PDA

View Full Version : Orlando Cabrera Report Card as of June 6th

ondafarm
06-07-2008, 12:00 AM
On the earlier report card several people accused me of bringing his mother in to vote and give him one of his few A's. Well, Orlando has continued to toil away, he seems to have taken out the master suite in Ozzie's doghouse (no I do not have a citation on that) and he continues to do the same things which made him a Gold Glove winner in Anaheim. They seem to be coming around and being more productive lately. I'm curious if the large number of F's for complete failure are reduced somewhat. He's won several PTC lately. He is a much better shortstop than Uribe and I'm curious if his performance lately has shown that to anyone else. I received a great deal of mocking for making that statement previously. Obviously, Ozzie Guillen agrees with me (isn't that ironic) because he could be playing Uribe just as easily.

ondafarm
06-07-2008, 12:09 AM
The previous poll ended at:

3 A's, 15 B's, 50 C's, 75 D's and 20 F's

Daver
06-07-2008, 12:13 AM
What is your point?

Gerry
06-07-2008, 04:17 AM
I really don't think Cabrera is in "Ozzie's doghouse" as much as everyone seems to think. And I don't really understand some of the hate he gets. If there's one player we can be sure isn't just dogging it out there, it's him. Right now I have him at a "C" and rising.

Gerry
06-07-2008, 05:17 AM
Pretty much everyone except Quentin and maybe AJ's offense has been questionable or just plain bad at some point this season. Last I checked we still have a few guys playing with "questionable" offense. Cabrera is helping the team, he is hustling out there. But I guess that is just padding stats to some people. Whatever. If "padding his stats" helps put the Sox back in the playoffs and beyond, I'll take it. People need to start backing off on him. Was I a big fan about Cabrera calling up about the errors? No, but like he said, it was blown WAY out of proportion. It's not affecting anything. Cheap RBIs my ass. He's the freaking lead off man. He's just looking to get on base, and if and when he has an opportunity to get an RBI, of course he is going to try and get it, I sure as hell hope he would. It seems like some other players on the Sox are actively trying NOT to get RBIs the way they are hitting.

Gerry
06-07-2008, 07:32 AM
My point is that it would be incredibly stupid for him to dog it or not try. I know he isn't coming back next season, he knows it and everyone else does too, why the hell would he NOT try to get on base or not hit better? Why wouldn't he want the team to do well? The better they do, the better it will be for him in the future. The farther they go, the better he plays, the better and more lucrative it will be for him in the off season. What you are describing seems to be a guy who just got his pay day and phones it in sometimes, when that's the not case at all for Cabrera. He was in a slump, as was everyone else in the lineup, simple as that. He is hitting out of it, that should be apparent by now and YOU should be able to see that.

I mean, how the **** does he dog it on offense or he is "questionable" on offense as you say, but defensively he's good if not great? He only tries hard on defense? BS. He was in a slump, that's all there is to it. And no, of course he isn't the only player I see hustling, I just don't see how he is being singled out when it would be incredibly stupid for him to be NOT hustling this season.

Man I swear if that report about Cabrera calling up the press box about the errors never came out, these kind of BS comments or accusations aren't even happening right now because OC isn't playing like a "greedy" player. Some people seem just to LATCH onto to things like that, never let go of it, blow it out of proportion and hold it against that player FOREVER. I knew the second I read it how much it was going to be overblown. Because now after ANY mistake he makes, an error, a bad at bat, base running blunder, whatever, anything he screws up it will be brought up again and again how he is selfish, only cares about himself, etc,etc. Get over it already.

Frater Perdurabo
06-07-2008, 07:37 AM
Right now I have him at a "C" and rising.

That's the grade I'd give him, too.

voodoochile
06-07-2008, 10:09 AM
I gave him a B because for most of the last month he has been the player I expected him to be. Oh and anyone who still thinks his defense is suspect needs to have their head examined.

hawkjt
06-07-2008, 10:51 AM
He is now swinging the bat with that nice inside out swing that I remember scaring me in the past.,finally. He is a line drive hitter who keeps his bat in the zone a long time.

I give him a C but rising quickly.
His defense has been a little subpar but also improving.
I am writing off his april as a cold weather deal.
I really like have Alexei and OC both with right field swings and speed...first and thirding each other.
As for the error deal...who fricking cares,really. Only purist nuts.
Just produce on the field and I am a happy OC fan.

ondafarm
06-07-2008, 10:49 PM
. . .
His defense has been a little subpar but also improving. . .

Really, I think he's been playing near Gold Glove level for the last month.

HartmanSox
06-08-2008, 09:56 AM
He's underperforming and needs to step it up. He has been on the rise lately. That's all the needs to be said.

Who gives a **** if he's in "Ozzie's doghouse" or not. He is a professional and that should not bother him.

Gerry
06-08-2008, 10:23 AM
Whoa... Sorry to step on your toes dude. Kind of taking this personal aren't ya? And I still stand by my opinion.

Not taking it personally, but I have seen this type of reaction from fans so much it becomes predictable. I guarantee at the end of this season there will still be, probably including you, people whining and crying over this, about Cabrera playing for himself, not caring about the team, etc. To borrow a quote from Ozzie. it's horse[bleep]. Because that isn't how he is playing.

ondafarm
06-08-2008, 08:09 PM
Who gives a **** if he's in "Ozzie's doghouse" or not. He is a professional and that should not bother him.

I'm always bewildered by these statements. The average player spends more time each day working on baseball issues (fitness, meetings, mental prep, batting practice, fielding practice) than the average office worker spends at the office. I know when my boss is displeased with my performance on anything, it makes my life miserable, and I'm a "professional paper shuffler" (I mean computer programmer/ statistician.) It bothers me a lot. And I don't even play half my games on the road.

Is it just me but when the people you live with/ work with get angry with you, does it affect your life?

Save McCuddy's
06-09-2008, 12:04 AM
I have him as a C, but I never expected much more than B- ish at best anyways.

chisoxfanatic
06-09-2008, 12:36 AM
B, because he's starting to really improve; but, he still has a little tweaking to go.

Bucky F. Dent
06-09-2008, 08:14 AM
Given his recent upward trend, I had to give him a B.

He seems to be improving all around.

TomBradley72
06-09-2008, 09:47 AM
Really, I think he's been playing near Gold Glove level for the last month.

I'll give him a B- for the year.

An A- for the last month/30 days. Solid defense, while hitting .301 and ranking 3rd on the team with 17 RBIs.