PDA

View Full Version : Sox pitching now #1 in ERA in MLB

cws05champ
06-06-2008, 10:25 AM
Who saw this coming? The Chicago White Sox lead all of baseball with a 3.31 team ERA. We have 4 starters in the top 12 of the AL in ERA. Bullpen is best in the league and 2nd in all of baseball with a 2.82 ERA.

Lets keep it going and sweep those Twinkies....

southside rocks
06-06-2008, 10:28 AM
I bet it helped that they sent Wassermann and his 14.85 ERA to Charlotte. :tongue:

Seriously, I like E-Dub and I hope he's back, and effective, in the future.

whitem0nkey
06-06-2008, 10:29 AM
The least HR allowed also!

Madvora
06-06-2008, 10:53 AM
I think KW may have been the only one who saw that coming. People could have believed that Danks and Floyd would have good years, but I don't think anyone was expecting this.

SoxGirl4Life
06-06-2008, 10:56 AM
:thumbsup: Jose, Javy, Gavin and John!
:thumbsup: Bullpen! You've saved my emotional well being!

And I have a feeling Mark will come around too. Guys gotta get him some runs this weekend.

BRDSR
06-06-2008, 11:05 AM
I bet it helped that they sent Wassermann and his 14.85 ERA to Charlotte. :tongue:

Seriously, I like E-Dub and I hope he's back, and effective, in the future.

I doubt the stats are based on the current roster. They're more likely based on the number of innings the White Sox have pitched and the number of runs they've given up...or does that emoticon imply that you already know this? If so...use teal, I guess.

This pitching staff has far exceeded my expectations. Four starters in the top 12 ERA is unbelievable. Contreras will get some Cy Young votes if he finishes the year with that stats projected right now.

kjhanson
06-06-2008, 11:17 AM
Contreras will get some Cy Young votes if he finishes the year with that stats projected right now.

Stat Projections - the only reason I'm ever on ESPN.com anymore. Their player cards have nice current year projections.

Jose Contreras: 16-8, 2.76, 131:55
John Danks: 11-11, 2.88, 135:53
Gavin Floyd: 16-8, 3.15, 94:71 (.196 BAA makes up for that hideous ratio)
Javier Vazquez: 13-10, 3.43, 201:44 (pretty)
Mark Buehrle: 5-16, 5.20, 110:60

For Fun:
TCQ: .287/.397/.564/.961, 42 HR, 140 RBI
Hamilton: .321/.369/.611/.980, 45 HR, 179 RBI

oeo
06-06-2008, 11:21 AM
Stat Projections - the only reason I'm ever on ESPN.com anymore. Their player cards have nice current year projections.

For Fun:

Even further OT: ESPN's new stat system is great. It seems like they update in almost real time. In the past they were only updated once each day, now you can check during a game, and they're updated.

ondafarm
06-06-2008, 11:23 AM
Home run predictions which project April and May will look at all like June-July and August in any ballpark except a dome are ridiculous. I recall a home run leader who had three on June first.

Carolina Kenny
06-06-2008, 11:31 AM
People, we have got something very special happening this year. Enjoy!!

turners56
06-06-2008, 12:03 PM
Who saw this coming? The Chicago White Sox lead all of baseball with a 3.31 team ERA. We have 4 starters in the top 12 of the AL in ERA. Bullpen is best in the league and 2nd in all of baseball with a 2.82 ERA.

Lets keep it going and sweep those Twinkies....

The Twins meanwhile are all in the middle when it comes to statistics. Middle of the pack in ERA, batting average, etc. They're last in homers and second to last in their strong suit: fielding. I don't know how the hell they are winning.

turners56
06-06-2008, 12:06 PM

For Fun:
Hamilton: .321/.369/.611/.980, 45 HR, 179 RBI

The W-L ratio adds up to 61-53 though :whiner:. That means the bullpen is going to have to pull out 30 wins somehow.

Hokiesox
06-06-2008, 12:15 PM
Buehrle 5-16?

turners56
06-06-2008, 12:16 PM
Buehrle 5-16?

I guess 2-6 somehow translates into that...

I think Mark will end up around .500 once it's all said and done. Somewhere around 13-12 or 12-13. Danks will finish above .500 at around 12-10 or 14-11 (because he's just a tough luck loser, a great example is two nights ago). As for Jose and Gavin, those seem about right. I'll take anywhere around 15 wins for Floyd. Javy is going to get more than 13 wins, I'd say he'll be 15-9.

balke
06-06-2008, 12:16 PM
Buehrle 5-16?

Projections are always true, watch out! I wouldn't be surprised to see him with +12 wins at the end of the season.

BRDSR
06-06-2008, 12:19 PM
I guess 2-6 somehow translates into that...

They probably expect a certain number of starts, a certain percentage of those starts to be decisions, and then bases the final win/loss totals on the current win/loss totals. Buerhle is probably projected to get 21 decisions, so they went with 5-15 and then added an extra loss because there is a 75% chance that each decision will be a loss.

I looooooove projections.

turners56
06-06-2008, 12:19 PM
They probably expect a certain number of starts, a certain percentage of those starts to be decisions, and then bases the final win/loss totals on the current win/loss totals. Buerhle is probably projected to get 21 decisions, so they went with 5-15 and then added an extra loss because there is a 75% chance that each decision will be a loss.

Projections are only accurate by the end of the season. Right now, they're pretty much useless.

doublem23
06-06-2008, 12:55 PM

The just extrapolate the current year's stats over a 162-game average. They're convenient, since they do the math for you, but otherwise pretty worthless. It would make more sense if it was labeled "Pace" rather than 'Projection."

cws05champ
06-06-2008, 01:55 PM
I think KW may have been the only one who saw that coming. People could have believed that Danks and Floyd would have good years, but I don't think anyone was expecting this.
I don't think KW, even his wettest dream, could have hoped for this from Danks and Floyd. If they do keep this up the whole year...man what a rotation!

Metalthrasher442
06-06-2008, 02:05 PM
We need to resign Danks. He is as consistent as it comes!

TDog
06-06-2008, 02:14 PM
I doubt the stats are based on the current roster. They're more likely based on the number of innings the White Sox have pitched and the number of runs they've given up. ...

Your'e right, of course. Team ERA takes innings pitched over the season and earned runs given up over the season, whether they were pitched by MacDougal or Wasserman or whoever. But in addition to that, individual ERAs may (and in Wasserman's case, I believe they do) include more earned runs than team ERAs because there are earned runs charged to pitchers that are not charged against the team ERA. Hypothetically, if a pitcher comes into an inning that should be over becasue an error would have ended it already and gives up six straight hits, the last of which is a home run, the pitcher will be charged with six earned runs. Those runs don't count against the team ERA because the inning should have been over, but as the individual ERA measures the pticher's effectiveness, the error that happened on another pitcher's watch is not factored into the assessment of his outing.

It is only June. Hitting tends to heat up with the weather in June, July and August. But the Sox ERA is quite impressive. I'm surprised at the quality of pitching in the American League this year.

BRDSR
06-06-2008, 02:21 PM
Your'e right, of course. Team ERA takes innings pitched over the season and earned runs given up over the season, whether they were pitched by MacDougal or Wasserman or whoever. But in addition to that, individual ERAs may (and in Wasserman's case, I believe they do) include more earned runs than team ERAs because there are earned runs charged to pitchers that are not charged against the team ERA. Hypothetically, if a pitcher comes into an inning that should be over becasue an error would have ended it already and gives up six straight hits, the last of which is a home run, the pitcher will be charged with six earned runs. Those runs don't count against the team ERA because the inning should have been over, but as the individual ERA measures the pticher's effectiveness, the error that happened on another pitcher's watch is not factored into the assessment of his outing.

Interesting point. But then the question becomes whether anyone anywhere keeps a running count of team earned runs or whether they simply add up the number of earned runs each pitcher has given up and use that number. On the one hand, if you're using team ERA to reflect the runs that would have been scored had the defense been perfect, the first calculation makes sense. On the other hand, if you're using team ERA to reflect the aggregate effectiveness of the pitching staff, the second calculation makes sense.

Rockman218
06-06-2008, 03:21 PM
I think Beuhrle's pitched a quality start like 3 of his last 4 outings. From what I've seen, he just keeps getting hosed when it comes to the W's. It seems like he'll have a couple quality starts and then he'll get rocked in a game and bring his ERA back up. I think he's alright.

But anyways, HELL YEAH!!! Cheers to all Sox pitchers. :gulp:

TDog
06-06-2008, 05:14 PM
Interesting point. But then the question becomes whether anyone anywhere keeps a running count of team earned runs or whether they simply add up the number of earned runs each pitcher has given up and use that number. On the one hand, if you're using team ERA to reflect the runs that would have been scored had the defense been perfect, the first calculation makes sense. On the other hand, if you're using team ERA to reflect the aggregate effectiveness of the pitching staff, the second calculation makes sense.

Team ERAs are based on team earned runs allowed and team innings pitches. Many statistical breakdowns of pitching staffs will include a note pointing out that total individual earned runs may be higher than the total team earned runs due to application of Section 10.18(i) of the Major League Baseball scoring rules, which was what I was alluding to.

I haven't done this, but if you add up the earned runs allowed by all Sox pitchers appearing in games this season, you will probably find the number higher than the number of earned runs listed in the team pitching totals.

I believe a runs-allowed average per nine innings would be more telling anyway. I am aware of no one who figures that. Often pitchers should bear substantial blame for unearned runs. The pitchers who work over mistakes and give up fewer unearned runs deserve more credit. Of course, not all earned runs are created equal.

I haven't looked at the pitching stats for a couple of weeks, but the last time I checked, the Rangers were not only allowing the most earned runs, but the most unearned runs as well. A lot of unearned runs allowed is usually the sign of a weak pitching staff.

thomas35forever
06-06-2008, 05:37 PM
:bandance:
Yes! I love it! If we keep this up, we'll definitely be going places in the playoffs. The hitting just needs to come around or this team will remind me of the 2005 Bears.

Floyd and Danks proved me wrong and Contreras has put all his troubles behind him. If you had told me Buehrle would be our worst pitcher at the beginning of June, I would've said you were crazy. Linebrink and Dotel have been very impressive this year too. Cheers to Coop and the entire staff!

chisoxfanatic
06-06-2008, 06:29 PM
The Twins meanwhile are all in the middle when it comes to statistics. Middle of the pack in ERA, batting average, etc. They're last in homers and second to last in their strong suit: fielding. I don't know how the hell they are winning.
Artificial climate control.

I never thought Danks or Floyd would be ANYWHERE near where they are at this moment! Neither has had much experience before this year, yet they both are looking as poised as 10-year veterans! It is definitely refreshing to watch. Javy's pretty much the only one pitching as I had expected.

If Buehrle can get it going, look out! And, if our hitting can start being consistent, this team will be pretty much unbeatable.

BadBobbyJenks
06-06-2008, 07:37 PM
The least HR allowed also!

Lets hope this keeps up as it warms up.

Jerome
06-06-2008, 08:08 PM
Every time someone says "Fire Greg Walker" they should at the same time bow down at the feet of Don Cooper.