PDA

View Full Version : Cuban Baseball Update for the CWS Fans

Pinar_del_Rio_WS
06-10-2008, 03:34 PM
I posted it as a coment in the Alexei´s thread answering a requesto of October26 (thanks) but I think that perhaps it´s a good idea to post a thread where the CWS fans can make their questions about cuban baseball, now that we have a couple of great players there.

Hola October26, thanks again for ur words on our WS cuban players.

The baseball in Cuba now is organized in the national serie, here are 16 teams divided in two zones, east and west, each zone is also divided in two groups 4 teams each. they play 90 games in the regular season, each team plays 6 games against the other 15 teams (in fact it´s an all-against-all season).

To the Play Off season clasifies the winner of each group and the other two with best performance in each zone. Play a quarter finals in a best of 5 series in each zone, then a semifinals in a best of 7 series to obtain the each zone champion and the great final between the two zones champions in a best of 7 series also.

It´s quite difficult to make any comparison even in the last few years with the same structure because the ball used have been different every year. one year made in china taipei, the other made in cuba, and in the last one they used the mizuno 150 from japan. so for example in the 2006 series (with the cuban ball) Alexei Ramirez was the HR champion with only 20 HR´s. In the 2007 series (with the japanese ball) the champion was Alexei Bell with 30 HR´s.

I think that the greatest differences between the MLB and the cuban baseball are in the pitching area (both in tactics and in the variety of pitches), in the general strategics of the game and in the strike zone, here the umpires have a narrow strike zone, so the pitchers have to come trough almost the center of the plate to get an strike called. So the batting average is greater in Cuba than in the MLB. And perhaps it helps to pur pitchers to be succesful in the MLB, because is easier for them when they realize that they can throw an strike in a zone more away from the batter than they did in cuba.

Well thats all for now, sorry by the link, I don´t know why it not works for U.

Any question that U have, please ask me about.

from havana, Cuba,

SAM

voodoochile
06-10-2008, 03:40 PM
Thanks for all the info. It's always nice to read about different baseball teams/experiences from far away places.

Just so you know, the Sox Clubhouse is just for threads/posts regarding Sox baseball. All other baseball related posts go in one of the other baseball forums. Since this is general baseball, I moved it to the general baseball forum, called Talking Baseball.

Don't take it personally, lots of people get threads moved.

Hitmenof77
06-10-2008, 04:04 PM
It's too bad that politics prevents Linares from playing baseball in the majors. From what everybody said he's the best Cuban player ever.

VeeckAsInWreck
06-10-2008, 04:05 PM
Hi Sam,

Thanks for giving us all here an insight into Cuban baseball. It's cool to see how other leagues work but I would like to know how much attention the White Sox are getting in Cuba with both Contreras and Ramirez on the team.

I look forward to your response.

Being fluent in Spanish I want to say:

¡Saludos a todos en Pinar Del Rio desde Chicago!

ondafarm
06-10-2008, 09:47 PM
Thanks Sam.

Great info.

Nellie_Fox
06-11-2008, 01:05 AM
Keep it coming. I'm old enough to remember when many greats from Cuba played in MLB. I hope it can open up again some day.

Pinar_del_Rio_WS
06-11-2008, 08:51 AM
It´s quite funny. the all time favorite team of the cubans had been the NY Yankees, even me, I used to wear a NY basebal cap. The fact that el Duke was pitching there reinforced this feeling in the people of my generation that grew knowing almost nothing about the MLB (I´m 42 now). the Florida Marlins had some attention also when Livan was pitching there.

When Contreras came to Chicago, we, the people from Pinar del Rio started to watch the CWS, winning the 2005 World Series drawed the attention of many other fans and now when Ramirez landed there also, we have a lot of fans interested in the CWS. for must of the people It´s no easy to get information because the internet is very limited here and in our radio and television they have news for almost every sport in the world (including formula 1 racing and golf) but the MLB is absolutly forbiden in our communications media.

For example I get the news from internet and in the evening when I come home I share the informations with my family and friends. they share with their relatives and so on. My elder kid is 9 YO now and he is a fan of baseball and a fan of the CWS. He likes playing baseball a lot and likes play baseball in the computer where he has the MVP Baseball game with the rosters as were in january 2008. he plays with the CWS team and actually he knows the complete CWS lineup.

So the fans of the CWS in Cuba ia a fast growing community.

Many thanks for all of ur words,

SAM

VeeckAsInWreck
06-11-2008, 09:58 AM
Sam,

Thanks for your reply. That's great to hear that the White Sox are gaining popularity in Cuba. I also like the story about your son playing MVP Baseball and getting familiar with the White Sox lineup. Hopefully there will be a way for you and your family to see a game.

Hearing that people follow the White Sox because of a certain player reminds me of when Esteban Loaiza had his all-star year with the White Sox in 2003. There were people in Mexico who were paying attention to the Sox whenever Loaiza pitched. That year he tied Fernando Valenzuela for the most wins by a Mexican pitcher.

Hopefully soon there will be a time when MLB communications are allowed in Cuba so everyone can follow the progress of Contreras and Ramirez.

Pinar_del_Rio_WS
06-11-2008, 02:54 PM
Here we hoped that following the 1st world baseball classic, when the cuban media was forced to speak about MLB, some kind of appertue would happen, but finishing the classic they made the iron courtain again and no even a word about the MLB again.

Pinar_del_Rio_WS
06-13-2008, 08:46 AM
I forgot to mention that the rosters integration in Cuba is in a place of birth basis, so people born in Pinar del Rio play in Pinar del Rio team and so on.

There are not interchange between teams during the season and only if the local baseball comisioner agrees a player from one province can play in other if he is not necesary in the team of the hometown.

I think this is one of the reasons that people in cuba use to follow a certain player of their hometown, because it belongs to the team of the hometown all his career.

October26
06-13-2008, 09:00 AM
I forgot to mention that the rosters integration in Cuba is in a place of birth basis, so people born in Pinar del Rio play in Pinar del Rio team and so on.

There are not interchange between teams during the season and only if the local baseball comisioner agrees a player from one province can play in other if he is not necesary in the team of the hometown.

I think this is one of the reasons that people in cuba use to follow a certain player of their hometown, because it belongs to the team of the hometown all his career.

Thanks, SAM. This is very interesting, as are all of your posts. I read your response about Alexei in the other thread. I am so happy to hear that the White Sox are gaining fans in Pinar del Rio, Cuba. This is wonderful. It makes sense because it is the hometown of both Jose Contreras and Alexei Ramirez. I have a question for you - how did you find out about the White Sox Interactive website?

Pinar_del_Rio_WS
06-13-2008, 09:10 AM
Well October26, thanks for ur words. I found the WSI forums searching te web looking for information about Alexei´s performance in the MLB.

I think it is a pretty good site to learn about MLB baseball and about CWS comunity.

ondafarm
06-13-2008, 09:11 AM
I hope you don't hold everything you read here against us. We really all aren't as bad as some of our name calling here.

October26
06-13-2008, 09:24 AM
Well October26, thanks for ur words. I found the WSI forums searching te web looking for information about Alexei´s performance in the MLB.

I think it is a pretty good site to learn about MLB baseball and about CWS comunity.

Yes, you are correct. It is a good site to learn about MLB baseball and the White Sox. In my opinion, this is the BEST website (information and forums) to discuss the White Sox. Fans here are very passionate about the White Sox and sometimes we get a little crazy, so as ondafarm said earlier, don't hold it against us.

Another question for you - what can you tell us about the 19 year old baseball player Dayán Viciedo that recently defected?

thedudeabides
06-13-2008, 09:25 AM
Good info, keep it coming. How is this third baseman that has defected. Do you think he would have interest in joining the White Sox with the the current roster consisting of two Cuban players and many spanish speaking teamates, and coaches?

KenBerryGrab
06-13-2008, 09:54 AM
Appreciate your perspective. Sam!

Sorry if you mentioned this elsewhere, but do you see the games on satellite?

Pinar_del_Rio_WS
06-13-2008, 09:55 AM
This kid Viciedo played for Villa Clara team, he has a lot of talent and both power at bat and speed in bases here has been a consistent hitter. He looks quite awkward fielding in 3rd base but has an strong arm and can play in the OF also.

I think he could like to play for the CWS, but must of the cuban players want to play for the NYY (the must known team in cuba) in spite that except "El Duke" none of the others that had sign contracts with the NYY had been successful in the big apple.

Other interesting player there is Juan Miranda an 1st baseman and OF also from Pinar del Rio that is playing in the AAA team of the NYY organization.

Pinar_del_Rio_WS
06-13-2008, 10:14 AM
Appreciate your perspective. Sam!

Sorry if you mentioned this elsewhere, but do you see the games on satellite?

NOPE! I can´t. I use to follow the games by yahoo sports they write what is happening play by play I just have to figure out the players in my mind:D: