PDA

View Full Version : White Sox Spring Training

SouthSide2Ship
06-09-2008, 10:17 PM
Anyone have any news on the new spring training stadium in the glendale area? Is it scheduled to be done before spring training '09? Will the White Sox be able to leave tucson and play there? Just Wondering. Go Sox.

DumpJerry
06-09-2008, 10:29 PM
They will be in Tucson next year. They have not found someone to replace them at TEP yet and even if they did, there is nothing in Glendale yet for them to play at.

Steelrod
06-10-2008, 07:46 AM
Glendale will be open by spring training 2009, but it's unlikely that the Dodgers will have company at this time.

06-10-2008, 08:52 AM
I've been following the Tucson situation closely and yes, it appears the White Sox will still be there for at least 2009.

Tucson baseball is in a quandry, the Rockies are asking for improvements to Hi Corbett and the D-Backs want three teams there in town, otherwise they'll look at Phoenix area options. The whole situation is iffy.

It doesn't appear Tucson leaders are too interested in the White Sox proposal of a national youth baseball tournament at TEP in lieu of the Sox staying through 2012. Tucson is trying to form a sports commission to help ensure the future of baseball in town but the city gov't is notoriously slow getting things done.

Also of note, I believe there's a stiff penalty from Glendale if at least 20 (total) home games are not played by the Sox and Dodgers combined beginning next spring. I would expect the White Sox to play a few "home" games in Glendale next year, even though all signs point to another year (at least) in Tucson.

It doesn't appear the Sox will be successful in luring a Florida team to Tucson to cover their lease. There have been rumblings about the Twins but that's as far as it's gotten ... rumors.

However, I do expect some sort of resolution well before 2012 to allow the White Sox to call Glendale home.

btrain929
06-10-2008, 10:07 AM
They will be in Tucson next year. They have not found someone to replace them at TEP yet and even if they did, there is nothing in Glendale yet for them to play at.

I thought I heard that if they found nobody to take their spot, they could just pay a penalty to get them out of the deal and let them move.

WestSider
10-13-2008, 12:29 AM
Any updates to the contract situation re: Tucson / Glendale?

Viva Medias B's
10-13-2008, 08:41 AM
I thought I heard that if they found nobody to take their spot, they could just pay a penalty to get them out of the deal and let them move.

I could be wrong, but a while back I believe I saw that figure to be around $28M. And you can bet that Tucson and Pima County would hold the White Sox to every penny, regargless of what the figure actually is. I'd rather see that money used on player personnel.

sox1970
10-13-2008, 08:43 AM
http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/diamondbacks/261388

michned
10-14-2008, 02:00 AM
The best tidbit to pluck from that article was the acknowledgment by the Sox rep that the Sox will set up headquarters in Glendale next Spring. To me, that seems that if they play games in Tucson next Spring, they will just bus four regulars, per the rule, and a bunch of kids to play the 15 games in Tucson.

Medford Bobby
10-14-2008, 09:43 PM
The best tidbit to pluck from that article was the acknowledgment by the Sox rep that the Sox will set up headquarters in Glendale next Spring. To me, that seems that if they play games in Tucson next Spring, they will just bus four regulars, per the rule, and a bunch of kids to play the 15 games in Tucson.

Yea I saw that too...which means the always sold out Sox-Cup at TEP game will be full of B players:angry:

I want Mags back
10-14-2008, 10:05 PM
Yea I saw that too...which means the always sold out Sox-Cup at TEP game will be full of B players:angry:
im sure they could make an exception

Medford Bobby
10-14-2008, 11:05 PM
im sure they could make an exception

Well maybe true if it's a WGN AMERICA game!:smile:

btrain929
10-14-2008, 11:06 PM
Innnnnnnnnteresting article. They just need to figure it all out real quick so I know where to stay and can have my plan of attack in order to get autographs during Spring Training :D:

WestSider
10-25-2008, 11:11 PM
Even more interesting is the comments by Tucson residents (in the link after the article).

I too, would like to know, as I am planning to be coming back from Asia for Spring Training. I can only stay about 5 days, so staying in Phoenix and seeing them in Glendale would be ideal. Then, if there is just a day or so that that they are in Tucson, I can go to another game in the Phoenix area.

michned
10-27-2008, 12:45 AM
Even more interesting is the comments by Tucson residents (in the link after the article).

All anyone's going to care about down here now is who's going to replace Lute Olson.

When I see the city/county governments down here pitted against mlb and the White Sox, I see the White Sox and mlb getting their way.

BleacherBandit
10-27-2008, 12:56 AM
Bah, this is a shame. I visit my brother in Tucson every spring, and I always catch a few games.

sox1970
12-03-2008, 03:23 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/downloads/y2008/spring_schedule.pdf