PDA

View Full Version : Mackowiak released

kba
06-08-2008, 10:03 PM
Gone (http://washingtontimes.com/news/2008/jun/08/seldom-used-mackowiak-gets-released/) from the Nats after hitting .132 off the bench.

balke
06-08-2008, 10:14 PM
No one even ask, the answer is no.

oeo
06-08-2008, 10:14 PM
That trade to the Padres last year must have been a kick to the balls.

gogosox16
06-08-2008, 10:25 PM
Noone even ask, the answer is no.
Who wants Mack back...sorry i had to do it:tongue:

LongLiveFisk
06-08-2008, 10:37 PM
Noone even ask, the answer is no.

Be careful. The question might be, "Is there any reason we wouldn't take him back?" :redneck

Tragg
06-08-2008, 10:41 PM
No

DumpJerry
06-08-2008, 10:45 PM
He plays Third. Come on, Kenny...DFA Crede and sign Mac!

getonbckthr
06-08-2008, 10:47 PM
Be careful. The question might be, "Is there any reason we wouldn't take him back?" :redneck
Is there a reason, yes and its our manager. As much as I love Ozzie he had a thing for GroundoutWIAK..

Bucky F. Dent
06-08-2008, 10:49 PM
No. Please, no.

Foulke You
06-09-2008, 02:02 AM
Mack was a solid bench player in '06 for us but his skills really seemed to fall off the table last year in '07 even before the trade to the Padres. I thought being back in the NL would revive him but he hasn't recovered. He is a lefty bat though with a track record of being a decent bench player who can play anywhere. It wouldn't shock me if some team in the league picked him up despite the .137 avg.

TDog
06-09-2008, 02:54 AM
I'm sorry to read this. Mackowiak is a good guy who played hard. Before he came to the Sox, I thought he might look good in a Sox uniform. I really thought he would improve the team.

There is no place on the White Sox for him, but I hope someone picks him up.

Boondock Saint
06-09-2008, 03:03 AM
Coop can fix him! :redneck

WSox597
06-09-2008, 06:53 AM

Yes, because Swisher and Anderson would be on the bench, and Rob would be dying out there in center field the day after he signed.

No teal.

Frater Perdurabo
06-09-2008, 07:50 AM
OK, I'll bite.

Because they back up the same positions, Ozuna and Uribe sort of make each other redundant. Uribe can field at three positions. Ozuna isn't a very good fielder but can run well and tends to come up with timely hits.

I wouldn't mind a return of Mackowiak to replace either Uribe or Ozuna. He's a pretty good LH hitter (this years numbers with the Nats notwithstanding). He could back up RF, LF, 1B and 3B and pinch hit well.

balke
06-09-2008, 09:43 AM
OK, I'll bite.

Because they back up the same positions, Ozuna and Uribe sort of make each other redundant. Uribe can field at three positions. Ozuna isn't a very good fielder but can run well and tends to come up with timely hits.

I wouldn't mind a return of Mackowiak to replace either Uribe or Ozuna. He's a pretty good LH hitter (this years numbers with the Nats notwithstanding). He could back up RF, LF, 1B and 3B and pinch hit well.

This is redundant to what Brian Anderson Uribe do collectively. Mackowiak is a better hitter most likely (though lately he hasn't been), but as others have stated, he'd get too much playing time from Ozzie. He's too slow an OFer to have out there in the field. He'd be starting everyday the way Ozzie manages.

Optipessimism
06-09-2008, 09:53 AM
I'd love to see him back on a minor league contract as insurance. He's better than his numbers this year indicate.

oeo
06-09-2008, 09:57 AM
Is there a reason, yes and its our manager. As much as I love Ozzie he had a thing for GroundoutWIAK..

Because there was no one else to play.

I see Mackowiak was definitely underrated in his time here. Which is a shame because he would easily be our best pinch hitter, and would make our bench that more versatile if he were to come back.

This is redundant to what Brian Anderson Uribe do collectively. Mackowiak is a better hitter most likely (though lately he hasn't been), but as others have stated, he'd get too much playing time from Ozzie. He's too slow an OFer to have out there in the field. He'd be starting everyday the way Ozzie manages.

Then I guess our whole starting outfield is 'too slow' to play the OF. Mackowiak is faster than all three of them.

balke
06-09-2008, 10:06 AM
They are slow, but with 5 times Mack's power and all 3 are better fielders overall. Brian Anderson as a defensive substitute is way better than Mack.

balke
06-09-2008, 10:19 AM

I see Mackowiak was definitely underrated in his time here. Which is a shame because he would easily be our best pinch hitter, and would make our bench that more versatile if he were to come back.

Then I guess our whole starting outfield is 'too slow' to play the OF. Mackowiak is faster than all three of them.

They are slow, but with 5 times Mack's power and all 3 are better fielders overall. Brian Anderson as a defensive substitute is way better than Mack.

oeo
06-09-2008, 10:23 AM

What does power have to do with it? Mackowiak would not be starting (we actually have outfielders now). He would be fine in the corners if we needed a pinch hitter late in a game. He can also play the corners in the infield.

It's understandable that Anderson is a better defensive replacement. He's the best defensive outfielder we have...hell, he's probably one of the better ones in baseball. Mackowiak would not be entering a game for his defense, though.

Your blind dislike for the guy is not allowing you to see how much he would improve our bench. Cut Uribe, sign Mackowiak.

This would be win-win for us. We got a good reliever in Jon Link last year for him, who can contribute in the next year or two, and we end up getting Mackowiak back.

mccoydp
06-09-2008, 10:29 AM
He played some great CF for the Sox in 2006.

balke
06-09-2008, 10:34 AM
What does power have to do with it? Mackowiak would not be starting (we actually have outfielders now). He would be fine in the corners if we needed a pinch hitter late in a game. He can also play the corners in the infield.

It's understandable that Anderson is a better defensive replacement. He's the best defensive outfielder we have...hell, he's probably one of the better ones in baseball. Mackowiak would not be entering a game for his defense, though.

Your blind dislike for the guy is not allowing you to see how much he would improve our bench. Cut Uribe, sign Mackowiak.

This would be win-win for us. We got a good reliever in Jon Link last year for him, who can contribute in the next year or two, and we end up getting Mackowiak back.

I think your blind hate for Uribe is clogging everything. Mack isn't playing 2B, he's playing OF, and possibly 3rd. Ozuna is faster with a higher avg. and can hit lefties as well. Uribe is an excellent IFer defensively in case of injuries. There's no place for Mackowiak, he is outmatched by everyone on the bench in terms of overall play per position.

oeo
06-09-2008, 10:39 AM
I think your blind hate for Uribe is clogging everything. Mack isn't playing 2B, he's playing OF, and possibly 3rd. Ozuna is faster with a higher avg. and can hit lefties as well. Uribe is an excellent IFer defensively in case of injuries. There's no place for Mackowiak, he is outmatched by everyone on the bench in terms of overall play per position.

I don't have a 'blind hate' for Uribe. Mackowiak would just give us more options.

Again, Mackowiak would easily be our best pinch hitter. How exactly is that outmatched by everyone? We don't have anyone to come off the bench to pinch hit right now. And while Mackowiak may not be the best hitter around, he's still a hell of a lot better than what we've got on the bench right now.

If Uribe is such a problem for you to cut, then cut Ozuna...who is nothing more than a pinch runner at this point.

balke
06-09-2008, 10:45 AM
I don't have a 'blind hate' for Uribe. Mackowiak would just give us more options.

Again, Mackowiak would easily be our best pinch hitter. How exactly is that outmatched by everyone? We don't have anyone to come off the bench to pinch hit right now. And while Mackowiak may not be the best hitter around, he's still a hell of a lot better than what we've got on the bench right now.

If Uribe is such a problem for you to cut, then cut Ozuna...who is nothing more than a pinch runner at this point.

Ozuna and Anderson can pinch run and pinch hit.

Ozuna is a career .283 hitter. He hits lefties with a .300 avg. and can score from 1st on a double.

Mackowiak is a career .259 hitter who hits lefties at .244.

Irishsox1
06-09-2008, 10:48 AM
The only impressive thing that Mackowiak did for the Sox was attending game 2 of the 2005 World Series. Other than that, I can't remember him doing too much.

Tragg
06-09-2008, 10:54 AM
If we need a better bench bat, and I don't disagree with that notion, get a real bench bat...one who can drive the ball. Mack's had 2 bad years in a row and isn't a real run producer.

oeo
06-09-2008, 10:56 AM
Ozuna and Anderson can pinch run and pinch hit.

Ozuna is a career .283 hitter. He hits lefties with a .300 avg. and can score from 1st on a double.

Mackowiak is a career .259 hitter who hits lefties at .244.

Batting average isn't the only statistic to measure a hitter. Mackowiak also has more pop in his bat, and can actually work a count a take a walk.

And that's definitely a fair split. Mackowiak is a lefty...chances are he's not going to hit lefties as well.

Nine times out of ten, I'd take Mackowiak in a pinch hitting situation over Ozuna. Mackowiak will give himself a chance. Ozuna will swing at first or second pitch and hope something drops. That's not a very good approach, and it will hurt you more times than not.

PatK
06-09-2008, 10:57 AM
Mack had a rough smoke when he was here.

Really, he was nothing more than a utility guy and always has been for his career.

He came here and had to be a starter, and people expected him to play like one.

He's a good guy and a decent player off the bench, but we have no use for him now.

I think people's expecations for him were way too high.

balke
06-09-2008, 11:10 AM
Batting average isn't the only statistic to measure a hitter. Mackowiak also has more pop in his bat, and can actually work a count a take a walk.

And that's definitely a fair split. Mackowiak is a lefty...chances are he's not going to hit lefties as well.

Nine times out of ten, I'd take Mackowiak in a pinch hitting situation over Ozuna. Mackowiak will give himself a chance. Ozuna will swing at first or second pitch and hope something drops. That's not a very good approach, and it will hurt you more times than not.

Statistically, Ozuna has hit righties better than Mack as well. I'd rather have a guy who hits lefties, since Thome can't.

Why do the Sox want to replace one of the only guys with speed on the bench with a guy with more "pop" in his bat. There's not a single starter on this team that doesn't have more "pop" in their bats than Mackowiak. So why on earth would he be pinch hitting for them? His career slg% is .405 which is roughly 20 pts lower than Uribe's.

The only player he could replace is Anderson, and no thanks. I'd rather have a top notch CF option on the bench who has been hitting well as a pinch hitter this season, than Mackowiak who is pretty blah. I'd take him for the minors if he would be willing to hold out for an injury.

getonbckthr
06-09-2008, 01:45 PM

It should have been Anderson's spot all season.

btrain929
06-09-2008, 01:48 PM
Mack can replace Walker...

35th and Shields
06-09-2008, 03:08 PM
its also starting to look like jon link is becoming a pretty decent prospect. his era is right around 1.80 in AA

AzureJazzMan
06-10-2008, 04:36 PM
I would think that re-upping with the Pirates would be a great idea for him. That is where he played his best, and they could sure use him.

LITTLE NELL
06-10-2008, 04:52 PM
He did bat .290 for us but trotting him out to CF for much of the 2nd half of 06 was one of the worst moves by Sox management in the history of the franchise.

kba
06-11-2008, 01:13 PM
its also starting to look like jon link is becoming a pretty decent prospect. his era is right around 1.80 in AA

In addition to that 1.80 ERA, Link is 3-1 and leading the Southern League in saves. This could turn out to be very good trade for the Sox.

Link link (http://www.bdtonline.com/localsports/local_story_162230522.html)