PDA

View Full Version : Your Vote for KW's Best Off Season Acquisition?

TomBradley72
06-09-2008, 11:06 AM
It's not easy to pick just one, but which gets your vote for KW's best overall move (excluding Quentin acquisition)? (ie. results of player acquired, value of player trades, annual salary, the whole ball of wax).

MCHSoxFan
06-09-2008, 11:15 AM
It's not easy to pick just one, but which gets your vote for KW's best overall move (excluding Quentin acquisition)? (ie. results of player acquired, value of player trades, annual salary, the whole ball of wax).

Easily Alexi and Scotty. Alexi and a position player and Scotty as a pitcher. However, I do like the other moves. These just have the MOST posotive effect on the team. I really do hop Swish, OC, and OD follow very, very soon to the exact same status.

MCHSoxFan
06-09-2008, 11:18 AM
Oh, one more thing! BOTH Alexei and Scotty were acquired by $. We did NOT have to give up MLB/AAA players for them. Not like we had anybody in AAA to give up anyway! :D: Plus, Alexei was DIRT cheap. Especially considering how GOOD he has been playing.

RockyMtnSoxFan
06-09-2008, 11:22 AM
I was pretty excited about getting Alexei when it happened, and I'm even more excited now. I think he has the potential to be really good, and it seems that the Sox always miss out on the young players with tons of potential. Plus, look at what he's done so far, and then consider that he went straight from Cuba to the majors.

sox1970
06-09-2008, 11:24 AM
Seriously, it's time for the Alexi thing to stop.

It's Alexei. Learn it. Know it. Live it.

That said, I'd say Alexei has been a huge move.

balke
06-09-2008, 11:26 AM
Ramirez has been awesome, but the Sox didn't lose last season because of a bad 2Bman. Linebrink is/was/will be the key to winning for the Sox. That bullpen was pathetic last year.

ElevenUp
06-09-2008, 11:34 AM
I'll go with Linebrink. He's been lights out in the 8th inning. With as much indigestion as the bullpen gave me last year, I haven't had to reach for tums yet this year when Ozzie goes to the pen in the late innings.:D:

Thome_Fan
06-09-2008, 11:50 AM
As much as I love Alexei, I do find myself missing the Gooch sometimes.
:whiner:

Sockinchisox
06-09-2008, 11:53 AM
I went with Dotel, I know he blew a couple of games for us early on in the season. But he's come in countless times to clean up our pitcher's messes and has succeeded more times than not. Linebrink has been stellar, but I just think Dotel has saved our asses in the 6th/7th more than Linebrink has in the 8th.

twsoxfan5
06-09-2008, 11:55 AM
Seriously, it's time for the Alexi thing to stop.

It's Alexei. Learn it. Know it. Live it.

That said, I'd say Alexei has been a huge move.

I personally think the correcting people for spelling errors has to stop. You can be a good fan and still spell a name wrong especially one like that. Anyways I voted for Linebrink.

skottyj242
06-09-2008, 11:56 AM
Getting Doc Oc.

Optipessimism
06-09-2008, 12:02 PM
Linebrink with Alexei a close second. Given the fact that for long stretches the offense hasn't done much at all, if we didn't have Linebrink we'd probably be a .500 ballclub right now or close to it. When you think about what Scott has done, you have to figure all those innings going to MacDougal most likely instead and then on top of that you end up pushing everybody else in the pen sans Jenks up a notch into a role that is more difficult. For example, even though he's a lefty, it would've been much harder to bring Logan and also Masset along kind of slowly this season if Linebrink hadn't been eating all those innings. His presence has made it easier on the whole team and has certainly contributed to the confidence level of other relievers on the team.

doublem23
06-09-2008, 12:06 PM
As much as I love Alexei, I do find myself missing the Gooch sometimes.
:whiner:

The guy that's hitting .259/.324/.343 for a team in dead last?

balke
06-09-2008, 12:08 PM
The guy that's hitting .259/.324/.343 for a team in dead last?

Hehe, statistically you are not allowed to miss Gooch Thome_Fan. The math just won't allow it.

turners56
06-09-2008, 12:11 PM
I'm torn between Alexei and Linebrink. But I think Linebrink means a lot more to this team with the role he is in.

ChiSoxFan7
06-09-2008, 12:39 PM
alexei only because our bullpen has been pretty much solid throughout. all of the relievers have been doing very well while our middle infield ( and entire infield) have been playing sub par.

if it was between relief pitchers or alexei it is the relief, but just considering a single person, it's alexei.

But in the end it doesn't really matter cuz it's a 25 man roster for a reason....
dancing for the seventh straight!:bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance:: bandance::bandance:.....:bandance:?

VeeckAsInWreck
06-09-2008, 01:26 PM
Getting Doc Oc.

I admire your tenacity with sticking with that nickname.

Anyway, I voted for Alexei because there was little fanfare about him when he was acquired and on top of that KW got him at a very affordable price.

The other moves have been great as well, although most deemed him overpriced Scott Linebrink has been worth every cent of his deal. Dotel has been an improvement over what we had last year. Swish is starting to come around and OC has been decent considering that his trade opened up a rotation spot for Danks/Floyd.

All in all KW has done a great job and I tip my hat to him. :tiphat:

ChiTownTrojan
06-09-2008, 01:28 PM
Definitely Alexei and Linebrink. Linebrink was more of an obvious solution (best reliever available) to an obvious problem (horrid bullpen) that we had to pay a lot for. Alexei was cheap and "under the radar", so he gets my vote.

Man, was I wrong when I was calling for him to be shipped to Charlotte for more playing time a month ago.

Sox
06-09-2008, 07:52 PM
I gotta go with Swish.....the guy has absolutely been on fire recently especially two homers in two days which within itself would not seem to be significant but I based my decision on the fact that Swish's bat has come alive at the right time, especially with the White Sox's Offense kicking into overdrive in runs scored....my second choice would have been Alexei.....

Boondock Saint
06-09-2008, 08:29 PM
It's gotta be Doc Oc and Linebrink. Our bullpen was disgustingly, horribly, terribly, embarrassingly, horrifyingly bad last year. Now we've got the best bullpen ERA in baseball. If this years team plays with last years bullpen, we've got at least 10 less wins right now.

JB98
06-09-2008, 08:35 PM
Linebrink. Having a solid guy for the eighth inning makes such a huge difference.

The MacDougal/Aardsma experience is a faint memory.

BadBobbyJenks
06-09-2008, 08:35 PM
It's gotta be Doc Oc and Linebrink. Our bullpen was disgustingly, horribly, terribly, embarrasingly horrifyingly bad last year. Now we've got the best bullpen ERA in baseball. If this years team plays with last years bullpen, we've got at least 10 less wins right now.

If I could combine Doc Oc and Linebrink into one that would be my choice as well. The pen was what you said plus ridiculously bad last year and now it is one of the best in all of baseball. Hard to argue with Alexei because not only is he showing signs of being a very good player, but it moved Fat **** to the bench.

chisox77
06-09-2008, 09:20 PM
All of those moves were quite good. I did not pick one.

:cool:

chisoxfanatic
06-09-2008, 09:57 PM
I picked Alexei. I knew NOTHING about him before he came here and didn't think he'd have THIS much impact already!