PDA

View Full Version : Is this possible?

OfficerKarkovice
05-05-2002, 05:51 PM
From the MLB game write-up:

Frank Thomas' sixth-inning homer was his first to right field since Sept. 18, 1998.

I can't imagine this is correct...Frank hits a lot of HR's to right field I always thought. Especially when he hit 43 a couple years ago there is no way he didn't hit just one to right.

rmusacch
05-05-2002, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by OfficerKarkovice
From the MLB game write-up:

I can't imagine this is correct...Frank hits a lot of HR's to right field I always thought. Especially when he hit 43 a couple years ago there is no way he didn't hit just one to right.

I don't know if this is true or not but Hawk and DJ kept saying it had been a long time since he hit a homer to right. They said that he did it a lot in the first six years of his career.

Kilroy
05-05-2002, 07:47 PM
In thinking about it before I looked, I'd have guessed that the stat was correct. I honestly can't remember anything that was more than just a few feet right of center field for Thomas that season. But, I then looked at the hit chart on espn.com for his home runs, and it actually shows one HR for Hurt to straight-away right field. I don't remember it, but you can take that for what it's worth.

Otherwise, before the 98 and 99, Frank was home-run-dangerous to all fields. He also does his best hitting when he's driving the ball the opposite way, and usually struggles until he starts doing that. Not necessarily home runs, but line drives.

OEO Magglio
05-05-2002, 08:43 PM
I didn't see the homer today, but Rooney and Farmer, said that he had hit some to right center, but not to right, and I think they ment that, that was his first homer to right in comiskey but I'm not sure.

Kilroy
05-06-2002, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by OEO Magglio
I didn't see the homer today, but Rooney and Farmer, said that he had hit some to right center, but not to right, and I think they ment that, that was his first homer to right in comiskey but I'm not sure.

Nah, they can't say that. He hadn't come close to going deep the opposite way this year...anywhere.

kermittheefrog
05-06-2002, 12:19 AM
It really depends on what you classify as right. It's not all that rare to see Frank take one to right center. According to his hit chart in the Stats Scouting Notebook he had a couple shots in 2000 that could be classified as right depending on where you draw the line between right and right center.

I think the real question is: Is that homer a good sign or jsut a fluke?