PDA

View Full Version : This is what I don't understand about Manuel...

Tragg
05-05-2002, 02:24 PM
Okay, Kenny Lofton needs a day off. Or maybe it's because Lofton can't hit lefties (although I bet he can hit them better than clayton can).

So what does he do:

a)Also Bench valentine off of a 5 RBI day
b)make damn sure that the offensive black hole, royce clayton, remains in the lineup. He refuses to bench clayton - ever.

FarWestChicago
05-05-2002, 02:39 PM
It's your classic JM "We won the first two. Let's see what happens if I pull names from a hat." lineup.

Jerry_Manuel
05-05-2002, 02:59 PM
He always benches Valentin when they face a lefty.

Tragg
05-05-2002, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

Why?

Chisox_cali
05-05-2002, 04:12 PM
Well now they got a righty in there so I expect some pinch hitting from Manos and/or Lofton

Chisox353014
05-05-2002, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali
Well now they got a righty in there so I expect some pinch hitting from Manos and/or Lofton

Well here's Royce hitting off a righty to lead off the eigth and striking out. :angry: Gimme a break Manuel!

Iguana775
05-05-2002, 04:49 PM
another thing about manual, i think he may use foulke too much.

manual must have thought that the score was reversed with us winning 3-2 when he put him in. i just dont get it. is it to just get him work?? i dont know of any other reason to use our closer when we are losing.

Tragg
05-05-2002, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Chisox353014

Well here's Royce hitting off a righty to lead off the eigth and striking out. :angry: Gimme a break Manuel!

That's just unbelievable.

That is so obviously and blatantly ridiculous, that I'm really starting to believe that one of the motives behind Manuel's managing is to stroke the ego of Kenny Williams.

Procol Harum
05-05-2002, 05:13 PM
Ya might have thought that perhaps Valentin might could have ph for Royce late in the game. For all of Manuel's line-up manuevering (which, we must say has been blessedly more infrequent this year) the one no-no seems to be subbing for Clayton, particularly with Valentin.

FarWestChicago
05-05-2002, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by Procol Harum
Ya might have thought that perhaps Valentin might could have ph for Royce late in the game. For all of Manuel's line-up manuevering (which, we must say has been blessedly more infrequent this year) the one no-no seems to be subbing for Clayton, particularly with Valentin. :jerry

Royce is my Choice. Period!

MisterB
05-05-2002, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

Originally posted by Tragg
Why?

Jose Valentin '99-'00
vs. RHP .265 avg .509 slg
vs. LHP .225 avg .358 slg

But I would have liked to see him PH for Graffy in the 8th :(:

Originally posted by Iguana775
another thing about manual, i think he may use foulke too much.

Foulke's pitched only 2 innings in the last week, and so far has been pitching about as frequently as the last couple of years. Don't sweat it (yet...)

Originally posted by Tragg
That is so obviously and blatantly ridiculous, that I'm really starting to believe that one of the motives behind Manuel's managing is to stroke the ego of Kenny Williams.

No ego stroking, just a mental block about playing anyone other than Clayton at SS. :smile:

voodoochile
05-05-2002, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by Chisox353014

He also had Leifer on the bench and let Graffiano bat too...

I don't get it at all...

foulkesfan11
05-05-2002, 05:26 PM
Manuel is a very big believer in the whole right, lefty thing. SOmetimes it gets on my f'ing nerves.

I still say ... :firejerry

kermittheefrog
05-05-2002, 06:01 PM
For some reason Manuel has a steadfast refusal to pinch hit for everyday positioned players. This may come from the fact that he coached in the NL before managing here and you had to save your pinch hitters for the pitchers spot. However now he is the AL and there is no point in not pinch hitting Liefer for Clayton. I don't care if Clayton plays everyday, Liefer has a better shot against a righthanded pitcher. Stupid Manuel. GRRRRR

FarWestChicago
05-05-2002, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
However now he is the AL and there is no point in not pinch hitting Liefer for Clayton. I don't care if Clayton plays everyday, Liefer has a better shot against a righthanded pitcher. Stupid Manuel. GRRRRR :liefer

Jerry didn't take me with when he took Royce for post game ice cream, either.