PDA

View Full Version : Alexei

LITTLE NELL
06-08-2008, 01:24 PM
Along with Quentin this kid could be the biggest surprise of the year. The only thing Im sort of worried about is how skinny Alexi is. Im wondering if he can hold up for a whole MLB season. One thing that surprised me is that he's 6'3". He weighs 185, he looks like he could stand about 10 more lbs.

FedEx227
06-08-2008, 01:24 PM
Not too sure about this Alexi fellow... I'm pretty fond of Alexei, myself.

Sockinchisox
06-08-2008, 01:26 PM

That happens way too much, his name is pronounced Alexi so everyone writes it as that but it's spelled Alexei.

Sam Spade
Are you serious? Too skiny to hold up?

AnkleSox
One thing I love about Alexei is that it seems whenever anyone does anything positive he has a huge smile on his face. I think he genuinely enjoys the game and is very happy playing on the south side.

FedEx227
06-08-2008, 01:27 PM
That happens way too much, his name is pronounced Alexi so everyone writes it as that but it's spelled Alexei.

Yeah, I was guilty of it when we first acquired him, hell not until he started getting regular playing time did I notice the extra "E".

Btw, just thought I'd let ya know Jack got fired from GameCrazy for BS reasons so we're all leaving :(: ... sucks...

KenBerryGrab
06-08-2008, 01:30 PM
Un pelotero de note.

turners56
06-08-2008, 01:30 PM
They also said Soriano was too skinny to hold up...

Sam Spade
06-08-2008, 01:35 PM
Barry Bonds was about as skinny and he held up fine at that weight.

sox1970
06-08-2008, 01:37 PM

No, actually it's pronounced Alex-ay (long A).

kingpin_rcs
06-08-2008, 01:42 PM
Btw, just thought I'd let ya know Jack got fired from GameCrazy for BS reasons so we're all leaving :(: ... sucks...

Maybe you can all get a job at the Quick Stop and fill in for Dante. He's not even supposed to be there today.

Chicken Dinner
06-08-2008, 01:43 PM
:uribe:
I don't care for him!

jabrch
06-08-2008, 01:44 PM
Barry Bonds was about as skinny and he held up fine at that weight.

Same with Sosa...hmmmm

LITTLE NELL
06-08-2008, 01:44 PM
I did Google his name before I posted and every result showed the spelling as Alexi. The Sox website does spell it Alexei. I still want him to put on 10 lbs.

jabrch
06-08-2008, 02:15 PM
I'm glad Guillen proved me wrong. I hoped he'd get at least a few months in AAA to see more MLB-Like pitching. All he needed was a few months in the bigs to see real MLB pitching.

Great call by Guillen and Williams.

doublem23
06-08-2008, 02:30 PM

http://msn.foxsports.com/fe/img/MLB/Headshots/140x170/7484.jpg
That is pretty ridiculous.

doublem23
06-08-2008, 02:31 PM
I did Google his name before I posted and every result showed the spelling as Alexi. The Sox website does spell it Alexei. I still want him to put on 10 lbs.

I assure you it's Alexei (http://www.baseball-reference.com/r/ramiral03.shtml). Anyways, what a find by KW. What a find. If your farm system isn't going to bear fruit, go out and nab some international players. :cool:

jabrch
06-08-2008, 02:39 PM
I assure you it's Alexei (http://www.baseball-reference.com/r/ramiral03.shtml). Anyways, what a find by KW. What a find. If your farm system isn't going to bear fruit, go out and nab some international players. :cool:

If I recall correctly, manny argued that this couldn't be a good find since none of the other GMs felt he'd be worth much more than 1mm per for 5 years, or whatever the deal was.

I love WSI experts...

Huisj
06-08-2008, 02:40 PM

Sure, if you google "Alexi Ramirez", you're going to get results of things that have his name spelled Alexi. But take a look at what the first sites listed are:

prosportsdaily.com/forums
nfbcboards.stats.com
amazinz.com/forums
fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums

Not exactly the most well known sites, and it looks like most of those hits are coming from message boards on those sits. If it was the correct spelling, you'd see some more legitimate sites come up.

End of rant. sorry.

GlassSox
06-08-2008, 04:36 PM

Maybe we need a scout in Cuba. :cool:

Jerome
06-08-2008, 04:47 PM
he can really throw the glove around at SS and 2B

very impressive, great pickup by KW, I honestly didn't have big expectations for him other than him going down to AAA for most of this year and developing into (hopefully) our SS or 2B of the future.

October26
06-08-2008, 05:08 PM

Oh yes, I'm all for that. I will volunteer to serve as translator for the Sox Cuban scout. :cool:

Speaking of translators, I'd like to hear an interview with Alexei Ramirez via a translator (I know that Dotel and Ozzie Guillen Jr. have served as translators for Contreras in the past).

Wonder why it has taken the radio/tv folks so long to have Alexei on for an interview? Alexei has been playing out of his mind of late. Anyway, I'd like to hear from him and see what he thinks of playing in Chicago, of White Sox fans etc...

RockJock07
06-08-2008, 05:31 PM
For what we are getting from Alexei, the deal Kenny signed him looks like a flat out steal. This guy is probably better then Escobar in ATL and Betencourt in SEA, both Cubans defected.

I also heard, a 3B defected from the cuban national team, lets sign him and put him at AAA.

DickAllen72
06-08-2008, 05:56 PM
For what we are getting from Alexei, the deal Kenny signed him looks like a flat out steal. This guy is probably better then Escobar in ATL and Betencourt in SEA, both Cubans defected.

I also heard, a 3B defected from the cuban national team, lets sign him and put him at AAA.
Shortly after KW signed Alexei, a poster at another Sox message board who claims to be a White Sox scout said he projects to be another Omar Infante. :cool:

Tragg
06-08-2008, 05:58 PM
If I recall correctly, manny argued that this couldn't be a good find since none of the other GMs felt he'd be worth much more than 1mm per for 5 years, or whatever the deal was.

I love WSI experts...
I doubt anyone said that. A lot of people did say that Uribe should not be starting at 2B, however.

Chicken Dinner
06-08-2008, 05:59 PM

This guy should be available.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080608/us_nm/baseball_cuba_usa_dc_2

BoysMom3
06-08-2008, 06:37 PM
I wasn't so sure about Alexei at first, but he is playing out of his mind! I am loving him!!! Dare I say it - I've been loving Alexei and Carlos so much that I'm pretty much - Brian Who?!!!

Alexei rocks my socks/Sox. :D:

Stringer
06-08-2008, 06:44 PM
Our starting SS in 2009

:bandance::bandance::bandance:

GlassSox
06-08-2008, 06:54 PM
This guy should be available.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080608/us_nm/baseball_cuba_usa_dc_2

Every now and then it is good to be reminded how good we have it living in the USA.

Shoeless
06-08-2008, 07:29 PM
Dude's batting .295. Can't say enough, as Hawk said, best player we have. And for all these Soriano comparisons, i'm pretty sure Alexei will be a better fielder.

kninchicago
06-08-2008, 07:33 PM
This guy's learning curve is ridiculous. I'm a believer.

FedEx227
06-08-2008, 07:34 PM
Dude's batting .295. Can't say enough, as Hawk said, best player we have. And for all these Soriano comparisons, i'm pretty sure Alexei will be a better fielder.

That wouldn't be too lofty of a guess. He's already played better 2B then Soriano did.

Boondock Saint
I'm glad Guillen proved me wrong. I hoped he'd get at least a few months in AAA to see more MLB-Like pitching. All he needed was a few months in the bigs to see real MLB pitching.

Great call by Guillen and Williams.

Ditto. I remember that he looked absolutely LOST at the plate at the start of the season. He'd swing at everything as if it was a 98mph fastball, spinning like a top when he'd whiff. He looks like he's fully adjusted. This kid is special.

Elephant

Quality post.

Frater Perdurabo
06-08-2008, 08:14 PM
Is it too early to start thinking that it might be at least possible that he could compete for AL ROY?

Gerry
06-08-2008, 08:20 PM
Why does everyone seem to refer to Ramierez as a kid? Isn't he like 27 or 28? Besides that, he has been a whole lot of fun to watch. Just the adjustments he has made in the relatively short amount of time he has had have been unbelievable.

oeo
06-08-2008, 08:29 PM

Yeah, I don't understand this one.

Maybe if he was a pitcher...

soxfandy
06-08-2008, 09:25 PM
I'm loving Alexei....he is learning so fast its ridiculous. I say we go out and try to sign that 19 year old cuban that just came to the U.S. From what I read he sounds pretty special...anybody that can play pro ball in whatever country at the age of 15 hass to be special. We should just sign him to get him in our farm system and see how he performs. Time for Alexei to start the recruiting process!!

gogosox16
06-08-2008, 09:29 PM
I'm loving Alexei....he is learning so fast its ridiculous. I say we go out and try to sign that 19 year old cuban that just came to the U.S. From what I read he sounds pretty special...anybody that can play pro ball in whatever country at the age of 15 hass to be special. We should just sign him to get him in our farm system and see how he performs. Time for Alexei to start the recruiting process!!
That 19 year old cuban has the same agent as Alexei and Jose if I am not mistaken

soltrain21
06-08-2008, 10:14 PM
That 19 year old cuban has the same agent as Alexei and Jose if I am not mistaken

Can we start referring to them by their names? If not, I'm going to start referring to Nick Swisher as "the American."

gogosox16
06-08-2008, 10:15 PM
Can we start referring to them by their names? If not, I'm going to start referring to Nick Swisher as "the American."
Thats fine with me.:wink:

TheVulture
06-09-2008, 01:54 AM
I doubt anyone said that. A lot of people did say that Uribe should not be starting at 2B, however.
I remember it.

BoysMom3
06-09-2008, 06:09 AM
Like I said in the postgame thread, Alexei is helping ease my pain over Iguchi. I loved him, but I am loving Alexei so much too that it helps! Love that nonstop grin too.

About him being skinny - hey, we can be sure his dazzling baseball skills are not a result of steroids!

Pinar_del_Rio_WS
06-09-2008, 01:55 PM
Well, Itīs sure that the name is Alexei. If someona want to know any stats of the cuban baseball player, playing here (in cuba, I mean) you can check this:

http://www.beisbolcubano.cu/static/guiawebbeisbol/guiaweb.htm

Itīs the official guide to the cuban basebal. noitce that there is not the bird dates of the players, why????, who konws?

from havana, Cuba,

SAM

IJay22
06-09-2008, 05:36 PM
:uribe:
I don't care for him!

lmao! :D:

hi im skot
06-09-2008, 05:47 PM

Nah, he's a "'Merican"...

October26
06-10-2008, 08:32 AM
Well, Itīs sure that the name is Alexei. If someona want to know any stats of the cuban baseball player, playing here (in cuba, I mean) you can check this:

http://www.beisbolcubano.cu/static/guiawebbeisbol/guiaweb.htm

Itīs the official guide to the cuban basebal. noitce that there is not the bird dates of the players, why????, who konws?

from havana, Cuba,

SAM

Hello/Hola SAM, So glad that you visit us here on WSI. Thank you for posting the link but I could not open up the link to view the statistics. Can you tell us a little bit about baseball in Cuba today, for example, how long the baseball season lasts, how many teams there are, and what the competition is like? I think this will give us some more insight into the past experiences of both Jose Contreras and now Alexei Ramirez. I will check back for your post. Thank you.

Pinar_del_Rio_WS
06-10-2008, 01:52 PM
Hola October26, thanks again for ur words on our WS cuban players.

The baseball in Cuba now is organized in the national serie, here are 16 teams divided in two zones, east and west, each zone is also divided in two groups 4 teams each. they play 90 games in the regular season, each team plays 6 games against the other 15 teams (in fact itīs an all-against-all season).

To the Play Off season clasifies the winner of each group and the other two with best performance in each zone. Play a quarter finals in a best of 5 series in each zone, then a semifinals in a best of 7 series to obtain the each zone champion and the great final between the two zones champions in a best of 7 series also.

Itīs quite difficult to make any comparison even in the last few years with the same structure because the ball used have been different every year. one year made in china taipei, the other made in cuba, and in the last one they used the mizuno 150 from japan. so for example in the 2006 series (with the cuban ball) Alexei Ramirez was the HR champion with only 20 HRīs. In the 2007 series (with the japanese ball) the champion was Alexei Bell with 30 HRīs.

I think that the greatest differences between the MLB and the cuban baseball are in the pitching area (both in tactics and in the variety of pitches), in the general strategics of the game and in the strike zone, here the umpires have a narrow strike zone, so the pitchers have to come trough almost the center of the plate to get an strike called. So the batting average is greater in Cuba than in the MLB. And perhaps it helps to pur pitchers to be succesful in the MLB, because is easier for them when they realize that they can throw an strike in a zone more away from the batter than they did in cuba.

Well thats all for now, sorry by the link, I donīt know why it not works for U.

Any question that U have, please ask me about.

from havana, Cuba,

SAM

Metalthrasher442
06-11-2008, 01:32 PM
He's batting .300 now =] If he can finish his rookie season batting .300 that would be awesome. And hopefully prove that he will be leading off for the White Sox for many years to come.