PDA

View Full Version : Arizona Diamondbacks

chisoxmike
06-09-2008, 11:53 PM
Wow. This team has really fallen apart. Right now after today's loss to the Pirates, they're 34-30. They finished April 20-8. They were my pick to win the World Series this year. This team has gone into meltdown mode since they were swept by the Cubs.

I can't figure this team out.

chisoxfanatic
06-10-2008, 12:06 AM
Their pitching, save for Brandon Webb, has come down to Earth big time. Their opponents are seemingly figuring them out more. But, I'm shocked that they've dropped this much as well.

I'm thinking the Phillies will go to the World Series this year, and lose to our White Sox.

HomeFish
06-10-2008, 12:08 AM
What's there to not figure out? They played way over their heads last year, and now everyone is coming back to Earth. Like the 2006 White Sox, the 2003 Angels, and so many other teams. The Rockies in that division are the same way.

chisoxmike
06-10-2008, 12:11 AM
What's there to not figure out? They played way over their heads last year, and now everyone is coming back to Earth. Like the 2006 White Sox, the 2003 Angels, and so many other teams. The Rockies in that division are the same way.

I always thought the Rockies were frauds. I wouldn't say the Diamondbacks played over their heads last year. This year they've been a bad road team and their offense isn't giving their pitchers much run support.

I just can't believe they've fallen so far since the beginning of May. You would expect a team to have a little bit of a comedown after a 20-8 start, I just didn't see them going this bad.

Chicken Dinner
06-10-2008, 12:47 AM
They've made 9 errors in the last week. They are playing like crap.

LoveYourSuit
06-10-2008, 12:58 AM
The NL is just plain bad.

I hate to say it, but the Cubs do stand out as the tallest midget.

chisoxfanatic
06-10-2008, 01:39 AM
The NL is just plain bad.

I hate to say it, but the Cubs do stand out as the tallest midget.

BOTH leagues aren't up to par right now. We're definitely seeing drastic changes since you know what. I wouldn't think twice about the Phillies beating the Cubs in the playoffs, however.

FourStarsTwoBars
06-10-2008, 01:45 AM
BOTH leagues aren't up to par right now. We're definitely seeing drastic changes since you know what.
The Brewers moved to the NL?

LoveYourSuit
06-10-2008, 02:04 AM
BOTH leagues aren't up to par right now. We're definitely seeing drastic changes since you know what. I wouldn't think twice about the Phillies beating the Cubs in the playoffs, however.

Very true. Because outside of the Sox, Angels, and BoSox who would you consider a powerhouse team right now in the AL?

And we joined that list with just this current 7 game stretch we had, we were almost written for dead just a week ago with Ozzie's tirade.

Tampa you would consider elite right now?

Oakland with it's youth movement elite?

I think removal of steroids in the game is going to create a very even playing field with parity as we are seeing right now.

Huisj
06-10-2008, 11:06 AM
In some ways, this is turning out to be an extremely interesting baseball season. All kinds of teams and players who were expected to do well aren't, and there aren't many clear-cut powerhouse teams. There are a lot of mediocre teams in both leagues that could be jockeying around all summer.

DSpivack
06-10-2008, 01:02 PM
Very true. Because outside of the Sox, Angels, and BoSox who would you consider a powerhouse team right now in the AL?

And we joined that list with just this current 7 game stretch we had, we were almost written for dead just a week ago with Ozzie's tirade.

I think removal of steroids in the game is going to create a very even playing field with parity as we are seeing right now.

Don't forget the Rays, their record is a half-game better than the Sox.

palehozenychicty
06-10-2008, 01:07 PM

Out of all the AL teams, the Angels have been the most consistent, and that's with a lot of injuries to their regulars. I still don't know if they have enough power, but they have everything else.

As for the Dbacks, their offense was the question when the season started. They've simply cooled off, but their division is so vanilla that they can afford it.

turners56
06-10-2008, 01:20 PM
Micah Owings has fallen so much in his past couple of starts. Webb has obviously pitched worse lately. Haren isn't the same guy who pitched for Oakland last year. Randy Johnson is not as effective. And Doug Davis is Doug Davis. Their staff has a lot of depth, but the most vital thing for them is getting some run support. Guys like Upton, Young, and Reynolds have really fallen off lately. Let's see how they'll go about it though, that NL West division below them sucks anyhow.

Frater Perdurabo
06-10-2008, 02:24 PM
I don't happen to think that both leagues are down.

I do think that while any team can beat any other team on any given day, much of the AL has caught up to the elite AL teams. AL teams are just beating the crap out of each other, but are doing so with fantastic pitching.

In addition, small market AL teams are using shrewd drafting with high picks (Rays), excellent scouting and player development (Twins) and intriguing trades (Athletics) intelligently to compete with large market spenders.

Meanwhile, the NL has fewer big spenders, fewer innovators, more small-market teams, and two more teams overall. Many good NL hitters are feasting on crappy NL pitchers at the back 3/5ths of most NL rotations.

Last year, the Rockies just swept through a lot of substandard NL teams to close out the regular season and the playoffs, then got manhandled by the Red Sox, who needed seven games just to get through Cleveland.

DumpJerry
06-10-2008, 02:43 PM
BOTH leagues aren't up to par right now. We're definitely seeing drastic changes since you know what.
:?: What is the "what" you're referring to? Steroid/HGH report? March 30, 2008 (the end of Spring Training for the '08 season)? The abolition of the Reserve Clause? Inquiring minds want to know.

LoveYourSuit
06-10-2008, 03:09 PM
I don't happen to think that both leagues are down.

I do think that while any team can beat any other team on any given day, much of the AL has caught up to the elite AL teams. AL teams are just beating the crap out of each other, but are doing so with fantastic pitching.

I am starting to go a bit the other way on this. I think these stellar pitching numbers we are seeing has more to do with a bunch of bad hitters (which were once good) all over the American League.

I want to see the spin MLB and Bud Selig put on this one with the drastic drop in offense especially in the AL.

DumpJerry
06-10-2008, 03:37 PM
Dramatic drop in offense?
2007 stats:
AL BA=.270
NL BA= .226
MLB BA= .268

2008 as of today:
AL= .261
NL= .259
MLB= .260

We're talking a handful of hits each week making the difference.

Chicken Dinner
07-03-2008, 11:49 AM
Division leading at 1 game under .500. pathetic!

hawkjt
07-03-2008, 12:26 PM
Stoney this morning was commenting how the D-Backs owner overruled his GM and signed Brynes to a 3 year 30 million deal and they dealt Quentin to the Sox and Gonzales to the A's and now Brynes is falling apart physically and the other two are great prospects....ouch.

JohnTucker0814
07-03-2008, 12:47 PM
Micah Owings has fallen so much in his past couple of starts. Webb has obviously pitched worse lately. Haren isn't the same guy who pitched for Oakland last year. Randy Johnson is not as effective. And Doug Davis is Doug Davis. Their staff has a lot of depth, but the most vital thing for them is getting some run support. Guys like Upton, Young, and Reynolds have really fallen off lately. Let's see how they'll go about it though, that NL West division below them sucks anyhow.

Are you serious?

Dan Haren - '07 w/ Oak -

222 2/3 ip - 214 h - 55 bb - 192 k - 15 wins - 3.07 era - 1.208 whip

Dan Haren - '08 w/ Ari -

110 2/3 ip - 88 h - 19 bb - 96 k - 8 wins - 2.85 era - 0.967 whip

If you average Haren for the whole year here is what he looks like with 222 2/3 IP

222 2/3 ip - 177 h - 38 bb - 193 k - 16 wins - 2.85 era - 0.967 whip

Haren has been outstanding!

SoxSpeed22
07-03-2008, 02:50 PM
Webb and Haren are definitely not the problem. Webb should start for the NL. Injuries have been the main problem. Byrnes has had hamstring problems all year. Snyder just went on the DL. This team is also batting .216 on the road. Also, the snakes had a negative run differential last year. That could be carrying over this year.

AZChiSoxFan
07-03-2008, 03:01 PM
Last night I was listening to sports radio on the way home from work and they were of course talking about the D-backs. One of the guys (Dave Burns) was talking about Chris Young and he wondered if "this is all you'll ever get from him. A guy who will hit some homers and steal some bases but never be able to consistently get hits."

I had to laugh because it seems like lots of folks here at WSI have made that exact point about CY.

Save McCuddy's
07-03-2008, 05:33 PM
What's there to not figure out? They played way over their heads last year, and now everyone is coming back to Earth..

I'm pretty sure that they scored fewer runs than they gave up last year. Their record in 2007 was a statistical anomaly that appears to be evening itself out now.

34 Inch Stick
07-03-2008, 05:45 PM
Stoney this morning was commenting how the D-Backs owner overruled his GM and signed Brynes to a 3 year 30 million deal and they dealt Quentin to the Sox and Gonzales to the A's and now Brynes is falling apart physically and the other two are great prospects....ouch.

That signing affected the entire MLB as it was the number used by agents in getting the outrageous contracts we saw for CF in the off season.

CHISOXFAN13
07-03-2008, 06:32 PM
Arizona trailed the Brewers 5-0 in the ninth and scored six runs without an out to win it.

WhiteSoxOnly
07-03-2008, 07:05 PM
Arizona trailed the Brewers 5-0 in the ninth and scored six runs without an out to win it.

Damn Brewers...on the flip side,this could be the kind of win
that AZ needed to turn their season around.

AZChiSoxFan
07-06-2008, 10:50 AM
Damn Brewers...on the flip side,this could be the kind of win
that AZ needed to turn their season around.

Apparantly not, as the Dbacks have since gone 0-2 vs. SD, who is ranked dead last in the latest power rankings on ESPN.com.

That reminds me of the great quote from Earl Weaver: "momentum is only as good as tomorrow's starting pitcher."