PDA

View Full Version : throwing back the homerun ball?

guillen4life13
05-05-2002, 06:54 PM
hey guys. i went to the game today, and sat in RF, just behind the bullpen bar. some fans right in front of us were heckling david justice, in the bottom of the 1st, and once justice came up in the second... whammo. but the main thing about this thread is that the guy who caught it gave in to all of the other fans, who told him to throw it back.

really... what's the point of throwing the ball back? it doesn't make you a better fan, because the A's don't care what you do. neither do the sox, for that matter. keep the ball, or if you don't want it, i'm sure over 1,000 kids in the park wouldn't mind a souvenir.

just my opinion... any thoughts?

Tragg
05-05-2002, 07:24 PM
What concerns me is who are these "other fans" encouraging a Sox fan to act like a stupid Cub?

CLR01
05-05-2002, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by Tragg
What concerns me is who are these "other fans" encouraging a Sox fan to act like a stupid Cub?

They are the casual fan that the Sox need to fill the park. It has been said many of times on this board that the Sox need to do more to draw these people to the park. If you want them there you have to accept the bagage that comes with them (i.e. throwing balls back, the wave, not knowing the score or whos playing, taking a piss where ever they drop your pants, puking all over the place. I got to itness the last two friday.

WinningUgly!
05-05-2002, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by Tragg
What concerns me is who are these "other fans" encouraging a Sox fan to act like a stupid Cub ?

No need for redundancies. :D:

Cheryl
05-06-2002, 07:31 AM
If Security would just throw people out who throw things onto the field, we wouldn't have this problem.

harwar
05-06-2002, 09:43 AM
I can't even say how angry it makes me to see a homerun ball thrown back.Whats' even worse is that there is not a damn thing we can do to stop it it.

Kilroy
05-06-2002, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Cheryl
If Security would just throw people out who throw things onto the field, we wouldn't have this problem.

Oh God no! Think of the ripping the Sox would take for doing that? The EVIL SOX deprive fans of their fun. Moronotti would piss himself with glee at the chance to write that column.

Just tolerate the morons. Do what you can to stop it, but unfortunately, it's something we just have to live with.

Cheryl
05-06-2002, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by Kilroy

Oh God no! Think of the ripping the Sox would take for doing that? The EVIL SOX deprive fans of their fun. Moronotti would piss himself with glee at the chance to write that column.

Why do you care what he thinks about anything?

Kilroy
05-06-2002, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Cheryl

Why do you care what he thinks about anything?

It's not what he thinks that bothers me, it's that what he thinks gets circulated to 10-15 million people everyday perpetuating the idea that the Sox suck and the Cubs are the best thing since sliced bread.

Cheryl
05-06-2002, 11:10 AM
If I'm reading the subject headings here correctly, he's jumped on the Sox bandwagon over the weekend. Maybe he'll write a column on how stupid and disruptive it is to thrown stuff onto the field.

on edit, because I forgot:

Crain's says both papers are losing readership big time, and maybe it's time newspapers in general re-think how to market themselves.

MattSharp
05-06-2002, 11:23 AM
The only thing I have to say is, if you want to throw back home run balls, go the North Side. They are the only losers who get their jollies doing that stupid stuff........

LuvChiSox
05-06-2002, 11:31 AM
It is very embarrassing to witness someone throwing a HR back. CLR01 is absolutely correct that the people who do it are the casual"fan" and not the dyed-in-the-wool true fans. The only time I think I would throw a HR ball back would be if it was hit by ShamME-- and I'd bean him with it as he hopped around the bases.

nut_stock
05-06-2002, 12:27 PM
I wouldn't even throw one of shammy's back. The ball is worth $14 just for having the mlb logo on it.

Foulke You
05-06-2002, 02:08 PM
A couple weeks ago on a Friday night game, we were sitting near the Sox bullpen when Wright gave up a homer and an idiot in the bleachers gave in and threw it back ignoring the pleas of Sox fans in my section to "keep it". However, everyone in our section turned around and started the "8 miles north!" chant which embarassed the hell out of all the idiots in the bleachers egging him to throw it back. I highly recommend this chant as a way of protesting your displeasure of the "throw it back" crap.

rmusacch
05-06-2002, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
A couple weeks ago on a Friday night game, we were sitting near the Sox bullpen when Wright gave up a homer and an idiot in the bleachers gave in and threw it back ignoring the pleas of Sox fans in my section to "keep it". However, everyone in our section turned around and started the "8 miles north!" chant which embarassed the hell out of all the idiots in the bleachers egging him to throw it back. I highly recommend this chant as a way of protesting your displeasure of the "throw it back" crap.

That is classic. Why did the Cubs fans start throwing back opponents homeruns in the first place? Does anyone know?

FarWestChicago
05-06-2002, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by rmusacch

That is classic. Why did the Cubs fans start throwing back opponents homeruns in the first place? Does anyone know? So many of them flew into the stands off of Flub pitching everybody there already had a few and got bored with them? :smile:

moochpuppy
05-06-2002, 03:18 PM
I'm still waiting for the day when someone throws a Cubbie homerun ball back onto the field. LMAO!!

Hell, get me into Wrigley and I'll throw a Cubbie foul ball back onto the field. :D:

PaleHoseGeorge
05-06-2002, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
So many of them flew into the stands off of Flub pitching everybody there already had a few and got bored with them? :smile:

It started with the Bleacher Bums of the late-60's. This was their dull-witted stab at humor, suggesting they didn't want a homerun ball hit by the opposition.

As dumb as the Bleacher Bums were, they weren't stupid enough to throw back a real-life homerun ball. Most of them brought balls with them to the park, which they lowered from their seats (using string) to get autographs from the players during batting practice. Once the game started, and the Flubbie pitchers inevitabley began serving meatballs, the Bums had a ready-supply of worthless balls in-hand to complete the charade.

It's the biggest scam played on Americas sports fans since a group of 4-F's won the National League pennant in '45.

Virtually every "tradition" of Wrigley Field has a hidden lie at its core. I could go on for hours about this subject.

My advice: don't believe the Cubune's hype.

:gulp:

MattSharp
05-06-2002, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by moochpuppy
I'm still waiting for the day when someone throws a Cubbie homerun ball back onto the field.

Hell yes. One of my dreams is to catch a Sosa HR in the bleachers then turn around and smile at the bleacher bums and then chuck it back onto the field. Ah, maybe someday...............

FarWestChicago
05-06-2002, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by MattSharp

Hell yes. One of my dreams is to catch a Sosa HR in the bleachers then turn around and smile at the bleacher bums and then chuck it back onto the field. Ah, maybe someday............... LOL, they would have a heart attack. To them it would be like tossing the Holy Grail away. :smile:

CubKilla
05-06-2002, 03:57 PM
That's bush league Cub fan stuff. I jump all over guys at Comiskey when they yell, "Throw it back." I saw a Cub fan at Wrigley years ago literally pry a baseball from a little boys hands and throw it back and the Cub fans were cheering on this moron. I wish I was old enough to beat him with a baseball bat. And these are the "Classier" fans according to Moronotti.