PDA

View Full Version : Home Run Notes From Wednesday

StatManDu
06-05-2008, 02:13 PM
PAULIE
--Notched the third game-ending home run of his career in last night’s game (Others: April 25, 2001; June 3, 2001)
--Clubbed the first 15th inning home run in the history of U.S. Cellular Field in last night’s game
--Ended the third-longest game (tied with 6-2-95) at U.S. Cellular Field with a HR in the 15th yesterday (Longer games: 19 innings 7-9-06; 16 innings 8-16-05)
--Homer in the 15th was the first by a Sox player since Ron Karkovice’s solo blast in a 2-1 win at Kansas City 6-12-93
--Tied Baines for the club’s all-time lead with the fifth extra-inning HR of his career in last night’s game
--HR in the 15th last night was the latest in a game by a Sox player since Baines’ 25th inning game-winning blast on 5-9-84
--Recent Sox HRs in the 15th: Konerko 6-4-08 vs KC; Karkovice 6-12-93 (at KC); Fisk (7-11-87 at NY); Orta 9-19-72 at Oakland

THOME
--Launched the longest homer (464-feet) at U.S. Cellular Field this season in last night’s game
--Second all-time to Palmeiro (41) with 38 career home runs against Kansas City
--464-foot homer last night was the fifth-longest in the history of U.S. Cellular Field by a Sox player (Borchard, first, 504-feet, 8-30-04)
--Only player in U.S. Cellular Field history to hit a homer of at least 441-feet as both a member of the Sox and a visitor

Mr.1Dog
06-05-2008, 02:15 PM
Very cool. Thanks for that.:bandance:

skottyj242
06-05-2008, 02:15 PM
THOME
--464-foot homer last night was the fifth-longest in the history of U.S. Cellular Field (Borchard, first, 504-feet, 8-30-04)

Everything I have read says that it was the ninth longest? Was it the fourth longest by a White Sox player?

StatManDu
06-05-2008, 02:26 PM
Fifth longest by a Sox player ... I'll clarify. Thanks

TDog
06-05-2008, 06:12 PM
The great thing about baseball is that when you go to a game, you can see something you have never seen before and may remember for decades to come.

That Sept. 19, 1972, game in Oakland where Jorge Orta hit a 15th-inning home run was one of the all-time great games, by the way. For years I had the box score under glass. The Sox were clawing to stay in the race, and the A's tied it in the ninth on a two-out Joe Rudi single off Terry Forster, in his fifth inning of relief of starter Tom Bradley. The Sox scored twice in the 13th, but the A's came back with a Dave Duncan two-run homer off of Vicente Romo to send it to the 14th. Orta's home run came off of Gary Waslewski, pitching in maybe the last game of his career (he didn't make the roster for the ALCS or World Series that year). In the bottom of the inning, Rich Gossage, in his third inning of work, got Reggie Jackson out, I believe on a pop-up to third, I believe, with runners on first and third and one out. Tanner could have ordered Gossage to walk Jackson with the pitcher due up next, but they pitched to the A's superstar. With two outs, and the bench depleted, the A's had Kenny Holtzman pinch hit for Waslewski to end the game with a strikeout. (Joe Horlen wasn't available because the A's had already used him as he grounded out in the 13th.) The A's used 30 players in the game, pinch running starting pitcher Vida Blue at one point. The Sox used 21, although with the expanded rosters they could have gone deeper.

The game took nearly five hours to play, and in Chicago, it started at 10 p.m. because the A's started their games at 8 p.m. in those days.

I stayed up for the whole thing, listening to Harry Caray on the radio. And it was a school night.

Brian26
06-05-2008, 07:38 PM
--Ended the third-longest game (tied with 6-2-95) at U.S. Cellular Field with a HR in the 15th yesterday (Longer games: 19 innings 7-9-06; 16 innings 8-16-05)

Time-wise, last night's game was fairly quick for a 15-inning game, probably due to the Sox chasing so many first and second pitches.

--464-foot homer last night was the fifth-longest in the history of U.S. Cellular Field by a Sox player (Borchard, first, 504-feet, 8-30-04)
I'm pretty sure Thome is the only player to ever hit a ball onto the concourse in centerfield.

That Sept. 19, 1972, game in Oakland where Jorge Orta hit a 15th-inning home run was one of the all-time great games, by the way. For years I had the box score under glass. The Sox were clawing to stay in the race, and the A's tied it in the ninth on a two-out Joe Rudi single off Terry Forster, in his fifth inning of relief of starter Tom Bradley. The Sox scored twice in the 13th, but the A's came back with a Dave Duncan two-run homer off of Vicente Romo to send it to the 14th. Orta's home run came off of Gary Waslewski, pitching in maybe the last game of his career (he didn't make the roster for the ALCS or World Series that year). In the bottom of the inning, Rich Gossage, in his third inning of work, got Reggie Jackson out, I believe on a pop-up to third, I believe, with runners on first and third and one out. Tanner could have ordered Gossage to walk Jackson with the pitcher due up next, but they pitched to the A's superstar. With two outs, and the bench depleted, the A's had Kenny Holtzman pinch hit for Waslewski to end the game with a strikeout. (Joe Horlen wasn't available because the A's had already used him as he grounded out in the 13th.) The A's used 30 players in the game, pinch running starting pitcher Vida Blue at one point. The Sox used 21, although with the expanded rosters they could have gone deeper.

The game took nearly five hours to play, and in Chicago, it started at 10 p.m. because the A's started their games at 8 p.m. in those days.

I stayed up for the whole thing, listening to Harry Caray on the radio. And it was a school night.

Really awesome story. I enjoyed reading that.

thomas35forever
06-05-2008, 09:23 PM
StatMan, do you consider yourself one of "those stat geeks no one likes"?

White City
06-05-2008, 09:37 PM
What inning did Geoff Blum hit that one in the World Series? Or are you only speaking of the regular season?

thomas35forever
06-05-2008, 09:49 PM
What inning did Geoff Blum hit that one in the World Series? Or are you only speaking of the regular season?
14th