PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Cellular Field food reviewed in today's NYT

SouthSideSoxFan
06-07-2008, 07:49 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/08/travel/08baseball.html

Mod edit: What part of not quoting any portion of copyrighted material do you not understand? What part of a minimum one week rip for doing so do you not understand? Looks like you'll have a week to figure it out.

Evman5
06-07-2008, 08:02 AM
Nooooo...the elotes is my favorite food at the cell! This dude must have just got a bad batch.

Palehose Pete
06-07-2008, 08:42 AM
I think that Comiskey should include local beers in its offering. I'm not even talking about the smaller ones, like 3 Floyds or Two Brothers. Why not get some Goose Island? Seems like an easy way to expand the park's offerings.

:gulp:

Max Power
06-07-2008, 09:16 AM
I think that Comiskey should include local beers in its offering. I'm not even talking about the smaller ones, like 3 Floyds or Two Brothers. Why not get some Goose Island? Seems like an easy way to expand the park's offerings.

Good call.

The article says a large cup of Miller Lite at Dodger Stadium is $12.25. Whoa...

35th&Shields
06-07-2008, 09:48 AM

The fine folks at Miller might have something to say about that. Then again, there is the "Beers of the World" stand in left field. Why not add some Goose Islands and other microbrews to that stand? I agree with you 100%.

Mr.Creosote
06-07-2008, 10:42 AM
The fine folks at Miller might have something to say about that. Then again, there is the "Beers of the World" stand in left field. Why not add some Goose Islands and other microbrews to that stand? I agree with you 100%.

I'm pretty sure you already can get a Honker's Ale or 312 there. That's where Mrs."Sote goes to get a beer every game.

The folks at Miller don't have anything to do with beer availability. It's the liquor distributors in Illinois that have a vise-like grip on choice. At Comerica you can get about twelve different kinds of beer...all within a few stands of wherever your seat is. Michigan must do it different than Illinois.

Oh... and in '06 it cost $8.50 a beer there! I'm going to the July 27th game (against the Sox) so we'll see how much it's gone up.

skobabe8
06-07-2008, 11:48 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/08/travel/08baseball.html

Mod edit: What part of not quoting any portion of copyrighted material do you not understand? What part of a minimum one week rip for doing so do you not understand? Looks like you'll have a week to figure it out.

What a complete asshat! Check out the interactive section showing pictures of what to get and what to avoid at each stadium. There is 1 place he went to IN ALL OF BASEBALL that he said 'TRY NOTHING' and 'AVOID EVERYTHING'. Guess which one?????? And no pictures! *****. :rolleyes:

By the way, genius, you are using out of date logos from 4 frickin teams. Including the late 90's Astros logo. Get a ****ing clue.

DSpivack
06-07-2008, 11:55 AM
What a complete asshat! Check out the interactive section showing pictures of what to get and what to avoid at each stadium. There is 1 place he went to IN ALL OF BASEBALL that he said 'TRY NOTHING' and 'AVOID EVERYTHING'. Guess which one?????? And no pictures! *****. :rolleyes:

By the way, genius, you are using out of date logos from 4 frickin teams. Including the late 90's Astros logo. Get a ****ing clue.

The graphics and slideshow are not done by the writer of the article.

EDIT: Nevermind, he wrote that part, too.

Frankfan4life
06-07-2008, 12:36 PM
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I'd like to see some more creative food offerings at The Cell. Perhaps, we could encourage some local restaurants to open food booths just to provide some more variety.

skobabe8
06-07-2008, 02:05 PM
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I'd like to see some more creative food offerings at The Cell. Perhaps, we could encourage some local restaurants to open food booths just to provide some more variety.

Agreed. There needs to be more authentic offerings and some specialty stands run by local favorites. I always thought a new patio/deck in right field, or an expanded fan deck could house some great food stands.

rocky biddle
06-07-2008, 02:11 PM
Doesn't Wrigley serve Hebrew National hotdogs? I thought they did.

TomBradley72
06-07-2008, 02:22 PM

I agree...could be more a permanent "Taste of Chicago". I think overall the quality and variety of the food at the Cell is on the decline.

thomas35forever
06-07-2008, 04:21 PM
Best Kosher inferior to Vienna Beef? Seriously? Did this guy even have a Kosher dog when he went to Comiskey?

rocky biddle
06-07-2008, 04:42 PM
This guy obviously didn't have a churro. His whole world would've been turned upside down.

Those Chuck Norris jokes (http://www.chucknorrisfacts.com/page1.html) should've been done about churros.

If you ask a churro what time it is, it always says, "Two seconds 'til." After you ask, "Two seconds 'til what?" it roundhouse kicks you in the face.

PatK
06-07-2008, 04:44 PM
More high brow snobbery from the NYT.

The fact that the author totally dissed the elotes is telling.

Law11
06-07-2008, 04:53 PM
Doesn't Wrigley serve Hebrew National hotdogs? I thought they did.

They switched over the Bests Kosher last year.

chisoxfanatic
06-07-2008, 04:58 PM
More high brow snobbery from the NYT.

The fact that the author totally dissed the elotes is telling.

The guy states he is originally from Chicago in the article. Clearly he is a Cubs fan.

soxtalker
06-07-2008, 07:08 PM
Nice article. Very disappointed that the Cell did so poorly, but I would hope that such articles would prompt the Sox to get a bit more creative. Sox park always seemed to have great food, but that's in comparison with Wrigley Field. Even though the author had something nice to say about the Cubs offerings, it wasn't exactly stunning in comparison with the rest of baseball. There's evidently been a lot of improvement in the other parks around MLB. No reason that the Sox can't take some of those ideas and put them in the Cell.

chisoxfanatic
06-07-2008, 07:25 PM
The Stadium Club Restaurant has top-notch eats...I can't wait to eat there again for dinner on the 17th. I'd say my only beef with the concourse eats is that most of the people behind the counter seem to work slowly, even if they see a huge line. Fortunately most counters have TVs by them so we don't have to miss a pitch.

Palehose Pete
06-07-2008, 07:28 PM
I'm pretty sure you already can get a Honker's Ale or 312 there. That's where Mrs."Sote goes to get a beer every game.

I don't think so. Maybe a couple of years ago at the Beers of the World tent you could find a Goose Summertime or a 312, but now... meh.

Local beers would be cool because Chicago is actually a great beer town. So many local offerings, yet so little presence at sports destinations. Oh well. I have mine.:gulp:

MetroPD
06-07-2008, 08:11 PM
:bandance:

DSpivack
06-07-2008, 10:15 PM
Nice article. Very disappointed that the Cell did so poorly, but I would hope that such articles would prompt the Sox to get a bit more creative. Sox park always seemed to have great food, but that's in comparison with Wrigley Field. Even though the author had something nice to say about the Cubs offerings, it wasn't exactly stunning in comparison with the rest of baseball. There's evidently been a lot of improvement in the other parks around MLB. No reason that the Sox can't take some of those ideas and put them in the Cell.

I don't have a doubt that this guy has some kind of irrational hatred of the White Sox as a Cub fan. The interactive section offers one good and one bad item for every ballpark in baseball, nothing wrong with that. With one exception; he says there is nothing good at USCF and everything is to be avoided. That's just asinine.

Frontman
06-07-2008, 10:27 PM
This guy is just smoking something. The ballpark food at USCF is some of the best! Sure, you can get a bad batch of anything; but that can happen anywhere.

I love the brat. Gimme some onions. Load up a box of popcorn for me (love that from being a kid. The old "bullhorn" servers.) Give me a brew; and give me a good game.

MERCY!

Sockinchisox
06-07-2008, 10:42 PM
The Stadium Club Restaurant has top-notch eats...I can't wait to eat there again for dinner on the 17th. I'd say my only beef with the concourse eats is that most of the people behind the counter seem to work slowly, even if they see a huge line. Fortunately most counters have TVs by them so we don't have to miss a pitch.

Seconded, the Stadium Club has some good food, the baked cookie dessert is one of the best desserts I've ever had.

itsnotrequired
06-07-2008, 11:17 PM
I'd say my only beef with the concourse eats is that most of the people behind the counter seem to work slowly, even if they see a huge line. Fortunately most counters have TVs by them so we don't have to miss a pitch.

Minimum wage pay, ftl.

:bandance:

:rolleyes:

ChiSoxGirl
06-07-2008, 11:34 PM

Tonight was the first time I went to the Stadium Club Restaurant to eat (I've eaten in the bar area before) and I was very impressed! There was an enormous selection of food, and everything I tried was delicious! :thumbsup:

chisoxfanatic
06-07-2008, 11:42 PM
Tonight was the first time I went to the Stadium Club Restaurant to eat (I've eaten in the bar area before) and I was very impressed! There was an enormous selection of food, and everything I tried was delicious! :thumbsup:

No doubt! The dessert section is completely orgasmic, and you truly don't try hard enough if you walk out of that place hungry. I've eaten there about 15 or so times, and you always seem to see something new each time. It's nice that you can see the field so easily...the view is stunning!

ChiSoxGirl
06-08-2008, 12:00 AM
No doubt! The dessert section is completely orgasmic, and you truly don't try hard enough if you walk out of that place hungry. I've eaten there about 15 or so times, and you always seem to see something new each time. It's nice that you can see the field so easily...the view is stunning!

:?: The only dessert section I saw was at the Kiddie buffet, and that was only fruit. Our waiter gave us a dessert menu where we could've bought something, but we passed because we were just too full.

DumpJerry
06-08-2008, 12:08 AM
:o: TMI!!!!!

chisoxfanatic
06-08-2008, 12:40 AM
:?: The only dessert section I saw was at the Kiddie buffet, and that was only fruit. Our waiter gave us a dessert menu where we could've bought something, but we passed because we were just too full.

I meant to say "dessert section of the menu." They have some great desserts!

skobabe8
06-08-2008, 09:27 AM
I don't have a doubt that this guy has some kind of irrational hatred of the White Sox as a Cub fan. The interactive section offers one good and one bad item for every ballpark in baseball, nothing wrong with that. With one exception; he says there is nothing good at USCF and everything is to be avoided. That's just asinine.

Thats the point where this thig became ridiculous. Not even a picture of something good/something bad? Everything was that bad? Really? Come on.

Dornado
06-08-2008, 10:23 AM
All the Sox need to do to up the food quality at the Cell is to drive 90 miles north and steal all of the secret stadium sauce from Miller park....

mmmmm.... secret stadium sauce...

soxtalker
06-08-2008, 10:48 AM

You may be right that he's a Cubs' fan. So what. Ignore the Cubs-Sox comparison and focus on the highlights of the rest of baseball. There's still a lot that the Sox could learn from many of the other major league teams. And we would benefit as fans.

Rockman218
06-08-2008, 10:50 AM
What a jerk! I can't believe he ripped on Kosher Dogs like that! He must've gotten a Kosher Dog at the Urinal. As far as I know, the Kosher Dog is the best hot dog around. Love those grilled onions. MMMM I wish I had one right now. But yeah, the nerve of this guy. Go Kosher, Go Sox

Whitesox029
06-08-2008, 11:00 AM
Sports Illustrated ranked Sox Park via fan survey as having the second best value and taste for food in the entire major leagues. That is #2 out of 30. It's consistently ranked in the top 5 from every evaluation I have ever seen. There is no way anyone with taste buds could rank it lower. This article is clearly taking a veiled shot at the Sox.
Here is the SI ranking:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/specials/fansurvey/2008/index.html?eref=T1
We also got #1 in transportation options which is surprising considering cash parking is an arm and a leg compared to some places ($6 to park at Miller Park as of 2005)

DSpivack
06-08-2008, 11:28 AM
Thats the point where this thig became ridiculous. Not even a picture of something good/something bad? Everything was that bad? Really? Come on.

At first I was giving the guy the benefit of the doubt, as normally graphics are not done by the author; however, he wrote that reviews section.

You may be right that he's a Cubs' fan. So what. Ignore the Cubs-Sox comparison and focus on the highlights of the rest of baseball. There's still a lot that the Sox could learn from many of the other major league teams. And we would benefit as fans.

The difference is that he genuinely reviewed every single park in baseball for it's food, and basically completely wrote off the possibility of USCF having anything decent. By most measures, Sox Park has good food--probably not the best, but it's absolutely ridiculous to say to 'avoid everything'.

kittle42
06-08-2008, 07:09 PM
When I wrote about 3 weeks ago that the Cell had fallen behind some of the newer parks in food offerings, two fellow posters told me to go blow.

People are too passionate about their elotes, me thinks.

Palehose Pete
06-08-2008, 07:26 PM
When I wrote about 3 weeks ago that the Cell had fallen behind some of the newer parks in food offerings, two fellow posters told me to go blow.

I think that you're right. When I was ATT Park last year, I was able to get a huge order of garlic fries and a big Lagunitas IPA. And I just scratched the surface. I think that the Comiskey could perhaps diverify their offerings a bit more for the rank and file in the upper and lower decks. Chicago is home to some of the nation's top restaurants, after all. Some representation of that would be cool. Also, offering local beers would be great, too.

kninchicago
06-08-2008, 07:27 PM

I definitely think the food needs some help. It isn't hopeless, but it needs an upgrade big time. I'd love to see some more "unusual" offerings there rather than the predictable hot dog/sausage/fries etc.

soxrme
06-08-2008, 07:44 PM
Put a beers of the world in right field and also behind home plate. Heinekin forever

chisoxfanatic
06-08-2008, 07:46 PM
I definitely think the food needs some help. It isn't hopeless, but it needs an upgrade big time. I'd love to see some more "unusual" offerings there rather than the predictable hot dog/sausage/fries etc.

How about a Portillo's stand, as well as a Lindy's stand!

Parrothead
06-08-2008, 07:50 PM

Let's not start the whole Portillo's thing again. But I rather eat dirt that thier food.

Boondock Saint
06-08-2008, 07:58 PM
You know, I think the whole "grading ballpark food" thing is just ridiculous in general. I don't care if this place over here has gourmet soup or the other place has oysters or whatever. Because I'm not buying it anyway. When I go to a ballgame, I get BALLPARK food. I'll get a hotdog or polish. I don't care what other peripheral glamour crap you're serving, I'm not buying it. And for what it's worth, I think the Cell has GREAT ballpark food.

BigPapaPump
06-08-2008, 08:38 PM
I saw a show on the Food Network a couple of years ago with Rachael Ray where she went to different ball parks around the country(Major and Minor leagues). At her visit to Sox Park, I remember her being very pleased with Elotes. I don't remember much but I know she only had good things to say about the food.

DSpivack
06-08-2008, 08:40 PM
I saw a show on the Food Network a couple of years ago with Rachael Ray where she went to different ball parks around the country(Major and Minor leagues). At her visit to Sox Park, I remember her being very pleased with Elotes. I don't remember much but I know she only had good things to say about the food.

If Rachael Ray liked it that's not a good sign...

SOXfnNlansing
06-08-2008, 08:50 PM
Best Kosher inferior to Vienna Beef? Seriously? Did this guy even have a Kosher dog when he went to Comiskey?

Best's Kosher is better than the others imo:bandance:

Brian26
06-08-2008, 09:07 PM

Why would you want to put a Portillo's hotdog stand at the Cell when you can already get fantastic grilled koshers and polish at the park?

chisoxfanatic
06-08-2008, 09:09 PM
Why would you want to put a Portillo's hotdog stand at the Cell when you can already get fantastic grilled koshers and polish at the park?

I'm talkin' about the Italian beef. They could have their BCRs there, as well as their BBs there. Both would make big hits, IMHO.

chisoxmike
06-08-2008, 09:31 PM
Am I the only one who thinks the food has gone down hill the past few years?

There really is no varitey at the concession stands. While I love the Kosher Dogs, the buns are usually stale and the fries are usually cold. The pizza and chicken fingers flat out suck.The patio party food is actually pretty good but you can't get that in the stands.

And holy ****, the people working the stands take their sweet ass time too much.

And just because someone doesn't like something about Sox Park doesn't make them a Cubs fan.

chisoxfanatic
06-08-2008, 09:39 PM
Am I the only one who thinks the food has gone down hill the past few years?

There really is no varitey at the concession stands. While I love the Kosher Dogs, the buns are usually stale and the fries are usually cold. The pizza and chicken fingers flat out suck.The patio party food is actually pretty good but you can't get that in the stands.

And holy ****, the people working the stands take their sweet ass time too much.

And just because someone doesn't like something about Sox Park doesn't make them a Cubs fan.

Yes, the food has declined greatly over the past few years. I don't eat much at the ballpark as a result. I usually eat up at home beforehand.

As for your last comment, when someone who states he's from Chicago and displays something good from every other ballpark, yet claims you shouldn't try ANYTHING at ours, it can easily lead one to the conclusion that it's just a bitter Cubs fan.

DumpJerry
06-08-2008, 10:22 PM
I'm talkin' about the Italian beef. They could have their BCRs there, as well as their BBs there. Both would make big hits, IMHO.
We already have Italian Beef at Comiskey. It's not, you know, "orgasmic," but it is pretty good.

chisoxfanatic
06-08-2008, 10:26 PM
We already have Italian Beef at Comiskey. It's not, you know, "orgasmic," but it is pretty good.

LOL, it's no Portillo's tho.

manders_01
06-08-2008, 10:32 PM

:rolling: Heather, somehow I don't think DJ is ever going to let you forget you typed that. :tongue:

chisoxfanatic
06-08-2008, 10:40 PM
:rolling: Heather, somehow I don't think DJ is ever going to let you forget you typed that. :tongue:

Ahhh, well, I typed what I was thinking! No biggie! :D:

DumpJerry
06-08-2008, 10:41 PM
Well, in fairness, honey-covered desserts can be very nice and sweet.

chisoxfanatic
06-08-2008, 10:42 PM
Well, in fairness, honey-covered desserts can be very nice and sweet.

You just left yourself wide open there, but I will not bite...this is a family site!

Scottzilla
06-09-2008, 01:40 PM
I'm now up to 1,000,505,496 reasons not to read the nyt.

jenn2080
06-09-2008, 05:59 PM

You are not in the minority. I rarely eat the food at the park. The food is average at best. The only good thing is really the hot dog and brats. The chicken fingers, chicken sandwiches, and burgers are horrible. My brother got a burger last season and the bun could have killed a player if he tossed it on the field. It is like eating at a school cafe.

However, the elotes kick ass.

rookie
06-09-2008, 08:13 PM

I saw one that she did as well and she went to a Memphis Minor League Park that had my mouth watering. The BBQ looked awesome and they had tamales too I think.

Bob G
06-10-2008, 09:02 AM
You can still get Goose Island - I had a 312 recently. Honkers Ale is also available. The Beers of the World selection is good but the line is often too long and slow at least the one in the left field corner is.

I agree the food choices should be improved - I end up getting pizza which is decent since that line is typically pretty short and fast.

I think a Portillo's would be an excellent idea - the hot dogs, burgers, beef and Italian sausage are excellent and much better than what you can get at the ball park right now. It would be great if they can run the place as fast and efficient as their restaurants.

BringBackBlkJack
06-10-2008, 09:22 AM
I'm talkin' about the Italian beef.

My first stop once I'm back in the city is to Portillos for that exact reason.

Why they don't franchise those down South I do not understand.