-2008, 11:34 PM
My biggest concern about this team right now is their lack of focus when playing on the road. It appears that most of their mental breakdowns, bad defense, and bad baserunning all take place when playing road games.

A true World Series contender usually plays solid fundamental baseball on the road. I was reading a stat the other day that we went 52-29 on the road in 2005... WOW!!!
Yes, they had a better road than home record that year. I remember talking to my Dad as that season went on about how good they were on the road.

Tragg
06-11-2008, 11:41 PM
I think use him exactly how Ozzie is using him. Spot start him, defensive replacement. He is there in case they suffer any injuries and reshuffle. As the season goes on, he will become more and more valuable if he can perform when called upon.
That's hard though - on any given night, yoiu better get a few hits. Not one can perform like that.

LoveYourSuit
06-11-2008, 11:43 PM
Yes, they had a better road than home record that year. I remember talking to my Dad as that season went on about how good they were on the road.

Well, they usually say in any sport, 1st team to steal a road victory in an series (best of 5 or7) usually ends up winning that series.

I just hope our offense this year is not a replica of those Texas Ranger teams earlier this decade ..........Home / Road splits were extremely one way.

kittle42
06-11-2008, 11:46 PM

I'm the last person who thinks this division is anywhere resembling "won."

whitesox901
06-11-2008, 11:51 PM
we went 7 in a row, i figured once it ended we'd get slapped around for a bit, go get em tommarow boys! ill be at the game!

LoveYourSuit
06-12-2008, 12:17 AM
Another observation from tonight, Does Loaiza look like dead meat up there or what? Scoreless inning but I don't think he featured a single fastball unless his fastball right now is topping out at 78 MPH.... that's the highest reading I saw tonight. His arm angle looks very uncomfortable also, I think this guy is still hurt.

gobears1987
06-12-2008, 01:18 AM
I hate to have to be the voice of reason here, but Verlander IS a good pitcher. He has been up there Cy Young voting, and he has tossed a no hitter. This isn't some schmuck who was just brought up.

TomBradley72
06-12-2008, 01:33 AM
I hate to have to be the voice of reason here, but Verlander IS a good pitcher. He has been up there Cy Young voting, and he has tossed a no hitter. This isn't some schmuck who was just brought up.

2.57 ERA over his last 6 starts.

gobears1987
06-12-2008, 01:46 AM
2.57 ERA over his last 6 starts.Ding!

Last night, there was no excuse. However, tonight we just ran into good pitching and good pitching always beats good hitting.

ms620
06-12-2008, 06:29 AM
People need to realize that the sox do not always lose, sometimes the other teams win. They have a pitcher on the mound just like we do. If we only score 1 run, it isnt always b/c are hitters are inconsistent, or are just trying to hit home runs. He obviously had great stuff last night. Give him credit. We will get beat by good pitchers many more times this season.

Hitmen77
06-12-2008, 09:26 AM
I like BA right where he is. He's being used as a late-inning defensive replacement when the Sox have the lead. That's a role he excels in. I do think Brian is the guy who can give a spot start when we face a pitcher that another hitter in the lineup struggles against.

Take tonight, for example. Paulie is 3-for-24 lifetime against Verlander. Ozzie chose wisely in giving Konerko a break tonight. He plugs Brian in, and BA was one of the few Sox to play well tonight.

I still think Anderson is right where he belongs. He's been used in places where he can succeed, and he's doing a good job in a part-time role. I think BA is our 10th man, not Swisher. Nick is an everyday guy in my mind.

The great thing about BA hitting well right now is that he can essentially be put in the lineup when one of 5 of our regulars need a day off. Swisher, Quentin, Dye, Konerko, Thome. If one of these guys needs a day off or is injured, put Anderson in CF and shift guys over as needed.

That happens often enough to give Anderson decent amount of playing time and allows Ozzie to rest these guys on a regular enough basis so as to not wear them out.

palehozenychicty
06-12-2008, 09:32 AM
:roflmao:

My DVR recorded the afternoon replay of yesterday's game and skipped today's game. :angry: I got a little excited when Ramirez stole 2B again off Rodriguez, but then I saw Jose pitching and realized I'd been hosed.

So I guess I'll reserve comment on today's actual game, other than to say we've been spoiled for several years by the Sox's dominance of Detroit. So maybe those guys were due for some payback. Doesn't mean they'll climb back in the race any more than it means we'll fall out of it.

Vernam

Thank you. The Sox haven't played well, but Detroit still has some quality players. I doubt that they have enough pitching to catch up, but it's still only June. A win today would slow them down some.

SoxGirl4Life
06-12-2008, 09:39 AM
People need to realize that the sox do not always lose, sometimes the other teams win. They have a pitcher on the mound just like we do. If we only score 1 run, it isnt always b/c are hitters are inconsistent, or are just trying to hit home runs. He obviously had great stuff last night. Give him credit. We will get beat by good pitchers many more times this season.

I agree. Detroit won last night. Sox lost Tuesday.

ondafarm
06-12-2008, 09:40 AM

The guy threw a good game. Tip your cap and move on.

asindc
06-12-2008, 09:44 AM

No need to hate being the voice of reason ( some of us welcome it). Verlander is an elite pitcher who pitched like one last night. End of story.

Lillian
06-12-2008, 10:00 AM
A few of you posted comments in this thread about Brian Anderson. It's interesting to note that if you take out his few at bats vs Lefties, he has put up very good numbers: He's hitting .292 with a .324 OBP and a .400 SLG.

I understand that it's a very small sample, but it does suggest that Ozzie shouldn't be thinking to start him against Lefties only.
He has been consistently making a contribution, either with his bat or his glove.
I'd love to see him get a little more playing time.

ElmhurstMarcus
06-12-2008, 10:45 AM
This series was a great opportunity to bury the Tigers once and for all. If anything, our lack luster play inspires the enemy instead of breaks their will. We need to win today, so we can leave town 10 up. Remember these guys get their bullpen back soon.

Carolina Kenny
06-12-2008, 10:54 AM
Its a big game today, as big as it can get in June.

I have a feeling our boys will come thru.

Something special is happening this year for the White Sox.

spiffie
06-12-2008, 10:59 AM
As obnoxious as these last two games have been, if they can win today, then Detroit will have burned through 3 games with the division leader, and still end up with a double digit deficit. Its kind of like the game last Monday, where after all the beatings the Sox laid down the first three games, a win by the Twins would have meant only a 2 game drop in the standings for them. Against the Twins we put the boot in their throat and made the weekend really hurt. Now the Sox need to go the other way and minimize the damage. Come out of this series still with a 10 game lead on the Tigers and while you would hope for better its hard to feel too unhappy about it.

TomBradley72
06-12-2008, 11:00 AM
A few of you posted comments in this thread about Brian Anderson. It's interesting to note that if you take out his few at bats vs Lefties, he has put up very good numbers: He's hitting .292 with a .324 OBP and a .400 SLG.

I understand that it's a very small sample, but it does suggest that Ozzie shouldn't be thinking to start him against Lefties only.
He has been consistently making a contribution, either with his bat or his glove.
I'd love to see him get a little more playing time.

For me, BA has now proved he belongs in the major leagues for good. We just have too many OFs for him to be an eveyday starter (barring injury) this year. Over the past 30 days, he's hitting .294 (better than Dye, Quentin, Swisher, Thome, Konerko), always delivers great defense, adds a little speed to the line up. If he played every day...I think he would deliver .265-10-70 while playing GG defense. With Swisher getting hot, the best he'll get this year is 4th OF playing time.

Between spring training and the regular season, he's put together 3+ months of solid baseball...I think he's proven he belongs. A 2009 outfield of Swisher/Anderson/Quentin w/Dye going to DH makes sense to me.

VeeckAsInWreck
06-12-2008, 11:02 AM
I just want to say that today's game is not a "must win". It'd be nice if the sweep by the Tiggers can be avoided but this game is not a "must win".

Carolina Kenny
06-12-2008, 11:09 AM
I just want to say that today's game is not a "must win". It'd be nice if the sweep by the Tiggers can be avoided but this game is not a "must win".

There is no "must" win in June, but it sure would get the weekend off to a sweet start if the Sox could beat their old (and I mean old) nemises, the Gambler Kenny Rodgers.

JB98
06-12-2008, 12:57 PM
There is no "must" win in June, but it sure would get the weekend off to a sweet start if the Sox could beat their old (and I mean old) nemises, the Gambler Kenny Rodgers.

I've always hated faced Rogers. He has a 1.29 ERA in his last three starts The task today is a difficult one. Hopefully, the Sox can get it done.

oeo
06-12-2008, 01:01 PM
The game today is not that big. Detroit is in a big hole, and a series sweep isn't going to fix the problems with their pitching staff.

At this point, it's like saying if the Royals swept us last week, we're letting them get back into this thing. Detroit has serious issues with their team...a sweep of the White Sox won't magically make things better.

delben91
06-12-2008, 02:23 PM
I was at the game last night, as I'm sure has been rehashed, not a great night for Javy or the Sox.

On the amusing side, some things I learned from the "fans" sitting behind me.

1. (2nd inning) Ivan Rodriguez is the best defensive catcher in the history of baseball.
2. (4th inning) Curtis Granderson hit 9 HRs in his first two games off the DL and should be on the All-Star team as a result
3. (5th inning) Ivan Rodriguez is the best baseball player to ever play the game.
4. (8th inning) Brent Clevlen will be on the All-Star team because he is the best defensive outfielder in the AL.

I know I was certainly enlightened. These guys didn't do your fanbase any favors last night Oblong. :o:

Cuck the Fubs
06-12-2008, 02:52 PM
A 2009 outfield of Swisher/Anderson/Quentin w/Dye going to DH makes sense to me.

I really like the sound of that :cool:

Make it so! :D:

PeteWard
06-12-2008, 02:54 PM

Must win? Dumbest ****ing post of the year.

PeteWard
06-12-2008, 02:59 PM
The Sox are on a five game road losing streak. Winning at home is great but if you want to be an elite team, you must win on the road. Detroit was bound to win a series against us sometime so I'm not a worried. I am worried however how inconsisent we get after we get a winning streak. It's always a 8 game win streak, then a 3 game losing streak.

Like Boston for example?

What a bunch of whiners on this board,. :mad:

PeteWard
06-12-2008, 03:00 PM

It should have.

PeteWard
06-12-2008, 03:02 PM
I am mortified to read that “should of” could possibly be considered correct usage!!! What the hell is the world coming to?!?!? Oh, I already know - a nation of illiterate, inarticulate idiots.

No teal needed.

PeteWard
06-12-2008, 03:04 PM
Its a big game today, as big as it can get in June.

I have a feeling our boys will come thru.

Something special is happening this year for the White Sox.

Bigger than the Twins games last weekend? Get a grip.

asindc
06-12-2008, 03:04 PM
Like Boston for example?

What a bunch of whiners on this board,. :mad:

Thank you, Mr. Ward. Sincerely.