PDA

View Full Version : Buehrle Talking Smack?

DrCrawdad
05-04-2002, 11:55 PM
What did Buehrle say?

"Oakland manager Art Howe, upset with comments by Buehrle on Friday, believes the Sox talk a good game. He prefers his players keep it zipped.

""You just keep your mouths shut and play the game," Howe said."

- From Chicago Sports.com

GASHWOUND
05-05-2002, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
What did Buehrle say?

"Oakland manager Art Howe, upset with comments by Buehrle on Friday, believes the Sox talk a good game. He prefers his players keep it zipped.

I think he daid something to the effect that the A's weren't that good of a team to pounce us like they did last week in OAK. I think

Unregistered
05-05-2002, 12:09 AM
The exact buehrle quote:
"It was big. We don't think they were that good of a team to beat us 10 games in a row," said Buehrle, who became the first five-game winner in the American League.

BIG ****ING DEAL, HOWE.

that was hardly "talking smack". Buehrle was just making a TRUE statement. Jesus, you'd think he said something like "F the A's. They can all lick my crack."

GASHWOUND
05-05-2002, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by Unregistered
The exact buehrle quote:

BIG ****ING DEAL, HOWE.

that was hardly "talking smack". Buehrle was just making a TRUE statement. Jesus, you'd think he said something like "F the A's. They can all lick my crack."

That would be funny if he did say that :gulp: LOL

Chisox_cali
05-05-2002, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by GASHWOUND

Yeah it would :smile:

Unregistered
05-05-2002, 12:30 AM

Ha, imagine Art Howe's response... His head would probably explode.

YOFrankie
05-05-2002, 12:49 AM
didn't Buehrle get accused of this stuff in Cleveland also?

DVG
05-05-2002, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
What did Buehrle say?

Ya know, that's the freakin' problem with players and managers
these days. They're all such sensitive fellows.

Bmr31
05-05-2002, 01:28 AM

I think he daid something to the effect that the A's weren't that good of a team to pounce us like they did last week in OAK. I think

ummm hes right. The A's wont win more than 85 games.

RedPinStripes
05-05-2002, 03:16 AM
Well, the Sox are a young and quite a few like to talk and they are cocky. I don't have a problem with it as long as they can back it up.

What Mark said was not a shot at Oakland. He was referring to the 10 in a row and the ass whoopin last weekend. And if Howe won't admit that the Sox are much better then that, then he's an idiot.

If you look on any of the Mariner or A's boards, just about all the fans give the Sox a lot of credit and say that they are a real good team. This is why i haven't been in any brawls with them. They have brains. :D:

Unregistered
05-05-2002, 04:06 AM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
If you look on any of the Mariner or A's boards, just about all the fans give the Sox a lot of credit and say that they are a real good team. This is why i haven't been in any brawls with them. They have brains. :D:
It's actually funny that RPS says that...i was actually gonna start a new thread about this but decided not to...
The last two series i've just been looking at the opposing teams (m's, a's) boards (not trolling, thats just no class), and it's funny how they were both going on about what a slump their team is in, and how bad they look. the funny thing is, it seems like this year the sox have this way of making the other team look REALLY bad when they get the win. I mean, before the cameron fiasco we were spanking the m's in the series, and all the fans were like "trade boone, get more pitching!", and now on the oakland boards it's "let's face it, we're just NOT THAT GOOD". it's funny how a good spanking by the sox is so demoralizing. and it's true, it seems to me that this year when we get the W, we get it by beating the living crap out of the opposition.
Just an observation...

sox_fan_4life
05-05-2002, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by Unregistered

It's actually funny that RPS says that...i was actually gonna start a new thread about this but decided not to...
The last two series i've just been looking at the opposing teams (m's, a's) boards (not trolling, thats just no class), and it's funny how they were both going on about what a slump their team is in, and how bad they look. the funny thing is, it seems like this year the sox have this way of making the other team look REALLY bad when they get the win. I mean, before the cameron fiasco we were spanking the m's in the series, and all the fans were like "trade boone, get more pitching!", and now on the oakland boards it's "let's face it, we're just NOT THAT GOOD". it's funny how a good spanking by the sox is so demoralizing. and it's true, it seems to me that this year when we get the W, we get it by beating the living crap out of the opposition.
Just an observation...

Tha's true. Not only the A's and M's, but the Sox exposed the Indians for what they really are, and they still haven't recovered.
And I love that.

DrCrawdad
05-05-2002, 11:03 AM
Thanks for the information on what Buehrle said. It would have been good for the Tribmister to include that, I imagine others who read that article were wondering that too.

- DrCrawdad

rmusacch
05-05-2002, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Bmr31

ummm hes right. The A's wont win more than 85 games.

You are smoking crack if you think that the A's will not win mroe than 85 games.

Nellie_Fox
05-06-2002, 12:21 PM
They were all over this on KFAN in the Twin Cities this morning. They were saying that the Sox are getting too cocky, and one of the hosts actually said he now hopes that the Sox lose every game for the rest of the year.

Cool! A nasty, heated rivalry with the Twins! That will make the season that much more interesting.

I've got tickets for July 30th at the Hump Dump. Anybody else going to be there that day?

Iwritecode
05-06-2002, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
They were all over this on KFAN in the Twin Cities this morning. They were saying that the Sox are getting too cocky, and one of the hosts actually said he now hopes that the Sox lose every game for the rest of the year.

Cool! A nasty, heated rivalry with the Twins! That will make the season that much more interesting.

I've got tickets for July 30th at the Hump Dump. Anybody else going to be there that day?

I say pretty much the same thing every year about the Yanks too. Only problem is they usually back up what they say with their play on the field. It's not like Burly was talking smack either. He just said that they are a better team than what they showed that weekend. Then they came back home and proved it. As long as they can back up what they say, they can pretty much talk all they want IMO.

Pete_SSAC
05-06-2002, 02:26 PM

Wait hold on, let me get this straight....

The Twins, a team that is struting around like they are the sh*t because they can maintian a .5 game lead in the Central on a stready diet of sub .500 teams, thinks WE are cocky?

We have played 12 games against what I think to be the two toughest teams in the AL. the M's and A's. Granted, we went 5-7, but look at the losses....

2 games were blown by our bullpen, which is MUCH better now then it was then.

The sersis in Oakland was bad, but we were tired out, and we proved it when we got home to have a 4-2 homstand.

The "Black Thrusday" game against the M's was bad because of two pitchers that aren't even with the team.

ANd one of the Ace pitchers of the A's barely pulled off a win against our #3 guy, who has spent less than a year in the Big Leauges, not to mention not facing Lofton and Jose.

So, let's see, who has more of a right to get cocky, the team that has the AL's first 5 game winner (and prehapes the second, if Garland wins tonight), or a team's who's aces have ERA's hovering around 5 because of those ultra hard teams called the "Tigers" "Devil Rays", and "Royals".

*ahem*

:gulp:

- Pete

RedPinStripes
05-06-2002, 02:26 PM

Don't worry. I'm sure Matt Lawton and Torii Hunter will get their share of cockymeetings with the press in Chicago.

Foulke You
05-06-2002, 02:51 PM
I'm not seeing where all of this "swagger" the Sox are supposed to be displaying. Before we played Cleveland when they were 11-1 and coming into Comiskey Park chirping about how great they were, thumping their chests, and all the "nobody gave us a chance" nonsense, they were saying how WE were cocky. Even their friggin' GM thought we were cocky by saying:
"I think some of those Sox players have already pinned the Central Division title on themselves. We like our team and the Twins are pretty darn good too."

or what about Lawton's comment before the series:
"We have the better team. I know all of their weaknesses from when I played on Minnesota. They don't have the pitching and defense that we have."

Yet the Sox are the "cocky" team in the division. What did the Sox do to draw this fire? I don't recall the Sox blowing off the Twins or Tribe in ST. In fact, I remember Paulie saying how we had to play much better against the Twins if we had a chance this year. The only guy on our team who is a little cocky is Kenny Lofton and that is just the way he is. He was like that on Cleveland too. Kenny did say in ST that as far as he thought "Cleveland is looking up at us". He then backed off that statement saying they had a good ballclub. But Kenny definitely backs up his talk. I don't think the Sox should be labeled as cocky just because of one comment Lofton made during ST.

Nellie_Fox
05-06-2002, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
Don't worry. I'm sure Matt Lawton and Torii Hunter will get their share of cockymeetings with the press in Chicago.
Matt Lawton got traded to the Mets last year, and is now with the Jndjans.