PDA

View Full Version : *Offcial" Why Did It Have To End? 6/10/2008 Postgame Thread

MCHSoxFan
06-10-2008, 08:40 PM
:(: Oh Man! I thought we would keep it going tonight. Well, MIN did lose.

Sockinchisox
Discuss.

MCHSoxFan
Another thing. This game was sooo easy for us, the White Sox, to WIN!!!

BadBobbyJenks
06-10-2008, 08:41 PM
OC ran us out of an inning in the first.
Cox ran us out of an inning in the 8th.
Jose sucked most innings.

sox1970
06-10-2008, 08:41 PM
Fire Walker.

MCHSoxFan
06-10-2008, 08:42 PM

Oh yeah, I forgot about OC in the 1st! :(: Damn Cox. I was yelling noooo!!!! :(:

MCHSoxFan
06-10-2008, 08:42 PM
Fire Walker.

Thanks for the TEAL!

BTW/FYI-1,100 post!

Madscout
06-10-2008, 08:43 PM
He hardly sucked "most" innings. He gets out of that 5th with 1 scored, and we are still playing.

All in all, the game was acceptable, not too bad, not too good. They just hit them where we weren't. We'll get 'em tommorow.

Daver
Thanks for the TEAL!

BTW/FYI-1,100 post!

You are not your post count.

oeo
Jose pitched like poop, and the situational hitting looked eerily like it did in Tampa Bay. Hopefully it's just one game.

MCHSoxFan
06-10-2008, 08:45 PM
Hopefully it's just one game.

Yes.

Daver, what do you mean.

JB98
I thought the Sox cost themselves this game with bad baserunning. A couple of caught stealings and a terrible decision to send Quentin in the eighth. The Tigers pitching staff is of poor quality, and you don't want to make it easier for them by giving them outs. The decision to have Pierzynski bunt in the first inning was also dubious.

Rough outing for Contreras. I guess he was due for a bad one, and he has struggled in each of his three outings against Detroit this year.

voodoochile
Gave away too any outs.

WhiteSox5187
Well, let's not make any habits out of this...sending Quentin was a mistake. Jose looked sharp when I saw him pitch, but maybe he got tired as the game went on. Six runs in six innings (I think) is not good. Let's go get them tomorrow.

hi im skot
Contreras can't do it every time. Jeff Cox burned us, but we had our chances earlier in the game. Dotel looked good once again.

Start it up again tomorrow guys.

The Immigrant
06-10-2008, 08:46 PM
Meh, you can't win them all. We had our chances in late innings and at least made it interesting. Jose was not living the High Life tonight.

AnkleSox
06-10-2008, 08:47 PM
Someone needs to punch Ivan Rodriguez next time he flashes that **** eating grin. Man do I hate him.

JB98
Gave away too any outs.

We gave away four, in fact, including two in the first inning. No need to bunt AJ in the first inning, and Cabrera was a fool for trying to take third with Rodriguez behind the plate.

BadBobbyJenks
He hardly sucked "most" innings. He gets out of that 5th with 1 scored, and we are still playing.

All in all, the game was acceptable, not too bad, not too good. They just hit them where we weren't. We'll get 'em tommorow.

He didn't get out of the 5th so what is the point of saying that? He didn't give up a run the first 3, but gave up 6 the next 3. Jose was bad tonight. He has been great all season, but he was bad tonight. It is ok to be negative when the situation warrants.

oeo
06-10-2008, 08:48 PM
Gave away too any outs.

That's not even it. When you're aggressive, you're going to make outs. The Sox had plenty of chances to come through with the bat and didn't do it. Again, it looked like the Tampa Bay series. They were getting hits there, too, but couldn't drive anyone in.

We'll see how they come out tomorrow, but this is going to suck if they're going to let the pitchers slide constantly on the road.

Viva Medias B's
OH MY GOD!!!! WE LOST!!! THE SKY IS FALLING!!!!

chisoxmike
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z70/Chips347/sadbanana.gif

The Tigers seemed to do everything to lose this game, the Sox couldn't take advantage. Get this series, the Tigers are not a team I want to wake up.

oeo
06-10-2008, 08:49 PM

Leaving the fastball over the meat of the plate is not sucking? He was serving them up for the Tigers.

Not his day, but he wasn't good at all.

BadBobbyJenks
06-10-2008, 08:50 PM
OH MY GOD!!!! WE LOST!!! THE SKY IS FALLING!!!!

I don't think anyone is going to be thinking that tonight.

JB98
06-10-2008, 08:50 PM
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z70/Chips347/sadbanana.gif

The Tigers seemed to do everything to lose this game, the Sox couldn't take advantage. Get this series, the Tigers are not a team I want to wake up.

Don't worry about them. They don't have the pitching to sustain a run, especially with Bonderman on the shelf.

Cleveland is more worrisome because they'll have a formidable rotation once they get Carmona back.

SoxSpeed22
06-10-2008, 08:51 PM
Jose had a bad day and the Sox blew some opportunities, what are you gonna do?
Just get 'em tomorrow, they usually hit Verlander well.

Viva Medias B's
06-10-2008, 08:51 PM
I don't think anyone is going to be thinking that tonight.

Hence the teal.

sox1970
06-10-2008, 08:53 PM
Jose had a bad day and the Sox blew some opportunities, what are you gonna do?
Just get 'em tomorrow, they usually hit Verlander well.

Obviously, I'd like to see the Sox score runs tomorrow, but it would also be nice if Vazquez outpitched Verlander too.

JDub35
06-10-2008, 08:53 PM
Someone needs to punch Ivan Rodriguez next time he flashes that **** eating grin. Man do I hate him.

I agree, I hate him as well.

Can't win them all....had our chances and made it interesting. Come back tomorrow!

21stcenturySox
06-10-2008, 08:54 PM
Prolly not a good idea to pitch to M Cabrera with first base open and Nick Lachey next man up.

Bunting in the first inning not so smart either.

Sending TCQ--uhhhh no.

Management should take the blame for this one.

chisoxmike
06-10-2008, 08:54 PM
Don't worry about them. They don't have the pitching to sustain a run, especially with Bonderman on the shelf.

Cleveland is more worrisome because they'll have a formidable rotation once they get Carmona back.

True. One of these teams in the Central, at some point, is going to make things interesting. The Tigers are going to be held back because of their pitching, the Indians because of their bullpen. It's the Sox division to lose right now.

turners56
06-10-2008, 08:55 PM
Had Ozzie not let Jose openly pitch to Miguel Cabrera and had Ozzie gotten Jose's ass out of there after the 6th, this would of been a much different game. Plus, had Jeff Cox held Carlos Quentin in the 8th, Dye's liner would of sacrificed him in. Whatever, shoulda, woulda, coulda. Let's get them these next two games. We're good vs. Verlander and Rogers doesn't scare me.

Frontman
06-10-2008, 08:55 PM
Oucha. The Sox got their hits, just not big one's to get the job done.

But, as I said earlier today, all streaks end. Now, time to start another one tomorrow.

turners56
06-10-2008, 08:57 PM
HEY! What do you know? The Sox have 2 .300 hitters! We are sure an elite offensive team now. According to the National Media that is.

turners56
06-10-2008, 08:58 PM
Good thing Minnesota lost, we're still 6.5 up.

JB98
06-10-2008, 08:59 PM
True. One of these teams in the Central, at some point, is going to make things interesting. The Tigers are going to be held back because of their pitching, the Indians because of their bullpen. It's the Sox division to lose right now.

I agree that someone is eventually going to make a run. I'm guessing Cleveland. Sabathia threw a shutout tonight. Lee has 10 wins. They are the one team in our division that can match our starting pitching, when healthy.

In head-to-head meetings with Cleveland, the Sox superior bullpen has made the difference.

zaidecrannog
This one is definitely on the coaches.

1) 1st inning bunt
2) Guillen/Cooper letting Jose pitch to Cabrera (2 run mistake)
3) Leaving Jose in to start the 7th (and give up 3 straight hits)
4) Cox' boneheaded sending of Quentin down 2 runs with only 1 out in 8th.

Frater Perdurabo
Never a sure thing to win a game on the road in a pitchers' park when you give up six runs.

Can't win 'em all.

The Tigers were due against us, and Contreras was due for a bad game.

Let's come back tomorrow, tie the series, and then take the series on Thursday, OK?

turners56
06-10-2008, 09:02 PM
This one is definitely on the coaches.

1) 1st inning bunt
2) Guillen/Cooper letting Jose pitch to Cabrera (2 run mistake)
3) Leaving Jose in to start the 7th (and give up 3 straight hits)
4) Cox' boneheaded sending of Quentin down 2 runs with only 1 out in 8th.

1) Had Pierzynski grounded into a DP, you'd be saying something different
2) I totally agree
3) Agree there too
4) That ball was a looper, Quentin went on contact. In reality, he should of scored. But Cleven made a great throw, gotta give the kid credit, he manufactured a run on offense and stopped a run on defense today.

whitem0nkey
06-10-2008, 09:06 PM
after 7 wins in a row a loss does not feel as bad.

lets get a new winning streak going.

and our top of the order all got hits 1-5, and only 2 guys did not get a hit joe and JD, and they have been doing well so no biggie, we will usually get more runs with 14 hits.

Lip Man 1
06-10-2008, 09:09 PM
Lots of chances tonight, just couldn't get it done.

Would still like to take 2 of 3 from Detroit, the Sox have always played well in Comerica.

At least Minnesota lost.

Cabrera has been thrown out on the bases A TON this year...I don't know if it's the coaches or his own poor decision making.

Lip

JB98
06-10-2008, 09:09 PM
2) I totally agree
3) Agree there too
4) That ball was a looper, Quentin went on contact. In reality, he should of scored. But Cleven made a great throw, gotta give the kid credit, he manufactured a run on offense and stopped a run on defense today.

On point one, I will NEVER support bunting in the first inning. A hit-and-run is fine, but no playing for one run in the first inning. What are the chances of winning 1-0?

zaidecrannog
06-10-2008, 09:12 PM
This Sox team isn't a first-inning bunt kinda squad. The first inning bunt is a bad idea. But you could argue that one.

But sending Quentin in the 8th down 2? Baseball stupidity. You only send that guy if you're absolutely sure he can score. In this case, he was out by a mile. A terrible throw would have beat Quentin.

MCHSoxFan
06-10-2008, 09:16 PM
This Sox team isn't a first-inning bunt kinda squad. The first inning bunt is a bad idea. But you could argue that one.

But sending Quentin in the 8th down 2? Baseball stupidity. You only send that guy if you're absolutely sure he can score. In this case, he was out by a mile. A terrible throw would have beat Quentin.

You should post more! :cool:

zaidecrannog
06-10-2008, 09:17 PM
Thanks! Usually just a reader.

MCHSoxFan
06-10-2008, 09:18 PM
Thanks! Usually just a reader.

Hey! There is another post! :D: I understand.

MCHSoxFan
06-10-2008, 09:22 PM
Geez! Now it's Fire Cox! OMG!

MCHSoxFan
06-10-2008, 09:22 PM
BTW, I did not mean here @ WSI. I meant on 670 The Score.

cws05champ
06-10-2008, 09:23 PM
I thought the biggest mistake was pitching to Miguel Cabrera with 2nd and 3rd with 2 outs and 1st base open. Cabrera kills Contreras and you have a rookie that was just brought up 2 weeks ago hitting behind him. That cost two runs there.

Lets take the series 2 of 3...

MCHSoxFan
06-10-2008, 09:25 PM
I thought the biggest mistake was pitching to Miguel Cabrera with 2nd and 3rd with 2 outs and 1st base open. Cabrera kills Contreras and you have a rookie that was just brought up 2 weeks ago hitting behind him. That cost two runs there.

Yep! Mistake of the game that really, really killed us.

TomBradley72
06-10-2008, 09:38 PM
2) I totally agree
3) Agree there too

Quentin was touching 3rd base at the same time Cleven was coming up to throw...horrible decision by Cox with only 1 out.

Hitmen77
06-10-2008, 09:43 PM
Can't win em all. It'll be interesting to see how this team responds the next 2 games. Even the very best teams lose 1/3 of their games - lets see if the Sox can bounce right back and keep rolling tomorrow like good teams do after a loss.

MCHSoxFan
06-10-2008, 09:47 PM
Quentin was touching 3rd base at the same time Cleven was coming up to throw...horrible decision by Cox with only 1 out.

Yeesss! He (Carlos) really had no chance.

MCHSoxFan
06-10-2008, 09:47 PM
Can't win em all. It'll be interesting to see how this team responds the next 2 games. Even the very best teams lose 1/3 of their games - lets see if the Sox can bounce right back and keep rolling tomorrow like good teams do after a loss.

Yep. I always say, after something like this, even in 2005, we lost 63 games.

Railsplitter
06-10-2008, 09:52 PM
Start a new winning streak tommorrow.

MCHSoxFan
06-10-2008, 09:53 PM

Ask and you shall receive! :D:

spiffie
06-10-2008, 10:00 PM
It seemed like Cox was overcompensating for not sending the runner on the previous AB, and pretty much decided the next guy was going no matter what. Sadly in this case that meant he was going even if the LF had the ball before Quentin finished rounding 3rd.

Too many mistakes, too many pitches left over the heart of the plate, too many bad plays. Oh well...hopefully tomorrow will be better, and this was just an aberration for Jose.

chisoxfanatic
06-10-2008, 10:02 PM

Maybe now; but, you can never be for sure until after the trade deadline...They may try to trade for an arm, which is why you need to win at every opportunity NO MATTER HOW BIG YOUR LEAD ON THEM IS.

Brain fart night for Jose; but, I think Javy will start a new winning streak.

JB98
06-10-2008, 10:05 PM
Maybe now; but, you can never be for sure until after the trade deadline...They may try to trade for an arm, which is why you need to win at every opportunity NO MATTER HOW BIG YOUR LEAD ON THEM IS.

The Tigers don't have much left in their system to trade. They blew their wad of top prospects to get Cabrera and Willis from Florida.

spiffie
06-10-2008, 10:08 PM
The Tigers don't have much left in their system to trade. They blew their wad of top prospects to get Cabrera and Willis from Florida.
They also have the deep pockets to take a bad contract or two. Maybe the Dodgers decide its worth getting rid of Andruw Jones. And really, with what they've invested in this year, if they have any shot at all come July, I can't imagine that anyone would be off-limits.

btrain929
06-10-2008, 10:17 PM

I was going to post this exact thought, but wanted to read thru all the posts before doing so to see if it was covered. He was damn near in his crow-hop as Quentin rounded 3rd.

No shot.

But oh well, like others said, we have good luck vs Verlander. Let's keep that going tomorrow and rock Old Man River (Rogers) on Thursday and come back to Chicago hot.

BadBobbyJenks
06-10-2008, 10:19 PM
Geez! Now it's Fire Cox! OMG!

It was a terrible decision, but who asked to fire him?

Is it ever ok to criticize people for making bad decisions?

ElmhurstMarcus
06-10-2008, 10:28 PM
Wow, Count got clobbered.
Didn't see the game; is it just a one game thing or was he back to his indecisive self?
He pitches so much better (for last many starts) when he works quicker and confidently.
Oh well he certainly deserves an off night.
We're not going to run away with the division. Ain't gonna happen.
Should be a fun year if we keep hitting and if the bullpen keeps doing its job.

Stringer
06-10-2008, 11:13 PM

Sounds like a plan

It's Time
06-11-2008, 12:19 AM
It's a desperate Tiger team that played that way. Just don't get swept here and move on.

hawkjt
06-11-2008, 01:09 AM
Wow, Count got clobbered.
Didn't see the game; is it just a one game thing or was he back to his indecisive self?
He pitches so much better (for last many starts) when he works quicker and confidently.
Oh well he certainly deserves an off night.
We're not going to run away with the division. Ain't gonna happen.
Should be a fun year if we keep hitting and if the bullpen keeps doing its job.

He threw strikes ok..just a lot of busted bat hits strung together in a couple of innings. Fork was not forking that well and they hit those. Did not go with fastball enough.

Gerry
06-11-2008, 06:59 AM
Well Cox took a chance and it didn't pay off. It took a pretty good throw to get Quentin. Almost the same thing happened earlier in the game with Dye's throw to home, it just short hopped AJ and he took his eye off it and it got past him. The same thing could have happened with Ivan, but it didn't, that's a 2 run swing right there. **** happens, gotta just move on.

VenturaFan23
06-11-2008, 07:23 AM
Terrible baserunning decisions all around. You don't want to help out bad pitching by giving them outs. Go get 'em the next two games. Oh and thanks Comcast for making us wonder all game what the count was.

Save McCuddy's
06-11-2008, 09:21 AM

No -- regardless of result, it's the first freaking inning and Pierzinski's got the whole right side open to first and third him with a single. The bunt is an absolutely terrible baseball play. Unless it's Ramirez or someone else whose speed makes a bunt base hit possible and puts additional pressure on the defense, the bunt is a complete waste of an out.

hi im skot
06-11-2008, 09:23 AM
Oh and thanks Comcast for making us wonder all game what the count was.

Because they purposely ****ed with with the chyron machine just to piss us off...

TomBradley72
06-11-2008, 09:37 AM
No -- regardless of result, it's the first freaking inning and Pierzinski's got the whole right side open to first and third him with a single. The bunt is an absolutely terrible baseball play. Unless it's Ramirez or someone else whose speed makes a bunt base hit possible and puts additional pressure on the defense, the bunt is a complete waste of an out.

That's one reason I'd like to see Alexei in the #2 slot...put AJ farther down in the line up where he can drive the ball,etc. I'd like to see more speed and small ball ability out of the #1-2 slots.

Craig Grebeck
06-11-2008, 09:40 AM
Bunting in the first inning is terrible, regardless of who does it.

SoxGirl4Life
06-11-2008, 09:47 AM
Not to be too critical, because I still think we had an OK game for it being a loss, but a few observations:

Jenks has a mental thing with the Orioles
Contreras has a mental thing with the Tigers
Danks and Masset get murdered by the Twins
Buehrle can't pitch over the team's fielding errors

Crede can NOT hit lefties
Thome can
Alexei can hit anyone
Quentin has to adjust to the league adjusting to him

Am I forgetting anything?

Tragg
06-11-2008, 09:48 AM

We have a good bullpen...use it.
13 hits given up?

turners56
06-11-2008, 09:49 AM
On point one, I will NEVER support bunting in the first inning. A hit-and-run is fine, but no playing for one run in the first inning. What are the chances of winning 1-0?

You'd never know with Contreras. :shrug:. Too bad he gave up 6 yesterday.

turners56
06-11-2008, 09:54 AM

Are we going back on small-ball now? Had Pierzynski screwed up the bunt and then grounded into a double play, I'd be right with you. But that's not what cost us the 1st inning, OC decided to run on one of the best catchers in the league to nab 3rd and got owned.

TomBradley72
06-11-2008, 10:05 AM

I disagree. I'll take a 1-0 lead to start the game. Of course OC trying to steal 3rd base on IRod with a short lead and a poor jump doesn't help the strategy.

W/Alexei at #2 we'd have more options..especially the hit and run.

MCHSoxFan
06-11-2008, 10:18 AM
It was a terrible decision, but who asked to fire him?

Is it ever ok to criticize people for making bad decisions?

No, it was on 670 AM. The person was talking about much MORE than just yesterday. I am okay with people complaining about Cox's mistake. However, some people really, really overreact.

turners56
06-11-2008, 10:19 AM
No, it was on 670 AM. The person was talking about much MORE than just yesterday. I am okay with people complaining about Cox's mistake. However, some people really, really overreact.

Just like how that one guy said Harold Baines isn't vocal enough. What?

MCHSoxFan
06-11-2008, 10:21 AM
It's a desperate Tiger team that played that way. Just don't get swept here and move on.

Don't lose the series, either.

MCHSoxFan
06-11-2008, 10:21 AM
Just like how that one guy said Harold Baines isn't vocal enough. What?

YEEESSS!!! Same guy.

turners56
06-11-2008, 10:22 AM

Giving the Tigers any kind of hope is like adding another team to the contention list. Even though their starting pitching is thin and bad, they do have an offense that can do damage. Cabrera is starting to turn it around and somebody yesterday said that their starting staff ERA of late is around 3. So winning these next two games is vital.

Pinar_del_Rio_WS
06-11-2008, 10:38 AM
Well, pitchers are not machines.

Perhaps Contreras needed one more day of rest, remember that CWS had to play continuosly from last week and he took the mound with only 5 days from the previous outting.

Perhaps OG must used a 6th starter and keep Jose for the game today.

On anyway our offense wasted some good moments

Pear-Zin-Ski
06-11-2008, 11:37 AM
Against any other team I like the baserunning ideas (and with that said we need to get better jumps than that OC!) but against Ivan...**** that...why would you even attempt it?

Alexei continues to impress me...got himself out of a double play today...very nice....

Why weren't we running to the bullpen earlier?

Get two out of three guys!

Gerry
06-11-2008, 04:47 PM
Eh, really if they lose 2 out of three the Tigers gain just one game. I'm really not worried about the Tigers. They don't have close to enough pitching to make any kind of sustained run. They just lost Bonderman for the season, if people are looking at Zumaya and Rodney as saviors I think you are really overestimating how much they can help. Cleveland is a different story, they basically have the same team from last season, they just aren't hitting anything.

BadBobbyJenks
06-11-2008, 04:51 PM

Ah ok, I had no idea you were talking about the post game show.

doublem23
06-11-2008, 04:54 PM

Considering Detroit lost their first six games of the season at home, it should be noted that since that first week, they're actually decent at Comerica - 15-10. ESPN just ran a story about how this year so far has been incredible in difference of road/home splits. While it would be sort of dissapointing to lose 2 of 3 after that great win streak, it's not like it's the end of the world. As another poster already pointed out, even if the Sox lose 1 of the next 2 against Detroit, they're still 10 GB us. Ooh.

TDog
06-11-2008, 05:10 PM

In the top of the first with the second hitter of the game, sacrificing is a bad move. I would have no problem with Ramirez bunting for a hit in that situation, but it isn't like Johan Santana was pitching (for either team). And it's not like it was the eighth or ninth inning of a scoreless game. A ground single to right, with the first baseman holding the runner, probably puts runners on first and third with none out instead of a runner on second with one out. A deep fly or doubleplay and you've got your one-run inning. If Quentin hits a double, you're set up for a big inning. Sure Pierzynski could have hit into a doubleplay, but the Sox didn't get the one run they were playing for anyway.

The White Sox have hit an awful lot of singles this year that haven't scored runners from second base. Giving up an out for the purpose of getting a runner to second in the first is playing against the percentages.

The Immigrant
06-11-2008, 05:16 PM
Cleveland is a different story, they basically have the same team from last season, they just aren't hitting anything.

Their pitching personnel is largely the same, but Carmona is on the DL (and was ineffective while healthy), Westbrook is done for the year, Betancourt went from being unhittable to sporting a 6+ ERA, Borowski is finally being Borowski, Jenzen Lewis is back in AAA, etc., etc. Even if their hitting comes around, their bullpen will keep them from going on a run.

Frontman
06-11-2008, 05:48 PM
Ok, saying Cox should be fired is a bit drastic. Was this the same guy who thought Lance Broadway should replace Mark Buehrle and still is asking when the Sox will trade for Chone Figgins?