PDA

View Full Version : Cubs - Sox games biggest ever?

the1tab
06-11-2008, 08:30 AM
There's love and hate from both sides, but do the interleague games coming up the next few weekends mean more than any Cubs-Sox series in the history of the rivalry (not counting World Series games played before either World War)?

And is Mariotti's head going to explode because both teams are in first and playing in the same stadium? He's going to need therapy to get over the first half of this season...

Frontman
06-11-2008, 08:34 AM
I'm hoping for the Sox to take the majority of them; just to hear the spin of how even though head-to-head they lost, that the Cubs are still the better team.

Cuck the Fubs
06-11-2008, 08:38 AM
I'm hoping for the Sox to take the majority of them; just to hear the spin of how even though head-to-head they lost, that the Cubs are still the better team.

I'm right with you sir...right with you :cool:

mwc44
06-11-2008, 08:38 AM
Let's deal with Detroit, Colorado and Pittsburgh... first things first.

aryzner
06-11-2008, 08:46 AM
I'd say this is a big series in that we're in an unexpected first place this year and I'd like to keep it that way. Beating up on the Cubs is almost as good a feeling as beating up on the AL central.

Also, I hope the soccer choice was not a knock on soccer; i.e. "haha soccer is boring" stuff. I really do care about it this summer because the Euros are going on and they are awesome. Also, USA has some World Cup Qualifying matches coming up, as well as exciting possible transfers for some young American players.

jabrch
06-11-2008, 08:54 AM
It is big in the sense that both teams are legitimate contenders for the World Series this year, and this will be six games against top tier competition. That said, it is no bigger than 6 games against LAA, Boston, etc.

It is less big than 6 vs Minny. It is less big than 6 vs Cleve. It is less big than six vs Detroit. It's bigger than 6 vs KC - because they suck. :-)

sox1970
06-11-2008, 09:01 AM
Sox-Cubs will be over-hyped more than ever this year. It will be real annoying.

It's Time
06-11-2008, 09:24 AM
If someone said to me that we'll let the series be 3-3 and the games would be skipped, I'd be fine with that.

These games (every damn pitch for that matter) are too high intensity and my ticker doesn't need that.

Seriously, going 1-5 last year was about as bad as it gets for the silver and black.

roylestillman
06-11-2008, 09:30 AM
To be honest, I'm really getting tired of this series. It brings out the worst in both sets of fans. I'd rather trade three of the games for a series in Milwaukee.

hi im skot
06-11-2008, 09:31 AM
To be honest, I'm really getting tired of this series. It brings out the worst in both sets of fans. I'd rather trade three of the games for a series in Milwaukee.

Word.

These games are lame.

voodoochile
06-11-2008, 09:34 AM
Fun to view from afar. Not sure I'd want to go to the park again. I think this year things might get heated. From a purely Sox perspective I'd rather be playing the tribe or the Kittens or the Royals or even the Yankees.

Stay healthy and have some fun. It's like a summer holiday in Chicago.

comet2k
06-11-2008, 09:42 AM
With both teams in first (hopefully it stays that way) these games are more important than usual because it provides a good test against a top team from the other league, not just local bragging rights.

And the hype will be incredible this time, especially with ESPN bradcasting the two Sunday games. The whole country is going to hear about those games, and ESPN will make it sound like Game 7 of the World Series.

VeeckAsInWreck
06-11-2008, 09:43 AM
I'm sure the Chicago Police can't wait for the crosstown series!

This will be the most overhyped of all the series we've had with our neighbors to the north. Especially since "This is the year" for the Cubs and they're facing off against the White Sox who are managed by the always controversial Ozzie Guillen. I hate to sound like Hangar here but this is going to be a great opportunity for the media to sell this series as Good vs. Evil.

You know that the blow up doll thing is going to be retold and Ozzie's quotes on any subject will be replayed again to make casual viewers root for the Cubbies to beat the bad men dressed in silver and black.

turners56
06-11-2008, 09:46 AM
Cubs fans think they have bragging rights, this is a series to shut them up. Not that it really matters, the wins are more important than anything.

skottyj242
06-11-2008, 09:53 AM
I may get rid on my ticket for Sunday night. That place is going to be a mad house.

soxfan21
06-11-2008, 09:57 AM
I may get rid on my ticket for Sunday night. That place is going to be a mad house.

I'll probably do the same thing, just go to the Saturday game and sell them for sunday night, the crazies will be out in full force, and I would have to sell them anyway because of a prior engagement. Still though, hopefully we take 4 out of the 6 just to shut up some of their fans about this "magical" season.

FedEx227
06-11-2008, 09:59 AM

Sunday... at 7pm, that place is going to be up for grabs.

Sox fan: "Go back to Wrigley, homo"
Cubs fan: "Good, I'd get out of this ghetto!"
Sox fan: "Go back to the GAY-BAR!"
Cubs fan: "WHY DON'T YOU GO ATTACK A 1ST BASE COACH"

Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah....

turners56
06-11-2008, 10:00 AM

That sounds about right.

VeeckAsInWreck
06-11-2008, 10:00 AM

That sounds about right. That's why I'd rather watch these games on TV than to be there in person.

sox1970
06-11-2008, 10:03 AM
That sounds about right. That's why I'd rather watch these games on TV than to be there in person.

Agreed. The bathroom factor alone...

VeeckAsInWreck
06-11-2008, 10:07 AM

Not to mention that for the price of two ballpark beers I can get a whole case for myself. :gulp:

I get that people want to be in the atmosphere but once you've done it a few times it gets old. Especially when you have drunken frat boys that are looking for a fight.

turners56
06-11-2008, 10:10 AM

Sox fan: What are you doing?
Cubs fan: I'm taking a piss crackhead what do you think?
Sox fan: You're completely missing you know that right?
Cubs fan: ****, this is a ghetto anyhow.
Sox fan: Eh, at least we respect urinals here.
Cubs fan: At least I don't kill coaches!
Sox fan: Go back to your gay bar!
Cubs fan: We have the best record in baseball! What?
Sox fan: It's June dumbass.
Cubs fan: It's good enough, when you haven't won for 100 years, that's good enough.
Sox fan: Dumbass...

beasly213
06-11-2008, 10:18 AM
I hope ESPN portrays the White Sox as the "Evil Team" with the "CRRRAAAAZZZY MANAGER" and the "EVIL DIRTY CATCHER" Then they'll show the Cubs with wacky loveable Lou, and Mr. Smiles Soriano and that crazy pitcher Carlos Zambrano.

Then they'll talk about how it's been 100 years and blah blah and this is the year.

I can just see hear Joe Morgan and John Millers intro now. "THIS...COULD BE...THE YEAR."

Then flash to a bunch of Chicago skyline shots, the EL and maybe some hot girls in Cubs/Sox gear.

Then I will laugh, have a beer and watch the "EVIL WHITE SOX" beat the snot out of the "LOVEABLE CUBBIES"

:bandance:

turners56
06-11-2008, 10:20 AM
I hope ESPN portrays the White Sox as the "Evil Team" with the "CRRRAAAAZZZY MANAGER" and the "EVIL DIRTY CATCHER" Then they'll show the Cubs with wacky loveable Lou, and Mr. Smiles Soriano and that crazy pitcher Carlos Zambrano.

Then they'll talk about how it's been 100 years and blah blah and this is the year.

I can just see hear Joe Morgan and John Millers intro now. "THIS...COULD BE...THE YEAR."

Then flash to a bunch of Chicago skyline shots, the EL and maybe some hot girls in Cubs/Sox gear.

Then I will laugh, have a beer and watch the "EVIL WHITE SOX" beat the snot out of the "LOVEABLE CUBBIES"

:bandance:

Joe Morgan is not a real big fan of the Cubbies though.

Chez
06-11-2008, 10:49 AM
Joe Morgan is not a real big fan of the Cubbies though.

Joe Morgan is a big fan of Joe Morgan.

kittle42
06-11-2008, 10:50 AM
It's going to be miserable. I'm going to hate every minute of it. And any game the Sox lose, I will want to kill someone.

Yes, I am going to every game. I'm just weird like that.

aryzner
06-11-2008, 10:53 AM
I'll be at the Friday game at Wrigley... someone got tix for me so I gotta go! I hope I come out okay in the end.

soxfan13
06-11-2008, 10:54 AM
Cubs fans think they have bragging rights, this is a series to shut them up. Not that it really matters, the wins are more important than anything.

I would think they do since they won 5 of 6 last year versus us

So if it was during the day you'd go. Its still the same people there at night that would have been ther during the day.

sox1970
06-11-2008, 10:55 AM
I'll be at the Friday game at Wrigley... someone got tix for my so I gotta go! I hope I come out okay in the end.

You'll be ok. Follow this motto:

"Ignore idiots, and don't act like one."

TomBradley72
06-11-2008, 10:57 AM
I think the games on the field are almost always very memorable (ie. Lee's walk off homer after Sosa's at the Cell, Ordonez's "double" getting caught in the vines, Mark Grace falling for the pick off of 3rd move, Caruso's HR after a long rain delay to deliver a sweep, etc.). The closest thing to post season baseball intensity before Labor Day you can find.

But the fans themselves at the games make being there in person an incredibly annoying experience. As far as being a "big series"...no bigger than any other non-Division series in terms of the real focus: returning to the post season.

aryzner
06-11-2008, 11:03 AM
You'll be ok. Follow this motto:

"Ignore idiots, and don't act like one."
Will do.

I even considered not wearing any Sox gear so that I don't have to put up with any ****, but then I said to myself, "What kind of Sox fan would I be if I were seeing the Sox and didn't wear some gear?"

So I guess you could say I'm going to "cinch it up and hunker down," wear some Sox gear, and follow that motto of yours.

veeter
06-11-2008, 11:08 AM
Sox-Cubs will be over-hyped more than ever this year. It will be real annoying.Yes. I can't wait until they're over, with the Sox winning four of them.

the1tab
06-11-2008, 11:11 AM
While this series is going to be way, WAY over hyped, if the Sox put on a good show vs. the Cubs in front of that National Media it may help

A) get Carlos Quentin on the All Star team
B) get the Sox some overdue respect
C) put everyone focusing on Ozzie's mouth to rest

I'll be 7 rows from the plate for Saturday at Wrigley. Pray for me.

SoxGirl4Life
06-11-2008, 11:15 AM
Will do.

I even considered not wearing any Sox gear so that I don't have to put up with any ****, but then I said to myself, "What kind of Sox fan would I be if I were seeing the Sox and didn't wear some gear?"

So I guess you could say I'm going to "cinch it up and hunker down," wear some Sox gear, and follow that motto of yours.

:thumbsup:

RedHeadPaleHoser
06-11-2008, 11:16 AM

True Cub fans don't care about the bragging rights; those are the ones you can talk baseball to. It's the ******* Internet Cub fans that will never EVER shut up. The Cubs can stumble out of 1st, and they'll still talk about attendance. The Sox can win the division, the Cubs get the wildcard, and they'll talk about Ligue, Gamboa, and how Cub fans are hotter (thanks, you ****ers at the Sun Times for that :angry:).

The MASS of Cub fans will never shut up. Ever. It is because of them that I hate this series. It's no longer fun. I agree with other posters; give us the Brewers back or call it a .500 split and bring a divisional opponent instead.

kaufsox
06-11-2008, 11:21 AM

yep. six games that I really don't care about. The media blitz will be WAY over the top this year. Let's just keep beating the AL central into submission and worry about the NL in October.

Hitmen77
06-11-2008, 11:27 AM

Agreed. I'd be happy to be out of town for the 2 weekends of the games.

skottyj242
06-11-2008, 11:29 AM
So if it was during the day you'd go. Its still the same people there at night that would have been ther during the day.

I would hope that a Sunday afternoon crowd in the hot sun would be better behaved than a crowd at night that has been drinking all day. They stopped doing the Friday game at home at night because the crowd was terrible and now ESPN is making them do it on Sunday? Granted a national audience is always a good thing for exposure but I would rather not be in the park. (I have no doubt I will go to the game.)

skottyj242
06-11-2008, 11:30 AM
Since both Saturdays and Sundays are national will Hawk and DJ even be there?

Over By There
06-11-2008, 11:32 AM
I've been to games at both the Cell and Wrigley. I can honestly say they were about the most rotten atmospheres I've ever been to at ballgames. It really seems to bring out the worst in a lot of people. I'll enjoy watching it on TV, though - as others have said, the action on the field is usually pretty compelling.

chisoxfanatic
06-11-2008, 11:34 AM

Banter ender:

Sox fan: "Why don't you win a World Series in your lifetime!"

VeeckAsInWreck
06-11-2008, 11:35 AM
Since both Saturdays and Sundays are national will Hawk and DJ even be there?

I wouldn't think so. Hawk will probably sit in front of his tv with a wooden spoon pretending it's a mic. Then he'll call DJ on his cell phone, put it on speaker and ask that DJ play along.

That's just my guess though. :redface:

VeeckAsInWreck
06-11-2008, 11:36 AM
Banter ender:

Typical Idiot Cub Fan Response:

:woo-woo
Stop bringing up 2005, did you win it last year? The Cubs played last October, what was your team doing?

areilly
06-11-2008, 11:39 AM

Um, yeah.

No one paints the White Sox as evil in the fun-spoiling sense of the word, since they really aren't. They'll present them as low-class, maybe, but not evil. Does ESPN love the Cubs? Outside of Wilpon and maybe Gene W., not really. Do they love the Cubs' audience? Absolutely. At the national level it's blatant pandering, not intricate conspiracy. Please learn to separate the two.

"It's been 100 years" makes great narrative; "the rest of the AL Central sucks" does not. You have to keep in mind what the E stands for.

If anything, it'll probably go like this:
"A city divided, a city united"
- Slow-rise shot from field level
- Time-lapse shot of Chicago skyline
- scenes from each side of town
"Two teams winning with their bats"
- Flash frame of Fonzie homer
- Flash frame of Quentin homer
"winning with their arms"
- Flash frame of Bobby doing a fist-pump
- Flash frame of Zambo doing a fist-pump
"and molded in the image of their leaders"
- blurb about Ozzie, flash montage of him being alternately goofy, intense and totally insane
- ditto for Lou
"It's been a century of heartbreaks for the Cubs"
- old-timey footage, montage of Cub failures
"and after a string of recent disappointments, 2005 seems a lifetime ago"
- '05 Series highlights followed by 06/07 highlights, maybe Paulie or AJ smashing their bat on the ground
"Two teams holding first place in the Second City/something to prove/the hearts of a city/etc. as ESPN presents Sunday Night Baseball."

Cuck the Fubs
06-11-2008, 11:44 AM
Typical Idiot Cub Fan Response:

:woo-woo
Stop bringing up 2005, did you win it last year? The Cubs played last October, what was your team doing?

Winning the exact same amount of games the Cubs did in October:redneck

Jerko
06-11-2008, 11:49 AM
Banter ender:

Cub response: "quit living in the past" then 2 seconds later the same fan will say "we went 5-1 against you last year" (the past).

Whoever is going, enjoy the **** out of yourself; whoever it not going, I don't blame you. These games can't end fast enough for me.

soxpride724
06-11-2008, 11:54 AM

I agree, the series over hyped and this is the one series I would not attend on either end of town. I think it should be played every few years, that would make it more special. Lets take these six games and play the Nats or Milwaukee, anybody else.

ElmhurstMarcus
06-11-2008, 11:55 AM
I wonder how much different it would be then the Subway series in 2000 or whenever that was? Its easy to say living in Chicago but I think the Cubs/Sox rivalry is bigger than the Yankees and Mets. Especially because most Yankee fans probably use most of their hate on the Red Sox.

haganaga
06-11-2008, 12:02 PM
I'm going to be in a rooftop for the Friday game so the douche factor is very diminished. Going to be around a bunch of buddies and others I know pretty well and enjoy the friendly ribbing back & forth. Free ticket, food & drink, no hostilities and a 1/2 day of work makes for a great day. Can't wait.

hi im skot
06-11-2008, 12:11 PM
Um, yeah.

No one paints the White Sox as evil in the fun-spoiling sense of the word, since they really aren't. They'll present them as low-class, maybe, but not evil. Does ESPN love the Cubs? Outside of Wilpon and maybe Gene W., not really. Do they love the Cubs' audience? Absolutely. At the national level it's blatant pandering, not intricate conspiracy. Please learn to separate the two.

"It's been 100 years" makes great narrative; "the rest of the AL Central sucks" does not. You have to keep in mind what the E stands for.

- blurb about Ozzie, flash montage of him being alternately goofy, intense and totally insane
- ditto for Lou
- '05 Series highlights followed by 06/07 highlights, maybe Paulie or AJ smashing their bat on the ground
"Two teams holding first place in the Second City/something to prove/the hearts of a city/etc. as ESPN presents Sunday Night Baseball."

Don't you have an episode of Sportscenter you need to go write?

:tongue:

SoxGirl4Life
06-11-2008, 12:20 PM
Cub response: "quit living in the past" then 2 seconds later the same fan will say "we went 5-1 against you last year" (the past).

Whoever is going, enjoy the **** out of yourself; whoever it not going, I don't blame you. These games can't end fast enough for me.

And I've noticed a new theme in the media about whichever team doesn't do well in the crosstown series, their season spirals afterwards.

UofCSoxFan
06-11-2008, 12:23 PM
I think sweeping a series against the team closest to us in the standings is MUCH more important than 6 interleague games.

Regardless of how we do, we know both the Sox and Cubs are good teams. And even if this does end up being a preview of the 2008 WS, there isn't too much that can be drawn from the results of this series IMO as pitching match-ups and bullpen management would be completely different and rosters may or not be as well.

The Milkman
06-11-2008, 12:25 PM
Um, yeah.

- ditto for Lou

That's actually how it's going to happen...no doubt.

SoxGirl4Life
06-11-2008, 12:33 PM
:puking:

turners56
06-11-2008, 12:35 PM

The worst thing is we have to see it twice.

RockJock07
06-11-2008, 12:40 PM
Yes, these games will be as big as ever, but in the end, most will ruin it because they're are morans.

I'd rather see the Sox at Shea, Nationals park, or miller park this season.

cws05champ
06-11-2008, 12:42 PM

No way that happens...drunken frat boy would never remember the results from last years games anyways. I don't mind the playful banter, but when the idiots get drunk on both sides it's just embarrasing to each teams fanbase and Chicago.

I'm coming to town for business so I'm going try and go to Friday's game at Wrigley...looking for one when I get there. hint hint! :smile:

TDog
06-11-2008, 12:46 PM
- Flash frame of Zambo doing a fist-pump ...

OK, I'm pretty sure Zambo is Zambrano, but heck if I know who Fonzie is. All I can come up with is Alfonseca, which wouldn't fit even if he were still with the Cubs. I once heard the Cubs third baseman referred to as A-Ram, but that was easy figure out. Fortunately, I only heard the appellation applied to Alexei Ramirez once.

The use of cute Cubs nicknames at WSI is disturbing enough, and the series is more than a week away.

This won't be the biggest series between the Sox and Cubs. That took place in 1906. Anyone who has access to The White Sox Encyclopedia by Richard Lindberg should read about the 1906 White Sox and the 1906 World Series. On the difference between the fans, it was believed "the West Side Cub fan was less likely to charge the field and attack any offending umpire." There was no television or radio in those days, but people filled the Auditorium and First Regiment Armory to capacity to watch a display of the field and listen to a man with a megaphone in what must have been a foreshadowing of mlb.com's Gameday. The Tribune editor refused to print a Hugh Fullerton column explaining why the Sox would win the series, which Cubs fans were labeling "no contest." Of course, the Sox won four of those six games, despite having a reputation of not being able to hit and facing an offensive juggernaut.

The Sox and Cubs used to play a series after the regular season before (as I understand it) baseball put an end to it because in Chicago it was detracting from interest in the World Series. And when the Sox weren't very good at the beginning of interleague play, the series gave their fans a chance to shut up Cubs fans. In fact, there were a couple of years when the Cubs were riding high before losing to the Sox and tumbling out of contention. There was a time when the series served its purpose. It wasn't like there would ever be a crosstown World Series again.

This year, it's just annoying. And Sox fans are referring to Cubs players by cuddly nicknames.

I'll be in Chicago for the Sox-in-Wrigley weekend. I'll be flying home Sunday night, although I won't be going to Wrigley Friday or Saturday and probably won't watch the games on television.

Jerko
06-11-2008, 12:46 PM
Fonzie is Soriano. And I also heard our Ramirez called A-Ram. ugh.......

hawkjt
06-11-2008, 12:51 PM
I just hope the sox do not come out this period drained by all the intensity.
I really think they need to expand this concept and make pull the Brewers and Twins into it...Sox play the Cubs 3 and Brewers 3 every year..Same with the Twins. I would like to go to Miller Park anyway and Summerfest would be going on...fun road trip.

It would also even out the competition factor for the Twins and Sox.

areilly
06-11-2008, 01:03 PM
OK, I'm pretty sure Zambo is Zambrano, but heck if I know who Fonzie is. All I can come up with is Alfonseca, which wouldn't fit even if he were still with the Cubs. I once heard the Cubs third baseman referred to as A-Ram, but that was easy figure out. Fortunately, I only heard the appellation applied to Alexei Ramirez once.

The use of cute Cubs nicknames at WSI is disturbing enough, and the series is more than a week away.

This year, it's just annoying. And Sox fans are referring to Cubs players by cuddly nicknames.

"Zambo" because typing "Zambozo" is about as satisfying and hacky as typing "C.C. SabathiASS" or "Derek JetERROR." And because I refuse to acknowledge him as more than 5/8 of the man he claims to be.

"Fonzie" because, well, Soriano's kind of a caricature out there, not unlike said character fro Happy Days. I don't find either of those cute, and I don't know a lot of Cub fans who do either.

Jerko
06-11-2008, 01:08 PM
"Fonzie" is a play on the word "Alfonso"..... Let's not insult Henry Winkler here!

JB98
06-11-2008, 01:49 PM
And I've noticed a new theme in the media about whichever team doesn't do well in the crosstown series, their season spirals afterwards.

And that theme is complete and utter bull****. I'm already working on a column for next week where I researched the previous 60 crosstown games over the past 11 years.

There is absolutely no evidence that winning the crosstown series causes a ballclub to "gain momentum." There is absolutely no evidence that losing the crosstown series sends your season down the toilet. Yet we hear that crap every single year from these morons in the Chicago media who can't tell the difference between their ass and a hole in the wall. It's ridiculous, and I plan to debunk that theory next Monday as a pre-emptive strike before all the hype starts middle of next week.

As a reminder, the Sox lost two out of three to the Cubs AT HOME in June of 2005. Somehow, some way, that White Sox ballclub managed to "regain momentum" in time to win the World Series.

areilly
06-11-2008, 01:56 PM
As a reminder, the Sox lost two out of three to the Cubs AT HOME in June of 2005. Somehow, some way, that White Sox ballclub managed to "regain momentum" in time to win the World Series.

Don't forget the legendary 2002 White Sox, who capitalized on taking two of three at home with a heroic 41-39 run to finish out the season and capturing the 16th magical second-place title in the club's already storied history.

johnr1note
06-11-2008, 02:03 PM
I can't stomach going to any of the games this year. I sat in the bleachers for one of the games last year, with my kids. I've been to my share of Sox games over the years, and we have our share of unruly fans, but Cubs fans really shouldn't be allowed to drink. It was an awful show, on a massive scale. It seemed to me that every ****-faced drunk Cubs fan was in the bleachers with us, and it escalated as the Cubs ran away with the game. The only times I have ever felt like I was afraid for my own safety in or around U.S. Cellular was during a Cubs/Sox game.

JB98
06-11-2008, 02:05 PM
Don't forget the legendary 2002 White Sox, who capitalized on taking two of three at home with a heroic 41-39 run to finish out the season and capturing the 16th magical second-place title in the club's already storied history.

Two other great examples are 2000 and 2003.

In 2000, the Cubs took two out of three from the Sox right before the All-Star break. The Cubs went on to finish 67-95. I guess they really built the momentum there, huh? The Sox won 95 games and made the playoffs.

In 2003, the Sox took four out of six from the Cubs. Yet the Cubs were the ones who made the September charge into the postseason, while the Sox flamed out the final two weeks of the regular season.

I think there are some idiots out there who think the Cubs "turning point" last year was taking five of six from the Sox. I'm pretty sure Aramis Ramirez hitting a game-winning home run in the bottom of the ninth off Milwaukee's Francisco Cordero to complete a comeback from five runs down was a far more signicant turning point in last year's NL Central race.

People often see the crosstown series as a "turning point" because the hype surrounding these games is so great. People always remember what happens when the Sox and Cubs play. But in terms of who makes the postseason, knowledgeable baseball observers all realize that two-game swings that take place when divisional opponents play head-to-head are far more significant in the big picture.

Our games against the Cubs are really no more significant than the games against the Pirates in the big picture.

doublem23
06-11-2008, 02:07 PM
There is absolutely no evidence that winning the crosstown series causes a ballclub to "gain momentum." There is absolutely no evidence that losing the crosstown series sends your season down the toilet. Yet we hear that crap every single year from these morons in the Chicago media who can't tell the difference between their ass and a hole in the wall. It's ridiculous, and I plan to debunk that theory next Monday as a pre-emptive strike before all the hype starts middle of next week.

The 1999 Cubs came into the Crosstown series at 32-25, 3 GB Houston and leading the N.L. Wild Card race. The Sox swept them at Wrigley. The Cubs went 35-68 the rest of the way, the worst mark in baseball over that span of games.

Sure these games don't count any more in the standings than our upcoming series with the Rockies, but you're foolish if you don't think the Crosstown Series has an added element that even games against divisional foes doesn't.

JB98
06-11-2008, 02:11 PM
The 1999 Cubs came into the Crosstown series at 32-25, 3 GB Houston and leading the N.L. Wild Card race. The Sox swept them at Wrigley. The Cubs went 35-68 the rest of the way, the worst mark in baseball over that span of games.

At that's literally the only example like that in the 11 years since interleague play began. The only one.

doublem23
06-11-2008, 02:13 PM
At that's literally the only example like that in the 11 years since interleague play began. The only one.

In that case, I'd refrain from claiming "there's no evidence" that the Crosstown Series can have dramatic effects on a team's season.

JB98
06-11-2008, 02:23 PM
In that case, I'd refrain from claiming "there's no evidence" that the Crosstown Series can have dramatic effects on a team's season.

In 11 years, the crosstown series hasn't had a dramatic effect on a single White Sox team. Not one. This is indisputable. The two White Sox playoff teams during the interleague era went 3-3 against the Cubs. No effect whatsoever. The Sox teams that were good before the crosstown series continued to be good. The Sox teams that were bad before the crosstown series continued to be bad.

In 11 years, the crosstown series possibly, maybe, had an effect on one Cubs team - in 1999.

Yet we hear constantly that the crosstown winner goes on to a great second half, while the crosstown loser tailspins into oblivion. That's nonsense, and it's been proven over the long haul.

ChiTownTrojan
06-11-2008, 02:45 PM
I vote for Mariotti's head to explode.

skottyj242
06-11-2008, 02:57 PM
I can't wait to cut in the beer line and have someone say something to me.

kobo
06-11-2008, 03:01 PM
I am going to both Sunday games. I think I'm nuts.

kittle42
06-11-2008, 03:02 PM

Problem is, it's the one everyone remembers.

kittle42
06-11-2008, 03:02 PM
Anyone going to any of the Wrigley games want to meet in Wrigleyville before or after the games?

RedHeadPaleHoser
06-11-2008, 03:25 PM
Anyone going to any of the Wrigley games want to meet in Wrigleyville before or after the games?

For what, lobotomies and noseplugs?

Medford Bobby
06-11-2008, 07:20 PM
I vote for Mariotti's head to explode.
Man that would be a huge explosion....:o:

TommyJohn
06-11-2008, 07:32 PM

In 11 years, the crosstown series hasn't had a dramatic effect on a single White Sox team. Not one. This is indisputable. The two White Sox playoff teams during the interleague era went 3-3 against the Cubs. No effect whatsoever. The Sox teams that were good before the crosstown series continued to be good. The Sox teams that were bad before the crosstown series continued to be bad.

In 11 years, the crosstown series possibly, maybe, had an effect on one Cubs team - in 1999.

Yet we hear constantly that the crosstown winner goes on to a great second half, while the crosstown loser tailspins into oblivion. That's nonsense, and it's been proven over the long haul.

Problem is, it's the one everyone remembers.

I'm late to this thread, and as I was going through it, I was prepared to
respond in similar fashion to JB98's original post-I think 1999 is the reason
for the propagation of the myth that the team that loses the Crosstown
Series goes directly into the toilet. And even that year probably had less
to do with the Sox "demoralizing" the Cubs and more to do with the fact
that the Cubs just were a crappy team that year, and a slide was just
inevitable.

DumpJerry
06-11-2008, 08:03 PM
Have not read through the entire thread, but I would vote if the soccer comment was not in it (not into soccer).

This is just 6 games on the 162 game road to the playoffs. The interleague games lost their novelty long ago. They do not the immediate impact on the standings like a intradivision series.

Cub fans have been telling me for weeks they are looking forward to the Crosstown Classic this year. I tell them it bores me since we were actually in a real World Series. They don't like to hear that because that ends their efforts to say something obnoxious. It reminds them that we accomplished the only thing that matters in Baseball-winning the World Series.

chisoxmike
06-11-2008, 09:09 PM
Well yeah, they're the biggest Sox/Cubs series yet. But not the biggest series or games for either team in the course of their seasons.

the1tab
06-12-2008, 08:51 AM
Now that Alfonso Soriano's hurt, the excuses have all been written.

However, I had a Cub fan mention something to me that was interesting regarding the Soriano situation.

We have all heard the whining about Soriano's inabilities in left field in the past month. This Cub fan said that he was patiently awaiting interleague play to see if Lou had the... "intestinal fortitude"... to put Soriano at DH and put Reed Johnson, Jim Edmonds, and Fukudome in the OF together as a hypothetical for postseason play.

While I cannot stand the arrogance to believe the Cubs have already made the postseason (though it certainly looks like they will, with or without Soriano), this does bring up an interesting situation that may be dodged by this injury.

Now I guess the media will have to focus on the games being played on not who plays where for the North Siders.

RedHeadPaleHoser
06-12-2008, 09:30 AM
We have all heard the whining about Soriano's inabilities in left field in the past month. This Cub fan said that he was patiently awaiting interleague play to see if Lou had the... "intestinal fortitude"... to put Soriano at DH and put Reed Johnson, Jim Edmonds, and Fukudome in the OF together as a hypothetical for postseason play.

If the Cubs play .500 ball during IL or for the next 6 weeks, Cub fans will run to the "Soriano's hurt" tagline.

In 2003 - Bartman. Not a botched double play ball or a straight out loss in game 7 on the NLCS - Bartman.
In 2004 - it was Stone and Chip C's fault that they questioned the players from the broadcast booth. Moises Alou pissing on his hands, not his hitting poorly was the reason.
In 2005 - the White Sox were/are a fluke.
In 2006 - it was Wood and Prior on the DL.
In 2007 - the Cubs were tired in the postseason due to all the day games they played for the last 2 weeks of the season (logic I literally heard on ESPN and from friends/Cub fans).

It's like a pinata of bull****. Hit it for a reason; you never know what falls out.

areilly
06-12-2008, 10:22 AM
While I cannot stand the arrogance to believe the Cubs have already made the postseason (though it certainly looks like they will, with or without Soriano), this does bring up an interesting situation that may be dodged by this injury.

Any manager in Lou's position should be thinking ahead to October. Not because it's a foregone conclusion, but because he'd need to start looking at what the team really has and how they're going to succeed with it. I wouldn't be surprised if postseason lineups have been on his mind, and Fonzie as DH almost makes too much sense anyway.

SoxGirl4Life
06-12-2008, 10:46 AM
Any manager in Lou's position should be thinking ahead to October. Not because it's a foregone conclusion, but because he'd need to start looking at what the team really has and how they're going to succeed with it. I wouldn't be surprised if postseason lineups have been on his mind, and Fonzie as DH almost makes too much sense anyway.

Please stop this.

OldRomanPizza
06-12-2008, 10:47 AM
Speaking of soccer, anyone else think it would be hilarious if they segregated the fans in the stadium at Sox Cubs games like they do at soccer games worldwide?:D:

kobo
06-12-2008, 10:57 AM
If the Cubs play .500 ball during IL or for the next 6 weeks, Cub fans will run to the "Soriano's hurt" tagline.

If they play .500 ball over the next 6 weeks they'll still be 18 games over .500. They may lose their lead in the division, but it won't be by much.

VeeckAsInWreck
06-12-2008, 11:06 AM
Speaking of soccer, anyone else think it would be hilarious if they segregated the fans in the stadium at Sox Cubs games like they do at soccer games worldwide?:D:

I'm sure that could work here. After all how many times have you ever heard of a fan riot at a soccer game?

areilly
06-12-2008, 11:17 AM
Please stop this.

I wouldn't be surprised if postseason lineups have been on his mind, and Alfonso Guilleard Soriano as DH almost makes too much sense anyway.

TDog
06-12-2008, 11:58 AM
If they play .500 ball over the next 6 weeks they'll still be 18 games over .500. They may lose their lead in the division, but it won't be by much.

The "if they play .500 ball the the rest of the way" line was one I heard from the media about the 2005 White Sox when they were up. When the 2005 White Sox were playing close to .500 ball late in the season when they were down, the media was talking about it being one of the greatest collapses of all time.

Of course, the 1969 Cubs didn't come close to playing .500 ball from late August through September. And they had two Hall of Fame hitters in the heart of their batting order (some believe a third hitter should also be so honored), a Hall of Fame pitcher in their starting rotation, who wasn't even the member of the staff who threw the no-hitter, and a Hall of Fame manager.

I sort of cringe every time I hear that "500 the rest of the way" line.

balke
06-12-2008, 03:38 PM
Yeah this series doesn't mean much more than it does every other season, which is little enough as it is. I disconnect it from the season pretty much. If one team sweeps the other, does it really mean they were better? What if the losing team goes to the playoffs while the other sits at home?

Hup Holland Hup!

WhiteSoxJunkie
06-12-2008, 08:25 PM
I think the intensity of the Crosstown Classic hit its peak around 2001-2004. Since then the Sox have something called a World Series trophy which means alot more than who (if anyone) wins more games out of the 6 game series.

RedHeadPaleHoser
06-13-2008, 07:22 AM
I think the intensity of the Crosstown Classic hit its peak around 2001-2004. Since then the Sox have something called a World Series trophy which means alot more than who (if anyone) wins more games out of the 6 game series.

To be honest, because of the success the Cubs had in '03/'07, the WS victory for the Sox in '05, and truly because the fan bases for both teams have broadened (families for the Sox, single 20 somethings for the Cubs), it's become a bad series because it's no longer fun.

Alot of people I know, both single and with families refuse to go to the games anymore because it's too mean, too violent, the possibilities of bad things happening is just under the surface. I think the series meant more when it first started because both teams were in similar situations. Now, with recent successes on both sides of town, it's become a verbal dick measuring contest and it ends up, in some instances, in drunken brawls, really really bad things said to both sides, and general animosity. It's not fun anymore.

I'd rather they pick only 3 games a season, alternate sites each year, and let it be over. Or, just cancel the inner city IL stuff altogether.

the1tab
06-13-2008, 08:26 AM
Could it be that the series lost some intensity when Carlos Lee & Jose Valentin left town?

gaelhound
06-13-2008, 08:40 PM
I am looking forward to the series. This is my annual screening for an aneurysm! If I survive my vessels are still intact. When the Sox win, the smiles add years to my life. When they lose grinding my teeth for 24hours takes me closer to deaths door. I might be a little too geared for this stuff!

southside rocks
06-13-2008, 10:07 PM
To be honest, because of the success the Cubs had in '03/'07, the WS victory for the Sox in '05, and truly because the fan bases for both teams have broadened (families for the Sox, single 20 somethings for the Cubs), it's become a bad series because it's no longer fun.

Alot of people I know, both single and with families refuse to go to the games anymore because it's too mean, too violent, the possibilities of bad things happening is just under the surface. I think the series meant more when it first started because both teams were in similar situations. Now, with recent successes on both sides of town, it's become a verbal dick measuring contest and it ends up, in some instances, in drunken brawls, really really bad things said to both sides, and general animosity. It's not fun anymore.

I'd rather they pick only 3 games a season, alternate sites each year, and let it be over. Or, just cancel the inner city IL stuff altogether.

I'm with you.

I hate these series and I don't find them to be worth all the hype that the press gives them. As an Ozzie Plan ticket-holder, I get tix to one of the games at the Cell, and I don't go -- I give the tickets away. Put me down as a curmudgeon who finds these 3-game sets no fun. (Okay, I really enjoyed the game in '06 when Barrett flipped out on AJ, but since then, ugh. By the way, here's Batgirl's re-enactment of that classic game, with Legos. I never get tired of this!)
http://www.bat-girl.com/archives/001504.php

Rdy2PlayBall
06-13-2008, 11:48 PM
If things don't go our way in the games before we play the Cubs and things stay pretty much the same for the Cubs. The series could determine who stays in 1st place and who drops down to second. THEN, it would probably be the most important series in at least a long time. :wired:

Who else knew that in 1906 the Sox beat the Cubs in the World Series!? :o: I thought that they never played eachother. :?:

Go :sox!

Nellie_Fox
06-13-2008, 11:58 PM
If things don't go our way in the games before we play the Cubs and things stay pretty much the same for the Cubs. The series could determine who stays in 1st place and who drops down to second. THEN, it would probably be the most important series in at least a long time. :wired:

Who else knew that in 1906 the Sox beat the Cubs in the World Series!? :o: I thought that they never played eachother. :?:!Seriously?

Rdy2PlayBall
06-14-2008, 12:17 AM
Seriously?If your asking about the 1906 World Series then yea! Here is a Wiki link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1906_World_Series ... and if you don't trust Wikipedia, just google it, and check the MLB site with the World Series stats. :tongue:

That season the Cubs had like 116 wins and the Sox had a really low batting average (Hitless Wonders). That sounds a lot like how this year is going to play out, maybe we might get a re-run of the past!? :o:

Nellie_Fox
06-14-2008, 12:34 AM
No, I meant you seriously didn't know that? I thought any Chicago baseball fan knew that the only time the two teams met in the WS was in 1906, and that the Sox won.

Rdy2PlayBall
06-14-2008, 12:40 AM
No, I meant you seriously didn't know that? I thought any Chicago baseball fan knew that the only time the two teams met in the WS was in 1906, and that the Sox won.Oh... sorry.... I've just been paying attention to my life-time Sox and I have ever heard of a 1906 Cubs Sox World Series in my entire life... so I'm sorry. >_>

No one I know knew about it so I thought I'd say something... didn't know I'd seem like an idot here. XD

WS in 05
06-14-2008, 01:10 AM
Oh... sorry.... I've just been paying attention to my life-time Sox and I have ever heard of a 1906 Cubs Sox World Series in my entire life... so I'm sorry. >_>

No one I know knew about it so I thought I'd say something... didn't know I'd seem like an idot here. XD

find some friends that are sox fans. Most to all real sox fans know this

Rdy2PlayBall
06-14-2008, 01:38 AM
find some friends that are sox fans. Most to all real sox fans know thisYour probably right.... Most of them say the Cubs SUCK and they love the Sox so much... but they would have no idea about their record if I asked. I don't know any really dedicated Sox fans, just Cubs fans... I'm suppized my REALLY big Cubs fan friend never mentioned it (embarrased). :tongue:

Glad I found this place so I can talk about whats going on during the game! :D

And that thing about the Cubs vs. Sox World Series thing wasn't that new to me, it was more like a 4-5 month ago discovery. I was just saying that because no one I know had any idea about it. I just thought since I'm sure none of you were around back then, some wouldn't know about it either. xD Trust me, now I know what type of stuff you guys know... I think I found the right place for Sox fans. :P

The Dude
06-14-2008, 12:12 PM

Yes, and as annoying as these poll options.

Frankfan4life
06-14-2008, 02:34 PM
Please PM me if you want to get rid of your 6-22 Sox/cubs tickets. I need two, thank you. If you don't have the guts to go, I'll be happy to go and cheer for the Sox and you can be sure I'll be proudly wearing my Sox gear. I went to Wrigley last year on Saturday, May 19 when the Sox were pummeled by the cubs 11-6. I also went by myself the year before and took the Red line there and back both times.

I've been really embarrassed reading some of the posts in this thread.

kitekrazy
06-15-2008, 12:39 AM

It's pretty boring for me. I don't consider the Cubs as rivals.

The Sox inconsistent hitting could make for an embarrassing series.

ChiSoxGirl
06-15-2008, 12:45 AM
I say to hell with this series. This is the first time in years I've refused a ticket to these games. A girl I know has a weekend plan and when I saw her at the ballpark last weekend, she told me to let her know which of the Sox/Cubs games I want to go to. I told her none. I'd much rather go out to a bar with my Sox fan friends, order a couple beers, have some food, and enjoy the game in the company of friends, rather than be stressing out at the ballpark and having to watch people pitching beer from the upper deck and countless fights happening everywhere. The weekend the Sox/Cubs series comes to Comiskey, our ballpark turns into one giant toolshed and I want no part of it.

Nellie_Fox
06-15-2008, 12:47 AM
:tomatoaward:

Quentin08
06-15-2008, 09:10 PM
My brother and I were discussing this earlier tonight.. wouldn't it be the greatest moment in Crosstown Classic history if the same scenario as today's 9th inning played out, except Reed Johnson drops the ball and 3 score.. and White Sox win!

PushinWeight
06-18-2008, 12:24 AM
To answer the original question of the thread; no, neither cubs/sox series this year (regular season) will be the biggest of all time. They played each other in the world series way before anyone on this most people alive today were born, and I hope that most would agree that a world series is more important than a three game set in the first half of a season no matter when the games were played.

RockRiversoxfan
06-24-2008, 12:14 AM
first time both teams are in first coming into series. in 11 years of IL play.:D: