PDA

View Full Version : Boras gets fired

clarkent
06-09-2008, 11:29 AM
Don't know if this has been mentioned on here yet but John Danks has released Boras as his agent. Definitely bodes well for a long career with the White Sox.

Sockinchisox
06-09-2008, 11:29 AM
Props to Danks!

MCHSoxFan
06-09-2008, 11:30 AM
Don't know if this has been mentioned on here yet but John Danks has released Boras as his agent. Definitely bodes well for a long career with the White Sox.

YEEESSS!!! I am going to right a thank you E-Mail to John right now!

doublem23
06-09-2008, 11:30 AM
I wonder if this will impact his megaprospect, White Sox draft pick, and Boras client brother, Jordan.

:praying:

Rocky Soprano
06-09-2008, 11:31 AM
You know who I was hoping had fired him!
Come on Crede! :D:

soxpride724
06-09-2008, 11:38 AM
I'm sick of these power hungry so called "super agents", that run all of our major sports.

oeo
06-09-2008, 11:40 AM
I wonder if this will impact his megaprospect, White Sox draft pick, and Boras client brother, Jordan.

That's my hope, as well. They seem to be a close family, so hopefully this is the case.

cards press box
06-09-2008, 11:41 AM

I was just thinking the same thing. Wouldn't it be great if the Danks brothers starred for the White Sox for a long time!

MCHSoxFan
06-09-2008, 11:42 AM
Just sent my thank you E-Mail to John.

clarkent
06-09-2008, 11:43 AM

It would be a safe assumption that Jordan is not going to be represented by Boras as well.

The Immigrant
06-09-2008, 11:44 AM
I was just thinking the same thing. Wouldn't it be great if the Danks brothers starred for the White Sox for a long time!

If KW ends up signing both Beckham and Danks, this will prove to be a stellar draft for the Sox - even though they didn't have either a "sandwich" or a second round pick.

My guess is the Sox will go over slot and will sign both of them.

jabrch
06-09-2008, 11:45 AM
I'm sick of theese power hungry so called "super agents", that run all of our major sports.

Well....

It isn't the agents...it is the players who hire them.

Frankly, I side with the players on this one. Owners are making bazillions of dollars. If I were one of the people responsible for generating that revenue, I'd want my piece of it.

Sockinchisox
06-09-2008, 11:47 AM
Anyone have a source for this? I'm not doubting it, I just want to see it.

jabrch
06-09-2008, 11:47 AM
It would be a safe assumption that Jordan is not going to be represented by Boras as well.

I disagree. If that were the case, he'd have fired him long before the draft.

I'm sure the contract Boras has with a kid like Danks guarantees him a cut of his first contract at this point.

Either way - regardless of what happens with Jordan, it is a good sign for us with regards to John who is much more important to us right now than Jordan. (not to say that I won't be thrilled if the kid signs with us...)

Britt Burns
06-09-2008, 11:52 AM
Well....

It isn't the agents...it is the players who hire them.

Frankly, I side with the players on this one. Owners are making bazillions of dollars. If I were one of the people responsible for generating that revenue, I'd want my piece of it.

I totally agree. You may dislike his tactics, but he is simply doing his job: making sure his clients get as much money as possible.

jabrch
06-09-2008, 11:53 AM
If KW ends up signing both Beckham and Danks, this will prove to be a stellar draft for the Sox - even though they didn't have either a "sandwich" or a second round pick.

My guess is the Sox will go over slot and will sign both of them.

There are a few other ? that could really be difference makers in this draft for us. Upchurch and Weaver are HS kids who we drafted and I am sure are working to sign. Weaver may sign - as long as we make it worth while to forgo his JC scholarship. Don't know anything about Upchurch. We drafted Howie Long's younger son - but I'm fairly sure he goes to school @ FSU. Then we drafted a bunch of HS kids who are all candidates to sign.

That said, let's look back in 3 years at this draft and see how it worked out. :-)

Optipessimism
06-09-2008, 11:57 AM
I hope this is true. I hope this moves on to his brother and Crede as well. With Crede showing he's healthy, I'd like all three of those guys under contract.

turners56
06-09-2008, 12:12 PM
Well, I guess business will be easier a couple of years down the road.

ondafarm
06-09-2008, 12:58 PM
I see the nasty agent being a product of a system of nasty owners. Bill Veeck tells the story of negotiating on his own with players directly. His players trusted him and he treated them decently in negotiations, not superbly, but decently. I don't think being cheap with players in their developmental years is a money-saver in the long run, but I've heard both major partners of the Sox say how smart they were for saving 40 grand on a particular player.

btrain929
06-09-2008, 01:19 PM

Source?

cws05champ
06-09-2008, 01:22 PM
Maybe the Sox can get a longer term deal done with Danks now and lock him up past his arb years with options.

Steelrod
06-09-2008, 01:28 PM
I see the nasty agent being a product of a system of nasty owners. Bill Veeck tells the story of negotiating on his own with players directly. His players trusted him and he treated them decently in negotiations, not superbly, but decently. I don't think being cheap with players in their developmental years is a money-saver in the long run, but I've heard both major partners of the Sox say how smart they were for saving 40 grand on a particular player.
On the other side of the coin, there are 150-160 minor league players on the payroll who will never sniff the big leagues.

Navarro's Talent
06-09-2008, 01:37 PM
Good news. I'd like to see both Danks brothers on the South Side, and I think this makes that idea much easier to make happen.

Irishsox1
06-09-2008, 01:53 PM
According to Cot's baseball contracts (http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2005/01/chicago-white-sox.html), Danks is now represented by CSMG...whoever that is,

Stoky44
06-09-2008, 02:10 PM
According to Cot's baseball contracts (http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2005/01/chicago-white-sox.html), Danks is now represented by CSMG...whoever that is,

Could that be a mistake on their site, and we read into that as Boras being fired?

jabrch
06-09-2008, 02:12 PM

I think that is Alan Nero and company - based out of Chicago.

Scottzilla
06-09-2008, 02:28 PM
I totally agree. You may dislike his tactics, but he is simply doing his job: making sure his clients get as much money as possible.

That is what is in his interest, it's not neccisarrily his job, his job is to represent the player and negotiate on the players behalf. I think the problem with these "super agents" is that they are only representing their own interests - Lots a money. A borass wouldnt care if a joe crede would like a shot at another championship, he will always try to talk him into going FA for the money.
The tactics don't seem to jive with the players interests either, why alienate potential employers as well as the fans?

doublem23
06-09-2008, 03:20 PM
That is what is in his interest, it's not neccisarrily his job, his job is to represent the player and negotiate on the players behalf. I think the problem with these "super agents" is that they are only representing their own interests - Lots a money. A borass wouldnt care if a joe crede would like a shot at another championship, he will always try to talk him into going FA for the money.
The tactics don't seem to jive with the players interests either, why alienate potential employers as well as the fans?

Well, considering the Devil Rays would be in the play-offs and the Tigers aren't in last place only because the Royals are well, the Royals, that line about "wanting to play for another championship" is pretty hollow in this era of new found parity in the MLB. Whether or not you want to believe it, players are ultimately responsible for their fates... Considering that professional athletes only have a very short time to exploit the game they play for a payday, it's no surprise many of them want to get the fattest contract they can find.

Boras may come off as a dick to fans and owners, but if I were in Crede or some other player's shoes, it would be hard for me to not want to be represented by a guy with such proven results.

jabrch
06-09-2008, 03:40 PM
but if I were in Crede or some other player's shoes, it would be hard for me to not want to be represented by a guy with such proven results.

Agreed....

Now the real balance is the following.

Get the right agent - and that may be Boras - and direct him to get your the best possible deal with the team you want to go to. It is hard to have your cake and eat it too - but the players should have that kind of leverage. Ultimately, however, someone like Crede may have to choose.

A boatload of money to play for the Sox

vs

1.5 Boatloads to play for the _______?

Then it is up to the player - regardless of the agents advice and counsel. That's where Agents get a bad rap. They ultimately do what their clients direct them to do. It is incumbent on Crede to direct his agent to either get him the best overall deal, or get him the best deal with a particular club.

Sockinchisox
06-09-2008, 04:23 PM
Both John and Jordan have dumped Boras, both are now represented by Jeff Berry (Konerko and Buehrle's agent).

Danks brothers drop Boras (http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2008/06/danks-brothers.html)

doublem23
06-09-2008, 04:39 PM
Both John and Jordan have dumped Boras, both are now represented by Jeff Berry (Konerko and Buehrle's agent).

Danks brothers drop Boras (http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2008/06/danks-brothers.html)

:bandance:

2nd best news of the day, only behind Paulie's 2-run bomb earlier this inning.

Frater Perdurabo
06-09-2008, 05:03 PM

This is fantastic news!

thomas35forever
06-09-2008, 05:14 PM
Hopefully, this means Danks is with us for the long run. It just makes a good day better.

Frater Perdurabo
06-09-2008, 05:19 PM
Hopefully, this means Danks is with us for the long run. It just makes a good day better.

I hope that this means that both Danks brothers will be with the Sox for a while.

I would hope that the Sox would extend an "reward" by offering Jordan Danks "second round" money, since they didn't have a second round pick.

This might help convince Crede that he needs to make a similar change.

jabrch
06-09-2008, 05:25 PM

Now THAT'S awesome news.

jabrch
06-09-2008, 05:26 PM
I would hope that the Sox would extend an "reward" by offering Jordan Danks "second round" money, since they didn't have a second round pick.

I'm sure that's about what he is looking for...either first or second round $.

thomas35forever
06-09-2008, 05:28 PM
Now THAT'S awesome news.
No kidding. It just adds to the hope that the Danks brothers are here for the next several years.

LoveYourSuit
06-09-2008, 05:37 PM
Mr Crede.... it is time for you to dump that piece of crap!

Sockinchisox
06-09-2008, 05:48 PM
If Jordan dropped because of signability issues, this is a steal now.

GregO23
06-09-2008, 06:09 PM
We got to make sure Danks dont go back to school. We are looking so solid up the middle in the future with Alexei, Beckham, Ramirez, Danks, and *Richar*. Danks is a Junior so he might have said he is returning to school next year, which is why he fell so late. I dont see how this speedster with a high average and stellar defense fell to us "just becuase of the money." We better offer this kid alot of money if we want to keep him

hi im skot
06-09-2008, 06:32 PM
We got to make sure Danks dont go back to school.

/kittle42's head explodes

Boondock Saint
06-09-2008, 06:50 PM
My first reaction: This is awesome.

My second reaction: Why would John drop him now? Does it have something to do with Jordan? I don't know, it just seems like strange timing.

BadBobbyJenks
06-09-2008, 07:08 PM
Why is everyone so high on Jordan Danks?

Daver
06-09-2008, 07:13 PM
Why is everyone so high on Jordan Danks?

Decent upside, coachable, good mechanics.

BadBobbyJenks
06-09-2008, 07:20 PM
Decent upside, coachable, good mechanics.

I know he was a potential first day pick coming out of high school. Why did he fall to the 7th round three years later?

Daver
06-09-2008, 07:21 PM
I know he was a potential first day pick coming out of high school. Why did he fall to the 7th round three years later?

Signability. Not uncommon with kids represented by Boras, and rumors he was overused in college, though I don't see it.

clarkent
06-09-2008, 07:24 PM
Anyone have a source for this? I'm not doubting it, I just want to see it.

I know I am not "Otis" but I had good info on this one. It is fair to say, Jordan had a lot to do with this.

doublem23
06-09-2008, 08:03 PM

I think I read somewhere, too that he never seemed to display his awesome high school potential at Texas, and especially lacked power. Don't know how much of that is true, but pretty much all baseball draft picks are works in progress.

cws05champ
06-09-2008, 09:03 PM
It was sigability, but a little more than that. Jordan Danks was supposed to be one of the best college atheletes in the draft. He had power coming out of HS out homering Cameron Maybin in an All American home run contest, but has displayed no power in college(12HR's in 3 seasons). He was moved to the 2 hole in college which he said took away his agressive power stroke, just trying to improve avg, OBP and poking the ball to move guys up. He was recently moved to the 3 hole at UT. Lets hope he gets into the Sox system and can be a nice prospect. Good athelete with upside if his power returns.

Word is that his former agent (Boras) has told teams not to draft him because he is going back to Texas unless he gets 1st round $$.

soxfanreggie
06-09-2008, 09:51 PM
Glad he dumped him, but I'm not sold on giving him 1st round money.

cwsfannick
06-09-2008, 10:55 PM
Not that the Sox ever extend pitchers long term, but I wonder if they would try to buy out Dank's arbitration years. Boras would never allow that to happen. Stability for a player and a potential cost savings to the team.

LoveYourSuit
06-10-2008, 12:45 AM
With the way pitching arms fall off from year to year.... I think it is way too early to start thinking long term with both Danks and Floyd.

Let's have them perform like this for 200 innings + and 30+ starts.... then I might consider it.

Britt Burns
06-10-2008, 12:55 AM

The main reason was that his power did not come around as expected. Keep in mind that UT can be tough to hit in though, and Danks did show progress each of his three years here. At this point in his development, the most similar recent Sox prospect I can think of is Ryan Sweeney, although other than both batting left-handed they don't physically resemble each other a whole lot.