PDA

View Full Version : Mark Cuban wants to buy the Cubs

PatK
06-06-2008, 03:01 PM
He now says he's willing to "pull out all stops" to buy them

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/chicago-cubs-mark-cuban-jun06,0,5316774.story

The Critic
06-06-2008, 03:07 PM
He'll give Sam Zell cash.....which is just as good as money.....

Navarro's Talent
06-06-2008, 03:09 PM
If he bought the team, I wonder how big the payroll would be for 2009? :o:

Tekijawa
06-06-2008, 03:18 PM
Just when you thought that area couldn't become more of a circus, Barnum & Bailey himself comes along... Nero ruled Rome for awhile... I see this ending up the same. Drunken orgies, incest, then the whole place burns down.

PatK
06-06-2008, 03:22 PM
I know people are excited about it.

I also know people from Dallas that are Maverick fans that you can ask how well Cuban has worked out for them.

It's Time
06-06-2008, 03:48 PM
He thinks JR would support him?:?: Interesting.

JorgeFabregas
06-06-2008, 03:49 PM
I know people are excited about it.

I also know people from Dallas that are Maverick fans that you can ask how well Cuban has worked out for them.
I assume you mean that they're frustrated, as most fans of a good team that hasn't won it would be. But really...two fifty win seasons in the franchise's history before he took over and a pretty miserable decade (1990's). Since then, 50+ wins every year in the more difficult conference.

Stoky44
06-06-2008, 03:55 PM
I think I would be jealous of the Cubs getting an owner like that. Thats not to put JR down. Cubans antics could get old, much like people feel about ozzie or AJ or Kenny. I think he is the guy you love to have as your owner but hate as another teams owner.

If he buys the Cubs their payroll will jump another 25-35 million. Thats not to say they will win a world series, but means they are going to probably make the playoffs a lot more. Translation, I would be kind of jealous and would be sick of Cub fans even more.

cws05champ
06-06-2008, 04:01 PM
I hope to God this does not happen...

kittle42
06-06-2008, 04:03 PM

I'm with you. It's a little easier to buy championships in baseball, and he certainly would. Plus, I really think Wrigley would become even MORE of a playground than it already is. I'd honestly have to move out of the neighborhood.

This could possibly be the worst thing that could happen for the Sox' publicity in this city.

peeonwrigley
06-06-2008, 04:14 PM

Agreed. I'm hoping the faceless hedge fund guys get it.

jackbrohamer
06-06-2008, 04:16 PM
It won't matter if it's true that Selig and other owners don't want him. They don't exactly run a democracy.

hi im skot
06-06-2008, 04:23 PM
I think I would be jealous of the Cubs getting an owner like that. Thats not to put JR down. Cubans antics could get old, much like people feel about ozzie or AJ or Kenny. I think he is the guy you love to have as your owner but hate as another teams owner.

If he buys the Cubs their payroll will jump another 25-35 million. Thats not to say they will win a world series, but means they are going to probably make the playoffs a lot more. Translation, I would be kind of jealous and would be sick of Cub fans even more.

You would be jealous of the circus that franchise would (further) become?

Seriously?

:?:

areilly
06-06-2008, 04:24 PM
I think the sight of Cuban yelling at umpires would be a pretty funny one indeed.

white sox bill
06-06-2008, 04:25 PM
MLB is conservative, so I'm not sure how the other owners would respond. CUBan (that typo was done intentionally) says JR and him are on good terms but that may be personally. I would hope JR or someone else would nix this deal.

If Mr Publicity buys them, I guess I can kiss whatever hope I have in MY lifetime to see the Sox taker over this city.

Frater Perdurabo
06-06-2008, 04:48 PM
Cuban really helped improve the Mavericks.

Granted, they already had the "core" of a 50-win team in place (Dirk, Nash, Finley) when he bought them, and the new arena deal already was in place. But he helped make the Mavericks into a "premiere" franchise by really taking care of the players.

On the other side, he's interfered too much in basketball decisions. (He let Steve Nash go, but then give too much money to Eric Dampier). He's driven two good coaches out of town.

He's pissed off NBA refs and some would say it's cost the Mavs some calls.

If Cuban bought the Cubs, the circus would be significantly amplified.

KnightSox
06-06-2008, 05:23 PM
Cuban is the same guy who let Steve Nash go, I hope he buys the Cubs.

esbrechtel
06-06-2008, 05:53 PM
Just when you thought that area couldn't become more of a circus, Barnum & Bailey himself comes along... Nero ruled Rome for awhile... I see this ending up the same. Drunken orgies, incest, then the whole place burns down.

That is hilarious!

WhiteSox5187
06-06-2008, 05:56 PM
It won't happen. JR won't allow it nor will Bud. I hope that a guy looking to make a profit buys the cubs and trades away their best players to allow forty thousand people watch a team of midgets in beautiful wrigley field.

white sox bill
06-06-2008, 06:01 PM
It won't happen. JR won't allow it nor will Bud. I hope that a guy looking to make a profit buys the cubs and trades away their best players to allow forty thousand people watch a team of midgets in beautiful wrigley field.

Cuban says JR and him get along as far as thier NBA franches. I'll bet it will end there. Once Cuban tries to get his hands on JR's piece of the pie, hopefully JR will then nix it. They get along fine as long as there isn't direct competition.

JUribe1989
06-06-2008, 06:55 PM
Let him have the Cubs. He's not a big-money-spending owner. He pays for grit and guts as he put it, not stardom.

That must be why he didn't pay Nash, yet he paid Jason Terry and Josh Howard. Cubs fans should hope he doesn't buy the Cubs.

EuroSox35
06-06-2008, 07:26 PM
We got screwed by Steinbrenner when trying to get a rich owner, there's no reason not to wish the same happens to them :angry:

TDog
06-06-2008, 07:43 PM
A couple of points:

Before a person, group or corporation can buy a major league team, they have to get permission from the other owners in the league. The Reinsdorf group wasn't Bill Veeck's first choice for a buyer when he sold the White Sox.

The owners cannot collude with each other to keep player salaries down. That is a labor thing. Baseball has been sanctioned before.

The owners can "collude" in determining who other owners in the league will sell their teams to. That is, if they want to keep salaries down by decreasing the number of bidders in an insane free agent market, they are within their legal rights to keep out anyone who is likely to outbid them for talent. Baseball has an antitrust exemption. It doesn't even have to provide a good reason to prevent someone from buying a team.

The concern approving a sale of a team is the health of the franchise. Ideally baseball is looking for financially health ownership groups.

The Cubs do not have a problem with financial health as some franchises do, especially teams that are for sale. The Giants, for example, have had investors dropping out of their ownership, and the lack of the group's stability seems to be a concern of Major League Baseball.

There are reasons I can seen why someone like Mark Cuban would not get express written consent from Major League Baseball to buy a franchise. I would think he would have a better chance of saving a financially unhealthy team than in starting at the top with a franchise that does not need his deep pockets.

WSox597
06-07-2008, 05:57 AM
I'd love to see Cuban buy the cubs.

And then move them to Dallas, where they can spend the rest of eternity getting kicked around by Houston.

A man can dream. :D:

Of course, the down side to that is most of the "greatest fans in the world" would still be here, stumbling around urinating at random.

FedEx227
06-07-2008, 08:56 AM
Let him have the Cubs. He's not a big-money-spending owner. He pays for grit and guts as he put it, not stardom.

That must be why he didn't pay Nash, yet he paid Jason Terry and Josh Howard. Cubs fans should hope he doesn't buy the Cubs.

And Erick Dampier, and Keith Van Horn... and Terry was not cheap himself.

He's a big-money spender.

DumpJerry
06-07-2008, 09:26 AM
I hope he does it. Then the media will stop calling Ozzie the crazy guy in Chicago.

thedudeabides
06-07-2008, 10:07 AM
Cuban really helped improve the Mavericks.

Granted, they already had the "core" of a 50-win team in place (Dirk, Nash, Finley) when he bought them, and the new arena deal already was in place. But he helped make the Mavericks into a "premiere" franchise by really taking care of the players.

On the other side, he's interfered too much in basketball decisions. (He let Steve Nash go, but then give too much money to Eric Dampier). He's driven two good coaches out of town.

He's pissed off NBA refs and some would say it's cost the Mavs some calls.

If Cuban bought the Cubs, the circus would be significantly amplified.

I heard a couple of the ESPN talking heads discussing this, I'm sorry I can't remember the two, but they said that Cuban is business first and would never come in and spend Yankee type money. They also said around the league his act has gotten very old and he's a joke in some circles. Most players that have left the Mavs have told players never to go there. Word is, they are going to have a hard time with big name free agent signings in the future.

I'll try to find the source to back this up.

RadioheadRocks
06-08-2008, 01:31 PM
Cuban is the same guy who let Steve Nash go, I hope he buys the Cubs.

He was also at the center of one of the shortest-lived reality shows of all time. Anyone remember "Tbe Benefactor"??? Of course you don't! :D: