PDA

View Full Version : Kauffman Stadium

junkyarddoug
06-10-2008, 02:38 PM
I'm going to Kansas City for work at the beginning of July and it just so happens the White Sox will be in town. I'm hoping it's better than Oakland's staduim. Can anyone tell me anything about the stadium? Where is the best place to watch the game, anything interesting to see, what are their best concessions?

Scottiehaswheels
06-10-2008, 02:48 PM
You can get seats behind the Sox dugout (3rd base side) for like $20. I'd recommend those. Best food is all the BBQ stuff. Check out the Royals Hall of Fame thing kinda behind home plate. I wasn't overly thrilled with the stadium but it's probably 10x better than Oakland. Edit: Looks like the price for those tickets has been raised to $37.

kninchicago
06-10-2008, 02:50 PM
Do they have any interesting drinks there (like how we've got the margarita stands)? I'm likely going in August, but I also plan on eating as much BBQ as I can when I'm not at the stadium so I doubt I'll be in the mood for food there.

Scottiehaswheels
06-10-2008, 02:51 PM
Do they have any interesting drinks there (like how we've got the margarita stands)? I'm likely going in August, but I also plan on eating as much BBQ as I can when I'm not at the stadium so I doubt I'll be in the mood for food there.I couldn't honestly tell you. I don't drink much, so I didn't even look.

johnnyg83
06-10-2008, 03:02 PM
They have a relatively full bar behind home plate - vodka, gin, rum etc.

The food there isn't great -- they have a good local sub place Planet Sub and a good bbq Gates. A local brewery has a couple stands with their own beer (Boulevard Pale Ale and Wheat) and some decent sausages ... but not like the Cell's sausages.

They have a good selection of beer/hard lemonade at their premium stands, but the vednors are all Coors Light, Bud and Bud Lite and Miller Lite.

There are marqueritas and mai tais.

I say this every time someone asks abotu KC and the place to get a sandwich is this dive place called the peanut. It has a triple BLT that ranks as the best sandwich I've ever had. They also have great chicken wings that look like came from a turkey they're so big.

Lemme know what you like and I'll direct you.

kninchicago
06-10-2008, 03:04 PM
Thanks johnny. I'll certainly have more to ask as I start preparing for the trip.

johnnyg83
06-10-2008, 03:04 PM
BTW, I love the stadium ... though it's currently being remodeled. The new HD scoreboard is amazing and the stadium is really open and airy. Anything on the lower deck is a good seat. Also easy to get in and out of b/c it's circled by highways ... 20 mins from the Plaza or downtown.

PolishPower83
06-10-2008, 03:14 PM
Awesome stadium. We go every summer. Sat in a number of different seats, no complaints about any of them. Stadium is right across the parking lot from Arrowhead, too, so that's pretty cool.

MeteorsSox4367
06-10-2008, 03:18 PM
One of my co-workers is originally from KC and he's going to visit his family in late July-early August. It also happens to be the same weekend that the Sox meet the Royals at Kauffman Stadium.

I've been invited down there and am really looking forward to it since I haven't been in KC since 1993 and it will be my first chance to see the Sox on the road.

Plus, I'm going to make a little side trip to a certain NCAA men's basketball national champion's campus that is 40 miles west of KC.

Law11
06-10-2008, 04:37 PM
I went some years back but they had krispy Cremes (before they hit chicago)
and I couldnt get enough..

I think they have gates BBQ (good stuff) at the concessions.
There NOTHING around the park. Unless you want to walk outside arrowhead next door

chisoxfanatic
06-10-2008, 06:04 PM
I was there for two Sox victories last summer (late June/early July), and I loved the fountains. Get there early to watch BP and check out the park.

For a discounted ticket, take the Royal Express bus. You pay $5 round trip and receive a voucher for $5 off your game ticket. So, basically, it's like getting transportation for free! My boyfriend and I got the cheapest tickets (Hy-Vee, IIRC), and with that discount, we spent a grand total of $12 for the both of us to go to the two games! They don't really check tickets there in the LD until you hit the aisle that horizontally separates the LD sections.

For touristy stuff, go to the Plaza neighborhood, which is a few miles south of downtown. It's got some great restaurants (I've eaten at Jack Stack BBQ and George Brett's), and scenery.

canOcorn
06-10-2008, 07:30 PM
Check StubHub for tickets. I bought tickets for the early August series in the front row of the upper-tank, between home and third, for $10 ($11 after the commission, but with a $10-$20 SH coupon you're talking dirt cheap). The Royals ran a season-ticket promotion this season, due to the renovation, that was buy two, get two free. There were some really good, cheap seats available about a month ago.

Westport is a party city. Country Club Plaza is hotels, upscale shopping, college bars and upscale bars (all walking distance from each other). Downtown is getting better and a new hotel/bar/dining/minor league baseball spot by the Kansas Speedway, Legends, is exploding (about 20 miles though).

johnnyg83
06-10-2008, 08:46 PM
I would recommend downtown now. It's known as The Power & Light District and it is hopping with restaurants, bars and an open-air drinking.

mccoydp
06-10-2008, 08:59 PM
I would recommend downtown now. It's known as The Power & Light District and it is hopping with restaurants, bars and an open-air drinking.

I second that. I checked it out after the Police concert last month and my wife and I thought it was pretty cool.

We're heading out to the Rangers game tomorrow; a classmate told me its $1.00 concessions night. :D:

TomBradley72
06-10-2008, 09:43 PM

Spent two nights there a few weeks ago...alot of fun and a great concept.

High Mileage
06-12-2008, 08:08 PM
Best stadium in baseball.

AZChiSoxFan
06-12-2008, 10:12 PM
Best stadium in baseball.

Welcome to WSI.

I've been to the K several times and while I love the stadium, the fact that it's just "out there" by itself, with no bars, restaurants or anything else close by, keeps it from being in the elite category of stadiums, IMO.

High Mileage
06-12-2008, 10:14 PM
Welcome to WSI.

I've been to the K several times and while I love the stadium, the fact that it's just "out there" by itself, with no bars, restaurants or anything else close by, keeps it from being in the elite category of stadiums, IMO.

Thank you, and I agree. I have a feeling that will be changing, I hope so anyways...

New scoreboard, it's not finished yet, no crown...
http://www.twinsbikers.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/royals-stadium.jpg

RockRiversoxfan
06-18-2008, 11:28 PM
I saw the white sox take on the royals there in september 2006. It is a really nice ballpark. It is in the middle of nowere though. It is far form downtown. It is a nice celan stadium tohugh.

johnnyg83
06-19-2008, 12:28 AM
It is out there. But it's relative. It takes 20 minutes from most spots in KC to get there. It'd take longer to get to the Cell from Downtown after work,