PDA

View Full Version : Nationals Park Review

TomC727
06-07-2008, 07:19 PM
Went to see a game there on the 3rd against the Cardinals. Beautiful stadium, great field views. Good food, had an Italian sausage sandwich, good stuff.

One complaint:
The game I was at was the 2.5 hour rain delay game. Stayed for the whole thing, but the field drainage system and grounds crew was extremely poor.

Roger Bossard is a GOD compared to what I saw. Because the field is below street level, drainage is horrible. It took the grounds crew a good 30-45 minutes to get the field ready because they had to push the water into the drains at the lip of the grass at the 2B position. White Sox park's grass near the infield drains all the water after the tarp is taken off in 10 minutes at most.

Also, the grounds crew staff seemed very disorganized.

Conclusion:

Great park, very nice stadium, great food, but poor field drainage and grounds crew.

Having Roger definately spoils you at a White Sox game after a long rain delay.

DSpivack
06-07-2008, 10:32 PM
Went to one game in April and did a doubleheader thursday. Certainly an enjoyable new park (and it has Ben's Chili Bowl!), and I don't have really anything bad to say about it, but no real wow factor. The one thing I thought was very cool that I've never seen in any other park is that the upper deck has a wraparound open concourse, the best part of which is right behind home plate is an open little plaza, one of the best places to just stand and watch a game that I've seen.

NDSox12
06-07-2008, 10:45 PM
Went to see a game there on the 3rd against the Cardinals. Beautiful stadium, great field views. Good food, had an Italian sausage sandwich, good stuff.

One complaint:
The game I was at was the 2.5 hour rain delay game. Stayed for the whole thing, but the field drainage system and grounds crew was extremely poor.

I was at that game too. I took off as soon as the rain delay started though, so I can't comment about your grounds crew comments. It doesn't surprise me after seeing them in action at RFK the last couple years.

I'm a little biased being a Nationals partial season ticket holder, but I am very pleased with the park. It has everything I want from a park, except for a quality team. If they can work on that, they just might have something.

soxpride724
06-08-2008, 12:50 PM
I thought it was a nice park overall. The atmosphere was kinda weird though, it seemed kinda minor leauge. The food is nothing special and concessions are a bit pricey, but so is everything else in Washington D.C. The game I saw was against the Pirates, and by the 5th or 6th inning the stadium lights started to flicker and then a few of them went out causing the game to be delayed about 45 minutes before I said forget it and left.

RadioheadRocks
06-10-2008, 04:44 AM
Was there this past Thursday night, saw the regularly scheduled Cards-Nats game (they also played a makeup game earlier from the rainout the night before). Nice park, but the one complaint I had is that I had my tickets set for Will Call and none of the ticket windows were labeled or had signs (they had those light-up signs above each window but none of them were on), so after doing a lap around the outside of the park I figured the Will Call window was near the home plate gate. I ended up standing in line about 20 minutes behind some clown who had 6 or 7 people he wanted to have sit together (30 minutes before the game) and kept bitching about where the seats were located, ultimately asking for a supervisor. I ended up moving to the next line which went pretty quick, however the person at the ticket window told me the Will Call was actually located near the left field entrance. After telling her I had gone all around the park and none of the windows were marked she told me she could have my tickets if I gave her my credit card. She ran the card and told me she couldn't locate my ticket. I had my printout from the website with me (with the confirmation number) and she still wasn't finding the ticket. Ultimately another supervisor came up, ran my card and lo and behold... he found my ticket right away and printed it for me. Based on that and the situation I got stuck behind while in the other line, I'm thinking their ticket window employees are in serious need of recurrent training. Aside from that I enjoyed the game... Nats leading most of the way, Cards tying it with a home run with two outs in the 9th, and the Nats coming back to win it with a homer of their own in the bottom of the 10th.

Jollyroger2
06-10-2008, 09:38 AM
I thought it was a nice park overall. The atmosphere was kinda weird though, it seemed kinda minor leauge. The food is nothing special and concessions are a bit pricey, but so is everything else in Washington D.C. The game I saw was against the Pirates, and by the 5th or 6th inning the stadium lights started to flicker and then a few of them went out causing the game to be delayed about 45 minutes before I said forget it and left.

That's the impression I got to. I'm in Va and finally made it over there recently, and it really does feel like a minor league operation. The stadium was just so-so, the food lines still chaotic and manned with substandard employees (just like at RFK Stadium) and the on field product was really awful. The Nationals are terrible and they play like they don't give a squat. They make errors, don't play hard, and have a truly terrible lineup. I'll be suprised if they draw any kind of crowds to that stadium come the dog days of summer and that team is 20 games out of first.

soxpride724
06-10-2008, 11:34 AM
That's the impression I got to. I'm in Va and finally made it over there recently, and it really does feel like a minor league operation. The stadium was just so-so, the food lines still chaotic and manned with substandard employees (just like at RFK Stadium) and the on field product was really awful. The Nationals are terrible and they play like they don't give a squat. They make errors, don't play hard, and have a truly terrible lineup. I'll be suprised if they draw any kind of crowds to that stadium come the dog days of summer and that team is 20 games out of first.

What gets me is the higher than national average ticket prices. I guess you have to pay for your new stadium somehow, but way overpriced IMO. What's the deal with the protective screens in the upper deck? I couldn't tell if I was at a hockey game or a baseball game (I was in the first row).