PDA

View Full Version : Hitting Coach Fired...

jabrch
06-09-2008, 01:42 PM
Now this team is in last place, scored the 2nd fewest runs in the AL, has the lowest OBP, the 2nd lowest avg, the 2nd lowest slg% and compounds it all with the 2nd worst ERA and the worst WHIP in baseball - but even still...

What's a new guy going to do with this group of dogs that Pentland couldn't do? Sexson, Jojima, Baletin, Vidro, Beltre...yuck. I'll take Thome, Konerko, Swish and OC over these guys any day.

Mariners fired hitting coach Jeff Pentland.

The Mariners have the game's worst record despite a top-10 payroll, and it's obviously Pentland's fault. He'll know better next time not to overpay for Richie Sexson, Carlos Silva, Miguel Batista and Jarrod Washburn. Also, he never should have traded for Jose Vidro and put together a ridiculous bench that included Miguel Cairo and Willie Bloomquist. And that's glossing over his biggest mistake of all: he saw two lesbians kissing at Safeco Field and did absolutely nothing to stop them. Lee Elia, his replacement, is very capable of putting the fans in their place when he needs to.

getonbckthr
06-09-2008, 04:44 PM
Seattle has to really think about its future. You have to assume guys like Sexson, Beltre and Vidro are available for merely a salary dump. Serious consideration of moving Ichiro may not be a good PR idea but for the future of the franchise a good idea to rebuild. For the Sox personally I don't think it would be worth what we need to give up or if we even have enough. However teams that could use an Ichiro (in the hunt opening in CF/RF) are teams like the Cubs, Blue Jays and the Marlins would all be good fits with enough pieces for a return.

TheOldRoman
06-09-2008, 06:31 PM
Seattle has to really think about its future. You have to assume guys like Sexson, Beltre and Vidro are available for merely a salary dump. Serious consideration of moving Ichiro may not be a good PR idea but for the future of the franchise a good idea to rebuild. For the Sox personally I don't think it would be worth what we need to give up or if we even have enough. However teams that could use an Ichiro (in the hunt opening in CF/RF) are teams like the Cubs, Blue Jays and the Marlins would all be good fits with enough pieces for a return.1. The Cubs didn't have enough to get one year of Brian Roberts. You think they have the pieces to trade for 4+ years of Ichiro?
2. The Blue Jays have Vernon Wells and Alex Rios. They are covered.
3. The Marlins? Seriously?

Tragg
06-09-2008, 06:48 PM
2 months ago the mariners were buyers....trade a bunch of position prospects for the "elite" Bedard, when they are ridiculously weak in positional talent.

Most of these "all in" deals for an "elite" starting pitcher end up backfiring.

I'm glad we didn't make that Cabrera deal - it probably would have cost what we gave for Swisher plus Fields and perhaps a pitcher....and we probably would have had to take Willis.

BadBobbyJenks
06-09-2008, 06:59 PM
Bavasi needs to go before anyone. He is the one who gave Sexson 15 million. He was the one who decided that they were ready to take on the Angels and unload the farm for Bedard when they clearly were not. He added Vidro and paid for the career year of Beltre.

That is a bad team that was just plain lucky last year.

Chicken Dinner
06-09-2008, 07:54 PM
And they pick 70 year old Lee Elia. :geezer:

BadBobbyJenks
06-09-2008, 07:57 PM
Not to mention what the hell are they doing drafting a college reliever with their first pick? They are not going to contend, what is the point of adding a reliever who can help you this season, but has no upside?

TheOldRoman
06-09-2008, 08:02 PM
2 months ago the mariners were buyers....trade a bunch of position prospects for the "elite" Bedard, when they are ridiculously weak in positional talent.

Most of these "all in" deals for an "elite" starting pitcher end up backfiring.

I'm glad we didn't make that Cabrera deal - it probably would have cost what we gave for Swisher plus Fields and perhaps a pitcher....and we probably would have had to take Willis.Fields and Danks were part of the near deal for Cabrera.

Tragg
06-09-2008, 08:09 PM
Fields and Danks were part of the near deal for Cabrera.
Yea, okay then...Just too much.
Williams is willing to do those kind of deals, but his real killer deals have been of the smaller variety, imo. "My prospect for your prospect"

getonbckthr
06-09-2008, 08:17 PM
1. The Cubs didn't have enough to get one year of Brian Roberts. You think they have the pieces to trade for 4+ years of Ichiro?
2. The Blue Jays have Vernon Wells and Alex Rios. They are covered.
3. The Marlins? Seriously?
1) It had nothing to do with the Cubs offer as to why Roberts is not on the northside. The Oriole owner (ANgelos?) didn't want to trade Roberts.
2) Right now the Blue Jays are starting Mench/Wilkerson in LF.
3) ....

goofymsfan
06-09-2008, 10:00 PM
Bavasi needs to go before anyone. He is the one who gave Sexson 15 million. He was the one who decided that they were ready to take on the Angels and unload the farm for Bedard when they clearly were not. He added Vidro and paid for the career year of Beltre.

That is a bad team that was just plain lucky last year.

M's fans have been saying this for several years now. In fact, my fans want to clean house from the top down starting with Chuck Armstrong and Howard Lincoln since they are the ones that hired Bavasi and continue to keep him around. They were also the ones responsible for not allowing Pat Gillick to make a trade that could have helped the M's go farther in the post season of 2001.

goofymsfan
06-09-2008, 10:02 PM
And they pick 70 year old Lee Elia. :geezer:

He's actually been with the team most of the year as a consultant so this is not a surprising move.

Ziggy S
06-10-2008, 10:26 AM
I tell you what, I hope we get ****ing hotter than ****.

palehozenychicty
06-10-2008, 11:52 AM
M's fans have been saying this for several years now. In fact, my fans want to clean house from the top down starting with Chuck Armstrong and Howard Lincoln since they are the ones that hired Bavasi and continue to keep him around. They were also the ones responsible for not allowing Pat Gillick to make a trade that could have helped the M's go farther in the post season of 2001.

Bavasi has been pretty awful as a GM. They can't seem to figure out what they want to do from an organizational standpoint. Getting Sexson and Vidro out of there will do wonders for that payroll, so they can get some positional talent. They really could've used Jones this year. He's looking like he'll be a good one.

goofymsfan
06-10-2008, 09:08 PM
Bavasi has been pretty awful as a GM. They can't seem to figure out what they want to do from an organizational standpoint. Getting Sexson and Vidro out of there will do wonders for that payroll, so they can get some positional talent. They really could've used Jones this year. He's looking like he'll be a good one.

That whole trade is looking horrible. While the M's needed and still need pitching, they gave up 5 players to get one. They gave up a key piece of their bullpen in George Sherrill who now has 21 saves for the O's. Adam Jones is also doing pretty well for them. We definitely need to get rid of Sexson and Vidro. Still not sure why we gave Kenji the contract extension when he is/was batting around .200. The team is in shambles no doubt about it. :whiner::whiner:

SOXSINCE'70
06-12-2008, 07:38 AM
I tell you what, I hope we get ****ing hotter than ****.

"If they're the real ****ing M's fans,they can kiss my ass right downtown,
and PRINT IT!!!!!!":D:

fquaye149
06-12-2008, 08:53 AM
Now this team is in last place, scored the 2nd fewest runs in the AL, has the lowest OBP, the 2nd lowest avg, the 2nd lowest slg% and compounds it all with the 2nd worst ERA and the worst WHIP in baseball - but even still...

What's a new guy going to do with this group of dogs that Pentland couldn't do? Sexson, Jojima, Baletin, Vidro, Beltre...yuck. I'll take Thome, Konerko, Swish and OC over these guys any day.

that proves it!

Jabrch: the master of selective hindsight!