PDA

View Full Version : Edwin Almonte

HawkDJ
05-05-2002, 08:04 PM
I haven't heard anything about this guy but he is pitching lights out in AAA Charlotte so far. His stats so far are 1-0 with a 1.88 ERA in 14.1 innings and also has 5 saves. Also he has only walked 3 while striking out 13.

Does anybody have any info on this guy? Is this just some fluke year or does he really have potential to be on this team possibly next year?

kermittheefrog
05-05-2002, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2
I haven't heard anything about this guy but he is pitching lights out in AAA Charlotte so far. His stats so far are 1-0 with a 1.88 ERA in 14.1 innings and also has 5 saves. Also he has only walked 3 while striking out 13.

Does anybody have any info on this guy? Is this just some fluke year or does he really have potential to be on this team possibly next year?

He could be a useful middle reliever. He had a big year last year in AA saving 36 with an ERA of 1.49 but he doesn't have a great fastball. He just uses his secondary pitches effectively. There is next to no chance he'll be a major league closer. He got a C+ grade in John Sickels' Minor League Scouting Notebook.

doublem23
05-05-2002, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

He could be a useful middle reliever. He had a big year last year in AA saving 36 with an ERA of 1.49 but he doesn't have a great fastball. He just uses his secondary pitches effectively. There is next to no chance he'll be a major league closer. He got a C+ grade in John Sickels' Minor League Scouting Notebook.

Yeah, most "great" closers aren't groomed as closers.. I.E. Flash Gordon (when he was in KC...), Foulke, and there are probably a few others that aren't coming to mind.

Chisox_cali
05-05-2002, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by doublem23

Yeah, most "great" closers aren't groomed as closers.. I.E. Flash Gordon (when he was in KC...), Foulke, and there are probably a few others that aren't coming to mind.

Wasnt Trevor Hoffman like a Short Stop or something?

kermittheefrog
05-05-2002, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali

Wasnt Trevor Hoffman like a Short Stop or something?

Yup and Troy Percival was a catcher. Guess this means Jason Dellearo has a better shot at being our closer someday than Edwin Almonte.

doublem23
05-05-2002, 09:56 PM

Yup and Troy Percival was a catcher. Guess this means Jason Dellearo has a better shot at being our closer someday than Edwin Almonte.

LOL.. Sounds good... Hey, if he can throw 90 on flat ground, who knows?

:keith
Not on my shift!!!

duke of dorwood
05-05-2002, 11:34 PM
Dennis Eckersley and Rich Gossage were starters first. 2 of the recent greats.

OfficerKarkovice
05-05-2002, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Dennis Eckersley and Rich Gossage were starters first. 2 of the recent greats.

...and now John Smoltz in Atl.

CerberusWG
05-05-2002, 11:38 PM
Almonte is basically a Foulke clone.

kermittheefrog
05-06-2002, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by CerberusWG
Almonte is basically a Foulke clone.

In style he's a Foulke clone. Foulke was a successful starter in the minors, Almonte didn't make it as a starter so he's a closer.

Randar68
05-06-2002, 11:12 AM

In style he's a Foulke clone. Foulke was a successful starter in the minors, Almonte didn't make it as a starter so he's a closer.

Almonte has a fastball that will touch 90 on occassion and a great straight change that looks like a splitter/cutter and drops off the table. I wouldn't be surprised to see him have major league success as a closer some day. Foulke was never going to be a closer, but a middle releiver, if you look back. Howry was always the one targeted for closer duty and Foulke just outperformed him.

And we all know how that turned out...(BTW, Hoffman only hits 90 on occassion last I saw)

kermittheefrog
05-06-2002, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Randar68

And we all know how that turned out...(BTW, Hoffman only hits 90 on occassion last I saw)

Hoffman is a shell of his former self. He's getting up there in years. He can still get the saves but doesn't dominate anymore. It was fun in 97-99 listening to Jon Miller scream about Hoffman's changeup and watching hitters flail at it when they are looking for 95 mph heat.