PDA

View Full Version : White Sox VS Orioles Suspended game

LoveYourSuit
06-08-2008, 10:51 PM
I was wondering this scenario while at the stadium today regarding that extra inning game we need to continue with the Orioles.

Do we have to play that game with the exact same players/roster the game was stopped with? Meaning that bench players used are gone, relievers used are gone, etc.

The reason I ask this is that It sort ties a team down from making roster moves from here until that date comes about. Example, I believe Uribe tied that game for us and was playing up unitl stop of play .... what if we were to trade or release him and we did not have anymore bench players left that day?

That makeup date is in August I believe and this will affect the trade deadline.

Kind of not fair IMO to be tied down because of scheduling.

IlliniSox4Life
06-08-2008, 10:55 PM
If I recall correctly, any new players that are obtained are eligible to play. The only ones who aren't are those that have been taken out of the game already. Which brings up the possibility of a player for either one of the teams who played being traded or released and signed by the other team, and appearing for both teams in the same game.

sox1970
06-08-2008, 10:57 PM
If I recall correctly, any new players that are obtained are eligible to play. The only ones who aren't are those that have been taken out of the game already. Which brings up the possibility of a player for either one of the teams who played being traded or released and signed by the other team, and appearing for both teams in the same game.

Correct.

soxfanreggie
06-08-2008, 10:58 PM
I wonder when the last time that happened was. a

LoveYourSuit
06-08-2008, 11:04 PM

That is awesome then.

I thought it would be kind of odd if the rosters would have to stay the same.

Injuries, trades, demotions, releases had to be taken into consideration.

21stcenturySox
06-08-2008, 11:22 PM
Will the Sox be the home team for the suspended game--keep in mind it will be in Baltimore?

IOW do we still get last raps?

sox1970
06-08-2008, 11:23 PM
Will the Sox be the home team for the suspended game--keep in mind it will be in Baltimore?

IOW do we still get last raps?

Yes, it's the top of the 12th, and Kevin Millar is up.

21stcenturySox
06-08-2008, 11:31 PM
Yes, it's the top of the 12th, and Kevin Millar is up.

Great. Thanks for that.

I realize JU gets a lot of guff here, but he really save the day with that game tying home run before the week on hellish turf.

gf2020
06-09-2008, 01:55 AM
The game resumes Monday, August 25th.

IMHO, the White Sox are in a much better position. Their only ineligible players are Alexi Ramirez, Javier Vazquez and Bobby Jenks. Scott Linebrink was currently in the game when it ended, so one assumes he will start the 12th.

The Orioles, on the other hand, have used up Guillermo Quiroz, Jay Payton, Luiz Hernandez, Dennis Sarfate, Jim Johnson, Jamie Walker and Chad Bradford. George Sherrill is currently their pitcher.

The lineups essentially are:

Millar 1B
Huff DH
Scott LF
Jones CF
Fahey SS*
Hernandez C
Roberts 2B
Mora 3B
Markakis RF
*Currently in Norfolk. Unsure if not bringing him up for the game forces the Orioles to use another roster spot.

Quentin LF
Crede 3B
Anderson CF
Uribe 2B
Swisher RF
Cabrera SS
Thome DH
Konerko 1B
Pierzysnki C

Hopefully, the Orioles will dump Roberts and others at the deadline. You gotta hope TCQ or Joe end it quickly.

Scottiehaswheels
06-09-2008, 02:21 AM
Hopefully, the Orioles will dump Roberts and others at the deadline. You gotta hope TCQ or Joe end it quickly.Do they sell tickets for it and then force everyone out of the stadium after it's over? Could you imagine paying $10 for a ticket, only to have the game end 10 minutes later?

TDog
06-09-2008, 03:23 AM
Do they sell tickets for it and then force everyone out of the stadium after it's over? Could you imagine paying $10 for a ticket, only to have the game end 10 minutes later?

A suspended game is a bonus for people with tickets for the regularly scheduled game on that night. The gate has already been collected by the White Sox.

ondafarm
06-09-2008, 08:08 AM
The game resumes Monday, August 25th.

IMHO, the White Sox are in a much better position. Their only ineligible players are Alexi Ramirez, Javier Vazquez and Bobby Jenks. Scott Linebrink was currently in the game when it ended, so one assumes he will start the 12th.

The Orioles, on the other hand, have used up Guillermo Quiroz, Jay Payton, Luiz Hernandez, Dennis Sarfate, Jim Johnson, Jamie Walker and Chad Bradford. George Sherrill is currently their pitcher.

The lineups essentially are:

Millar 1B
Huff DH
Scott LF
Jones CF
Fahey SS*
Hernandez C
Roberts 2B
Mora 3B
Markakis RF
*Currently in Norfolk. Unsure if not bringing him up for the game forces the Orioles to use another roster spot.

Quentin LF
Crede 3B
Anderson CF
Uribe 2B
Swisher RF
Cabrera SS
Thome DH
Konerko 1B
Pierzysnki C

Hopefully, the Orioles will dump Roberts and others at the deadline. You gotta hope TCQ or Joe end it quickly.

Any player not on the roster when the game resumes will need to be subbed for by someone on the roster who was not already in the game and taken out. In other words anybody but Guillermo Quiroz, Jay Payton, Luiz Hernandez, Dennis Sarfate, Jim Johnson, Jamie Walker and Chad Bradford.

If the Orioles cannot field a team then they would forfeit.

DSpivack
06-09-2008, 11:37 AM
Can't wait to see a walk-off White Sox winner at Camden Yards! :tongue:

sox1970
06-09-2008, 11:40 AM
Can't wait to see a walk-off White Sox winner at Camden Yards! :tongue:

It'll be interesting to see if the Sox play it cool if they win considering it may only be one inning, and they have another game to play 30 minutes later.

ChiSoxFan7
06-09-2008, 11:52 AM
if it goes on for a while0 (5+ innings)

do they cancel the "next" game, what are the rules on that?

skottyj242
06-09-2008, 12:09 PM

They just have to start the next game about a half hour after the first one ends. Is this the reason we got Loaiza?

TDog
06-09-2008, 12:11 PM

The regular game will follow the suspended game regardless, weather permitting. There used to be an American League curfew forbidding innings to start after 1 a.m., but that was abolished years ago. Most of the suspended games people remember were due to that curfew and there being no lights at Wrigley Field.

On May 26, 1973, The White Sox-Indians game at Old Comiskey was suspended because of the curfew after 16 innings. A home run by Dick Allen ended the game in the 21st inning when it was resumed two nights later. Wilbur Wood, who pitched the last five innings, went on to pitch a shutout in the regularly scheduled game.

On May 9, 1984, the White Sox-Brewers game at Old Comiskey was suspended after 17 with the score 3-3. The next night, the Sox played eight innings of the game that ended with a Harold Baines home run. Tom Seaver, who pitched the 25th inning for the Sox, won the regularly scheduled game, starting and pitching into the ninth in the 5-4 win.

whitesoxwilkes
06-09-2008, 12:21 PM
Will the Sox wear their home unis and then switch to their road greys, or will they just wear the black alternates?

I'll be in Baltimore for the 6th year in a row. Looking forward to it.

skottyj242
06-09-2008, 12:26 PM
Will the Sox wear their home unis and then switch to their road greys, or will they just wear the black alternates?

I'll be in Baltimore for the 6th year in a row. Looking forward to it.

I need a new Pickle's shirt.

LoveYourSuit
06-09-2008, 03:09 PM
This is going to be a first for me and the telecast will be kind of weird...or will it even be televised?

I want Mags back
06-09-2008, 04:40 PM
This is going to be a first for me and the telecast will be kind of weird...or will it even be televised?

I can assure you it will be

downstairs
06-09-2008, 04:44 PM
I wonder when the last time that happened was. a

Are you talking about a player playing in the same game for two different teams? I believe, while possible, it has never happened.

downstairs
06-09-2008, 04:48 PM
Can someone explain to me why the O's aren't going to pick up the game in June when they come to play the Cubs? They're off that Monday. We're off that Monday and will have played in Chicago against the Cubs the day before. Yeah, we gotta leave for LA for Tuesday, but the game could be resumed at noon or something. Could last no more than a few minutes!

Daver
06-09-2008, 04:51 PM
Can someone explain to me why the O's aren't going to pick up the game in June when they come to play the Cubs? They're off that Monday. We're off that Monday and will have played in Chicago against the Cubs the day before. Yeah, we gotta leave for LA for Tuesday, but the game could be resumed at noon or something. Could last no more than a few minutes!

When you are traveling more than one time zone the CBA calls for a travel day, and has few exceptions.

LoveYourSuit
06-09-2008, 05:09 PM
When you are traveling more than one time zone the CBA calls for a travel day, and has few exceptions.

Besides, the day off is worth more to the Sox than whatever "home field advantage" the rest of that extra inning played at the Cell would give them.

No reason to open the park up on a game that might take 10 min to complete. (Expensive to operate a park with staff, security, concessions, etc).

Zisk77
06-09-2008, 06:03 PM
Intersesting note: TCQ leads off the 12th for us when the game resumes. If he gets a triple, he will have hit for the Cycle :cool:.

HomeFish
06-09-2008, 06:38 PM
I wonder what the announcer will say. "Welcome to Camden Yard, the home of your Chicago White Sox"?

Also, I wonder how "player x got traded in the 12th inning, replaced with y" gets scored on the official box score.

DSpivack
06-09-2008, 06:44 PM
I wonder what the announcer will say. "Welcome to Camden Yard, the home of your Chicago White Sox"?

Also, I wonder how "player x got traded in the 12th inning, replaced with y" gets scored on the official box score.

It'll probably look like any other substitution.

MrRoboto83
06-09-2008, 08:19 PM
Intersesting note: TCQ leads off the 12th for us when the game resumes. If he gets a triple, he will have hit for the Cycle :cool:.

I love how in baseball there is always a first for something.

cwsfannick
06-09-2008, 08:35 PM
Didn't Aubrey Huff get thrown out? I know someone from the O's did.