PDA

View Full Version : Who is the ace of the Chicago White Sox?

RockyMtnSoxFan
06-06-2008, 09:38 AM
I'm curious who our ace is. I think it's Contreras. He has six starts in a row where he has averaged seven innings and just over one run. A case could be made for any of our starters, though.

oeo
06-06-2008, 09:39 AM
It's, without a doubt, Contreras. Javy has been consistent, but has not been dominating like Contreras.

As a matter of fact, I'd say Danks has been better than Javy this year. Javy has been good, Contreras/Danks have been better.

aryzner
06-06-2008, 09:39 AM
I'd have to agree, but it's also oh so close to being Vazquez at the same time.

Can we just say we have 2 aces?

Cuck the Fubs
06-06-2008, 09:40 AM
I would say it's Contrerasdanksfloydvazquez :redneck

doublem23
06-06-2008, 09:40 AM
Personally, I think its a meaningless designation, but if I had to pick 1 starter right now in a do or die situation, someone would have to convince me to pick someone other than Contreras. He's pitching great and he's been there before, can't go wrong with that combo.

skottyj242
06-06-2008, 09:43 AM
The fans.

Mr.1Dog
06-06-2008, 09:45 AM
Don Cooper?

balke
06-06-2008, 09:47 AM
We should DFA Contreras... right? Where are all those people at? I thought we were going to cut this guy? Oh that's right, now we should cut Buehrle.

I'm glad the Sox stuck with the guy. It had to be tough and tempting to try and deal him. I bet the Mets are kicking themselves right now for not taking a chance on trading for him last season as it was rumored.

sox1970
06-06-2008, 09:48 AM
Since the Sox don't skip anyone in the rotation, it doesn't really matter.

Let's put it this way though--If the playoffs started today, and you could line up any four pitchers for the rotation, I don't see how you could include Buehrle.

I'd probably go--Contreras, Danks, Vazquez, Floyd

ElevenUp
06-06-2008, 10:02 AM
The Bronze Titan

balke
06-06-2008, 10:09 AM
Since the Sox don't skip anyone in the rotation, it doesn't really matter.

Let's put it this way though--If the playoffs started today, and you could line up any four pitchers for the rotation, I don't see how you could include Buehrle.

I'd probably go--Contreras, Danks, Vazquez, Floyd

With the preface of right now, yes. I think by season's end Buehrle will find a way back to #1 starter in the playoffs, #3 at the least.

VeeckAsInWreck
06-06-2008, 10:12 AM
It's a toss up between Javy and Jose. I chose Jose but that could be because his start from last night is still fresh in my mind. Still, it's great to see that our starters have been this good.

Chez
06-06-2008, 10:13 AM
7th game of the World Series? Buehrle is still the guy I would want on the mound.

sox1970
06-06-2008, 10:13 AM
With the preface of right now, yes. I think by season's end Buehrle will find a way back to #1 starter in the playoffs, #3 at the least.

Well, yeah, as of now.

#1? I doubt it.

VeeckAsInWreck
06-06-2008, 10:14 AM
We should DFA Contreras... right? Where are all those people at? I thought we were going to cut this guy? Oh that's right, now we should cut Buehrle.

There are a lot of posters here who think that they know more about running an MLB team than KW and Ozzie.

:gulp:Here's to Jose pitching again like it's the second half of 2005!

VeeckAsInWreck
06-06-2008, 10:16 AM
7th game of the World Series? Buehrle is still the guy I would want on the mound.

That's very sweet and loyal of you but I would still choose Vazquez or Contreras over Buehrle.

balke
06-06-2008, 10:24 AM
That's very sweet and loyal of you but I would still choose Vazquez or Contreras over Buehrle.

We will see, can't fast forward the season unfortunately. There's a lot of baseball left, plenty of time for MB to bounce back.

VeeckAsInWreck
06-06-2008, 10:33 AM
We will see, can't fast forward the season unfortunately. There's a lot of baseball left, plenty of time for MB to bounce back.

I'm not saying that he won't bounce back. But let's say that if Game 7 were tonight and seeing how the pitchers have been. Would you really pick Buerhle over Vazquez, Contreras, Floyd or Danks? :scratch:

I get that we want to show Buehrle support but this year he has been inconsistent. He either has no run support and pitches great, or he starts in Cleveland and gets rocked.

I really do hope that Mark gets it all back by the second half of the season.

balke
06-06-2008, 10:34 AM
I'm not saying that he won't bounce back. But let's say that if Game 7 were tonight and seeing how the pitchers have been. Would you really pick Buerhle over Vazquez, Contreras, Floyd or Danks? :scratch:

I get that we want to show Buehrle support but this year he has been inconsistent. He either has no run support and pitches great, or he starts in Cleveland and gets rocked.

I really do hope that Mark gets it all back by the second half of the season.

The World Series isn't tonight, its in October. At such time, I think I'll probably be asking for Buehrle in that situation. Of course if its Game 7 of the World Series, we can have multiple starters pitch if needed :cool:

MCHSoxFan
06-06-2008, 10:43 AM
I put down Javy but I think Jose is too.

turners56
06-06-2008, 11:01 AM
Javy is real good, but when you look at the numbers this year, Jose is one of the best pitchers in the AL with a 2.76 ERA. Right now, when Jose pitches, I have an overwhelming feeling that the Sox will win. Like a 70-30 feeling. As for Javy, maybe 60-40 or 55-45.

jabrch
06-06-2008, 11:07 AM
Who cares who is "the ace"?

What does that mean anyhow? I'm thrilled that we have 5 guys who can take the ball and have a chance of going out and pitching effectively.

34 Inch Stick
06-06-2008, 11:35 AM
There are a lot of posters here who think that they know more about running an MLB team than KW and Ozzie.

:gulp:Here's to Jose pitching again like it's the second half of 2005!

KW would have traded Jose to anyone willing to take on the contract last year.

chisoxfanatic
06-06-2008, 11:45 AM
I'd have to agree, but it's also oh so close to being Vazquez at the same time.

Can we just say we have 2 aces?
That is what I stated in a post last night. I, however, would choose Vazquez slightly over Contreras at this moment; but, isn't it great we're even having this discussion?

The Dude
06-06-2008, 11:47 AM
The fans.

Toby Hall?

The Dude
06-06-2008, 11:48 AM
Buehrle

It's still Javy but Jose is right there with him. Our bats have screwed Javy more than Jose.

Boondock Saint
06-06-2008, 12:01 PM
It's Javy, in my book. He's got the best stuff, and he's been the most consistent pitcher we've had over the last year.

balke
06-06-2008, 12:08 PM
Part of me wonders if we'll be talking about Danks at years end. He's been flat out awesome this year with one bad outing in Minnesota early to inflate his ERA.

TDog
06-06-2008, 01:00 PM
On mlb.com, the last time Vazquez was pitching, the site described him as the ace of the staff. I tend to believe the point is moot.

The White Sox have five starters who can and have pitched this season as if they were the ace of the staff. Buehrle inspires less confidence from fans this season because he has had more bad games, but Danks tends not to go very deep into his games (and had a miserable outing against the Twins). Floyd, Contreras and Vazquez have been fairly consistent.

Fans should feel good about whoever the Sox put on the mound to start the game. And with the exception of Loaiza, who I haven't seen pitch this year, fans should feel confident about any pitcher the Sox bring in to hold the opposition. That's important because none of the Sox starters are pitching complete games.

This season's excellent Sox pitching is truly a team effort.

rwcescato
06-06-2008, 01:28 PM
I'm curious who our ace is. I think it's Contreras. He has six starts in a row where he has averaged seven innings and just over one run. A case could be made for any of our starters, though.

We have a nice luxury right now. Burhle is our worst starter and a lot of teams would like to have that problem.:gulp:

PicktoCLick72
06-06-2008, 02:11 PM
We have a nice luxury right now. Burhle is our worst starter and a lot of teams would like to have that problem.:gulp:

Did we release Mark Buehrle?

Pinar_del_Rio_WS
06-06-2008, 03:18 PM
Contreras, In this moment all his numbers (except for SOs) are better than those of vazquez.

On anyway an outstanding pitching staff, my cheers to the 5 WS guys gang. Keep doing this way.

Etownsox13
06-06-2008, 04:13 PM
Mark is still our ace. The turnaround is coming very shortly

tick53
06-06-2008, 06:17 PM
I went with Hosey.

btrain929
06-06-2008, 06:20 PM
Whoever is our starter that night.

BadBobbyJenks
06-06-2008, 06:23 PM
It's, without a doubt, Contreras. Javy has been consistent, but has not been dominating like Contreras.

As a matter of fact, I'd say Danks has been better than Javy this year. Javy has been good, Contreras/Danks have been better.

It has to be Javy until we see this out of Danks for a full season.

Contreras looks like the man who could not lose at the end of 05 and first half of 06.

WHITE SOX PRIDE!
06-06-2008, 07:10 PM
1. jose
2. javy
3. john
4. gavin
5. mark

Gerry
06-07-2008, 03:14 AM
Hi-ho all, first post here. Right now I have to say Vazquez is the White Sox ace. I feel the most comfortable with him out on the mound. Contreras has to be this good consistently in order to beat him out, and he just hasn't been. When I say consistently I mean season after season, not just for half. That's not to take away what he's done though, he's been great this year, Come back player of the year for sure if he can keep it up. But if I had a choice in Game 7 of the World Series and everyone was ready to go, I'm taking Vazquez. He's the most overpowering pitcher on the staff. Buehrle, while good and very solid, has to be too perfect in order to really overpower the opposing batters and if he isn't, watch out, he could be shelled big time.

FarWestChicago
06-07-2008, 10:04 AM
KW would have traded Jose to anyone willing to take on the contract last year.No, you would have traded Jose for nothing. That's why so many of us are happy the Resident WSI Genius GM's don't actually run the team. :nod:

Frankfan4life
06-07-2008, 11:36 AM
I voted for Jose. So far, he's been awesome this season. Actually, I feel confident whenever any of our SPs take the mound that we have a great chance to win the game. It's basically a question of whether our bats will back them up.

EndemicSox
06-07-2008, 11:45 AM
Javy and Jose have the best "stuff" by far, but that doesn't always translate into "ace"...

Regardless, when the worst starter has been MB, things are looking good for the future of this team, as pitching is everything...Floyd/Danks/Javy/MB...oh my!

soxinem1
06-08-2008, 05:09 PM
Actually a pleasant dilemma we have here, picking the ace on the AL's best pitching staff.

I go with Floyd, as he has been solid from day one. He's been really tough to hit, and has made the hitters look like they cannot pick him up, which is a good thing. And lately, he's been racking up some K's.

But the argument for Contreras is strong too, as both of them were run out of town by many of us not too long.

Frater Perdurabo
06-08-2008, 05:15 PM
Who's the ace?

The answer to this question depends on who is pitching for the Sox on a given day!

Today it was Floyd.

So who's starting tomorrow? Tomorrow he will be the ace.

:)

ilsox7
06-08-2008, 05:22 PM
Javy and Jose have the best "stuff" by far, but that doesn't always translate into "ace"...

Regardless, when the worst starter has been MB, things are looking good for the future of this team, as pitching is everything...Floyd/Danks/Javy/MB...oh my!

Floyd has the best stuff on the staff.

Frontman
06-08-2008, 05:52 PM
I gotta go with Javy, but its close. Vaquez has been excellent, and a strike out machine. If the playoffs started today, I would go with Javy, Jose, Floyd, then Mark; just because of experience only.

But all of the pitchers have been good, with Mark having the least run support. He's had a few rough outings, but games like yesterday is more what Mark is like. Gonna give up some hits, but with good play and a some run support he can get the Sox a win.

Tragg
06-08-2008, 06:31 PM
I vote Gavin Floyd.
Flirted with 2 no hitters.
Good era and awesome whip.
And he's getting better....he's striking out more hitters and walking less....silencing any notions of "luck".

Plus, his curve ball may be the best single pitch of anyone on this staff.

Stringer
06-08-2008, 06:38 PM
Gavin, Jose and John all deserve alot of credit but if you ask me who has the best chance of keeping it all season long

I gotta go with Javier

So I picked him