PDA

View Full Version : The Sporting News Sox Story

Lip Man 1
06-07-2008, 10:11 PM
Another good Quentin story this week in the print edition of The Sporting News.

It's on page 38 this week (Jets are on the cover.)

Sean Devaney writes the Quentin deal was the steal of the season (The Phillies getting Lidge checks in at #2). He called it "an utterly lopsided off season deal."

On the next page they also talk about the credit Williams should get for paying to get Linebrink and Dotel.

Lip

BoysMom3
06-07-2008, 10:17 PM
I just can't say enough about how much I am loving TCQ. Alexei is right up there lately too.

chisox77
06-07-2008, 10:21 PM
KW, with all of the criticism he got during the winter meetings, may end up having one of the best offseasons any GM has had lately.

:cool:

oeo
06-07-2008, 10:44 PM
On the next page they also talk about the credit Williams should get for paying to get Linebrink and Dotel.

I didn't read the article, so maybe this was mentioned, but I'd say he deserves the most credit for believing in Danks and Floyd. Trading Garland was a risky move, but it appears he knew what he was doing.

sox1970
06-07-2008, 10:50 PM
I didn't read the article, so maybe this was mentioned, but I'd say he deserves the most credit for believing in Danks and Floyd. Trading Garland was a risky move, but it appears he knew what he was doing.

Garland is pitching a gem tonight. Hope to see the Sox face him in October.

Vernam
06-07-2008, 10:51 PM
Firing on all cylinders, and it couldn't have come at a better time. Very encouraging performance by Buehrle. So much for the latest rumors that he has a sore arm. He saved the 'pen tonight.

Crede with four homers in two games? And somehow that's less improbable than Konerko's triple.

Don't want to jinx it, but these series against the Twins are way less intimidating without Santana in their rotation. Not to mention the 2006 Liriano.

Vernam

voodoochile
06-07-2008, 11:07 PM
KW, with all of the criticism he got during the winter meetings, may end up having one of the best offseasons any GM has had lately.

:cool:

Yeah, all those ranting posters look pretty freaking silly now don't they?

jabrch
06-07-2008, 11:13 PM

STILL...

They looked silly then and they look silly now. This was and is a skilled management team and a good baseball club regardless of what anyone says.

cws05champ
06-07-2008, 11:14 PM
When the Sox are up 3 games to none on the Angels in the ALCS.

tebman
06-08-2008, 12:00 AM
Firing on all cylinders, and it couldn't have come at a better time. Very encouraging performance by Buehrle. So much for the latest rumors that he has a sore arm. He saved the 'pen tonight.

Seeing Buehrle back in form is the best part of the night. If he's back on his game this is really gonna be fun. :gulp:

Best pitching in MLB, batters heating up, it's all good.

Vernam
06-08-2008, 12:53 AM
Seeing Buehrle back in form is the best part of the night. If he's back on his game this is really gonna be fun. :gulp:

Best pitching in MLB, batters heating up, it's all good.I was actually trying to post in the post-game thread, so go figure. :redface: I'm stone cold sober, too. :scratch: :D:

Vernam

fquaye149
06-08-2008, 10:08 AM

STILL...

They looked silly then and they look silly now. This was and is a skilled management team and a good baseball club regardless of what anyone says.

:rolleyes:

Gloating and I told you so isn't any less lame when it's because of positive news on June 12th than when it's because of negative news on June 12th

Whitesox029
06-08-2008, 12:08 PM
I don't want to face the Angels in the playoffs this time around. They scare me this year. I think they are going to finish with the best record in baseball.

TheOldRoman
06-08-2008, 01:29 PM
:rolleyes:

Gloating and I told you so isn't any less lame when it's because of positive news on June 12th than when it's because of negative news on June 12thBull****. You said it yourself. Kenny should be judged on the moves he made. Getting Swisher was a good move at the time, regardless of whether or not he hits .200 for the season (and obviously he wont). Getting Quentin for an A-baller was a great move. Adding Linebrink and Dotel filled a huge hole from the 07 team. Besides, Carlos isn't doing anything now that anyone in baseball thought he couldn't. When healthy (and he is still not 100%) he has the ability to have monster seasons like he has been this year. Kenny had a good offseason.

fquaye149
06-08-2008, 02:21 PM
Bull****. You said it yourself. Kenny should be judged on the moves he made. Getting Swisher was a good move at the time, regardless of whether or not he hits .200 for the season (and obviously he wont). Getting Quentin for an A-baller was a great move. Adding Linebrink and Dotel filled a huge hole from the 07 team. Besides, Carlos isn't doing anything now that anyone in baseball thought he couldn't. When healthy (and he is still not 100%) he has the ability to have monster seasons like he has been this year. Kenny had a good offseason.

It's June.

I said at the time that getting Quentin and getting Swisher were good moves at the time. That's been half true, but let's revisit in three months.

I said at the time that I liked Linebrink and Dotel for this year, but that the money might come back to haunt us down the road. Let's revisit that in three months (if we win the WS who cares about paying Linebrink too much in 3 years) and then down the road.

I said at the time that Torii and Rowand went for too much and that Jones looked like a decent deal at 36 over two. I look like an idiot now. Let's revisit those in 3 months.

I said Kenny made a good decision staying in the system for a CF, but that BA should have been playing CF. I look sort of right about that but not overwhelmingly so. Let's revisit that in three months.

I said I wasn't optimistic about relying on Floyd, Danks, and Contreras as starters. Looks like I was wrong on that. Let's revisit it in three months.

It's way too early in the year to act like anyone "told ya so"

It's just as stupid for Jabrch and VC to be crowing "told ya so dark clouds" as it is for Munchman to say "told ya so Swisher backers" or for me to say "Told ya so, anyone who thinks PK isn't a worthless ****head"

voodoochile
06-08-2008, 04:18 PM
It's June.

I said at the time that getting Quentin and getting Swisher were good moves at the time. That's been half true, but let's revisit in three months.

I said at the time that I liked Linebrink and Dotel for this year, but that the money might come back to haunt us down the road. Let's revisit that in three months (if we win the WS who cares about paying Linebrink too much in 3 years) and then down the road.

I said at the time that Torii and Rowand went for too much and that Jones looked like a decent deal at 36 over two. I look like an idiot now. Let's revisit those in 3 months.

I said Kenny made a good decision staying in the system for a CF, but that BA should have been playing CF. I look sort of right about that but not overwhelmingly so. Let's revisit that in three months.

I said I wasn't optimistic about relying on Floyd, Danks, and Contreras as starters. Looks like I was wrong on that. Let's revisit it in three months.

It's way too early in the year to act like anyone "told ya so"

It's just as stupid for Jabrch and VC to be crowing "told ya so dark clouds" as it is for Munchman to say "told ya so Swisher backers" or for me to say "Told ya so, anyone who thinks PK isn't a worthless ****head"

Hold on...

I'm not crowing over every negative perception, but compared to the naysayers from last December who were screaming "dommed until 2010 and beyond" we certainly have some kind of leg to stand on. No, the season isn't over, far from it, but the Sox are far from the slugs so many thought they would be even after making all of the changes (yours not included, you at least admitted the moves held promise).

I do find your last paragraph extra amusing even more so given another double by PK and a 3-run jack by Swisher already today.

But keep defending the Debby Downers on this site, it always is good for a chuckle...

fquaye149
06-08-2008, 08:46 PM
Hold on...

I'm not crowing over every negative perception, but compared to the naysayers from last December who were screaming "dommed until 2010 and beyond" we certainly have some kind of leg to stand on. No, the season isn't over, far from it, but the Sox are far from the slugs so many thought they would be even after making all of the changes (yours not included, you at least admitted the moves held promise).

I do find your last paragraph extra amusing even more so given another double by PK and a 3-run jack by Swisher already today.

But keep defending the Debby Downers on this site, it always is good for a chuckle...

But here's the thing: I didn't think this season held promise.

I was excited to watch Swisher, Quentin, Fields (:shrug:), Richar (:shrug:), Ramirez, Danks, and Floyd look good, but I didn't think we had a chance for 2nd and I was kind of disappointed we didn't build for 2009.

Now it looks like we could make the playoffs, and I couldn't be happier with our pitching.

But here's the thing: It's still June :shrug:

balke
06-08-2008, 09:20 PM
But here's the thing: I didn't think this season held promise.

I was excited to watch Swisher, Quentin, Fields (:shrug:), Richar (:shrug:), Ramirez, Danks, and Floyd look good, but I didn't think we had a chance for 2nd and I was kind of disappointed we didn't build for 2009.

Now it looks like we could make the playoffs, and I couldn't be happier with our pitching.

But here's the thing: It's still June :shrug:

I thought the Sox had a shot at 97 wins if everything clicked :tongue:

I'm starting to get cocky though with the Tigers and Indians nursing injuries. It looks like a stroll to the playoffs right now in my eyes. Looks like the Sox are racing the Twins... whom they are clobbering.

sox1970
06-08-2008, 09:29 PM
I thought the Sox had a shot at 97 wins if everything clicked :tongue:

I'm starting to get cocky though with the Tigers and Indians nursing injuries. It looks like a stroll to the playoffs right now in my eyes. Looks like the Sox are racing the Twins... whom they are clobbering.

The Sox go 55-45, they're in. After interleague play is done in a few weeks, we'll have a better idea of the number needed.

soxfanreggie
06-08-2008, 11:32 PM
Back to the story at hand, I am really proud of Carlos so far this season. He truly has been the "steal of the year" so far.