PDA

View Full Version : Soriano Injured?

MCHSoxFan
06-11-2008, 08:42 PM
He just got nailed in the rist. I will update later.

chisoxfanatic
06-11-2008, 08:44 PM
:rolleyes:

DumpJerry
06-11-2008, 08:46 PM
I hate it when I get nails in my rist.

chisoxfanatic
06-11-2008, 08:47 PM
I've been typing a lot today, and now my rist hurts.

kittle42
06-11-2008, 08:47 PM
Who cares? Yet another team getting shelled by the mighty Cubs, I see.

DumpJerry
06-11-2008, 08:54 PM
Why aren't you watching the Good Guys?

chisoxfanatic
06-11-2008, 09:01 PM
Why aren't you watching the Good Guys?

He's probably pissed that Pods isn't playing. Just check his sig.

FarWestChicago
06-11-2008, 09:21 PM
He just got nailed in the rist. I will update later.Keep the Flubsessed **** where it belongs or you will not be updating for a long time.

DSpivack
06-11-2008, 09:37 PM
Who cares? Yet another team getting shelled by the mighty Cubs, I see.

Versus never-was Braves starter Jeff Bennett tonight.

thomas35forever
06-11-2008, 09:40 PM
My rist is gonna be sore for a week because I kept waving my hanky at the Wolves game last night.

Hitmen77
06-11-2008, 09:43 PM
Robbie Rist played Cousin Oliver on the Brady Bunch:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.interviewinghollywood.com/images/robbie-rist.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.interviewinghollywood.com/robbie-rist.html&h=300&w=356&sz=34&tbnid=KSj5jy27WxYJ::&tbnh=102&tbnw=121&prev=/images%3Fq%3Drobbie%2Brist&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=1&ct=image&cd=1

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/livoenline/images/celebritology/oliver_l.jpg

SoxSpeed22
06-11-2008, 09:44 PM
Another spelling joke thread. Let's see how long our rists can keep this up.

kittle42
06-11-2008, 09:50 PM
Versus never-was Braves starter Jeff Bennett tonight.

The Sox have lost to many a crappy pitcher. It's not an excuse for the ease of the Cubs' victory.

Hit and execute like the Sox have the last two days next weekend, and this place will be ridiculously unreadable.

DSpivack
06-11-2008, 09:51 PM
The Sox have lost to many a crappy pitcher. It's not an excuse for the ease of the Cubs' victory.

True, but the Braves got caught in a jam when Glavine went down, their 4th starting pitcher now injured, and had to start a reliever. That's often a good formula for success for most opposing teams.

kittle42
06-11-2008, 09:53 PM
True, but the Braves got caught in a jam when Glavine went down, their 4th starting pitcher now injured, and had to start a reliever. That's often a good formula for success for most opposing teams.

True that, but it seems *every* series, someone has yet another "excuse" why the Cubs win.

Maybe it's just that they're really good?

DSpivack
06-11-2008, 09:54 PM
True that, but it seems *every* series, someone has yet another "excuse" why the Cubs win.

Oh, I wasn't trying to make an excuse for what looks to be an easy win tonight, I'm just saying they caught a break. That said, I'd say they are clearly the best team in the NL thus far. I like that the Cardinals are just 2.5 back, though how they're winning I don't know.

Marqhead
06-11-2008, 10:17 PM
Fractured hand per ESPN.

Out a minimum of 6 weeks.

JB98
06-11-2008, 10:22 PM
Fractured hand per ESPN.

Out a minimum of 6 weeks.

If true, now there's a break for the White Sox.

Soriano KILLED us last year at the Cell, putting us behind 1-0 immediately in all three contests.

So many people want to just concede the NL Central if not the entire National League to the Cubs. I don't think so. They'll have to battle to get to the postseason, just like everyone else.

It's Time
06-11-2008, 10:25 PM
Hit by pitch and a broken hand. Meh, they went on an absolute tear without him when he was gone for 2 weeks earlier in the year.

They have so many weapons over there that this will probably be only a minor problem for them. That said, he was on a tear himself and on pace for 35 HR and about 100 RBI.

peeonwrigley
06-11-2008, 10:25 PM
Oh, I wasn't trying to make an excuse for what looks to be an easy win tonight, I'm just saying they caught a break. That said, I'd say they are clearly the best team in the NL thus far. I like that the Cardinals are just 2.5 back, though how they're winning I don't know.

If the Cards can go even .500 the next 3 weeks w/out Wainwright and Albert I'll be convinced they can hang around through the rest of the season.

kittle42
06-11-2008, 10:30 PM
So many people want to just concede the NL Central if not the entire National League to the Cubs. I don't think so. They'll have to battle to get to the postseason, just like everyone else.

It's like reverse HomeFish.

JB98
06-11-2008, 10:38 PM
Hit by pitch and a broken hand. Meh, they went on an absolute tear without him when he was gone for 2 weeks earlier in the year.

They have so many weapons over there that this will probably be only a minor problem for them. That said, he was on a tear himself and on pace for 35 HR and about 100 RBI.

You are only half right. I just looked it up. Soriano was placed on the DL on April 16. He came off May 1.

Right after Soriano got hurt, the Cubs won six out of seven. However, their worst stretch of the season was from April 24-May 2, at which time they dropped six out of eight. They perked up again when Soriano rejoined the team.

Make no mistake, the loss of Soriano for a significant period weakens them. Fortunately for the Sox, they will play the Cubs during this time frame.

thomas35forever
06-11-2008, 10:41 PM
That's gotta suck for him. However, I agree with the posters that say this might just be a minor setback for the hard-hitting Cubs. Then again, as Chet Steadman said in Rookie of the Year, "Hey we're the Cubs, you never know."

JB98
06-11-2008, 10:41 PM
It's like reverse HomeFish.

Seriously, if the Cubs are guaranteed division champs because they have a 2.5-game lead on June 11, then all us Sox fans should make plans for October baseball as well. We're up 5.5 on June 11.

There's such a long way to go and so much can happen.

chisoxmike
06-11-2008, 10:43 PM
The thing is, Soriano is just one of the many hitters and sluggers in that lineup. He's not even the best player on the team in my opinion. Soriano being out a month isn't as devastating as Pujols being out for a month for the Cardinals.

JB98
06-11-2008, 10:55 PM
The thing is, Soriano is just one of the many hitters and sluggers in that lineup. He's not even the best player on the team in my opinion. Soriano being out a month isn't as devastating as Pujols being out for a month for the Cardinals.

He's not their best player. Lee is. But he is their most difficult hitter to pitch to. When he's hot, you can't throw him a strike because he'll hit the ball either off the wall or over it.

They are less explosive without him in the lineup.

It's Time
06-11-2008, 11:02 PM
He's not their best player. Lee is. But he is their most difficult hitter to pitch to. When he's hot, you can't throw him a strike because he'll hit the ball either off the wall or over it.

They are less explosive without him in the lineup.

I think Ramirez and Fukodome are actually better then, or on par with Lee. I think Soriano is their 4th or 5th best player, which shows how deep they really are.

Jerry Seinfeld
06-11-2008, 11:16 PM
Oh man, that goat strikes again...

JB98
06-11-2008, 11:17 PM
I think Ramirez and Fukodome are actually better then, or on par with Lee. I think Soriano is their 4th or 5th best player, which shows how deep they really are.

Ramirez needs Lee. Lee doesn't need Ramirez. A couple years ago when Lee got hurt, Ramirez went into a deep funk. He can't carry a team by himself. Aramis is a wing man. He's needs Derrek Lee hitting in front of him to put up the numbers he does.

If you think Fukudome is on par or better than Lee, Soriano or Ramirez, I think you've been reading too many newspapers. Fukudome is not a middle of the order hitter. I didn't watch any of the Flub game tonight, but Fukudome entered tonight's action with just four homers and only 24 RBIs. That's not good production from a No. 5 hitter.

Lip Man 1
06-11-2008, 11:24 PM
It is a break the Sox will miss Soriano however Piniella announced yesterday that he is changing their rotation so the Sox now get Zambrano twice. That according to the Tribune.

Lip

LoveYourSuit
06-11-2008, 11:37 PM

Hit and execute like the Sox have the last two days next weekend, and this place will be ridiculously unreadable.

Why do you always say things like this and if this is the way you feel why even come here?

If I was as bitter as you about the OPINIONS and thoughts of other Sox fans, I would have donated my computer to charity already.

Unreal

Frontman
06-11-2008, 11:38 PM
At least 6 weeks is the report. A pitch on the hand. Ouch. I never want to see a player get hurt, especially in the course of play.

Now, hopping while catching a ball? That's just silly.

Frontman
06-11-2008, 11:41 PM

Ok, and your point?

Yeah, the Cubs are a good team. The better team will win the games between the Sox and the Cubs on that day. But at the end of the season, if neither team wins the Series; the 6 games between them mean nothing but an afternoon of baseball in Chicago.

kobo
If you think Fukudome is on par or better than Lee, Soriano or Ramirez, I think you've been reading too many newspapers. Fukudome is not a middle of the order hitter. I didn't watch any of the Flub game tonight, but Fukudome entered tonight's action with just four homers and only 24 RBIs. That's not good production from a No. 5 hitter.
Fukudome is hitting 5th because they have to put Soriano in the 1 hole meaning Theriot hits 2nd. Fukudome should be hitting in the 2 hole and probably will now with Soriano out. He is patient, he works count, he hits for average, he does everything a 2 hitter should do.

It's Time
Why do you always say things like this and if this is the way you feel why even come here?

If I was as bitter as you about the OPINIONS and thoughts of other Sox fans, I would have donated my computer to charity already.

Unreal

I think he is trying to say that if the White Sox bring the type of game to Wrigley that they have to Detroit, they are going to get their asses handed to them next weekend and this place will become a shrinks chair.

Do you even remember getting swept by them at the Cell last year? It was not pretty.

kobo
06-11-2008, 11:44 PM

Unreal
Because he's absolutely right. This place will be a nightmare because everyone will lose their **** and just bitch and bitch and bitch about every little thing. Those opinions you speak of are more like lunatic ravings.

kittle42
06-11-2008, 11:50 PM

Unreal

I have a feeling many here, including at least some mods, generally agree with me. You don't realize what a ****storm of Mariotti-esque venom this place would be?

I value opinions of my fellow fans, just not when they're blown out of their asses.

LoveYourSuit
06-11-2008, 11:50 PM
Because he's absolutely right. This place will be a nightmare because everyone will lose their **** and just bitch and bitch and bitch about every little thing. Those opinions you speak of are more like lunatic ravings.

Exactly, so why tune in if you already know what to expect?

kittle42
06-11-2008, 11:52 PM
Ok, and your point?

Yeah, the Cubs are a good team. The better team will win the games between the Sox and the Cubs on that day. But at the end of the season, if neither team wins the Series; the 6 games between them mean nothing but an afternoon of baseball in Chicago.

Point is, as I said in another thread, hate them all you want (I sure do), but admit it when they may actually be good.

Believe me, I don't want to be right in my thought that they are solid. I want them to collapse. So I hope I'm wrong.

kittle42
06-11-2008, 11:53 PM

Need to balance out the lunacy, of course.

I've always hated this argument. It's like the "why did you read this thread if you knew there might be something you disagreed with?" The answer: because people who say thoughtless **** should get questioned about it.

This is a forum. We often debate here. That's how it should be.

Frontman
06-11-2008, 11:53 PM
I have a feeling many here, including at least some mods, generally agree with me. You don't realize what a ****storm of Mariotti-esque venom this place would be?

I value opinions of my fellow fans, just not when they're blown out of their asses.

What about those fans who seem to do nothing but blow their opinions out their asses? I can think of at least 3 who you probably avoid, avoid, avoid at all possible times. :wink:

Frontman
06-11-2008, 11:54 PM
Point is, as I said in another thread, hate them all you want (I sure do), but admit it when they may actually be good.

Believe me, I don't want to be right in my thought that they are solid. I want them to collapse. So I hope I'm wrong.

I said it last year, as they approached the playoffs. Pinella didn't have the team he needed, but with a few tweaks, they have a solid chance at it in 2008.

Barring of course injuries.

Which their home run leader just went out for 6 weeks.

Still half a season of baseball to be played.

kobo
06-11-2008, 11:55 PM
Because it's like a car accident, just can't look away.

kobo
06-11-2008, 11:57 PM
I said it last year, as they approached the playoffs. Pinella didn't have the team he needed, but with a few tweaks, they have a solid chance at it in 2008.

Well, now we'll see if Edmonds really does have anything left. Have to figure he'll be starting in CF on a regular basis with Johnson in LF.

kittle42

Agreed.

It's Time
Ramirez needs Lee. Lee doesn't need Ramirez. A couple years ago when Lee got hurt, Ramirez went into a deep funk. He can't carry a team by himself. Aramis is a wing man. He's needs Derrek Lee hitting in front of him to put up the numbers he does.

Do you remember what Hawk said last year about Ramirez during the weekend series at the Cell?

:hawk
"Let me tell you about Aramis Ramirez, JB. Like I said last year, to me, he is every bit as dangerous as Manny Ramirez. He's just a flat out, great hitter."

kittle42
Well, now we'll see if Edmonds really does have anything left. Have to figure he'll be starting in CF on a regular basis with Johnson in LF.

They can play DeRosa regularly if they want, too.

LoveYourSuit

I agree with you that most Sox fans tend to fly off the handle easily (I admit that I might be one of them), but that's what makes these boards so fun to me. You get people's opinions coming out off left field which crack you up sometimes and once in a while there is a gem or two along the way.

I've been on other boards where everything is just plain vanilla and that's not fun. Some of those boards have even been closed for lack of participation because people felt intimidated to state their opinion or stress their anger. Why even post.

Anyway, too bad Soriano got hurt. Gives those ass clown fans an excuse when we take three at their park next week. I like to face the competition with all their weapons, that's just me.

kobo
06-12-2008, 12:14 AM
They can play DeRosa regularly if they want, too.
Yeah, forgot about him.

DumpJerry
06-12-2008, 12:16 AM
Swell. Now they will have someone in Left who will actually catch Thome's fly balls going the other way.:angry:

LoveYourSuit
06-12-2008, 12:18 AM
Swell. Now they will have someone in Left who will actually catch Thome's fly balls going the other way.:angry:

That's if makes contact ....:D:

DSpivack
06-12-2008, 12:30 AM

It matters who looks up and sees the balls land on Waveland? :tongue:

ilsox7
06-12-2008, 12:32 AM
Do you remember what Hawk said last year about Ramirez during the weekend series at the Cell?

"Let me tell you about Aramis Ramirez, JB. Like I said last year, to me, he is every bit as dangerous as Manny Ramirez. He's just a flat out, great hitter."

Hawk is wrong.

LoveYourSuit
06-12-2008, 12:35 AM

Who the hell is JB?

It's Time
06-12-2008, 12:38 AM
Who the hell is JB?

JB98 is the poster I quoted.

kittle42
06-12-2008, 12:57 AM
It matters who looks up and sees the balls land on Waveland? :tongue:

Well played!

areilly
06-12-2008, 01:04 AM

Also as dangerous, in Hawk's view, as Manny Ramirez: Ichiro, Nick Markakis, Grady Sizemore, Joe Mauer, Nick Swisher, Darrin Erstad.

QCIASOXFAN
06-12-2008, 04:55 AM
Also as dangerous, in Hawk's view, as Manny Ramirez: Ichiro, Nick Markakis, Grady Sizemore, Joe Mauer, Nick Swisher, Darrin Erstad.
You forgot Casey Blake, Mark Tehan and Jason Kubel.... true grinders!

fquaye149
06-12-2008, 05:48 AM
I never wish injury on a player etc etc

SoxGirl4Life
06-12-2008, 08:19 AM
I never wish injury on a player etc etc

On the Score last night, they were giddy that Pujols was injured. I say this is just Karma.

RedHeadPaleHoser
06-12-2008, 08:40 AM
On the Score last night, they were giddy that Pujols was injured. I say this is just Karma.

I'm not happy AS is hurt; does it make it more interesting for the Cubs the next two weekends? Yes. That said, almost all the people that work for me (Cub fans) were also giddy that Pujols went down. I can guarantee it will be quiet this morning when they want to talk about it. All I am going to say is, "Be Careful What You Wish For."

moochpuppy
06-12-2008, 08:48 AM
Fukudome is hitting 5th because they have to put Soriano in the 1 hole meaning Theriot hits 2nd. Fukudome should be hitting in the 2 hole and probably will now with Soriano out. He is patient, he works count, he hits for average, he does everything a 2 hitter should do.

Fukudome would be a great #2. All he does is get on base. (.404 OBP)

They won't be able to do this for about 6 weeks now but have they tried batting #1Soriano, #2 Fukudome and batting Theriot 8th? Not that Theriot is a terrible #2 (.400 OBP).

Cuck the Fubs
06-12-2008, 09:22 AM
I think they are a better team without Soriano myself.....the next six weeks will either sink or swim my theory :tongue:

jabrch
06-12-2008, 09:57 AM

Just like it was 10 days ago... and before that just like it was another 2 weeks earlier.

turners56
06-12-2008, 11:20 AM
At least 6 weeks is the report. A pitch on the hand. Ouch. I never want to see a player get hurt, especially in the course of play.

Now, hopping while catching a ball? That's just silly.

Looks like Reed Johnson will play everyday until July. What do you know? The Sox won't have to worry about Soriano's lead-off homers a week or two from now.

JB98
06-12-2008, 01:05 PM

LOL. There's no way I can shout down Hawk's infinite wisdom. :D:

Aramis Ramirez owns Jose Contreras. I think that's the reason Hawk thinks the Cubs' Ramirez is as good as Boston's. I would argue otherwise.

Manny is a HOF'er. Aramis, uhhh, no.

GregO23
06-12-2008, 01:11 PM
I have the same break that Soriano has right now, and I am at the 3 week point, and feel that I could take off the cast right now. I felt this way at the 2 and a half week point. I got the splint on my pinky finger though, while he will have it on his fourth finger(probably will be alot less uncomfortable) but being a pro athelte i bet he will be on rehab in 4 weeks. That is my prediction

white sox bill
06-12-2008, 03:37 PM
Alfonso lets in 1 run with his poor defensive skills for every 2 runs he produces. This is just a speed bump in thier journey---that hopefully ends in September. But don't count on it:(: They have too many arsenals

ondafarm
06-12-2008, 03:50 PM
I think they are a better team without Soriano myself.....the next six weeks will either sink or swim my theory :tongue:

Ditto.

turners56
06-12-2008, 04:56 PM

Nonsense. Soriano might be the worst leadoff hitter and left fielder in the NL, but that doesn't make him a bad baseball player. He's got a lot of power and he was hitting .283...

What's the odds Reed Johnson does any better?

DSpivack
06-12-2008, 05:13 PM
Nonsense. Soriano might be the worst leadoff hitter and left fielder in the NL, but that doesn't make him a bad baseball player. He's got a lot of power and he was hitting .283...

What's the odds Reed Johnson does any better?

Why would they automatically give Reed Johnson the job? He sucks. They're better off putting Derosa in LF and Cedeno at 2B. They also brought up Corey Pattersons little brother, Eric.

turners56
06-12-2008, 05:53 PM
Why would they automatically give Reed Johnson the job? He sucks. They're better off putting Derosa in LF and Cedeno at 2B. They also brought up Corey Pattersons little brother, Eric.

What are the odds that Eric Patterson will be better?

I see the Cedeno situation happening, which wouldn't be all that bad. This way, Theriot can lead off and the Cubs lineup might actually be more productive. Who knows. :shrug:

MCHSoxFan
06-13-2008, 11:06 AM

Yep. STL needs Pujols more than the C**s need Soriano, IMO. Other than when Soriano has a good bat, he is not that good. Or, what I should really say is that there is a lot of people who could replace him.