PDA

View Full Version : Cubs Next Opposing Staffs

havelj
06-08-2008, 01:11 PM
Scheduled starters to face the Cubs in the next two weeks finishing up with the Sox at Wrigley:

Penny
Glavine, Jurrjens, Hudson
Burnett, Halladay, Litsch
Shields, Kazmir, Sonnanstine
Danks, Contreras, Vazquez

Note that crazy Zambrano is not scheduled to face the Sox in either series in Chicago. Too bad - wanted to see the lack of sky-pointing.

soxpride724
06-08-2008, 01:33 PM
Scheduled starters to face the Cubs in the next two weeks finishing up with the Sox at Wrigley:

Penny

Note that crazy Zambrano is not scheduled to face the Sox in either series in Chicago. Too bad - wanted to see the lack of sky-pointing.

Aww too bad, I wanted to see him bust up some coolers at the Cell...

hawkjt
06-08-2008, 01:34 PM
If the sox miss Big Z, I am fine with that. He has the best stuff on that staff and I would prefer to take my chances with Lilly,Gallagher,Marquis and ...dempster-altho he has been good also.
I will admit it...I am dreading the cubs series...they mash the ball,obviously and I fear the sox will use up all their pitchers trying to stay in the game.

turners56
06-08-2008, 01:38 PM

Penny

The Cubs aren't even #1 in runs scored anymore. Looks like it's time for a decline.

They're going to have a real tough time vs. Toronto, guaranteed.

I'm also pretty happy we won't face Zambrano. :).

turners56
06-08-2008, 01:39 PM
If the sox miss Big Z, I am fine with that. He has the best stuff on that staff and I would prefer to take my chances with Lilly,Gallagher,Marquis and ...dempster-altho he has been good also.
I will admit it...I am dreading the cubs series...they mash the ball,obviously and I fear the sox will use up all their pitchers trying to stay in the game.

They do mash the ball, but you know, with the pitching we have, it's going to be hard for them to do that.

TheOldRoman
06-08-2008, 01:50 PM
I will admit it...I am dreading the cubs series...they mash the ball,obviously and I fear the sox will use up all their pitchers trying to stay in the game.I don't think we will miss Zambrano. I think Lou will move the rotation around so we face him at least one. Well, at least Dusty would have. As for their offense, it is very Walkerball-ish. They can look like world beaters one night, but absolutely terrible the next.

I also hate playing the Cubs. The novelty of it was lost on October 26, 2005. It is meaningless, except for them. I went to two of the games in 06, but I won't go to them anymore. I am just eager to pound the Rockies and then then get back to the AL play.

champagne030
06-08-2008, 02:17 PM
I don't think we will miss Zambrano. I think Lou will move the rotation around so we face him at least one.

I agree. And I'm not all that upset. I'd rather face the "hard" throwing Fat Z and Dumpster than some "soft" tossing sacks of crap. The Flubs adjusted their rotation to face the D-Backs and they'll probably adjust it against us because thier 3-5 starters suck.

Cuck the Fubs
06-08-2008, 02:18 PM
They do mash the ball, but you know, with the pitching we have, it's going to be hard for them to do that.

Well said, I was always taught that good pitching beats good hitting.

I don't care how much hype is around the Cubs, the White Sox simply have a better staff.

turners56
06-08-2008, 02:24 PM

I don't care how much hype is around the Cubs, the White Sox simply have a better staff.

And the Cubs' pitching staff is mediocre outside of Dempster and Zambrano. Plus, Dempster is bound to start scuffling sometime soon.

Sockinchisox
06-08-2008, 02:27 PM
I'm looking forward to watching Doc vs the Cubs and the Cubs vs Rays series.

whitesox901
06-08-2008, 04:50 PM

I like the lingo from your tounge buddy

TommyGavinFloyd
06-08-2008, 05:05 PM
I'm looking forward to watching Doc vs the Cubs and the Cubs vs Rays series.

me too, that should be interesting. i know a lot of people don't seem to like interleague play but i do like to see the AL take it to the NL.

and matchups between the cubs/rays gave us the legendary sammy sosa corked bat moment, complete with steve stone questioning if it was a "mold spot" on the bat :D:

soxpride724
06-08-2008, 07:04 PM
I'm all for interleague play. Instead of playing the cubs six times every year, we should play entirely diffrent teams each year and rotate every couple of years. I get sick of the Cross Town Classic, don't get me wrong it's kinda cool, but every freakin year? Make it special like every three or five years ,etc.

PatK
06-08-2008, 07:10 PM
I'm all for interleague play. Instead of playing the cubs six times every year, we should play entirely diffrent teams each year and rotate every couple of years. I get sick of the Cross Town Classic, don't get me wrong it's kinda cool, but every freakin year? Make it special like every three or five years ,etc.

I think it's a shame we don't play Milwaukee.

Personally, the novelty of interleague has worn off for me due to the imbalanced schedules.

WSox597
06-08-2008, 07:24 PM
I'd also like to see the Sox play other teams rather than six games against the other team in town.

It would be way more interesting to me, and keep Cellular Field pretty much free of the other team's fans, who disgust me to no end.

I'd like to see the Sox play Atlanta, St. Louis, and the Mets once in a while.

PatK
06-08-2008, 07:30 PM
I'd also like to see the Sox play other teams rather than six games against the other team in town.

It would be way more interesting to me, and keep Cellular Field pretty much free of the other team's fans, who disgust me to no end.

I'd like to see the Sox play Atlanta, St. Louis, and the Mets once in a while.

I think the Sox/Cubs series brings out the WORST in both fanbases.

For me, it's not worth it to go to the games.

MrRoboto83
06-08-2008, 07:31 PM
I don't believe we have played Milwaukee since 2001, this is the longest out of any team. I miss playing our old rivals to the north.

Stringer
06-08-2008, 07:42 PM
I love playing the Cubs

I wouldn't mind playing the Cards or Met though

soxpride724
06-08-2008, 08:01 PM

I agree, and that is why I will not attend the Cross Town classic on either end of town.

ComiskeyBrewer
06-09-2008, 02:05 AM
I don't believe we have played Milwaukee since 2001, this is the longest out of any team. I miss playing our old rivals to the north.

Agreed, last year i was excited at the thought of the Brewers coming down to the south side, or having the Sox come up north. It's really been too long.

thedudeabides
06-09-2008, 02:27 AM

I am so sick of it. Attending those games is obnoxious. I don't even want to get into what someone said to my girlfriend last year. If they want interleague play, do it normally and get rid of this rival crap. It would mean more if they only played every couple of years. The novelty is gone.

And I will never go to another Sox/Cubs game unless it is the world series.

Boondock Saint
06-09-2008, 02:49 AM

Without a doubt. Most Sox or Cubs games feature a good mix of hardcore fans and casual fans looking for a "vacation" of sorts, with a smattering of your run of the mill jerkoff that ruins the game for everyone in the vicinity.

In my opinion, when the Sox and Cubs play each other, that balance shifts heavily. To start, Sox fans generally hate Cub fans (and vice-versa), creating a somewhat hostile atmosphere. The jerkoff fans from BOTH teams get together in one stadium, intensifying that atmosphere. And some of the casual fans get drawn into their moronic behavior, increasing their numbers further. So in general, the experience is more negative than positive.

SoxGirl4Life
06-09-2008, 08:33 AM
Lou said yesterday he's going to rearrange the rotation so that Z, lilly and Dempster get more starts. He wants them to get 7 more starts before the all-star break.

I think he's a little concerned of the pitching he's going to face in the Toronto, Rays and Sox series.

Jaffar
06-09-2008, 10:38 AM
Lou said yesterday he's going to rearrange the rotation so that Z, lilly and Dempster get more starts. He wants them to get 7 more starts before the all-star break.

I heard this last night and was going to post about it.

I think he's a little concerned of the pitching he's going to face in the Toronto, Rays and Sox series.

He should be.

PatK
06-09-2008, 10:51 AM
I am so sick of it. Attending those games is obnoxious. I don't even want to get into what someone said to my girlfriend last year.

That's why I stopped attending the games after 2001.

My girlfriend and her one son are Cubs fans, and me and her other two sons are Sox fans.

I couldn't believe the venom that was spit at us, mostly by Cubs fans. And it only got worse when we left the game after the Sox left.

I find it hard to believe what people will say in front of and to children.

MCHSoxFan
06-09-2008, 11:10 AM

YEEESSS!!! To ALL of that and what the original poster said!

Foulke You
06-09-2008, 12:00 PM
Without a doubt. Most Sox or Cubs games feature a good mix of hardcore fans and casual fans looking for a "vacation" of sorts, with a smattering of your run of the mill jerkoff that ruins the game for everyone in the vicinity.

In my opinion, when the Sox and Cubs play each other, that balance shifts heavily. To start, Sox fans generally hate Cub fans (and vice-versa), creating a somewhat hostile atmosphere. The jerkoff fans from BOTH teams get together in one stadium, intensifying that atmosphere. And some of the casual fans get drawn into their moronic behavior, increasing their numbers further. So in general, the experience is more negative than positive.
I happen to enjoy going to the crosstown series. As long as you ignore the occasional fan antics, you can't argue that the games are some of the most exciting of the year. The atmosphere is about as close to playoffs as you can get and the games always seem to go down to the final innings. It's games like these that make baseball the greatest game to watch. There have been a lot of memorable moments (good and bad) that are etched in my mind from past crosstown series. Carlos Lee's walkoff, Valentin's Sosa love taps, Mark Grace getting picked off by Sean Lowe, Mike Caruso's basket shot, Damaso Marte's choke pitch on July 4, 2004, Ricky Gutierrez's spikes high slide into Royce Clayton followed by Singleton's spikes high slide retaliation, Konerko's 2 HRs to complete a comeback from being down 8-0, Miguel Olivo's 1st inning grand slam off of Sean Estes at Wrigley, AJ/Barrett fiasco followed by Iguchi's slam, AJ's "take that" HR off of Dempster in '06, Lou Pinella's Squeeze bunt in '07, etc. etc. I'm sure I'm missing about a half dozen more moments from there. Sorry, guys but Sox vs. Cards or Sox vs. Padres just won't produce as many memorable moments like those.

ZombieRob
06-09-2008, 12:11 PM
Still the Cubs luck out again. No chipper Jones for at least 2 games. And the Cubs the last 2 years have torched Glavine.

soxfan13
06-09-2008, 12:27 PM
I happen to enjoy going to the crosstown series. As long as you ignore the occasional fan antics, you can't argue that the games are some of the most exciting of the year. The atmosphere is about as close to playoffs as you can get and the games always seem to go down to the final innings. It's games like these that make baseball the greatest game to watch. There have been a lot of memorable moments (good and bad) that are etched in my mind from past crosstown series. Carlos Lee's walkoff, Valentin's Sosa love taps, Mark Grace getting picked off by Sean Lowe, Mike Caruso's basket shot, Damaso Marte's choke pitch on July 4, 2004, Ricky Gutierrez's spikes high slide into Royce Clayton followed by Singleton's spikes high slide retaliation, Konerko's 2 HRs to complete a comeback from being down 8-0, Miguel Olivo's 1st inning grand slam off of Sean Estes at Wrigley, AJ/Barrett fiasco followed by Iguchi's slam, AJ's "take that" HR off of Dempster in '06, Lou Pinella's Squeeze bunt in '07, etc. etc. I'm sure I'm missing about a half dozen more moments from there. Sorry, guys but Sox vs. Cards or Sox vs. Padres just won't produce as many memorable moments like those.

Agree with you, I go to the Saturday game every year with my wife. We enjoy the whole day tailgate , game and after game bar. More then a few times I have brought friends that are Cub fans and have never had any issues.

Jerko
06-09-2008, 12:33 PM
Still the Cubs luck out again. No chipper Jones for at least 2 games. And the Cubs the last 2 years have torched Glavine.

Except for his 300th win! I must admit, when Jones got hurt I said to myself "I bet they play the Cubs next". Oh well, we missed Punto this series so we can't talk.

cws05champ
06-09-2008, 01:09 PM
Except for his 300th win! I must admit, when Jones got hurt I said to myself "I bet they play the Cubs next". Oh well, we missed Punto this series so we can't talk.
Punto = Chipper Jones?

A guy that is hitting over .400 and going for the triple crown is the same as a back up IF who has 59 AB's, 0 HR and 8 RBI?

turners56
06-09-2008, 01:12 PM

Lol yes, Nick Punto is the equivalent of a hitter hitting .418.

North Sox Sider
06-09-2008, 02:17 PM

I couldnt agree more. I have been to many of those games you mentioned and it is by far the most fun weekends of the year. I really love giving crap to the cub fans and it is just an awesome atmosphere. Of course you do have the usual knuckleheads there who try to spoil it for everyone but you just have to do your best and ignore those fools. The one thing I would never do is take a child to these games, that is for sure.

JB98
06-10-2008, 11:00 PM
I don't think we will miss Zambrano. I think Lou will move the rotation around so we face him at least one. Well, at least Dusty would have. As for their offense, it is very Walkerball-ish. They can look like world beaters one night, but absolutely terrible the next.

Just saw Gordon Wittenmyer's Cubs in Brief story for tonight. Lou is juggling the rotation, and Zambrano will pitch 6/22 and 6/27 against the Sox.

chisoxmike
06-10-2008, 11:06 PM

Completely agree. If you can't handle it, don't go. I love going to the games. It's a shame I'll be gone the weekend they play it at Sox Park. I have tickets for the Friday game. :(:

Regardless if the teams are in last place or not, the games usually serve as memorable moments for seasons that don't have many highlights.

It doesn't matter if you don't like the Sox/Cubs series or not, they're still games you got to win.

scarsofthumper
06-11-2008, 12:44 AM
I would have loved to see Zambrano vs. Floyd.

Although this will make my gf happy since she "hates Z with a ****ing passion"

Jerko
06-11-2008, 09:20 AM
Lol yes, Nick Punto is the equivalent of a hitter hitting .418.

Boy o boy I'll never not use teal again.

chisoxfanatic
06-11-2008, 10:16 AM
I'll be at that game on the 27th. Hopefully our bats bring out a big can of whoop-ass for Z.

kittle42
06-11-2008, 10:53 AM

I know. Some people are amazingly sarcasm-impaired. How do people get by in day-to-day communications?

kittle42
06-11-2008, 10:54 AM
I'll be at that game on the 27th. Hopefully our bats bring out a big can of whoop-ass for Z.

Anybody got that photo of Z we all love when he was yanked at the Cell?

btrain929
06-11-2008, 11:00 AM

I haven't seen that in a year. Classic picture. Please, someone, put it up! :bandance:

SoxGirl4Life
06-11-2008, 11:01 AM

I have one on my home computer, but I think its at Wrigley. I'll post it later tonight

1908<2005
06-11-2008, 06:45 PM
Wow the Cubs miss another pitcher tonight. And Pujols is out for 3 weeks as well.

turners56
06-11-2008, 06:49 PM

Maybe I should of tealed as well. I had sarcasm in there as well with the "lol" and the "yes".

SoxGirl4Life
06-11-2008, 07:07 PM

Here's one. Is this what you're talking about?

gosox41
06-12-2008, 10:07 PM
I don't think we will miss Zambrano. I think Lou will move the rotation around so we face him at least one. Well, at least Dusty would have. As for their offense, it is very Walkerball-ish. They can look like world beaters one night, but absolutely terrible the next.

I also hate playing the Cubs. The novelty of it was lost on October 26, 2005. It is meaningless, except for them. I went to two of the games in 06, but I won't go to them anymore. I am just eager to pound the Rockies and then then get back to the AL play.

If Lou does that, hopefully he'll also leave Zambrano in the game to throw 130 pitches. I remember Dusty did that one year and I got into a huge argument with a Cub fan at the game. he thought I was rooting for injury. I wasn't (really), I was rooting for him to burn his best pitchers out on 90 degree days so they wouldn't be as effective later on.

Bob

Bob